HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Eric Wellwood Discussion

Old
03-20-2012, 06:57 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
i like the idea of that lineup but if 2 to 3 years from now our forwards are all players that we had in our system in 2012 I'll eat my hat.
Was just thinking the same thing. That wouldn't be the Flyers way.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Psuhockey

I think Wellwood will be a winger with Couturier as a shut down pair for a long time. If they can find a winger with some size, offensive skill and defensive awareness to go with it, they will have a dominating line. Voracek would be a perfect fit if they don't have him tagged for a more offensive role going forward.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Codith

Wellwood is probably one of the fastest guys in the league, not bad for a guy who only has a handful of games under his belt. I love his awareness in both zones, and once they get him on the Giroux/JVR off season training module I can see him really being a productive player on this team.

You know what I love? how our rookies come in and just get **** done, they all step up in their own way.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:28 AM
kicksave27

Now the Flyers are a speed team, never would have thought that. Read is fast, harry Z is a little faster, now Wellwood who's a missile. Homer got a lot of speed up front to fit Lavy's system, and got some thumpers on the back end. The new Flyers hockey is fun to watch.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:09 PM
Flyrs21

Wellwood reminds me of the type of player that helps a team win a Stanley Cup......3rd or 4th line player with speed and skill who isn't going to put up a lot of points but will score when the games tied 1-1 in the 3rd or give you a huge shift when the big guns are resting. The type of player the Red Wings love to have on their team.

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
Wellwood reminds me of the type of player that helps a team win a Stanley Cup......3rd or 4th line player with speed and skill who isn't going to put up a lot of points but will score when the games tied 1-1 in the 3rd or give you a huge shift when the big guns are resting. The type of player the Red Wings love to have on their team.
Darren Helm.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Now the Flyers are a speed team, never would have thought that. Read is fast, harry Z is a little faster, now Wellwood who's a missile. Homer got a lot of speed up front to fit Lavy's system, and got some thumpers on the back end. The new Flyers hockey is fun to watch.
Briere, Varacek, Giroux and Talbot are all pretty quick too. Simmonds, JVR and Gustafsson are + skaters (at least faster than average, particularly healthy JVR). And then you have Shelley and Jagr. A duo who bring the teams average foot speed down to about ten miles per hour.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 03-20-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:04 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Briere, Varacek, Giroux and Talbot are all pretty quick too. Simmonds, JVR and Gustafsson are + skaters (at least faster than average, particularly healthy JVR). And then you have Shelley and Jagr. A duo who bring the teams average foot speed down to about ten miles per hour.
The thing about Jagr, is that even if he doesn't have his feet, he has to more rely on his hands and size to keep the puck.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think Wellwood will be a winger with Couturier as a shut down pair for a long time. If they can find a winger with some size, offensive skill and defensive awareness to go with it, they will have a dominating line.
Testwuide or Holmstrom are both candidates for that role, if Sestito doesn't get it.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Chances he sticks around for the playoffs?

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:18 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Chances he sticks around for the playoffs?
Probably depends on the next few games, our match-up and injury status. I prefer him over Rinaldo against Pittsburgh.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The thing about Jagr, is that even if he doesn't have his feet, he has to more rely on his hands and size to keep the puck.
I know. He was never that fast even in his youth. I'm not saying he's done or no good anymore, he's just slower than dirt.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote