HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

4 more years of Gomez?

Old
03-20-2012, 12:40 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Why buy him out? Just lend him to a team in Switzerland. He might be able to pull a 20 goal season there.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Either Fehr and Bettman really aren't sure where they're going yet, or they aren't sharing much/any of it. So I don't think anybody out there has a real sense of whether the next CBA is mostly just going to be a re-up of the existing one with a few tweaks (which would make some sense IMHO) or something more different that requires a lengthier negotiation and more possibility of adjustments. I guess the latter favours us in term of the amnesty buyout possibility. But I don't know how anybody guesses one way or the other whether it's coming or not. Neither side seems to be tipping their hand, they seem very content to let the season play out and not distract from it.

Probably the BoG members will have some inkling of what's coming at some point. If Gomez gets bought out on June 15th, we can assume there were some upper level hints that the amnesty wasn't likely coming. If he doesn't, then it's just more uncertainty. Still 3 months or more left on the Gomez ticker for us. We're not going to get any final answers yet, alas.
Who exactly is motivated to create the amnesty situation? I think this is a notion created by hopeful people who want there to be an eraser for the Gainey/Gauthier mess. It made sense in the context of a one-time salary rollback, but doing it a second time would essentially undermine the salary cap . Managers would operate differently if they knew the league were going to burn their bad contracts every now and again. Don't see it happening to be honest.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Bourque is a third liner and Kaberle is producing quite fine. Bourque has scored 75 goals over the last 3 seasons.

Neither is overpaid to the point they would be considered for a buyout and they could be moved if nessessary.
They both could be moved but almost certainly we would have o take a garbage contract back in exchange.

Bourque has 4 years left on his contract and if Gionta and Moen were healthy he'd probably be in the pressbox.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeto View Post
Why do people think this is a given? It was in the last CBA so that teams could get under the cap. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it's in this one.
Totally agree. It is not a given,

The players would have to ok this. This is a negotiation, give and take. What would the owners be giving up here?

To think it is a slam dunk because it happened once before ignores the fact that the situations are not the same.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:23 PM
JackZap

they will buy him out if theres that amnesty clause they are talking about in the new CBA. Would be silly to buy him out

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Totally agree. It is not a given,

The players would have to ok this. This is a negotiation, give and take. What would the owners be giving up here?

To think it is a slam dunk because it happened once before ignores the fact that the situations are not the same.
I think some people undervalue the fact that NHL is the only of the big 4 in NA to have 100% garanteed contracts. If the players want to keep them, they will have to give in something. And that amnesty clause just might be it.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
RC51

the next CBA will change a few things.
If teams don't get a chance to dump a player for non-preformance then the Habs should just banish Gomez. Send him to a Siberian team for FREE. If he does not preform for them they have ways of suggesting he quits hockey altogether or buys an emergency 10 million dollar airplane ticket out of town.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
They both could be moved but almost certainly we would have o take a garbage contract back in exchange.

Bourque has 4 years left on his contract and if Gionta and Moen were healthy he'd probably be in the pressbox.
He has played what 30 games with us? Good work coach, put the guy in the pressbox when he doesn't have immediate success on a brand new team with a rookie coach that is fighting for a lottery pick.

You are quite the motivator.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
zeeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I think some people undervalue the fact that NHL is the only of the big 4 in NA to have 100% garanteed contracts. If the players want to keep them, they will have to give in something. And that amnesty clause just might be it.
Who says that the players are the only ones against an amnesty buyout?

zeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:54 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeto View Post
Who says that the players are the only ones against an amnesty buyout?
Because every GM would like to be able to get rid of one contract.

Old
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
PricePkPatch

In the event there isn't hockey next year, does the lost year count against Gomez's contract?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
engy

vCash: 344
There's no way NJ would want to take Gomez back because he doesn't bring anything and there's no way Devils fans will accept him.

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:12 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

because of the actual salary VS salary cap of Gomez, the difference isnt big enough to refuse to bury him in the minors... if os, it would mean Habs owner is damn cheap... like VERY very very cheap...

whoever wrote that piece should have put 2 sec of thoughts into it.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:16 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
No buyout, minors or europe. I don't want to see his ****ing face in the nhl for the remainder of his career.
agreed wait for a 1/2 salary cap waiver claim or rot on the far team

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
In my experience, you negotiate for new parameters, and do not concede what you already have.

Why would the players even allow the concept of guaranteed contracts to be added to the negotiations?

The pre-negotiations set the agenda. This is the way union negotiations are held.

I know that this is the NHL and all bets are off, but.... I just do not see adding a fundamental issue that has been earned to be put back on the table.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:24 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
A buyout makes little sense as the Habs are better off keeping him in the minors from a cap and pay perspective assuming there isn't a buyout grace period.

The "right" thing to do is buyout the player but given Gomez's complete lack of effort ad stealing the Habs money, I don't think they owe him a god damn thing.

They should do whatever is best for the team and let whatever happens to Gomez be secondary in their decision. This isn't time for them to do the classy thing.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Yeah whoever wrote that article didn't do a good job.

Assuming there is NO amnesty clause...

Buyout...would cost 6.67 mil in salary and 11.38 mil cap hit.

Burying him in Europe/AHL...would cost 10 mil in salary and ZERO in cap hit.

Even if you look at this purely from a financial point of view, not taking hockey into consideration. It makes a lot of sense to spend the extra 3.33 mil in salary for 300 mil business and use all your cap room to get the team into the playoffs even for 2-3 home gates, that's potentially about 9-10 mil per year of revenue over the next 4 years.

For a large market team it makes all the sense in the world to give yourself the whole cap to potentially improve your team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
A buyout makes little sense as the Habs are better off keeping him in the minors from a cap and pay perspective assuming there isn't a buyout grace period.

The "right" thing to do is buyout the player but given Gomez's complete lack of effort ad stealing the Habs money, I don't think they owe him a god damn thing.

They should do whatever is best for the team and let whatever happens to Gomez be secondary in their decision. This isn't time for them to do the classy thing.
Plus, before he goes to the AHL(or Europe), he would go on waivers and any team, could have him for free. It's not like they are preventing him from playing in the NHL, his contract(and his play) is.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I hope it's not a buyout, send him to Hamilton or in the KHL on loan
I think that there is no KHL team willing to take on a $7.35M cap hit for a player with a "pass-always" game... I'm afraid KHL GMs would be aware of his cap hit!

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:40 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
In the event there isn't hockey next year, does the lost year count against Gomez's contract?
nope

IIRC there is no year lost, only reported

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:15 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I think that there is no KHL team willing to take on a $7.35M cap hit for a player with a "pass-always" game... I'm afraid KHL GMs would be aware of his cap hit!
I think we'd still play his full salary.

How did the Huet deal work with the Swiss team?

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
In my experience, you negotiate for new parameters, and do not concede what you already have.

Why would the players even allow the concept of guaranteed contracts to be added to the negotiations?

The pre-negotiations set the agenda. This is the way union negotiations are held.

I know that this is the NHL and all bets are off, but.... I just do not see adding a fundamental issue that has been earned to be put back on the table.
Players are not alone in this. This is why there's two sides, the players can't have everything.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think we'd still play his full salary.

How did the Huet deal work with the Swiss team?
The Swiss team and the Hawks figured an amount the Swiss would pay, they had to pay the balance.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:33 PM
HCH

Quote:
Lets buyout Plekanec while we are at it, Gionta and Markov too. Your assessment of talent and value is hilarious.
You are the one who thinks Kaberle is an asset. Maybe it's your assessment of talent that should be called into question

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
The Swiss team and the Hawks figured an amount the Swiss would pay, they had to pay the balance.
So maybe they can find a team in the KHL or SEL or DEL or Swiss League that will pay Gomez like $2M or something and we can just pay the rest.

It's a bit more than paid out than a buyout, but it saves the team millions in cap space.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote