HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Patrick Roy to Join Habs

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
one things for sure, if Roy comes back to the organization it will provide for some excitement either way.

while I get the concerns about his antics not working at the pro level, one only has to look at tortorella & his success to see an example of a fiery "over-the-top" personality able to have success leading an NHL team.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Xss

At least no one will complain about boring press conference anymore.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
It's still just speculation based on nothing...

There is two possibility here and we got journalists with their sources that have two differents informations, I'm trusting Gagnon more than those others clowns.
9 games till end of year, and if the Pierre "the tank" Gauthier is back, this team is on the wrong track .

IF you remember the words of a former Habs Pierre Boivin talkin about fishin in the small pool, then there is not much speculation on Roy to Montreal at all....

Habs need to clean the decks way before draft,which means house cleaning is very soon .

ALSO bringin in ROY? he will pick Grigorenko

that isn't Terry Ryan

Brining in ROY? he will get RADULOV

that isn't Eric Chouinard

Last edited by Habaneros: 03-20-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old
03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xss View Post
At least no one will complain about boring press conference anymore.
The Wings are who we thought they were!!!! And we let 'em off the hook! NOW if you wanna crown 'em....

Old
03-20-2012, 11:18 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

BTW,

He's nominated for coach of the year and GM of the year in the Q.

He was asked this morning about the rumours. His answer:

Kathleen Lavoie ‏ @kathleenlavoie
Patrick Roy sur le Canadien: "Je n'ai jamais eu d'appel de M. Molson et quand j'entends dire qu'ils ont des sources béton, je trouve (1/2)

Kathleen Lavoie ‏ @kathleenlavoie
Roy: "...que le monde journalistique, des fois, se couvre de ridicule." Dernière conv. avec les Molson lors du retrait de son chandail (2/2)

I never got a call from M. Molson and when I hear about solid sources from journalists, I think they look absurd.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

He'll be GM and then we'll play Detroit. We'll get destroyed. Head coach will leave Price on the ice with 17 goals against. Then Price will walk up to Roy and be like.... "I told you they'd beat us. You owe me $20."

Old
03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Please be true.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
I'll believe it when I see it.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well, maybe he'll be amazing. I have serious concerns but he could turn out to be awesome. As others have said he's competitive and will do what it takes to win. If he does become coach I will just hope that he's learned from his past mistakes hope for the best.

There won't be 1 player on the Habs grabbing it's ass I can assure you that. If they do they won't last long

Old
03-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
BTW,

He's nominated for coach of the year and GM of the year in the Q.
Dale Hunter was a 3 time OHL coach of the year, he really turned the Capitals around huh?

Honestly, we have nothing to lose giving him a shot as coach, unless he drives Price to pull a Patrick Roy, he can't be any worse than RC. I don't want him anywhere near the GM position though.

At the very least it'll be entertaining and he will clean out the guys who don't really want to be here.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
McSorleyStick
CYBORK

" playoffs ? you're talking about playoffs ? I just hope we can win a game "

Old
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Beakermania*

So basically all it is, was other people repeating Leclerc's rumor? Good to know.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Dale Hunter was a 3 time OHL coach of the year, he really turned the Capitals around huh?

Honestly, we have nothing to lose giving him a shot as coach, unless he drives Price to pull a Patrick Roy, he can't be any worse than RC. I don't want him anywhere near the GM position though.

At the very least it'll be entertaining and he will clean out the guys who don't really want to be here.
The Caps are probably playing their best hockey of the year right now and have lost Backstrom since early January. Not really fair to Hunter

Old
03-20-2012, 11:34 AM
SNM87
Habby Habitants

I want confirmation haha. This is tough, a 307-138 win/loss record in the QMJHL over the past 7 seasons with a Memorial Cup. We have given other coaches opportunities in the past with less credentials then that. However, if Roy does join our organization, I kinda hoped he would spend some time in the AHL coaching first. I guess that didn't work out so well for Guy Boucher as he took off first chance he got after AHL success. If Patrick Roy comes to the Habs organization, he will be his own boss, he has done an amazing job building a solid team in the Quebec Remparts who have been one of the top squads in the CHL since he took over 7 years back. You cannot deny that he has an eye for talent as well as a technical understanding of the game itself. If he doesn't come on as a coach, maybe he comes in as an assistant GM or in another Hockey Operations capacity just to get his feet wet at the Pro level.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
The Caps are probably playing their best hockey of the year right now and have lost Backstrom since early January. Not really fair to Hunter
Hunter was put in a tough position and certainly can't be faulted for much but there has been a lot of complaints about his tactics, there's no real system in place yet. I'll see what he can do with a full season but it's been a major adjustment.

The point still stands that coaching professionals and kids is a very different thing. It's the same reason so many great NCAA football and basketball coaches flopped in the pro leagues, when you deal with experienced adults with long term contracts and guys who are committed for more than a few years the tough guy routine will simply get you tuned out.

Roy obviously knows his hockey, he lives for the game and from all reports knows a bit of everything. He's also an impulsive, arrogant hothead who I wouldn't trust around the salary cap. However as a coach he'd at least bring innovation.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Halifaxhab

Roy may end up being a great coach in Montreal. But he has no Pro experience. But there is no denying his will to win. If that's all it took, then he's the next Scotty Bowman.

As for GM. Well, why not Scotty Bowman? He wanted the job 40 years ago. Maybe he'd do it now? Please Scotty..... please?

Old
03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
habsfan92

Quote:
Or completely destroy it.

Yes, the power to bring the organization to a screetching halt.

There is big time risk with this move.
There is respectibility to lose? Organization to a screetching halt?
We are last place in the conference. Poised for a top 5 pick. Nothing left to lose.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92 View Post
There is respectibility to lose? Organization to a screetching halt?
We are last place in the conference. Poised for a top 5 pick. Nothing left to lose.
He could dismantle the team and alienate the young players we're building around. That's what scares me.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that still think bringing Patrick Roy in as coach can't be anything but a home run.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
thom

patrick roy

I like he hates losing but is he not the same guy who quit on the habs and demanded a trade.Too bad savard didn't trade Lafleur.Roy cries and gets what he wants.In 1979 Habs hired Bernie Geoffrion and you know what happened?

Old
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM
Et le But

Quote:
He could dismantle the team and alienate the young players we're building around. That's what scares me.
Same here, also a lot of his success at the Q level involved throwing money around and personal recruiting in ways that won't translate to a league that revolved around drafting and the salary cap. He's not clueless the way Milbury is but he has the temper and arrogance that leasts to moves like Milbury's Yashin trade and Burke's Kessel trade.

Coaching is another story, my only main concern is he'd be difficult to fire if he's a complete flop. I'm also not sure I trust him around young players he didn't pick himself. Though Pacioretty and Eller seem like the kind of guys he'd love.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

Would he bring his son ?

Old
03-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that still think bringing Patrick Roy in as coach can't be anything but a home run.
a PR home run is a guarantee. But can he translate his success in the Q to the NHL? Will his style work with the core that we have?

How is this a home run for wins?

Old
03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
a PR home run is a guarantee. But can he translate his success in the Q to the NHL? Will his style work with the core that we have?

How is this a home run for wins?
Uh, agreed?

Old
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Can't make a comment on this since I'm not really sure what his strength are in a managerial perspective. I think he'll be good for Price as a mentor though, he has the experience what to do and not to do in Montreal.
Will he mentor Carey on how to be a good husband and father?

Closed Thread