HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

May 8: Meszaros (back surgery) expected to play in Game 5 vs. NJD (updates in post 1)

Old
03-20-2012, 10:06 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Big loss, but that's the nature of the beast. People get hurt.

This is why I say every year that you need 8 trustworthy defensemen when you get into the playoffs. I don't know if we have 8, but we have more than we did in the past.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:13 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Big loss, but that's the nature of the beast. People get hurt.

This is why I say every year that you need 8 trustworthy defensemen when you get into the playoffs. I don't know if we have 8, but we have more than we did in the past.
I think this could be when Lilja comes in handy. I'd trust him over Gus, Manning, or Bourdon in the playoffs.

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Grossman
Kubina (assuming he's healthy)-Lilja
Gus

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
thelos
Bunk

vCash: 500
Has Bourdon recovered from his concussion yet?

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Has Bourdon recovered from his concussion yet?
He scored a goal against Syracuse on Saturday. At least that's what the scoresheet says.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Prongo
Beer

Reports are Kubina and Lilja are playing tonight

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:23 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Reports are Kubina and Lilja are playing tonight
Glad we are getting healthy, but I think Gus should stay in over Lilja right now. Panthers are a quick team and Gus is more suited to defending them than Lilja. Not to mention Kubina-Lilja has negative speed

Last edited by thelos: 03-20-2012 at 11:28 AM.
thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:35 PM
kicksave27

Every single freaking year we are screwed by injuries, it goes all the way back to 1976 and not having bernie against the habs. It's always the healthiest team that wins the cup and it's never us. This year it's two or three important guys at a time.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:40 PM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Every single freaking year we are screwed by injuries, it goes all the way back to 1976 and not having bernie against the habs. It's always the healthiest team that wins the cup and it's never us. This year it's two or three important guys at a time.
Preemptive excuse-making. Not like it's Giroux and Timonen out, it's another young winger (of which we have a few) and a good young defenseman (of which we have a few). It'd be nice to have both, but they can handle without, and if they get deep enough both will probably be back.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:19 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Preemptive excuse-making. Not like it's Giroux and Timonen out, it's another young winger (of which we have a few) and a good young defenseman (of which we have a few). It'd be nice to have both, but they can handle without, and if they get deep enough both will probably be back.
Umm, what about Pronger?

And no we dont have a 'few good young Dmen'. Timo is not young, neither is Kubina, Grossman is good but not at the same level as Mesz, and as for how 'good' Carle and Coburn are... very debatable.

Cosidering age and everything Mesz is the 3rd best Dman we have, with the best being Pronger and Timo second.

That's our best and third best out.Huge blow for defense, tho forwards are ok.

Last edited by rban*: 03-20-2012 at 02:30 PM.
rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:14 PM
PJStock*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Umm, what about Pronger?

And no we dont have a 'few good young Dmen'. Timo is not young, neither is Kubina, Grossman is good but not at the same level as Mesz, and as for how 'good' Carle and Coburn are... very debatable.
Cosidering age and everything Mesz is the 3rd best Dman we have, with the best being Pronger and Timo second.

Another case of 'the grass is greener on the other side.' Both Carle and Coburn are solid, minute eating d-men. I have seen the argument made practically every thread that Carle is terrible and shouldn't be re-signed. I'd argue that you won't find many guys that could replace his minutes/40 pts and puck moving ability. Of course, if he wants more than 4.5 million, there are better options, but I find it laughable that people here wouldn't want to re-sign him even at the amount he is making right now. Give me a list of some suitable replacements, and then we can talk. And please, none of this "lets give Bourdon/Gus his minutes next season", because neither of these guys are top 5, let alone top 4 material right now. Carle plays against top forwards game in and game out, and makes relatively few mistakes for the amount of time he spends on the ice.
As for Coburn, he has started playing really well the past 10 games or so, when others have gone down to injury. He is certainly a good, if not great d-man when he gets going. Again, give me a list of guys that could replace his size, skating ability and shutdown ability. There are VERY few available d-men that even come close.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Umm, what about Pronger?

Hmmm why? I think both proving game after game that they can play 24 solid min against top players in the league.

I like that paring very much and I hated Coburn contract ever since he signed it.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:48 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I just thought of an interesting question, what team won the cup yet still had the most or one of the most man games lost to injuries?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 04:11 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science View Post
Timonen has been playing through injuries for several months now.

Also, his back issues are still there. His 10 day rest earlier this month has had a positive effect mentally but did not cure his back and he can only hope it will last - at least that's what he told the media. Doesn't sound too encouraging to me

So this team is playing without its #1D, its #2D is playing hurt, and the potential #3D (who has probably been hurt for while) is now out for 6-8 weeks. Preemptive excuse-making???

Last edited by dats81: 03-20-2012 at 04:22 PM.
dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:19 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Umm, what about Pronger?

Lol at Mez being a good defender. 3rd best....not even close.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:37 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Lol at Mez being a good defender. 3rd best....not even close.
Not even close? The only person (other than Kimo and Prongs) I'd consider putting above him is Coburn, but they are both pretty close. Mez is above Grossman, Kubina, and Carle and the rookies really shouldn't be factored into this discussion because they are at best borderline NHLers.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 06:51 PM
bp spec

Well this sucks. I think Meszaros is one of our best d-men. Good that Kubina will play tonight.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:08 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Not even close? The only person (other than Kimo and Prongs) I'd consider putting above him is Coburn, but they are both pretty close. Mez is above Grossman, Kubina, and Carle and the rookies really shouldn't be factored into this discussion because they are at best borderline NHLers.
Ha..
He's better than the rookies. That's it. Grossmann is way better than mez as a DEFENDER. Carle is not physical at all, but he's MUCH better positionally than Mez...MUCH better.

If we are talking point shots then you have a point, but 3rd best defender is laughable. Last seasons mez has no bearing on how bad he has been this year...he's been awful. Look up coverage breakdown or blown assignment in the dictionary and there is his picture.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Ha..
He's better than the rookies. That's it. Grossmann is way better than mez as a DEFENDER. Carle is not physical at all, but he's MUCH better positionally than Mez...MUCH better.

If we are talking point shots then you have a point, but 3rd best defender is laughable. Last seasons mez has no bearing on how bad he has been this year...he's been awful. Look up coverage breakdown or blown assignment in the dictionary and there is his picture.
I don't know about his picture in the dictionary bit, but everything else is dead on. I've been very impressed with Grossmann and while Carle sometimes moves the puck right to the opposition and isn't physical at all, he's much better positionally than Mez is.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 989
March 21:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
MESZAROS HAS BACK SURGERY
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren announced that defenseman Andrej Meszaros had back surgery this morning. His full statement is below...

"Andrej had successful surgery this morning to remove a disc fragment that was impinging on a nerve root. He will be discharged from the hospital later today. His rehab will begin in 1 week."

The update two days earlier from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on Meszaros estimated that he would be out for six to eight weeks, which would place him anywhere from a May 2 to May 16 return.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Good to hear surgery went well and rehab begins in a week hope we can still be playing in the playoffs and we can get Mez back healthy.

BleedOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/#!/drosennhl/sta...57199781842945

Quote:
Andrej Meszaros skating some laps about 40 minutes prior to practice. He's still out after having back surgery in March.
Hey we have some progress. He also did say he didn't skate for very long and isn't close to returning, but being on the ice is a step in the right direction.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 10:46 AM
FlyersMania2

https://twitter.com/#!/drosennhl

Dan Rosen of NHL tweeted (6 minutes ago)

Quote:
drosennhl: Meszaros did not skate for very long, and it was very light. He's nowhere close to returning.
Hopefully he is MUCH closer in a week, lol. We really need him!

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-17-2012 at 11:12 AM. Reason: To separate twitter remark from user's comment.
FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:26 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/drosennhl

Dan Rosen of NHL tweeted (6 minutes ago)

Hopefully he is MUCH closer in a week, lol. We really need him!

No need to rush anyone back before they are ready mez or jvr they will know when they are ready.

BleedOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Broad Street Elite

Back surgery is definitely a lot tougher road to recover from than a broken foot. With a back injury, you're essentially laid up doing nothing at all for a long time. At least with a foot injury, you can lift, work legs in a pool, etc.

I would be shocked to see Mezsaros before round 3 (if we get there) and even that would be pretty rushed.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2012, 01:50 PM
rban*

With this leaky defense we need Mesz badly. For the next round, not this one.

Looks like Caps will not get it done vs the Bruins, so that's who we'll face next.

D**mn, I wanted the Caps to upset them really badly!

But yeah I dont wanna see this kind of defensive irresponsibilty vs Bruins. They would eat us alive.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote