HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread VIII

Old
03-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
People are hating on Matt Greene? He is our most physical D man and for the 4th year in a row has over 200 hits. If you go to a game live and sit low, Greene is always delivering big hits and in the oppositions face. He is a leader in the dressing room and both coaches loved him. I met him a few summers ago and seems like a nice guy. He also hasn't been a minus player since his Edmonton days.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

You need an aggressive d-man who "takes stupid penalties" from time to time. Of all our players, Greene is the hardest to play against and absolutely punishes the opposition in a way no other King does. Sacrifices the body, stands up for his teammates... I guarantee you the Kings' coaching staff has minimal problem with the penalties he's taken in the scope of his overall game.

I said in another thread, I actually think this is one of Greene's best years he's had.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
No one.

I think we see this next year.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Moller-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Clune-Nolan

Spares: Westy and maybe Richardson if he's not dealt.

Stoll comes back for 2.5 per. I don't see us making a big addition. Parise stays back east, Suter is a pipedream.
Please, Please, Please keep Clune far far away from the Kings roster forever more. We have much better options in system in guys like Cliche, Andreoff at least. Not to mention Richardson, Lewis can play there for sure, in your example putting Holloway/Cliche/Toffoli/Vey/Kozun in the spot vacanted by Richardson/Lewis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
People are hating on Matt Greene? He is our most physical D man and for the 4th year in a row has over 200 hits. If you go to a game live and sit low, Greene is always delivering big hits and in the oppositions face. He is a leader in the dressing room and both coaches loved him. I met him a few summers ago and seems like a nice guy. He also hasn't been a minus player since his Edmonton days.
I think he is a very solid guy you want on the bottom pairing. I really like his game. He is overpaid by about 1 million per season IMO, but that's another issue. As long as he has a Martinez/Hickey type beside him (good skater, decent defensively, very good first pass) he will be a valuable bottom pairing guy, leader, shot blocker, hitter, just all around character guy. Exactly what you want out of a bottom pairing defenseman.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:18 PM
YP44

Quote:
I agree with this. I liek Odonnell for this as well, and even Gauthier before him for this.
Not sure Greene is worth his contract still, but I do agree that we are a better team with him than without.
To have a good PK unit it takes two solid line, and I believe he is a large part of that.

YP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Whiskeypete

Greene takes those penalties typically because of his aggressiveness. It's something that is going to happen to a Dman that is asked to play this role. He is playing a role that is essential and personally I would love if LA had another Dman playing this way/this role. LA needs to be more physical in its own end. Next up is Willie at times, then Scuds. You people speak of 'dumb' penalties he takes, then what do you call the silly cross checking penalties that DD draws far to often? Those are the result of poor positioning, skill and laziness. Play tighter to the guy and he can get away with that same play, simply because there is no arm extension for the ref to see. At least Matt's penalties are typically the result of a roughing, elbowing or high stick from playing overly aggressive. DD's are usually the result of being dumb and lazy.

Adding Suter? ehhh.... To me it's not a pressing need that would address the team's greater needs. Suter & Parise combo because they are BFF's, hell yes you do that. You do that 11 times every 10 times it's offered. Other than that I think DL would be smart to upgrade and focus entirely on the forwards.

Bringing and pairing Suter with DD does make sense, but I will give you some other options that will have the same effect. Upgrade the forwards and turn the focus on them. You bring in ZP and pair with Kopi, trust me the focus will be up front. You upgrade the bottom 6 that will contribute more and the focus will change. There is a focus on DD because of the Kings lack of scoring up front. There is focus on DD because the old TMu system of moving the offensive through the points. There is focus on DD because the Kings D primarily sat high at the points and didn't activate, which causes backside issues and seams for them. There is focus on DD because the Kings haven't been that successful on working the puck down low like years past. The addition of King, Nolan and Carter have helped to alleviate this because of grit, aggressiveness, size, skill and frankly because they are now scoring. LA improves up front, then opponents won't be able to cheat towards Drew.

On D the Kings are in great shape. Another year with this group of 6 playing together just adds to the strength of this D core. Let's not forget there are still the kids in MAN that next year will also cause some upstream pressure on DL to make a decision.

Stoll. Personally I haven't taken a look to see who else is available, but I will take Ziggy's word. There isn't much out there. My #1 if I am DL is to go after Gaustad. I look at him and I see a younger Zus. Huge size, very good faceoff man and decent skill. His salary is also very doable at $2.3M this season. When it comes to upgrading the #3 C if DL doesn't land Gaustad it will be a very big miss.

Lokti as much as I like the kid just doesn't fit in as a #3. Not at this point from what I've seen. The kid is a lurker, a 'sid-ler" (Seinfeld reference). He will sneak up and steal pucks, but he doesn't play physically enough. Nor does he have the size to match up against an opponent's #1 or #2. Stoll plays more physically, but I think he is also undersized in this role. Again Gaustad here would be a perfect fit - all 6'5" and 212 lbs of him.

Speaking of stupid penalites, look no further than Stoll. He is the worst culprit when it comes to taking bad penalties. As of late since he started playing more physical he's taking 1 or 2 a night. Most of them are of the high-sticking and tripping variety, which are lazy penalties. I recall a few hits from behind, which were just dumb. Ones that he time to pull up and didn't.

JB...man what to do with the guy. I would love for LA to keep him. I also want LA to keep JQ. but having two #1's doesn't do anything for them unless one is injured. That said DL I hope doesn't make a JB move, until he gets JQ signed long-term. This should also be a priority for him this summer.

JB/Greene to CHI for Bolland/Bickel. I say no to this for two reasons. Greene and it's a western opponent. Living in Chicago the take on Bolland is up and down. I think they had placed to much expectation wise on him after the SC team blow up. They had to let guys go and put a lot of faith that Bolland would pick up the loss. He didn't and has been as streaky as any other forward out there. I do like his all around game though. He brings it most nights and competes. Fans wouldn't be opposed to seeing him move, especially if it brings them a #1G.

JB to Tampa. If the guys gets moved them move him east. LA has to get some picks in this draft. JB is the best asset the team has to get back into the draft rounds 1-3.

this summer's plan for DL
1) ZP.....Dean if YOU don't sign Zach, YOU FAIL
2) P Gaustad to fill the #3C role
3) re-sign Quick to an extension
4) trade JB for draft picks this summer to get back into the first three rounds
5) re-sign Fraser for the #4C role
6) Penner, Stoll, Richie, Lewis, Parse, etc......walk away

just some takes on the different viewpoints out there......

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

The problem is that Quick can't sign an extension before the draft. So trading Bernier for scoring or picks or whatever it a bad idea at that time. Unfortunate really.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

I fail to see why people want Gaustad over Stoll when i imagine Stoll would be cheaper to re-sign

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Johnny Utah

People keep putting Lewis as a healthy scratch for next year but Jim Fox mentioned it the other night, he is one of Sutter's favorite players.

Lewis will be on the 3rd line RW next year or on the 4th line and getting plenty of PK time as well...mark my words. He won't be a healthy scratch.

Old
03-20-2012, 06:12 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
People keep putting Lewis as a healthy scratch for next year but Jim Fox mentioned it the other night, he is one of Sutter's favorite players.

Lewis will be on the 3rd line RW next year or on the 4th line and getting plenty of PK time as well...mark my words. He won't be a healthy scratch.
I tend to agree. I think Clifford falls into this category as well. Sutter said he felt Clifford was moved up to soon, but that he is very good in the role he currently occupies.

Guys that are going to have a tough time cracking the lineup with Sutter as coach are Loktionov, Richardson, and Westgarth. Loktionov will get a shot if Stoll is not re-signed and no UFA is signed to fill the 3rd line center position.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:13 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
The problem is that Quick can't sign an extension before the draft. So trading Bernier for scoring or picks or whatever it a bad idea at that time. Unfortunate really.
gotcha....good old CBA and all the rules involved. I don't ever read it or pretend to know all the in/outs of it. tough call then. do you trade him for picks now and gamble that JQ will re-sign in LA? that's a tough call. personally I wouldn't trade him until I know I have JQ re-upped long-term. to take the chance of possibly losing both and then having a HUGE hole in net, would be a massive back track to this teams success. I don't move JB until I know I have JQ signed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
I fail to see why people want Gaustad over Stoll when i imagine Stoll would be cheaper to re-sign
PG is making $2.3M this season. Stoll is making $3.6M. Gaustad is putting up comparable numbers to what he always has 20-30pts. Stoll we all know where his numbers are and what the impact will be to his wallet. the money to either will be $2.5-$3.0M, $3.5M on the high side. to me the money is a wash, it's the upgrade at the #3C that PG would give LA. like I said earlier, he is the new young and improved version of Zus.

Old
03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post

PG is making $2.3M this season. Stoll is making $3.6M. Gaustad is putting up comparable numbers to what he always has 20-30pts. Stoll we all know where his numbers are and what the impact will be to his wallet. the money to either will be $2.5-$3.0M, $3.5M on the high side. to me the money is a wash, it's the upgrade at the #3C that PG would give LA. like I said earlier, he is the new young and improved version of Zus.
fair point, as i see it next year though, if the Kings can land Parise or if King is kept on the 2nd line, then Gagne will be on the 3rd, and having a 'skilled' (in relative terms) centre in Stoll for him to play with would benefit the team more

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
fair point, as i see it next year though, if the Kings can land Parise or if King is kept on the 2nd line, then Gagne will be on the 3rd, and having a 'skilled' (in relative terms) centre in Stoll for him to play with would benefit the team more
Stoll - skilled?

dude can't hit the net to save his life. Fox keeps commenting on his speed. I don't see it. I don't remember him out racing anyone. I don't see him being able to turn-n-burn guys either, so you can't label him a shifty skater.

Gag's I just don't think you can count on getting a full season from. if he can play 60G's of a season next year I think it will be a great win for him and the team. with his history if I am DL I plan ahead without him to be honest. i would rather have an extra skill winger than be short one.

Old
03-20-2012, 08:00 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
What are your top three?
Parise, Nash, Huselius, Whitney, Semin (RW?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
No one.

I think we see this next year.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Moller-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Clune-Nolan
I hope not. I can't see DL settling for that.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Clune?

You have got to be kidding me, easily one of the worst players I have ever seen skate for this team. The guy did nothing but run around like an idiot and lose fights. Never forget when he got cold shouldered by 74 year old Mathieu Schneider.

Guys like Nolan, Clifford and Fraser are much more useful.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:12 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Clune?

You have got to be kidding me, easily one of the worst players I have ever seen skate for this team. The guy did nothing but run around like an idiot and lose fights. Never forget when he got cold shouldered by 74 year old Mathieu Schneider.

Guys like Nolan, Clifford and Fraser are much more useful.
Your description gave me John Zeiler flashbacks. You owe me an apology.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:24 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Zeiler was great. AEG was able to lay off the guys that clean the glass.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:35 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Good point.

Two god awful players that had no business ever skating an NHL shift. Glad we are beyond players like that. I really like what Nolan has shown on the 4th line. I have no problems with "energy" players if they are NHL players, which those two guys clearly weren't.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:41 AM
bobafettish*

i hope parise watches west coast hockey.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Nose of Sutter

Quote:
Ill be having nightmares tonight.

Ill also never forget how hard I laughed when we called him up over Schenn last year in the playoffs

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Again no one is denying dime a dozen....but if he is dime a dozen why would you replace him with another "dime a dozen" player that could cost 100% more??? Cap wise it makes no sense.
plus he already knows the system.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:16 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Whatcha have against Greene? Who would take his place? Hickey?
He takes stupid penalties and makes some REALLY bad reads in his own zone. He is a 3rd pairing dman at best. And I think we are overpaying for him a bit.

Maybe this offseason isn't the time to get rid of him...but It would be nice if somebody like Campbell was ready to step into the NHL and take his place and play AS effective in terms of defensive coverage. I don't think you get much more physical then the style Greener plays.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Johnny Utah

Anyone else think Lewis will be a "healthy scratch" after the way he has played recently...maybe not in points, but his skating and hustling and forechecking is probably best on the Kings right now.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
YP44

Quote:
Anyone else think Lewis will be a "healthy scratch" after the way he has played recently...maybe not in points, but his skating and hustling and forechecking is probably best on the Kings right now.
When Sutter first was brought in he praised the skill level of Lewis. I think he is startingto get it out of him.
Sutter/Lewis is a match made in heaven.

Old
03-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
There was a shift last night where he flew into the zone, took a massive shot from White along the boards, bounced up, raced to the slot, took a pass from Penner down low and whipped off a terrific shot on Niemi. He then threw himself into a battle at the blueline to keep the zone. His game is much more impressive this year then last, even if the production isn't there to match it. That will come in time.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Sutter seems to have lit a fire under Lewis' butt. I think it was Sutter who said he'd like to see him (and I believe Richardson as well) to play more like how Helm and Abdelkader play. Lewis has stepped it up, and Richardson didn't, which is why he finds himself in the press box most nights.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote