HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy to Join Habs

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that still think bringing Patrick Roy in as coach can't be anything but a home run.
Exactly....oh he doesn't have experience? How many rookie coaches have we brought up only to see succeed on other teams? If there is a coach I will stand by even through bad times (can't get worse than this year) it's Patrick Roy.

I still spit at the TV screen when I see Mario Trembley's *#$##$# face on RDS so you know who my loyalty is with. Roy will be excellent for Carey Price, if there is ever a coach he will listen to it's him. Not to mention we get a little passion behind the bench, Alf Martin and soon to be gone replacement have shown me nothing. It would be nice to see our coach toss a stick or something on the ice when there is a brutal call against us. Some emotion which Roy will bring behind the bench for sure. And he will satisfy all the french media with some classic interviews. It's all plus with Roy, just bring in Radulov & Grigs with him. (crossing fingers)

Old
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Stupid move to do so before you can the entire managerial staff.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that there are people out there that still think bringing Patrick Roy in as coach can't be anything but a home run.
I find it hard to believe there are people out there that think making someone an nhl head coach who has never even had a sniff at it before is going to be an instant home run.

Gainey and Carbo had great playing careers too and they really did a hell of a good job in managment for Montreal.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Will he mentor Carey on how to be a good husband and father?
Ya, being a good husband and father wins you rings....sheesh. Go look at some of the best in any sport and you will see a ton of them were not family men. Brodeur also says hello.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I find it hard to believe there are people out there that think making someone an nhl head coach who has never even had a sniff at it before is going to be an instant home run.

Gainey and Carbo had great playing careers too and they really did a hell of a good job in managment for Montreal.
Don't forget Mario Tremblay.

Old
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Are people serious? This is the same thing that's been going around for the past week.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:00 PM
ThaDevilGirl

I hope not.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
Exactly....oh he doesn't have experience? How many rookie coaches have we brought up only to see succeed on other teams? If there is a coach I will stand by even through bad times (can't get worse than this year) it's Patrick Roy.

I still spit at the TV screen when I see Mario Trembley's *#$##$# face on RDS so you know who my loyalty is with. Roy will be excellent for Carey Price, if there is ever a coach he will listen to it's him. Not to mention we get a little passion behind the bench, Alf Martin and soon to be gone replacement have shown me nothing. It would be nice to see our coach toss a stick or something on the ice when there is a brutal call against us. Some emotion which Roy will bring behind the bench for sure. And he will satisfy all the french media with some classic interviews. It's all plus with Roy, just bring in Radulov & Grigs with him. (crossing fingers)

Was there a mistake in my post somewhere?. I just woke up and I'm still all squinty-eyed. I'm saying that people who think that bringing patrick roy on board to be an automatically genius move to be just shy of riding the short bus.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it can go wrong. Easily.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
Ya, being a good husband and father wins you rings....sheesh. Go look at some of the best in any sport and you will see a ton of them were not family men. Brodeur also says hello.
I should hope for Carey's own sake he has a good life off the ice, and doesn't become a jackass like Roy or Brodeur... There is more to life than hockey.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Was there a mistake in my post somewhere?. I just woke up and I'm still all squinty-eyed. I'm saying that people who think that bringing patrick roy on board to be an automatically genius move to be just shy of riding the short bus.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but it can go wrong. Easily.
Ack your wording through me off. Ninja Grammar.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Roy might be a disaster, but he won't just settle for a mediocre club, and you can't really do much worse than we're doing now.

Interesting to see if and how this plays out.
You can definitely do worse...by messing with the young players emerging as some of our best. Our record this year sucks, but at least most of our best players are either entering their prime or still in it for a few years. You want to make sure you have a coach that can keep developing your young guys, not have them traded within 2 years.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:15 PM
Schooner Guy

Oh Molson, Molson, Molson, Molson. Give up the role of President and go count your money and play with your toys instead of sabotaging the well-being of this great institution.

Gawd I hope this isn't true. I could live with Roy being coach (albeit kicking and screaming) but if he has anything to do with managing the team, this could be extremely ugly.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:24 PM
PricePkPatch*

Roy as a GM would have an advantage over PG is his true understanding of the fanbase. I am sure people would have more faith into him than PG

Old
03-20-2012, 12:26 PM
jwolf

None of this makes sense if said verbal deal is for Roy to be coach. If Gauthier remains GM of this team, Molson just castrated him. If Gauthier is being shown the door, then the new GM will be saddled with someone he didn't hire.

It is entirely possible that Molson has found his new GM and is working behind the scenes to set up next season. It is also possible that Roy is coming here to be GM/VP rather than coach. Personally, I hope it's the latter. I think Roy is more suited to be GM (if he's well surrounded) than coach at the NHL level.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
BTW,

He's nominated for coach of the year and GM of the year in the Q.

He was asked this morning about the rumours. His answer:

Kathleen Lavoie ‏ @kathleenlavoie
Patrick Roy sur le Canadien: "Je n'ai jamais eu d'appel de M. Molson et quand j'entends dire qu'ils ont des sources béton, je trouve (1/2)

Kathleen Lavoie ‏ @kathleenlavoie
Roy: "...que le monde journalistique, des fois, se couvre de ridicule." Dernière conv. avec les Molson lors du retrait de son chandail (2/2)

I never got a call from M. Molson and when I hear about solid sources from journalists, I think they look absurd.
I get the sense he's a better GM than coach. The quality players he seems to be able to bring in is impressive.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
poetryinmotion

To me this is good news, and where there is smoke there is usually a fire. These rumors are picking up a lot of steam right now too. I don't want to say done deal but I expect Roy in the org. this summer.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
idk

The thought of Roy coming in as either head coach or GM next season does not leave me with a happy feeling. Nothing against St. Patrick personally, but I look at him and see shades of Houle and Tremblay. Yes - he has more experience than those two, but I'm not sure his work with the Remparts qualifies him to be given the reigns of the most difficult team to manage in professional sports.

At the same time Roy has always struck me as the pragmatic sort. Passionate and proud most certainly, but also a guy that knew his weaknesses and did his best to make up for him. In either role if he is surrounded by people who make up for his weaknesses and he listens to them then I think he could do a fine job. But it all hinges on his team and those around him. If I were Molson I would be very careful to make sure that Patrick approves of those he'll be working with, but perhaps that he is not too comfortable with them.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:41 PM
TheBuriedHab

How about let the new GM interview his coaching candidates. Unless Roy is going to be Gm or PG is staying. YUCK

Old
03-20-2012, 01:42 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
How about let the new GM interview his coaching candidates. Unless Roy is going to be Gm or PG is staying. YUCK
I really think he's going to be our next GM.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Stupid move to do so before you can the entire managerial staff.
The whole bottle

BTW Just food for thought, Roy's GM+HC stats

307-138-32

Old
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
tinyzombies

The downfall begins.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:46 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
None of this makes sense if said verbal deal is for Roy to be coach. If Gauthier remains GM of this team, Molson just castrated him. If Gauthier is being shown the door, then the new GM will be saddled with someone he didn't hire.

It is entirely possible that Molson has found his new GM and is working behind the scenes to set up next season. It is also possible that Roy is coming here to be GM/VP rather than coach. Personally, I hope it's the latter. I think Roy is more suited to be GM (if he's well surrounded) than coach at the NHL level.
He better be assistant GM or assistant coach. He has no NHL experience and is a hothead. That story of him marching into Hartley's office and clearing all the TV's off the shelf with his goalie stick sticks in my mind. I've never seen him as particularly intelligent either. I have a hard time believing he's the next Sam Pollock.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
blueinmtl

PG has been a bigger disaster than JM or even poor ol Cunneyworth imo.

I think Roy will come in as GM if there is any him coming in at all. He'll hire his own guy. I'm sure he is too volatile to be a pro coach at this point, but having him a step away is maybe seen to be more manageable. & there is no doubting that, at least with QC, he has shown a great eye for talent.

Let's face it this season has been a disaster on every front for the CH. The PR good-spin they'll get off this will help them tremendously in the off season. Plus of course in typical Hab$ fashion it'll set them up for a nice summer run on vintage #33 jerseys.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
A Price - Roy duo will be great for us. Can cut some serious minutes off of Price's heavy schedule.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:51 PM
peate
Good grief!

This thread is begging for a poll as it seems opinions are fairly split. I for one believe it to be a reasonable assumption. We have a young team, he has had success with Quebec and hockey is hockey no matter what level it's played. Instill a good system and work with it. I say go for it, make him GM/Coach and let it play out for a few years and see the results. We have hit rock bottom, only way to go is up.

Closed Thread