HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryz First Star of the Week..... Again

Old
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
He's been great in Mars so far. I hope that he is as good as he has been for the rest of the season but that he hasn't reached his peak yet. I want him to be a monster in the playoffs.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
The Flin Flon Bomber

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
He's been great in Mars so far. I hope that he is as good as he has been for the rest of the season but that he hasn't reached his peak yet. I want him to be a monster in the playoffs.
Universe. Humongous big.

The Flin Flon Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:15 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Definitely man, that's phase 2. I think he's got way higher end talent around him now tho than he obviously had in phoenix so there will be more of a chance at keeping up with whoever we play. I do know that whoever we play, pittsburgh or new jersey, or even florida, the first round is gonna beat the **** outta everyone this year.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 02:16 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
I have to do it...

Bryz doubters/haters: "Told ya so, Told ya so..." doing a little dance

Everyone loves to give up on goalies so quickly in philly. Half the fans still believe in JVR or still stand up for Carle, but the goalie has 2 bad months and doesn't dress up in O&B and put on a clinic immediately, and we dub him enemy number 1.

Love the bandwagoners and impatient fans who suddenly cheer him on after booing him.

Side note, since when did Boo'ing anyone help their game (when they are on our team)? It doesn't.

Point is, people were happy to see him fail and happy to have a skate goat. If people wanted him to succeed, they wouldn't have given up on him so quickly.

I am just glad that the Bryz jersey I bought in the beginning of the year doesn't get me Boo'ed at games now.
dude, be cool. stop it.

Old
03-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

I had no confidence in Bryz whatsoever until after the all star break. I had plenty of confidence in him coming from Phoenix. Anyone who had lost faith in him because of his play up until all star break was totally justified, he was not only "not that good"....he was terrible. That being said, he's made a supreme turnaround. Saw his shut out over the Leafs live and he looks like a completely different tender. Hopefully he can play the same way come Playoff time.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:08 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:

skate goat.

I know it's one of those things you hear many many many times before seeing it spelled, but it's scapegoat, and seeing skate goat makes me actually LOL, no offense.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:13 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
dude
i don't believe you, you didn't doubt once this season...
give up quickly? 3/4 of season he sucked... yes he started turn it around SLOWLY after WC .

And i bet everyone including me was hoping for bryz to turn it around..
go back to topics of games and you will find numeruos posts of.. " lets hope Bryz will turn it around this match" a lot of ppl said it each match of 3/4 season..
I assure you, I never doubted. My level-headed, hardcore flyers fan friends did and we debated like all the time. But a guy who is as good as Bryz is (based on the past) doesn't have these kinds of strings of bad games because he isnt worth the money or sucks.

I believed that during his stint of subpar goaltending, it was all mental. Look at his month by month stats. His first month here and the month HBO filmed were the only two months you could really look at his stats and think it was him. I wore my Bryz shirt to the winter classic proudly even tho he didnt play.

I could care less who believes me, but if you really wanted to question my faith in him just look through my old posts on all the anti-bryz threads.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 03:15 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post

I know it's one of those things you hear many many many times before seeing it spelled, but it's scapegoat, and seeing skate goat makes me actually LOL, no offense.
Haha awesome, I wouldnt have realized that I did that unless you pointed it out. I know the correct spelling and meaning of the term - let's call that a freudian hockey slip.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:21 PM
FlyersMania2

And, I give myself full permission to gloat. In 2006, there were 3 players I hoped to see in O&B: Chris Pronger, Ilya Bryzgalov and Vinny LeCavalier.

Magically, 2 of them have put on the O&B - can you imagine? I mean, wow (I am using a story-telling voice with slight sarcasm).

Well, poor me. I come so close to having my dream team, two of the trifecta. And just like that, the rug is pulled out from under me. Pronger, down for the count. And then, Ilya comes in and I start to wonder how it's possible that he can't fit into this team. Would I lose a second part of the existing dream team?

Would we give up on him? Sigh...

So, anyway, I give myself permission to gloat. the end

Old
03-20-2012, 03:34 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

First star of the week is much better than being the punchline to every announcer covering hockey's joke for the last 2 months!! Kepp it up Bryz getting hot at the right time

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
And, I give myself full permission to gloat. In 2006, there were 3 players I hoped to see in O&B: Chris Pronger, Ilya Bryzgalov and Vinny LeCavalier.

Magically, 2 of them have put on the O&B - can you imagine? I mean, wow (I am using a story-telling voice with slight sarcasm).

Well, poor me. I come so close to having my dream team, two of the trifecta. And just like that, the rug is pulled out from under me. Pronger, down for the count. And then, Ilya comes in and I start to wonder how it's possible that he can't fit into this team. Would I lose a second part of the existing dream team?

Would we give up on him? Sigh...

So, anyway, I give myself permission to gloat. the end
not really. where were you when we where fighting the good fight for him earlier in the season. its easy to show up after alls said and almost done but come on dude. you never posted when he was suckin (due to confidence and crappy play by the team in front) so its actually insanely lame that your saying told you so. it would be lame even if you did post but the fact that you didn't is just retarded. no offense. ha.i guess the whole "is bryz worth his contract" thread was over your head? and btw, nobody stands up for carle anymore. get with it!

Last edited by funghoul: 03-20-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
There's also the small matter of the debate in question being about whether or not Bryz was playing like crap...not "He will NEVER be good." Comparing his play now to his play then, I think it's pretty clear he was indeed just playing terribly.

03-20-2012, 09:55 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There's also the small matter of the debate in question being about whether or not Bryz was playing like crap...not "He will NEVER be good." Comparing his play now to his play then, I think it's pretty clear he was indeed just playing terribly.
Whatever. You spin it whichever way you want. You dudes were adamantly saying he was a mistake and he sucks and that was that. No blame was pointed towards anyone but him. Thats what my big debate is about. The fact that the guy was here 2 seconds and played well for the first 10 games then we had some injuries, the team was a defensive wreck which led to bad confidence in a player that was still adjusting to a new environment. If You and a couple other dudes were in Holmgren's position he would've been dumped any way possible. even if it took a bullet. Bottom line is i know were we stand NOW. I just don't know what this dudes all talking about like he's been here at all.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
Whatever. You spin it whichever way you want. You dudes were adamantly saying he was a mistake and he sucks and that was that. No blame was pointed towards anyone but him.
i saw that, too. 'i'm done with him' .... 'cut him' ... 'get rid of him', along with the name calling. the extreme negatives people went to do seem a tad bit silly now, don't they?

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:01 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

I really don't want to fight with you tho. were all kicking some ass these days so its stupid. You know that i didn't know what was gonna happen so i know there's no telling you i knew. capice? ha p.s I'm not talkin b out you bernsie. i know were you stand.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Whatever. You spin it whichever way you want. You dudes were adamantly saying he was a mistake and he sucks and that was that. No blame was pointed towards anyone but him. Thats what my big debate is about. The fact that the guy was here 2 seconds and played well for the first 10 games then we had some injuries, the team was a defensive wreck which led to bad confidence in a player that was still adjusting to a new environment. If You and a couple other dudes were in Holmgren's position he would've been dumped any way possible. even if it took a bullet. Bottom line is i know were we stand NOW. I just don't know what this dudes all talking about like he's been here at all.
That's downright false about the blame. A LOT of blame was directed at the defense as well; but, Bryz also let in a LOT of soft goals and utterly failed to bail out the defense for a couple months at a time. When nearly every defensive mistake is ending up in the back of the net if it results in a shot on goal, the problem lies with the goalie too, and he had zero benefit of the doubt. He was bad. Now, he's cut that crap out and he covers for the D's mistakes routinely and as one would expect.

I still think he's probably going to be a mistake. The contract is HORRIBLE, and becomes an albatross if he isn't as durable as Brodeur. That's a tall order. Signing any 31 year old for 9 years is a mistake. Trim 4-5 years off of it and it changes everything.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:10 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
That's downright false about the blame. A LOT of blame was directed at the defense as well; but, Bryz also let in a LOT of soft goals and utterly failed to bail out the defense for a couple months at a time. When nearly every defensive mistake is ending up in the back of the net if it results in a shot on goal, the problem lies with the goalie too, and he had zero benefit of the doubt. He was bad. Now, he's cut that crap out and he covers for the D's mistakes routinely and as one would expect.

I still think he's probably going to be a mistake. The contract is HORRIBLE, and becomes an albatross if he isn't as durable as Brodeur. That's a tall order. Signing any 31 year old for 9 years is a mistake. Trim 4-5 years off of it and it changes everything.
There was almost NO blame directed at the defense. I wouldn't have argued (at some point i gave up) as much if that were the case. come on. you know. admit it. it fine. you were wrong. everyone makes mistakes. am i pissing you off? I'm kiddin. in reality who cares. as far as the contract goes, the length is obviously circumvention which is going to be short lived so "IF" it does pan out then we don't have to worry about signing a goalie for at least 6 years (after that, i with you on the brodeur durability thing) if he keeps going, nice. if not, well, i just don't' think there's gonna be an "if not". There's no point in complaining bout some argument from the future. like 9 years from now. he could be dead. that'll get us out of it.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

no doubt he struggled, we all saw it. only some of the people here declared him a bust, and made up their mind on him.

others said 'lets wait it out'. he's responded with the hottest streak in team history .... i think that makes up for the soft goals he let in earlier in the year, and shows patience was needed

Old
03-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
There was almost NO blame directed at the defense.
i saw that, too .... if i saw 'Bryz is getting paid to cover up the mistakes of the D' 1 more time ......

Old
03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i saw that, too .... if i saw 'Bryz is getting paid to cover up the mistakes of the D' 1 more time ......
Well. That IS what he's paid to do. He's doing it now, and he wasn't then.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:25 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I will agree, there was some really irrational talk of straight up trading him which A) they wouldn't do half a season into a 9 year deal and B) would have been dumb as he would've gotten little value that would help in return (this year or long term.)

I'm just glad he's found his map to get out of the woods he was lost in. Or maybe it's just the peace in his soul.

03-20-2012, 10:46 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Well. That IS what he's paid to do. He's doing it now, and he wasn't then.
Beef, come on. The defense has been way better in front of him especially since the upgrade and high level of play from Grossmann. No goalie in the league is EXPECTED to mop up for an NHL team on a regular basis. Some goalies do and that makes them extroidenary. Some have in the past and then their traded to the Flyers and it takes them a couple seconds to figure out what the hell is going on. My point being that everyone jumped on him as if they didn't know who he was. Who is he? He sucks. How much did we pay him? That's what I heard. He blows, and were stuck with him FOREVER! The defense is playing NHL level again thus regaining his confidence allowing him to perform at his obvious superior level. There were many doubters. I was not among them. You know hockey. you know who he is and you were waiting. i get it. but if he stays this way, you must admit, he fits in quite nicely and he could be legendary for us. That's what i see. I also just downed a half a bottle of NYQUIL. Goodnight.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Beef, come on. The defense has been way better in front of him especially since the upgrade and high level of play from Grossmann. No goalie in the league is EXPECTED to mop up for an NHL team on a regular basis. Some goalies do and that makes them extroidenary. Some have in the past and then their traded to the Flyers and it takes them a couple seconds to figure out what the hell is going on. My point being that everyone jumped on him as if they didn't know who he was. Who is he? He sucks. How much did we pay him? That's what I heard. He blows, and were stuck with him FOREVER! The defense is playing NHL level again thus regaining his confidence allowing him to perform at his obvious superior level. There were many doubters. I was not among them. You know hockey. you know who he is and you were waiting. i get it. but if he stays this way, you must admit, he fits in quite nicely and he could be legendary for us. That's what i see. I also just downed a half a bottle of NYQUIL. Goodnight.

The defense has been improved, but it's still not exactly stellar. Most of our centers look lost on defense, which hurts. The difference is, Bryz has found his game and turnovers aren't routinely ending up in the back of the net like they were before.

No, no goalie is expected to clean up every single mistake every single night. But, Bryz wasn't really cleaning up any mistakes on any nights. Now he is.

As for being stuck with him forever...we are. You see how age might be catching up to Briere? Imagine what happens when Bryz goes through the same thing, which isn't terribly far off. If he had been signed for half the length it would be a good signing. At 9 years, he's gonna need to win a Cup to make that worthwhile when he declines.

Enjoy the Nyquil, that stuff is coma in a bottle

Old
03-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
No goalie in the league is EXPECTED to mop up for an NHL team on a regular basis. .
agreed. to say they are paying a goalie to cover up for poor D [as an excuse for that poor D, and a method of putting the blame on the goalie lol]

is just like [and just as absurd as] saying that the D should be covering up for a bad goalie, and putting the blame on the D.

not once did i see anybody say that the D are getting paid to cover up for a bad goalie.

it was just silly how a few here bashed him, while most preached patience

Old
03-21-2012, 11:03 AM
MrHockey1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeZilla View Post

That is hilarious and also avatar worthy. I think the BUM avatar should be changed to this LOL!!!

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote