HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs fans now chant ‘Fire Burkie'

Old
03-20-2012, 11:58 PM
ForzaItalia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2plus50equalsCup View Post
I too was at this game, and did not hear the chant. I will therefore call, BS as well. Unless the author was the only one chanting the chant. Good night.
Probably didn't hear it because of all the clapping you were doing as you cheered on the boys.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:59 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveleaf View Post
Burke knew better. He knew it wouldn't take five years. Well. Four years into it and we are further away then Edm, Ott, NYI and a whole slew of teams. If the Leafs just played guys to see what they had instead of trading for and claiming guys like Gerber and so on we may have a Stamkos on this team with a B.Schenn and a Seguin/Hall and maybe a Duschenne. Burke did good........he thought he was getting his bust in the hall of fame, he will only be the laughing stock of the league. Can't wait for the next Coach's Corner. haha
Gerber, Stamkos? So now we get to blame him for decisions made before he even got here?

I' m not giving up on Burke yet. He had too big of a hole to dig out of to start this rebuild thanks to jf and old man fletch. For me he gets his 5 years and then a decision gets made. That said i don't blame anyone for wanting him fired sooner.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Ya, let's have a constant rotation of personnel without letting a plan be executed properly. It'll only take another 5 years if Burke is fired for a new GM to put his plan into place. No thanks.
We've waited 45 years. What's another 5.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
Boy o boy...................what happened to this team? Fire Wilson, fire Burke. We've already turned the team over. Coaches, GM's, assistant coaches and players have come and gone and we're still on the outside looking in. We had old players and wanted to get younger. Now we have young players and at times we look like a playoff team. But some games we look like we aren't putting in any effort.

I thought I had all the answers. Get younger, fire the coach, get a new GM and get some different players. What else is left? THE FANS? THE MEDIA? WHAT?
Mediocre young players are no better than mediocre old players .

This isn't rocket science . This team needs a high end core of 2-3 talented character players to build around .

I have no doubt we can make the playoffs in the next year or two but without an elite core we're not going anywhere when we get there .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:01 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

The Star confirms the chant.

Quote:
Brian Burke should apologize to Leaf fans

And yet, when he sums up a pathetic failure like this ongoing season, which continued on Tuesday night with a 5-2 loss to the inert New York Islanders, suddenly he’s wishy-washy? Perhaps it’s no coincidence that the Air Canada Centre crowd, when it wasn’t booing the home club on Tuesday, was breaking into a couple of weak but audible chants of “Fire Burke! Fire Burke!”

To put the tenor of the evening in perspective — the Leafs have now won three games in 10 starts under coach Randy Carlyle — there was also an upper-bowl outbreak of another mantra: “Re-hire Wilson! Re-hire Wilson!” So routine is the futility, much of the anger has already given way to comedic apathy.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...e-to-leaf-fans

03-21-2012, 12:03 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Ya, let's have a constant rotation of personnel without letting a plan be executed properly. It'll only take another 5 years if Burke is fired for a new GM to put his plan into place. No thanks.
Burkes original plan was executed , the problem is it was a failure .

I have no flipping idea what the plan is now .

Old
andrewmn

It's was hard to make out a single chant under the deafening chorus of booing. There was no doubt a "fire burkie" contingent.

I see the koolaid krew is already working on a conspiracy theory. Heaven forbid that the grand architect of this disaster of a team draw the ire of frustrated fans.

andrewmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Mediocre young players are no better than mediocre old players .

This isn't rocket science . This team needs a high end core of 2-3 talented character players to build around .

I have no doubt we can make the playoffs in the next year or two but without an elite core we're not going anywhere when we get there .
Yep. Since Sundin left we haven't had anyone. Also maybe someone who can stop a puck.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:10 AM
diceman934

Does anyone really believe that Rogers and Bell want to pay 2 Billion dollars and Keep Burke as the face of the Leafs.

They most certainly are not worried about the contract of Burke's that is for sure.

My feeling is that the new owners will do one of two things....fire Burke or remove him from being the GM.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The Star confirms the chant.
As much as I think Dave Feschuk has made it his mission in life to get Brian Burke fired after Burke called him an imbecile, weasel, gutless etc, I don't know if I disagree with him.

I'm not a seasons ticket holder, and never been, so I can't say I've heard or seen Burke's message, but after what has transpired this season, we as fans all are owed an apology by not only Burke, but the players as well.

Pains me to say that I've lost respect for my favorite hockey team.

03-21-2012, 12:19 AM
haayward

We got the Rangers at home on HNIC this saturday, we've been good against them all year which is worry some, but they are a team that's actually competing and will probably win. How early we think the 'Fire Burke' chants will start?

haayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:19 AM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Burkes original plan was executed , the problem is it was a failure .

I have no flipping idea what the plan is now .
Burke has gotten rid of the old slow team and built a fast young team. It'll take a couple more years for them to mature and blossom.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:24 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Burke has gotten rid of the old slow team and built a fast young team. It'll take a couple more years for them to mature and blossom.
Who are you waiting to blossom on the team right now ? Most of Burkes supporters are waiting for some prospects to blossom and replace the young players we have now on the team .

Old
03-21-2012, 12:28 AM
dirk41

Quote:
you are a true Beleafer.

Who are these young and fast players on the team (roster) yet to "mature and blossom"?
Jake Gardiner
Matt Frattin (not brought in by Burke)
Drawing a blank. . . .

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:33 AM
number72

Funny how Burke has gone into hiding during this collapse.

Sure he is around to brag when the leafs are in the playoff race but now that the leafs have collapsed he is no where is Burke to take accountability for the disaster that is this season.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

Burkie might just quit on the team. You NEVER know.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:48 AM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Funny how Burke has gone into hiding during this collapse.

Sure he is around to brag when the leafs are in the playoff race but now that the leafs have collapsed he is no where is Burke to take accountability for the disaster that is this season.
I guess there is something that shuts him up .

Old
03-21-2012, 12:51 AM
DPyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
you are a true Beleafer.
Who are these young and fast players on the team (roster) yet to "mature and blossom"?
Jake Gardiner
Matt Frattin (not brought in by Burke)
Drawing a blank. . . .
We are already seeing Phil Kessel become a PPG player. Gardiner has potential, Kadri will need to work on his game. There are a bunch of other draft picks that will need time in the AHL. Building a contender takes a long time. Look at Vancouver.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
I was at the ACC tonite and unless I had a brain cramp I never heard that chant, not once! I call b.s. on the article.
Sportsnet said it as well, but were clear to stress that it was no where near as loud as the FIRE WILSON chants.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:12 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Sometimes it embarrasses me to be a leaf fan when these stupid chants rile up.

03-21-2012, 02:17 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
+1.

I have no problems with fans expressing themselves, but we act foolish far too often.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 03-21-2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: dont want to rub people too wrong lol
Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:33 AM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 50
I was all the way up in 319 and people were going off with this chant. For a second I felt like joining in, but it felt too silly to me. It was funny. But I personally don't want Burke fired. Not yet anyway. He's made good and bad moves, and I see cases for both sides. If people want to chant then go ahead. I don't think he's going anywhere for a little while. I do agree that we Leafs fans can get radical, but to be honest there is obviously a lot of restlessness among the fans of this team that has built up over the years. So let them call for his head or whatever.

I still think he's a good GM, but I can think that without drinking the kool-aid. Clearly the quick fix retooling or whatever has failed and we are now bordering on 5 years of suckage without the draft picks that go along with it. It will be interesting to see what he says at the conclusion of the season, and let's see what he does at the draft and during the off-season.

EmergencyExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:01 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:06 AM
LetzgoEggo

Quote:
Why? The organization doesn't have to fire him because fans show displeasure. At what point is it OK for the fans to chant, never? And if there is a "time", what chant wouldn't embarrass you? It's not that I want BB to go, but 2 me it's just fans trying to wake the team up somehow.

LetzgoEggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:11 AM
LetzgoEggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
As much as I think Dave Feschuk has made it his mission in life to get Brian Burke fired after Burke called him an imbecile, weasel, gutless etc, I don't know if I disagree with him.

I'm not a seasons ticket holder, and never been, so I can't say I've heard or seen Burke's message, but after what has transpired this season, we as fans all are owed an apology by not only Burke, but the players as well.

Pains me to say that I've lost respect for my favorite hockey team.
Just to be clear Mark Zwolinski wrote The Star article confirming the chant, not Feschuk. Not that you state otherwise but it could be easily mistaken, and as we all know there is a difference in bias.

LetzgoEggo is offline   Reply With Quote