HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Start of game line brawl

Old
03-20-2012, 03:35 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfence033 View Post
There looks like a combination of things at play here, and none of them point to Torts just yelling to "fire up the team."

1) PDB even admitted that he was going to change his line-up as a game-time decision. Bernier was probably listed, and when he saw the Rangers weren't dressing their "goon" in Scott, switched his line-up to include Janssen instead, thinking he'd have the upper hand to start a ****-show off the bat, firing up his team.

2) Torts, most likely expecting to not see two goons in the Devils line-up who are utterly useless for doing ANYTHING but running around and getting in fights (Boulton and Janssen, I won't include Carter because despite his offensive output being crap, he can actually be useful in a 3rd-4th tweener role), submitted his line-up for Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik to start the game. They were all over or on the boards ready to go when Torts got a look at the line-up PDB threw out there and instead looked over at PDB and started yelling as he put Rupp, Prust, and Bickel on the ice.

3) PDB looked shell-shocked that Torts would respond to him putting goons who can't play the game on the ice by lining up a squad up to the task, while Torts looked ready and willing to jump over the divider and beat the piss out of him.

4) PDB, in an attempt to cover up for his own insolence in trying to out-muscle or intimidate one of the toughest teams in the league in their building, which completely back-fired as the Rangers won or tied all three fights then promptly scored a goal, (incorrectly) shoots his mouth off about the reaction from Torts.

5) Media frenzy ensues, allowing places like HFBoards to **** all over Torts for being a reactionary and emotional head coach, despite it being exactly what this team needs to be in first place.

6) As the saying goes here: Profit?!?
This.

100%.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:53 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
If it's too much for you, you could always turn on a soccer game.
'Too much' for me how? I said more than ever I see the disconnect. I like fights, just not manufactured ones that represent false toughness. Your reading skills need a refresher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Really because guys like Prust, Bickel and Rupp don't provide anything for out team except fighting? It's not like Prust is a top PK guy, or Bickel has earned pretty big ice time (went a long time without being on the ice for a goal recently), or Rupp has never pitched in offensively with two goals in a huge rivalry game or anything. No, they're just goons who don't do anything but fight.
I never said they didn't add anything, YOU implied that, not me.

The charade of toughness that fight represents is the focus here.

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherWood Lumber 76 View Post
'Too much' for me how? I said more than ever I see the disconnect. I like fights, just not manufactured ones that represent false toughness. Your reading skills need a refresher.

I think you pick the wrong example to argue your point about "staged" fighting. Us, Flyers, Bruins and Devils are all Eastern teams claiming to be build on toughness. A part of it is being able to stand up and accept a fighting challenge.

Separately, can you say that the start of the game did not energized the players (even more)? If you do - you'd be lying.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Glass's Skill

Quote:

You said, "now more than ever I see the disconnect between the goons and the game." That can only mean that the goons don't add to the game. If Prust, Bickel and Rupp are the goons, which is what this thread is about; their opening faceoff brawl, the only way to interpret what you said is that Prust, Bickel and Rupp don't add to the game, which I find absurd.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:49 PM
turcotte8

Carp sums it up well

"DeBoer, as the visiting coach who sets the starting lineup first, started his meatheads—and they really aren’t in Prust’s class as players whatsoever—in two Garden games and both resulted in synchronized staged fights.

So DeBoer really should shut up when he talks about Tortorella having no short-term memory or being a hypocrite. He started this one, and the Rangers had a chance to decline but instead chose to engage. And they won the fights and the game."

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
SherWood Lumber 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
You said, "now more than ever I see the disconnect between the goons and the game." That can only mean that the goons don't add to the game. If Prust, Bickel and Rupp are the goons, which is what this thread is about; their opening faceoff brawl, the only way to interpret what you said is that Prust, Bickel and Rupp don't add to the game, which I find absurd.
They add little, which is why they play few minutes and staged fights are an embarrassment. That sums it up.

SherWood Lumber 76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:55 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Im not much for "staged" fights. Between two goons that play 5> minutes per game.

But last night was fine by me. One coach thought he could push another team around, got his butt handed to him, and that's that.

The thing that's embarrassing is the Devils fans whining, and DeBoer acting the victim, and the Devils players.

They tried to make a statement, it backfired.

That should be the end of it.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Gardner McKay
The NYR get...

vCash: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Regardless of DeBoer's intentions... it was a dumb move. Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk should start EVERY away game. All Devil fans agree that Boulton and Janssen are useless and we never want to see them on the ice.

I think my point is simply that this is the third time this season that this has happened and Torts chooses now to flip out.

DeBo definitely didn't make the right decision though. There was a 50/50 chance that this would backfire and it pretty much did. The Devils have had problems scoring goals... but also their compete level has been lacking lately. They've played the Flyers, Pens, and Rangers and couldn't match the other team's intensity. Maybe THAT'S what DeBoer was trying to fix? Didn't work though lol.
I think I know why torts was pissed. Nothing against the Devils, but as you pointed out earlier, our tough guys contribute alot more then the Devils tough guys do, not to mention Prust kills penalties and Bickel has done a fine job as our 6th defenseman.

I think it was more so the fact of both teams are ten games away from playoffs and to lose a team contributor to a broken hand from a fight could hurt down the road. This is especially true for the Rangers because losing a guy like Prust would hurt our penalty killing, losing Rupp would force us to play Scott, and losing Bickel would give us zero depth at defense (Eminger is hurt currently and Stralman has really been off the past few games). Any of these three would do nothing but hurt the Rangers long term. If the Devils lose Boulton or CamJam, then they are replaced when Bernier comes back. Its not nearly that simple for the Rangers.

Just my 2c.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
greasch#4

Quote:
They add little, which is why they play few minutes and staged fights are an embarrassment. That sums it up.
It was obvious in our last game that we did not match the Devils intensity. More than one player mentioned that after the game - Boyle and Richards I think. DeBoer read that and thought he could push that advantage. I personally like that you get to stand up for yourself and your team in hockey and drop the mitts. It's obvious that you do not.

You are in effect calling Prust and Rupp goons. Each guy has scored some pretty important goals for us so to label them as goons just shows you do not really appreciate the different dimensions they each bring to this team.

DeBoer tried to push that intensity advantage again but Torts was ready to counter and then some.

I thought it was great because this was real animosity and it made the game all the more exciting.

And on a separate note Bickel took the face-off because I am not sure Dubi's honker was ready for round two against Carter (luckily for us because I do not like that matchup for in a scrap).

greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:07 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I almost feel like I shouldn't do this for the sake of everyone's blood pressure...but go check out the PTI and Sports Nation segments discussing this on espn.com.

Some people will never understand.

03-20-2012, 07:16 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Hey, don't want to start anything obviously. Just looking for your opinion on your coach.

Tortorella introduced this idea this season on Dec 20th by starting your fourth line.
Last night, the Devils started their fourth. Torts obliged and put his out. Then he has Bickel taking the faceoff for a better fight matchup.

Then he's on the bench screaming bloody murder at DeBoer. Why? Does he realize that the players on the ice talk and agree to fight before it happens? Carter said in an interview last night that Bickell showed up in the faceoff circle and asked him to fight.

Also, if Torts was really upset with DeBoer starting his fourth line, he could have chosen to throw his first out there, skate circles around guys like Boulton and Janssen and get a goal on the first shift. I really don't get the screaming and infant tirades your coach throws sometimes.
Torts actually understands the passion of the players and is always gonna stand up for his guys. Plus, look what it did for NY and the fans. Rangers were flying high and never looked back. That's pure energy. Don't come and complain. Carter and that line obliged... It's Bickel, by the way.

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

People like MMA and boxing, but fighting in hockey is frowned upon?

Old
03-20-2012, 07:48 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
People like MMA and boxing, but fighting in hockey is frowned upon?
I love hockey fights. Dunno why anyone would want them gone.

TCRF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:52 PM
chip chipperson*

exactly what the rangers needed. anybody that didn't like that start is stupid. plain and simple, ****ing dumb. the garden was rocking and then dubi scored a goal a minute later. huge start. and stu bickel is a bamf. ****s **** up

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:02 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Blue 24 7 View Post
I personally love this and I am shocked on how some people are embarrassed and disgusted by the fighting. I am not saying it should happen but it this happened @ the start of every game the NHL's rating would soar through the roof! How can someone hate this fighting is entertaining!!
I thought it was ****ing awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Bleed Blue 24 7
Ranger's Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I almost feel like I shouldn't do this for the sake of everyone's blood pressure...but go check out the PTI and Sports Nation segments discussing this on espn.com.

Some people will never understand.
I was laughing out loud when they said all the players deserve suspensions (on around the horn). That segment was a pure joke it blatantly shows how none of them watch or care about hockey

Last edited by Bleed Blue 24 7: 03-20-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Bleed Blue 24 7 is offline   Reply With Quote