HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Cinderella runs

Old
03-13-2012, 01:55 AM
BLBarmada

vCash: 500
Cinderella runs

Hi

My playoffs started this today, we're the 13th seed, in a 17 team league, 1st place got a bye.

So we played 6th place tonight, in our rink execept they got home team.

We won 2-0, no its do or die, it's my last year minor hockey, I've never won a banner, we play Wednesday, win we move on, lose hello beer leagues.

So we're playing either 8th or 10th depending on who lost.

So does anyone have any stories to share ? About great but unlikely runs ?

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We were a few games outside the cutoff down the stretch in a 20 game season last year. Facing the best team we were outshot something like 25-8 in the first period, then came back from 3-0 to force OT, and I got the game winner. We went on a roll after that winning out and sneaking in to a low seed. Once again had to play the #1 team and actually dominated. Then had to play the #1 team from the other division who hadn't lost a game and we beat them as well. Finally we went up against a team we'd beaten a number of times but there goalie was just on, making something like 40-45 saves including at least 10 saves with the extra man in the dying minutes and we lost 1-0.

So...close to a Cinderella run.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 01:07 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Hi

My playoffs started this today, we're the 13th seed, in a 17 team league, 1st place got a bye.

We won 2-0, no its do or die, it's my last year minor hockey, I've never won a banner, we play Wednesday, win we move on, lose hello beer leagues.

I don't have any stories to share (most people don't - thats what makes them rare and special) but it sounds like you have a chance to write a bit of your own history here.

Keep us updated in this thread, I'm curious to see how things turn out. Sounds like you guys are gonna be heading into your 8th/10th seed game with a bunch of confidence - thats how Cinderella runs are born.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 05:15 PM
BLBarmada

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I don't have any stories to share (most people don't - thats what makes them rare and special) but it sounds like you have a chance to write a bit of your own history here.

Keep us updated in this thread, I'm curious to see how things turn out. Sounds like you guys are gonna be heading into your 8th/10th seed game with a bunch of confidence - thats how Cinderella runs are born.
We got the 8th seed, weve beat them but they've also beat us.

Old
03-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Trevor3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
Hi

Good luck!

I never won a banner at all either in provincial competition or house league.

The junior team I play for has been existence for 3 years. Every year we've been in the playoffs and every year we've been swept. Not a single playoff win in 3 years of club history.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Frankie Spankie

My "cinderella" story is beer league so nothing crazy. There's 4 teams, we were 1-11, our 1 win was with a sub goalie because our normal goalie was traveling. We ended up with our normal goalie in net for the playoffs, and won the championship. After that, the whole league always just says, "You only have to win the last 2." There's only two rounds of the playoffs, like I said it's just a beer league for fun.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:38 PM
BLBarmada

We countinued our run, we just won tonight upsetting #2.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Thepandamancan

It was my first season and we barely won one game...but it was enough to get us into the playoffs. We all thought, yeah right...we're not gonna beat the best team in the league the first round of the playoffs. They were this uber good Armenian team...wore all red...looked like the Russians. We ended up beating them so badly that they were swearing at each other in English.

In the championship game, we played the 2nd best team in the league and had a nice lead, but we let it go. The game went to sudden death OT. Just like Patrick Kane in 2010 (actually this was just a couple weeks after that) a guy on our team scores the most subtlest goal ever. No one knew it had gone in but him.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
My story happened with a series of coincidences. When I was in Bantam I played on a very good team that was ranked 4th in the standings by December. Every year most teams go to tournaments during xmas break. Because of this, there are no league games the last 11 days of December.

Most of the tournaments in the province were full, so we went to a local tournament as a last second thing. It ended up that the tournament was all the teams in our league ranked 1 through 5 as they had the same problem in finding a place to play during the xmas break.

The round robin was a disaster, we lost vs. the 1st and 2nd ranked team tied the 3rd place team and won against the 5th place team in a do or die game to make the playoffs.

We played #1 in the semi finals and won 2-0 (i scored both goals by the way ) in a shocking upset. I never had parents from the other team congratulate us in the hallways ever except after that game.

We had tons of momentum in the final and got up to a quick 4-0 lead on the #2 ranked team by the 2nd period. From that point we hung on for our lives the rest of the 2nd and the 3rd as they came back to score 3 straight goals and dominated the play. However with goalie pulled I was able to score in the empty net and we won 5-3.

We lost in the playoffs that year, as the better teams didn't take us too lightly the second time around but it was really fun to get hot at the right time and ride 7 1/2 periods of flawless hockey to a tournament championship.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote