HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What snipers should we seek BESIDES Parise?

Old
03-19-2012, 05:06 PM
bernmeister

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Imagine if Columbus IS shopping their 1st this year (Yakupov). Rangers trade Staal, Dubinsky/Anisimov, McIlrath, and a 1st for it (or whatever that package they were asking for Rick Nash was).

2013 could look like:
Yakupov-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Dubinsky/Anisimov-Miller
XXX-Boyle-Rupp

MDZ-Girardi
MCD-Erixon
Sauer-Stralman

And that's without signing a single free-agent (even if Dubinsky stays in favor of Anisimov, this would still give the Rangers about 10-11 million dollars of cap-space if Kreider and Yakupov got max bonus deals and that 4th line spot is taken by a $1 million player, with Stepan, Hagelin, Erixon, Sauer, and McD being the only free-agents to resign in the next season). There are just too many options available for next year, when a CBA will be officially worked out (no concerns over cap going from 70 mil to a cutback within months), and too many elite-level FA available. Pass on Parise (my bet is on Nashville, for a variety of reasons, anyway), see what the draft and new CBA brings first. Don't trade the farm for $7.8 million Rick Nash. I don't care what he MIGHT be in another system with "real" players. If we are selling off that much, I want a cost-controlled 18 year old on an ELC, not an extremely expensive 65 point winger. Sign a few fillers if you have to, target guys like Justin Schultz otherwise, and keep it going with what they have. I know it's a "long way off," but now is the time to start setting the team up for that summer of 2014. That's going to be a killer unless they can make some shrewd moves now.
Think Girardi + Dubi + Stepan are enough for the 1st?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:23 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
Rangers trade Staal, Dubinsky/Anisimov, McIlrath, and a 1st for it (or whatever that package they were asking for Rick Nash was).
You are dealing ALL that for a draft pick? YIKES!!!!

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:26 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Think Girardi + Dubi + Stepan are enough for the 1st?
That's so not worth it.

Stepan is off limits and Girardi should not be traded unless we know we're signing Suter to eat his minutes. Depth on D is so important, and with the potential long-term loss of Sauer, we should be looking to add to it if anythin, not trade a guy who plays 30 minutes a night and then hope Erixon or McIlrath can be the exception (like McDonagh and Staal) rather than the rule.

As good as Yakupov is, we're close to being an elite team. It's not the time to trade multiple key players who are on very good contracts for one guy. I'd rather go hard after Parise or Suter, and if Suter, then I'm sure we can offer DZ+ for a young-ish goal scoring winger on a good contract (Ryan, Pavelski) or see if the price for Nash and his huge contract came back to a reasonable value (meaning no DZ, Stepan, McD or Kreider). To be more clear, I'd only trade DZ for a winger on a good contract. I'm not giving him up for a 7.8 winger who usually isn't even a point a game player.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:36 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
That's so not worth it.

Stepan is off limits and Girardi should not be traded unless we know we're signing Suter to eat his minutes. Depth on D is so important, and with the potential long-term loss of Sauer, we should be looking to add to it if anythin, not trade a guy who plays 30 minutes a night and then hope Erixon or McIlrath can be the exception (like McDonagh and Staal) rather than the rule.

As good as Yakupov is, we're close to being an elite team. It's not the time to trade multiple key players who are on very good contracts for one guy. I'd rather go hard after Parise or Suter, and if Suter, then I'm sure we can offer DZ+ for a young-ish goal scoring winger on a good contract (Ryan, Pavelski) or see if the price for Nash and his huge contract came back to a reasonable value (meaning no DZ, Stepan, McD or Kreider). To be more clear, I'd only trade DZ for a winger on a good contract. I'm not giving him up for a 7.8 winger who usually isn't even a point a game player.
Pavelski is a center isn't he?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 05:46 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
That's so not worth it.

I'm sure you can offer, I'm not sure they accept.
Young scorers with good contracts are at a premium. Is MDZ enough?
Also, I'd rather move Stepan instead of MDZ IF we are certain to get back likes of Yakupov, Hall, etc.

If we get Yakupov and have moved Dubi, it is not certain, but there could be a shot that Suter would be more willing to come here and add to our young D replacing Giarardi, but we still have most of our guys except maybe Sauer. But if we don't step up big time, and Suter is looking at more uphill games from severely struggling offense and an impotent PP, he may well go elsewhere.

Old
03-19-2012, 09:40 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Young scorers with good contracts are at a premium.
Young defensemen on good contracts are even more of a premium.
Quote:
Also, I'd rather move Stepan instead of MDZ IF we are certain to get back likes of Yakupov, Hall, etc.
There is no guarantee that Yakupov can become the player that Stepan is.
Quote:
But if we don't step up big time, and Suter is looking at more uphill games from severely struggling offense and an impotent PP, he may well go elsewhere.
Forget about the other things that are wrong with this, but you are presuming that the young Ranger forwards do not take any steps forward. Between them and the young defensemen, the Rangers offense imporves organically.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
I'm sure you can offer, I'm not sure they accept.
Young scorers with good contracts are at a premium. Is MDZ enough?

If we get Yakupov and have moved Dubi, it is not certain, but there could be a shot that Suter would be more willing to come here and add to our young D replacing Giarardi, but we still have most of our guys except maybe Sauer. But if we don't step up big time, and Suter is looking at more uphill games from severely struggling offense and an impotent PP, he may well go elsewhere.
I said DZ+.

And as enticing as Hall or Yakupov would be, we can't afford to lose Stepan. Anisimov has made no progress this season. In fact, I'd say he took a step back offensively. His timing has been off all year. He's always a step behind in shooting, passing, and receiving passes. He'd become our 2nd line center. And if Richards or Anisimov get hurt? Then Brian Boyle is our 2nd line center.

I don't see why Hall would be traded for anything anyway, and although it seems Howson may just be dumb enough to trade the first overall, the asking price would be higher than Nash and I'm not interested in gutting a team that is one piece away from being an elite team for years to come. We are not desperate like SJ to win this year or next. We should go for it, of course, but we don't need to take huge gambles just yet. Try to land Parise. If not, maybe go after Suter and then trading DZ+ becomes much easier to swallow to land a top winger. If not, start Kreider and wait it out. If Dubinsky returns to form, and Kreider can just score 20 goals and not look out of place, we may not even need to add a winger immediately. Every year some surprise top winger becomes available for various reasons. Its time to get creative for sure, but we also still have the luxury of being patient and waiting for the right deal and the right player to become available.

Old
03-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

here's my new wet dream for the offseason:

Gaborik, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Thomas, McIlrath, 1st for Nash and the 1st overall.

Sign Suter to a 9 year deal at a 6.25 cap hit.

Hagelin Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan Yakupov
Dubinsky Miller Callahan or if Miller isn't ready Zuccarello Dubinsky Callahan
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi
Erixon Stralman/Sauer/cheap vet FA

Lundqvist
Johnson

Old
03-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

...I walk in here...and walk out...this is indeed some things that make you go hmm...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:05 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:

Gaborik, Del Zotto, Anisimov, Thomas, McIlrath, 1st for Nash and the 1st overall.

Hagelin Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan Yakupov
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi

Lundqvist
Johnson
Wet Dream should replace trade proposal? Perfect!

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Thumpz

Quote:

Hagelin Richards Nash
Kreider Stepan Yakupov
Rupp Boyle Prust
Mitchell

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi

Lundqvist
Johnson
Can I join in on this wet dream? I know there is NO way this would ever happen, but this would be exactly the type of team I'd want to see for 4-5 years straight.

Thumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:31 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

My bet is that Ryan wont get traded at the draft. BB wont allow it. He's played like a horse under him, and BB loves offensive players. I'm still trying to figure out why Ryan would want to leave Orange County with a player's coach and a nice contract. I dont buy into the whole Cherry Hill BS. Ryan has a great life in SoCal. Anaheim had 47 wins and 99 points a year ago. They had one bad 1st half and everyone wanted to blow the team up.

The Rangers still lack a legitimate, No. 1 franchise defenseman. Sorry, but Marc Staal is not one, he never was, and he never will be. Macdonagh might. MDZ might. Ryan Suter already is one.

You have to let Kreider get a chance. Every scout is in love with his kid, as is every GM. He's got a ton to prove, he young, cheap and hungry. There's too big a risk in signing Parise (who I love) and Nash will cost a ton.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 11:59 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
...I walk in here...and walk out...this is indeed some things that make you go hmm...
It is like opening a door to another dimension. lol

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:51 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
The Rangers still lack a legitimate, No. 1 franchise defenseman. Sorry, but Marc Staal is not one, he never was, and he never will be. Macdonagh might. MDZ might. Ryan Suter already is one.
How quickly people forget just how good Staal is.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
How quickly people forget just how good Staal is.
Indeed.

03-20-2012, 08:36 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Indeed.
next year, he will be heralded as the next great shutdown defenseman again. and it will be time to trade an MCD orna MDZ. I cannot believe just how short peoples' memories are.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:52 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
next year, he will be heralded as the next great shutdown defenseman again. and it will be time to trade an MCD orna MDZ. I cannot believe just how short peoples' memories are.
It's not personal. It's business. He's got the biggest cap hit with the longest term of all the defensemen. MDZ and Macdonagh are up for new contracts soon. The team did fine without him.

And calling Staal "great" is Rangers fan hyperbole. I never bought into it. He's had very strong showings and has the defensive ability to develop into a Norris-caliber defender. But he hasnt dont that yet.

Staal was drafted in 2005. Seven years later, he's received one 5th place Norris vote in five NHL seasons (counting this season).

Sorry, but I have a hard time calling him "great". I trade him now while he has some value.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Mrpuck

The more I see the Devils play, the more I feel Parise is not even what this team needs. Not going to deny the guy is a good player, but as even some Devil fans have pointed out he's not really a sniper. I almost wonder if Nash would be the better option for our team. Granted Parise would cost zero assets if he would be swayed to come here.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:19 AM
NYR Viper

Parise is Ryan Callahan with a better scoring touch. His motor is almost unbeatable and his hockey sense is through the roof. Just because he doesn't shoot lasers and drive guys through the boards does not make him a seriously gifted hockey player.

He also practices with Stepan in the off-season so I would imagine they have some chemistry. Yes please to Zach Parise.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:32 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Parise is Ryan Callahan with a better scoring touch. His motor is almost unbeatable and his hockey sense is through the roof. Just because he doesn't shoot lasers and drive guys through the boards does not make him a seriously gifted hockey player.

He also practices with Stepan in the off-season so I would imagine they have some chemistry. Yes please to Zach Parise.
I like the Devils fan who came on here and said he isnt a sniper. Yeah, all those 30-goal seasons were the result of empty netters and deflections.

Parise is a stud. Easily one of the best forwards in the game. He's one year off a major knee injury and Deboer is playing him 21:39 a game -- thats a full three minutes more a game than he played in his 45-goal season a couple of years ago.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
bernmeister

RECENT BREAKING NEWS
Radulov is officially back in the picture for Preds; would consider him a bonafide sniper. They've got the balance of that ELC before they even have to begin to think about it, but then they are looking at $$$/cap.

With Radulov officially NHL again, please also consider strategies which are influenced by his presence.

Again thanks for all constructive posts to date.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:33 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
RECENT BREAKING NEWS
Radulov is officially back in the picture for Preds; would consider him a bonafide sniper. They've got the balance of that ELC before they even have to begin to think about it, but then they are looking at $$$/cap.

With Radulov officially NHL again, please also consider strategies which are influenced by his presence.

Again thanks for all constructive posts to date.
Apparently he is going back to ufa at the end of the year...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I like the Devils fan who came on here and said he isnt a sniper. Yeah, all those 30-goal seasons were the result of empty netters and deflections.

Parise is a stud. Easily one of the best forwards in the game. He's one year off a major knee injury and Deboer is playing him 21:39 a game -- thats a full three minutes more a game than he played in his 45-goal season a couple of years ago.
Parise is not a sniper....he's just plain not. Do you consider Ryan Callahan a sniper/ They are almost the exact same player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
SauceCheese91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Parise is not a sniper....he's just plain not. Do you consider Ryan Callahan a sniper/ They are almost the exact same player.
Seriously? I'll be the first to admit that I do not watch many Devils games other than against the Rangers or when they are on tv in Canada, but I would have to disagree big time. Although Parise seems to be a solid defensive player in his own end, he is a way better offensive talent then Callahan. Parise is a dangerous player from any position in the offensive zone, which just isn't the case with Cally.

SauceCheese91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
Apparently he is going back to ufa at the end of the year...
that's not my understanding of the situation

Ufa will retain his rights, but I do not think he is returning after this season.

He will be an RFA after this season and will get a much nicer contract.

I think he sticks around.

I'd like to get him on the Rangers

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote