HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps @ Wings Mar 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM ET

Old
03-20-2012, 01:22 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Does anyone have a stat on Ovis minute per point production compared to previous years.
No stat, but just saw this from CSN and thought it was interesting.

Quote:
From Russia, with love: Count Red Wings center Pavel Datsyuk among Alex Ovechkin’s biggest fans. Before the Caps’ 5-3 win over the Red Wings, Datsyuk was asked about Ovi’s rather ordinary season, at least by his standards.

“More people are wanting from him more and more and more,” said Datsyuk who waited long after the game to say hello to his countryman. “If he cannot score a 50-goal season they say, ‘Oh, he’s not good anymore,’ and that’s not (true).

“Lots of different players see him score lots of goals every season and be jealous of him and now they pay more attention to him. It’s making him better for next years.”

Ovechkin scored a pair of power-play goals in the win over Detroit and now has 32 goals and 56 points in 69 games. He has five goals in his last four games and six goals and one assist in his last seven, lifting the Caps to a 5-2-0 mark in that span.

Ovechkin is on pace for 36 goals and 63 points, which would give him four more goals and 22 fewer points than last season.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:25 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Does anyone have a stat on Ovis minute per point production compared to previous years.
Yeah, let me get right on that.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

One interesting Ovie stat:

His shooting percentage is the same as his rookie year. But his shot count is about 60% of his rookie shots.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Actually, we don't trap exclusively. Ramping up the aggressiveness makes them far less likely to do it. What do you call it Tex when we aggressively forecheck, trapping?

And there are varying degrees of it when they do it. Like on the PP late yesterday.

No matter how you try to spin it, teams don't know what we are going to do, at least not to the extent they did in previous regimes. How do we quantify or name the varying aggressiveness we see. I havent seen it changed mid period but definitely between periods.

Players and thus teams do play different at home vs on the road. Coaches are forced to coach differently as well. The road game is often simplified. You withstand that early attack and try and take the fans out of it.
it totally depends on what your definition is of aggressive forecheck.

ive seen little if any example of this team taking changes to forecheck. aggressive means the priority is the forecheck and not avoiding being outnumbered.

they forecheck hard, sure, hard when they have numbers. they dont aggressively forecheck and take the risk of getting beat.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:35 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
Also, I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd share it here. An interesting take on one of the most criticized players on this board:

Everyone here is very down on Ward and his $$, but yesterday, JapersRink had this to say. Just thought I'd share:

An assist against the Isles and a plus-three week is about as good as it gets these days for Ward, who hasn't been on the ice for an opposing goal of any kind since February 12 (yet inexplicably continues to not kill penalties and toils away on the fourth line).
Not that interesting to me. Struggling early, changes roles, and is now succeeding. Sounds like he's doing well because he's a good fit for that role, not like it's an indication that he needs to go back to the expanded role at which he wasn't performing.

His check is way too much for the role he excels at.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:37 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/stats/.../alex-ovechkin

See the last column.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I was going to ask what unit of measure that column was using, but I did a little math and it looks to be TOI/point. This season is pretty ugly, no two ways about it.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Carlson was demoted to the third pair with Schultz eh? Interesting. Least amount of TOI since his rookie season as well.

Last edited by Langway: 03-20-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:03 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

About time. He's been the worst of that pair. But alzner has been no peach either. To me, those two "failing" in year two along with the C depth are the biggest issues in this season.

Then add Green's health plus the overall make-up and you have mediocre pooooo instead of a stanley cup contender.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Even if you are correct in saying we sit back 95% of the time, we are changing it up, it is not static as you seem to imply.
I don't mean to imply that I believe they are simply sent out to trap 95% of the time. I believe the system is designed to play off cues to either be aggressive or passive based on what the situation is at that moment. That being said whatever those cues are the way they are being read results in passive 95% of the time.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I don't mean to imply that I believe they are simply sent out to trap 95% of the time. I believe the system is designed to play off cues to either be aggressive or passive based on what the situation is at that moment. That being said whatever those cues are the way they are being read results in passive 95% of the time.
Gotcha. I suspect the system as rolled out was taught to err on the side of caution, to start. I suspect players got reamed out more for attacking when they shouldn't, versus the opposite. It makes sense to me, which way to err.

These were a bunch of get up and go players. It understandably will take time reprogram the brains. They have to learn to read and it all starts with Ovi. Now while I appreciate Bruce's system of constant pressure on the opposition, it ran its course, and did get it's fair shake. We just blindly charged and in war, you are going to take your lumps. And lumps we took.

Who's with me, charge! Look at Brooks and Erskine.

A guy like Nick may be our prototypical trapper. Great defensive awareness and the offensive skills to convert. I am thrilled he is skating. I may be the only one but I like the small signs of success we are seeing. It just may be coming together. We just need a f'in goalie to step up and seize the wide open spot.

Its our turn to do some shooting. We need to have the guns at the ready and mow em down when they come over the trenches. Once we get good at that, the counter offensive will commence.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
CapsCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Carlson was demoted to the third pair with Schultz eh? Interesting. Least amount of TOI since his rookie season as well.
Schultz and Carlson were out for all three Red Wing goals

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:15 PM
NeilYoung

I'm in favour of giving Carlson a game off to watch maybe pull his head out of his ass a bit.

I love the Hammer-Green pairing though, exactly what Green needs
Ideally (for me)

Alzner-Carlson
Hammer-Green
Orlov-Wideman

Screw Sarge, wouldn't mind giving Wideman another couple games with Alzner though decent results last night. It's amazing how good anyone looks with Alzner

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Millhaus

IMO the Caps have 4 puck movers who all are better on the right and 3 stay at homers who are all better on the left. One of the guys on the right has to sit. Orlov sat last night and the way he has been playing Carlson deserves a seat for a game or two.

IMO Orlov on the left with another puck mover is a difficult pairing for both guys as neither guy can play his natural role because the other guy's natural instinct will be to go forward and they both can't do that.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
I'm in favour of giving Carlson a game off to watch maybe pull his head out of his ass a bit.

I love the Hammer-Green pairing though, exactly what Green needs
Ideally (for me)

Alzner-Carlson
Hammer-Green
Orlov-Wideman

Screw Sarge, wouldn't mind giving Wideman another couple games with Alzner though decent results last night. It's amazing how good anyone looks with Alzner
and how bad someone looks with Carlson ( this year anyway)

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
and how bad someone looks with Carlson ( this year anyway)
Yeah. It is surprising how things have fallen off since the outstanding Carlson-Poti from the playoffs two years ago and has play with Alzner last year.

I've never been as high on him as a lot of Caps fans are because I don't see him as the smartest player, but I have to wonder if he is nursing some sort of injury. He just looks flat out terrible for large stretches.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Carlzner

Sophomore Slump.

It really is that simple.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:05 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
It surprises me none that Carlson's best games came with a vet stay at homer. Yet the mention of separating he and Alzner strikes a nerve to many. Carlson is overdue for a scratch regardless of the must be pairings.

Alzner Green
Ham Carlson
Sarge Wideman

Rotate Orlov Carlson Hammer Wideman and Sarge until the one that needs to sit is obvious. Close out the final 3 games with the best pairs.

For one f'in week, try and live without Karl Carl and lets see what Alzner Green can do.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:38 PM
txpd

poor erskine. stuck in the nolan yonkman memorial seat in the press box.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
poor erskine. stuck in the nolan yonkman memorial seat in the press box.