HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy to Join Habs

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

vCash: 500
I'd be happy if he's the new GM and or coach for next season.

But he needs to start evaluating the Habs players RIGHT NOW, to make sure he builds a competitive team. We have many youngsters that, I believe, don't belong in the NHL, and that's the hardest part to do, to EVALUATE the youngsters and sign UFAs to patch holes.

If a new GM is selected in the offseason, he'll have a harder time to evaluate the players in place, to sign the right support cast, than if he's hired before the end of this season. Then he can see at camp who trained hard in the offseason, etc.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Forsead

Funny cause this morning Francois Gagnon published that article http://www.cyberpresse.ca/chroniqueu...eil_ECRAN1POS1

on the subject and he is saying that Roy did not get any offer yet according to a reliable source. Hate him or not, but Gagnon is a legit reporter at least.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Protest the Hero

If Roy has already been offered the coaching job for next season, then that means either, Gauthier is sticking around, or Molson is going over the head of our next GM and hiring his own candidate.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:43 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
As just announced on The Jeff Blair show on fan590, globe and mail reporting that Roy has may have agreed to join the habs "in some capacity" for next season

link: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2375006/
Hello Grigrenko

Old
03-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Oh boy...

Old
03-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Funny cause this morning Francois Gagnon published that article http://www.cyberpresse.ca/chroniqueu...eil_ECRAN1POS1

on the subject and he is saying that Roy did not get any offer yet according to a reliable source. Hate him or not, but Gagnon is a legit reporter at least.

as the original article says

Quote:
There has been the predictable rush to slap down the scoop, and St. Patrick himself took to the airwaves in Quebec City to issue a denial that carefully skirts the meat of Leclerc's assertions: namely that Habs owner Geoff Molson has reached out to Roy, and that a deal is done, at least in principle, to re-join his former team.

Presumably this is a Clintonian moment where everything hinges on what the meaning of "is" and "done" are.

Here's our two cents worth on the subject: Roy ticks all the boxes for the Habs, he's a bilingual Francophone, he's an adored alumnus, he's a living link to the last Cup conquest, he's done good things in junior, with gusts to great. But he's also got maybe the shortest fuse in the history of coaching, and it's debatable that his tempest-in-a-suit-jacket act will translate well to the pros.

It would arguably make more sense to hand Roy the keys to the organization by making him vice-president of hockey operations or general-manager, a role he has thrived in for the Remparts - Roy evidently has a keen eye for talent and the ruthlessness required to bring it on board (and by the way, all this talk can't be seen as anything else than another signal the GM's job in Montreal is about to be vacated by Pierre Gauthier).

Old
03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Great now we just need mcguire to complete the **** show.
Are you implying that the Gauthier administration isn't a freak show?

Just because it's CIA-esque level of information retention doesn't mean the current administration isn't one cluster**** of amateurism regarding human behavior.

I won't mind a more open an emotive organization, as long as they know what to do and act like freaking human being.

There is no inherent value loss if you coach throws a tantrum, as long as it's in his coaching style. It would have destroyed JM's mystique of power if he had broken a sweat. Everybody knows what Roy is about, nothing wrong with HIM being emotive.

Plus he's clever enough to know when to attract attention to himself of he'd want to protect a struggling youngster from undue pressure.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Roy would bring back respectability to the Montreal Canadiens

Old
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
as the original article says

You didn't read my article.... it says that according to Gagnon source Roy phone hasn't had any conversation with anyone on the Habs.

It's not a shutdown by the habs brass Gagnon is independent.

Old
Ledevin

We won't know for sure if it's true or not, but the same thing happened with Guy Boucher when we tried to hire him from Drummondville. His team was still in the Memorial Cup run, and the rumors of him coming to Hamilton were intensifying. Journalists like Leroux interviewed him on this issue and of course Boucher kept denying. And what do we know, the rumors were true after all. What I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't read too much into what Roy or the Habs organization are saying right now. Roy is still the coach of the Remparts and wouldn't want to become a distraction for his team. The same goes for the Canadiens even though they are virtually eliminated from the playoffs. Whether the rumors are true or not, we'll know very shortly.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
If Roy has already been offered the coaching job for next season, then that means either, Gauthier is sticking around, or Molson is going over the head of our next GM and hiring his own candidate.
which in both cases would be a pretty bad decision to make from a President.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We've said this for every coach we hired in the past 10 years lol

Old
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
You didn't read my article.... it says that according to Gagnon source Roy phone hasn't had any conversation with anyone on the Habs.

It's not a shutdown by the habs brass Gagnon is independent.
you didn't read mine.

We don't need Gagnon's "source" when Patrick Roy's himself denied it, BUT you would expect him to say exactly that, as to not put his jr team in limbo before end of season .

Quote:
St. Patrick himself took to the airwaves in Quebec City to issue a denial that carefully skirts the meat of Leclerc's assertions: namely that Habs owner Geoff Molson has reached out to Roy, and that a deal is done, at least in principle, to re-join his former team.

Presumably this is a Clintonian moment where everything hinges on what the meaning of "is" and "done" are.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:56 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Are you implying that the Gauthier administration isn't a freak show?

Just because it's CIA-esque level of information retention doesn't mean the current administration isn't one cluster**** of amateurism regarding human behavior.

I won't mind a more open an emotive organization, as long as they know what to do and act like freaking human being.

There is no inherent value loss if you coach throws a tantrum, as long as it's in his coaching style. It would have destroyed JM's mystique of power if he had broken a sweat. Everybody knows what Roy is about, nothing wrong with HIM being emotive.

Plus he's clever enough to know when to attract attention to himself of he'd want to protect a struggling youngster from undue pressure.
Nah don't need this spaz coaching, if he wasnt an ex hab he wouldn't even get a look. The habs are in a lot better shape than people here think (i use the term "think" loosely).

Old
03-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
We've said this for every coach we hired in the past 10 years lol
I haven't. Who was that? Jacques Martin? Guy Carbonneau? RC? None of those guys have the power Patrick has

Old
03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Bullsmith

Roy might be a disaster, but he won't just settle for a mediocre club, and you can't really do much worse than we're doing now.

Interesting to see if and how this plays out.

Old
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Nah don't need this spaz coaching, if he wasnt an ex hab he wouldn't even get a look. The habs are in a lot better shape than people here think (i use the term "think" loosely).
the article says

Quote:
It would arguably make more sense to hand Roy the keys to the organization by making him vice-president of hockey operations or general-manager, a role he has thrived in for the Remparts

Old
Forsead

Quote:
you didn't read mine.

We don't need Gagnon's "source" when Patrick Roy's himself denied it, BUT you would expect him to say exactly that, as to not put his jr team in limbo before end of season .
If I understand, if Roy is denying it's because he it's a done deal and habs brass ask him to keep shut ?

Well, I'm sorry but there is also the possibility that he is denying, because it's false !

Old
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Or completely destroy it.
Quote:
I haven't. Who was that? Jacques Martin? Guy Carbonneau? RC? None of those guys have the power Patrick has
Yes, the power to bring the organization to a screetching halt.

There is big time risk with this move.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Coldplay
Courage

God almighty.

I'll reserve judgement if this actually happens, but from what we've seen from Roy in the Q...

Old
03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

I dont think he's allowed to tell the public that he got an offer from the Canadiens at this point. They are professionals and Roy has another job right now. He can't go to the public and say he was interviewed by Molson.

Example: If you work for RBC, and you get an interview with CIBC. You're not gonna tell your boss or anybody else you got that interview, until you actually land the job and give your 2 week notice. You know wut Im sayin?

It has to stay on a professional level

Old
03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Forsead

Quote:
the article says
You can also note that Jonathan Roy once said in an interview that he was seeing his father more as a GM than a coach in the NHL.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
If I understand, if Roy is denying it's because he it's a done deal and habs brass ask him to keep shut ?

Well, I'm sorry but there is also the possibility that he is denying, because it's false !
Pierre Gauthier said he wasn't going to fire Martin

Brian Burke said he wasn't going to fire Ron Wilson....

Weeks later ..
you get my drift

Hockey is ALOT like politics,say one thing mean another.....
Deny until time is right

Old
03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Or completely destroy it.

Yes, the power to bring the organization to a screetching halt.

There is big time risk with this move.
Well see, I always said it would be better to put him in charge and making him the President of the team but I guess he wouldn't accept that position and wants to either coach or manage

Old
03-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Pierre Gauthier said he wasn't going to fire Martin

Brian Burke said he wasn't going to fire Ron Wilson....

Weeks later ..
you get my drift

Hockey is ALOT like politics,say one thing mean another.....
It's still just speculation based on nothing...

There is two possibility here and we got journalists with their sources that have two differents informations, I'm trusting Gagnon more than those others clowns.

Closed Thread