HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Alain Vigneault Discussion - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Vigneault's a great coach-- people who want to see him gone are nuts, and will complain about anything, IMO.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:34 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
As I said, their team is not as good as it once was, so perhaps they're getting exposed on the road where Babcock can't get the defensive match-ups he wants. Why is it relevant?

Would anyone actually trade our current roster for Detroits? I don't think so. Yet they are right behind us in the standings.
I do not think many fans would trade our roster with any roster. I am very confident with what we got now and I am looking forward to play-off.

Old
03-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Vigneault's a great coach-- people who want to see him gone are nuts, and will complain about anything, IMO.
Yes I know it's in poor taste to bump this thread after another horrible loss, and I will get flamed for even suggesting AV can be fired.

Anyways, AV should be asking his bud Michel Therrien what to expect if things aren't going well, and if we cannot win the Cup once again this post season.

Quote:
Therrien finished four games behind Eddie Johnston for the longest tenure as Penguins' head coach.

Dan Bylsma took over as head coach. He continued to reside in Pittsburgh and followed the team as they advanced to the Stanley Cup Finals and won the Stanley cup in game 7 in Detroit.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Yes I know it's in poor taste to bump this thread after another horrible loss, and I will get flamed for even suggesting AV can be fired.

Anyways, AV should be asking his bud Michel Therrien what to expect if things aren't going well, and if we cannot win the Cup once again this post season.
I'm sure he's well aware and does not need to contact Therrien.

Most coaches would be well aware. It's the nature of their position.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

He has made some mind boggling decisions tonight. Still a great coach, though. There really aren't many coaches who put their players to succeed at their absolute best capability than he can. People wanting to having him fired solely for said decisions is idiotic, and should have their posting rights dispatched.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:42 AM
keslerburrows

AV is a great coach. No worries here.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:54 AM
David71

he's a good coach, gets the best out of his players most of the time. sometimes in the playoffs, he fails to adapt to the opposing coach's tactics. plus his lineup changes is always somewhat questionable. sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:11 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I think we should fire him if we do not win the cup this year, no longer will we see inferior players like Raymond, Wiese, Ritchie in the last minute of play despite being down a goal, no long we need to see Aaron Rome on the powerplay or even in the roster when Ballard is not even playing, it got so bad that it takes a suspension to get Ballard back into the game. I never seen a team that lacks preparation as little as AV did to his team, i never see a SC final where a team only score 8 goals in 7 games (oh, of course blame the goalie)

Never been a fan since his hiring back in 2006, probably never will be.

Old
03-19-2012, 04:09 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
he's a good coach, gets the best out of his players most of the time. sometimes in the playoffs, he fails to adapt to the opposing coach's tactics. plus his lineup changes is always somewhat questionable. sometimes it works and sometime it doesn't.
I always hear this when people talk about AV, and I'm not sure whether to agree or not myself. There are things I notice in series that could be evidence of this but I don't know nearly enough to make a definitive conclusion. Is there concrete proof?

Old
03-20-2012, 02:07 AM
Bleach Clean

Don't wanna be _that_ guy, but I think AV is done in VAN at the conclusion of this season.

The cup is the hardest trophy to win. I think the nux will go far, but won't win the prize. Which should mean the exit of one Alain Vigneault. He's had his run-- and Gollum does have a point in saying that this core group is owed a shot with another bench boss before their time is done.

I haven't been a huge fan, so my take is a little biased. He's a solid coach that has definite limitations. But you could do a lot worse. Hopefully, he can make a strong run in his last kick at the can.

Old
03-20-2012, 02:17 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
I always hear this when people talk about AV, and I'm not sure whether to agree or not myself. There are things I notice in series that could be evidence of this but I don't know nearly enough to make a definitive conclusion. Is there concrete proof?
yeah he almost blew a 3 game lead against Chicago and blew a two game lead against Boston. He can't seem to adapt as well as other teams and they figure him out.

Old
03-20-2012, 02:21 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
yeah he almost blew a 3 game lead against Chicago and blew a two game lead against Boston. He can't seem to adapt as well as other teams and they figure him out.
"He" blew the 3 game lead against Chicago, and the 2 game lead against Boston? I didn't realize he was in the lineup those games? I guess that absolves the rest of the players of any fault....good deal, fire the coach and all the problems are solved!

Old
03-20-2012, 02:40 AM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Ron Wilson is looking for a new job....

Old
03-20-2012, 03:45 AM
oceanchild

Perhaps Phil Jackson could modify his triangle offence for the ice? this team could use the zen master.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:37 AM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Don't wanna be _that_ guy, but I think AV is done in VAN at the conclusion of this season.

The cup is the hardest trophy to win. I think the nux will go far, but won't win the prize. Which should mean the exit of one Alain Vigneault. He's had his run-- and Gollum does have a point in saying that this core group is owed a shot with another bench boss before their time is done.

I haven't been a huge fan, so my take is a little biased. He's a solid coach that has definite limitations. But you could do a lot worse. Hopefully, he can make a strong run in his last kick at the can.
This team is on a downward spiral heading to the playoffs.AV imo is safe for now,but that all depends on what happens in the playoffs.I do not believe that they are just resting up for the playoffs,and these games with teams like CLB,Minn, are just dont care games.Thats BS.This team just is crap right now.It is what it is.Last years ride to the finals was great,but it is not happening this year.There are to many question marks.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:50 AM
NYVanfan

i have always been an AV supporter, and still am.

the one thing that has troubled me though, is the classic meltdowns we've seen in the playoffs; the ones that IMO too often unfairly get pinned on Luongo. Other teams this good just don't seem to have debacles like the earlier Chicago series (could include last year's Chicago series, nearly), and the Boston series; meltdowns that result in 7 or 8 goals against. Hard not to question the coach's share of blame for those.

I'm not sure what to make of it -- on the one hand I think it's a result of our style, which is quite offensively creative, and clearly we have more talent on O than on D...so we can hang the goalie out to dry quite brutally. But on the other hand when things go wrong they really go wrong, and that speaks to the psychology of the team, which is largely a coach's purview, right?

Last night's loss officially moved me from not worried about this slump to a bit worried. They need to get fired up quickly or they will find themselves an early round casualty..

Old
03-20-2012, 11:25 AM
kootenayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
i have always been an AV supporter, and still am.

the one thing that has troubled me though, is the classic meltdowns we've seen in the playoffs; the ones that IMO too often unfairly get pinned on Luongo. Other teams this good just don't seem to have debacles like the earlier Chicago series (could include last year's Chicago series, nearly), and the Boston series; meltdowns that result in 7 or 8 goals against. Hard not to question the coach's share of blame for those.

I'm not sure what to make of it -- on the one hand I think it's a result of our style, which is quite offensively creative, and clearly we have more talent on O than on D...so we can hang the goalie out to dry quite brutally. But on the other hand when things go wrong they really go wrong, and that speaks to the psychology of the team, which is largely a coach's purview, right?

Last night's loss officially moved me from not worried about this slump to a bit worried. They need to get fired up quickly or they will find themselves an early round casualty..
This. The time to really worry is in April, if they continue to play this way at that time.. well...we won't have to worry for long. And it should make for a very interesting off season.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
luongo321

I have a question. A lot of people talk about how he's a great coach, but if you have the same coach for quite a few years, when do you stop learning something new from them? When is it time to hire a new coach (assuming there's a good one available) just so players can be taught from another perspective? It's quite clear that a new coach could bring in valuable new information and then the team can learn even more. It's not as if they'd forget everything that AV has taught them. Does that make sense? Just curious.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
Scurr

I hope I don't get to find out but I think AV would survive a first round exit. This team is built around the strategy that Gillis and AV have put together, they just got to the finals last season and I think Gillis really believes in these coaches and what they are doing.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
I have a question. A lot of people talk about how he's a great coach, but if you have the same coach for quite a few years, when do you stop learning something new from them? When is it time to hire a new coach (assuming there's a good one available) just so players can be taught from another perspective? It's quite clear that a new coach could bring in valuable new information and then the team can learn even more. It's not as if they'd forget everything that AV has taught them. Does that make sense? Just curious.
I don't think these players will learn anything significant about the game from a new coach. The only things they'll learn is how to play the system the new coach wants to implement and what they can and can't get away with.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Great coaches are constantly learning themselves, adapting and bringing something new to the table. That's part of what makes them a great coach. It's also a good idea to rotate some new blood in there with assistant coaches, and the team has done that.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
As one of Av's harsher critics... I think Mike Gillis needs to take some heat..

Mike hasn't given him much to work with for change.... the team is exactly the same as years past baring minor tweaks. I feel that this team is weaker then last years team.

This team in my opinion is a lot worst without Christian Erhoff. Our defense is horrendous. Rome, Alberts? I mean really... when do you just cut the cord and go to a new direction.. Then you put Gragnadi in there.... and finally 36 year old Sami Salo...

Face it folks... Our defense is part of the problem. We can overrate it all we want, but most teams have a deeper group then us. How long until we look at Rome and Albert and finally decide to go to a new direction?

And Ballard? Mike needed to admit his mistake... I would rather overpay Ehrhoff who I feel is at his prime then have a 4.5 million dollar 6th paring defensemen.

Although AV deserves some of the blame for the struggles, Mike needs to take some heat as well.

And don't say Mike didn't have any cap space... he had so much to work with in the Trade Deadline...

What happens when one of Hamhuis, Edler or Bieksa goes down in the playoffs?

It will be like years past... Rome and Albert slot in to get pummeled.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:32 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I hope I don't get to find out but I think AV would survive a first round exit. This team is built around the strategy that Gillis and AV have put together, they just got to the finals last season and I think Gillis really believes in these coaches and what they are doing.
Nah, I don't think he'd survive a first round exit. He would have been fired if we lost game 7 to the hawks in the first round last playoffs. We will probably be playing the 7th seed. Losing to the 7th seed would be embarrassing with the team that we have right now. I don't think we're going to lose in the 1st round though. There's just too much talent on this team. If the Sedins become invisible, Kesler can will this team to win at least for the first round. Burrows won't go down without a fight either. Game 7 vs the hawks really showed how much it means to win for kes/burrows. Those 2 were incredible.

Quote:
Great coaches are constantly learning themselves, adapting and bringing something new to the table. That's part of what makes them a great coach. It's also a good idea to rotate some new blood in there with assistant coaches, and the team has done that.
ok, thanks. I have to say I used to get frustrated with AV's stubborn ways, but he's definitely adjusted his gameplan over the years. I remember the first time we played the hawks in the playoffs and he always wanted the team to try and sit on a lead. Nightmares.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:34 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
If this team is built around a strategy that AV and Gillis has put together,then i dont think they have the right tools for the job,because somthing is not working as of late.
Somthing tells me the players are not buying into the plan.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Whale

year 3 of a pretty clearly stated FIVE year plan, team is actually ahead of schedule but is still missing key components, like a true offensive defenceman/PP QB

there is no way that Gillis throws the dice on a new coach and risks destroying the teams chemistry, Kesler, Edler, Raymond, Burrows, Bieksa, Lappy, Grag's, all of these guys owe their careers to our two times Jack Adams winning, all time most winningest coach in franchise history... seriously, you want to go back to the Rick Leys and Tom Rennies of the world?

the team has never been better, stop trying to think of ways to ruin it fcs

Closed Thread