Notices

Miikka Kiprusoff

Old
03-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Miikka Kiprusoff

Hey,

I just wanted to ask question about Miikka. I was just looking at contract situation(http://nhlnumbers.com/teams/CGY?year=2012) for Calgary Flames and I noticed Miikka's contract is going to end after 2013-2014 season, BUT his salary seems to take a huge dive after 2012-2013 season, so to my question, do you think he's going to retire after 2012-2013 season or do you think he's going to play for 1,5 million for one more year?

I'm mostly hoping for him to make comeback to TPS ASAP (his home team in Finland), because our team currently sucks so bad.. (Miikka is part owner of this team)

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
I think he sticks around for as long as his play is NHL caliber, which I see being at least a few more years. Irving is going to start taking starts from him though.

Fun fact. Miikka is 22nd all time in NHL goalie wins despite playing far less games than most guys on the list. Assuming he leaves even after his contract is done, he'll probably get another 30ish wins, which would leave him 18th all time. I hope he sticks around for longer and moves even higher though.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Medium Rare*

it should also be noted his NMC expires on July 1st.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
As long as he is an nhl calibre goalie and wants to be here then I want him to stay. But if he should ever want a chance at a cup I would not hold it against him and would be fine with him leaving. I don't think he will play in the nhl after his contract is over.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I think he sticks around for as long as his play is NHL caliber, which I see being at least a few more years. Irving is going to start taking starts from him though.
Yeh, he's playing great again this year, at least stat-wise, haven't been able to watch many Calgary or any NHL games this year.

I'm sure he's good for couple more years in NHL, so no worries in that sense, but was just hoping for him to come home. (Actually I think Miikka is kind of guy who might do that IMO) He's great person, good values.

Old
03-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
it should also be noted his NMC expires on July 1st.
Would you trade him?

Old
03-19-2012, 10:00 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I'm sure he's good for couple more years in NHL, so no worries in that sense, but was just hoping for him to come home. (Actually I think Miikka is kind of guy who might do that IMO) He's great person, good values.
I think you might get your wish and he will return home after next season. He's only owed $1 million with a $5.7 million cap hit, so it is very likely he will forgo that million bucks to stay home and finish his career in his native land, and give the Flames, or whoever, cap relief.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I think you might get your wish and he will return home after next season. He's only owed $1 million with a $5.7 million cap hit, so it is very likely he will forgo that million bucks to stay home and finish his career in his native land, and give the Flames, or whoever, cap relief.
Aah great point. That's probably why I asked about this, but forgot.. lol

Old
03-19-2012, 11:45 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Would you trade him?
Yes I would. I want to trade him July 1st. I think he will net a good return plus I think that Irving is ready to start at the NHL level and a Biron-type 1b goalie to platoon with would give us a good chance to win every night.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Gary83*

Quote:
Yes I would. I want to trade him July 1st. I think he will net a good return plus I think that Irving is ready to start at the NHL level and a Biron-type 1b goalie to platoon with would give us a good chance to win every night.
Agreed 110%. An Irving/Ramo tandem might work out good, could create some good competition for each other.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
irving has really done nothing to show he's nhl ready. 7 starts this season with 3 wins and a gaa of 3.20 isn't exactly what i call ready to start in the nhl.

i think ramo is head and shoulders above irving at this point and we'd be better off rolling with him and irving as the back up if kiprusoff does get traded.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Flames CBA Guy
Y is Colborne in SO?

vCash: 100
Um, what? Leland Irving has a bad game in Boston (which is really not even his fault) which inflates his numbers. Here are the numbers for his other starts this season...

Florida: 2 Goals against, .951 SV%
Vancouver: 1 Goal against, .967 SV%
Ottawa: 4 Goals against, .918 SV%
Phoenix: 2 Goals against, .943 SV%
Anaheim: 3 goals against, .921 SV%
Edmonton: 3 Goals against, .880 SV%

I italicized the games against the Oilers and Sens as the only two games where his save percentage is below .920 ... Against Edmonton, he didn't have much support and against Ottawa he faced 49 shots.

The W-L-OTL record doesn't reflect his skill and that he is in fact NHL ready. I'd rather see him backing up Kipper next season than Karlsson. It would be better than constantly calling him up the day or two days before he plays a game in relief.

Flames CBA Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:46 AM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brostopolous View Post
Um, what? Leland Irving has a bad game in Boston (which is really not even his fault) which inflates his numbers. Here are the numbers for his other starts this season...

Florida: 2 Goals against, .951 SV%
Vancouver: 1 Goal against, .967 SV%
Ottawa: 4 Goals against, .918 SV%
Phoenix: 2 Goals against, .943 SV%
Anaheim: 3 goals against, .921 SV%
Edmonton: 3 Goals against, .880 SV%

I italicized the games against the Oilers and Sens as the only two games where his save percentage is below .920 ... Against Edmonton, he didn't have much support and against Ottawa he faced 49 shots.

The W-L-OTL record doesn't reflect his skill and that he is in fact NHL ready. I'd rather see him backing up Kipper next season than Karlsson. It would be better than constantly calling him up the day or two days before he plays a game in relief.
Irving is no longer waiver exempt next season, he will be in the NHL one way or another.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:54 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
irving has really done nothing to show he's nhl ready. 7 starts this season with 3 wins and a gaa of 3.20 isn't exactly what i call ready to start in the nhl.

i think ramo is head and shoulders above irving at this point and we'd be better off rolling with him and irving as the back up if kiprusoff does get traded.
Did u actually watch his games or merely looking at stats?

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post

Fun fact. Miikka is 22nd all time in NHL goalie wins despite playing far less games than most guys on the list. Assuming he leaves even after his contract is done, he'll probably get another 30ish wins, which would leave him 18th all time. I hope he sticks around for longer and moves even higher though
Mostly has had a post lockout NHL career. His win totals are inflated. He'll be passed by many goaltenders over the years with the current so/ot system in place.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote