HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Start of game line brawl

Old
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
MAC TRUCK
Friendly Fire

vCash: 500
Loved it.

MAC TRUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:50 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

I guess the Devils were tough enough to beat up things that don't hit back.

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2012-ar...cker-room.html

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
It was great. Set the tone for the rest of the night. Fired everyone up.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:47 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Ah. DeBoer also announced that his lineup would be last minute made at warmups and either Janssen or Bernier were sitting. He said that at the morning skate that it would be game time decision which one played. Maybe that was the problem?
This is my best bet as to what might have given Tortorella a reason to get angry like that. Not that DeBoer did anything illegal, just that he made a lineup adjustment close to game time.

I didn't mind the fights anyway. The Devils had a right to start those players and the Rangers responded. It was a good game.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:51 PM
frankthefrowner

I honestly think Torts just flipped to get his team pumped... End Of Story.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
as do i.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
EEDAWGZ

Fighting has no place in Hockey , I'm hurt , not physically, but emotionally

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:04 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Im being totally honest but i dont think i ever got so jacked up for a game after i saw that.......I dont understand how anyone would want to see fighting out of the game....it does serve a purpose as many in here have already stated.

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:07 PM
EEDAWGZ

lol , definitely, especially when Dubi scored right after it, I went nuts

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
OverTheCap

I enjoyed it, and I'm not even a big fan of fighting. The emotion and intensity from each Rangers-Devils game this season has carried over to the next game, that's part of what makes rivalries so great.

You don't see line brawls very often anymore. I can't even remember the last time I saw a line brawl, let alone one involving the Rangers. It must have been pre-lockout for sure.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

So mad I missed it. Had tickets, but got to the Garden late. Thought I only missed 7 seconds...then heard all the penalties. Good thing Hockeyfights already posted a video.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:16 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
Yeah, that too. Tortorella has a reputation on these boards among some as being an insufferable jerk and a hot head but like all coaches in sports he realizes that he's "performing" in front of an audience (his players).

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
So mad I missed it. Had tickets, but got to the Garden late. Thought I only missed 7 seconds...then heard all the penalties. Good thing Hockeyfights already posted a video.
I literally got to my seat when they dropped the puck/gloves. As a few have mentioned, the arena felt like a playoff atmosphere.

I didn't mind the fighting and thought it raised everyone's intensity level.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
rambler725

the fights were entertaining still say you have to win the game on ice unless of course an impact players goes off the ice for fighting....if it has such an impact on outcome how come we never see this in the playoffs..why because it is useless

rambler725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Onion Boy

There have been few games if any this year when the Rangers got pushed around physically.

Nice change from years past.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Bardof425*

It was great; what we needed to get out of our funk; thanks Debbies. Deboer is in over his head with this rivalry. Should have stayed in Florida where it's safe.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:10 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

If fans love it why not stage a fight to open every game? Why not, its loved so much and supposedly 'gets the team going', right?

Always been a fan of the fisticuffs, but now more than ever I see the disconnect between the goons and the game.

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:28 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post
If fans love it why not stage a fight to open every game? Why not, its loved so much and supposedly 'gets the team going', right?

Always been a fan of the fisticuffs, but now more than ever I see the disconnect between the goons and the game.
If it's too much for you, you could always turn on a soccer game.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
mahonistan*

As long as there are brawlers there will be brawls. Fights are less prevalent than they were in the mid 90's because most goal scorers can now protect themselves. Now, all the Superstars can pretty much protect themselves. Malkin, Ovie, Crysby, Thornton. All of them can throw down if they need to. Most fights you see in the NHL are due to two guys getting pissed at each other. If fighting comes back like it did in the 70's, I'd be cool with it. I just don't want the NHL to lose its intensity and fighting adds intensity to the sport.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
broadwayblue

Loved the opening. Really set the stage for one tough game. Great stuff.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
district9
w/e

i think torts initially wanted to put his first line out there to skate circles around the devils goons, but knew if he sent out the guys he sent there would be a devils bloodbath to get his team going. the team lost 5 of their last 7 before last night and needed a kick in the ass. i thought it was a great move and it definitely set the tone for the whole game. his anger towards deboer was probably more of a "see what happens when you try to goon it up against us?"

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Hey, don't want to start anything obviously. Just looking for your opinion on your coach.

Tortorella introduced this idea this season on Dec 20th by starting your fourth line.
Last night, the Devils started their fourth. Torts obliged and put his out. Then he has Bickel taking the faceoff for a better fight matchup.

Then he's on the bench screaming bloody murder at DeBoer. Why? Does he realize that the players on the ice talk and agree to fight before it happens? Carter said in an interview last night that Bickell showed up in the faceoff circle and asked him to fight.

Also, if Torts was really upset with DeBoer starting his fourth line, he could have chosen to throw his first out there, skate circles around guys like Boulton and Janssen and get a goal on the first shift. I really don't get the screaming and infant tirades your coach throws sometimes.
DeBoer put those guys on the ice intentionally to stir **** up.

The Devils got their ***** whipped and all 10 of you Devils fans come out of the wood work to whine?

You stepped into the rink of the toughest (not dirtiest) team in the league looking to stir **** up and it blew up in your face. Hence why DeBoer looked like an embarrassed idiot after it happened.

(Rangers lead league in fighting majors and hits, 4th in blocked shots)

Can't step into our rink thinking you're going to push us around. Not happening to this team. Don't like it? DeBoer should've done his research and decided to try to score an early goal, rather then set up a brawl to start a game.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Ranger Angst

Rangers were challenged & they responded. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post

Really because guys like Prust, Bickel and Rupp don't provide anything for out team except fighting? It's not like Prust is a top PK guy, or Bickel has earned pretty big ice time (went a long time without being on the ice for a goal recently), or Rupp has never pitched in offensively with two goals in a huge rivalry game or anything. No, they're just goons who don't do anything but fight.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:27 PM
Dfence033

There looks like a combination of things at play here, and none of them point to Torts just yelling to "fire up the team."

1) PDB even admitted that he was going to change his line-up as a game-time decision. Bernier was probably listed, and when he saw the Rangers weren't dressing their "goon" in Scott, switched his line-up to include Janssen instead, thinking he'd have the upper hand to start a ****-show off the bat, firing up his team.

2) Torts, most likely expecting to not see two goons in the Devils line-up who are utterly useless for doing ANYTHING but running around and getting in fights (Boulton and Janssen, I won't include Carter because despite his offensive output being crap, he can actually be useful in a 3rd-4th tweener role), submitted his line-up for Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik to start the game. They were all over or on the boards ready to go when Torts got a look at the line-up PDB threw out there and instead looked over at PDB and started yelling as he put Rupp, Prust, and Bickel on the ice.

3) PDB looked shell-shocked that Torts would respond to him putting goons who can't play the game on the ice by lining up a squad up to the task, while Torts looked ready and willing to jump over the divider and beat the piss out of him.

4) PDB, in an attempt to cover up for his own insolence in trying to out-muscle or intimidate one of the toughest teams in the league in their building, which completely back-fired as the Rangers won or tied all three fights then promptly scored a goal, (incorrectly) shoots his mouth off about the reaction from Torts.

5) Media frenzy ensues, allowing places like HFBoards to **** all over Torts for being a reactionary and emotional head coach, despite it being exactly what this team needs to be in first place.

6) As the saying goes here: Profit?!?

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote