HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help me defend phaneuf

Old
03-21-2012, 01:42 AM
johnnyutah

vCash: 500
Help me defend phaneuf

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1140743

hes getting bashed hard in this thread by leafs haters

johnnyutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
He's getting bashed because you asked for people's opinions on whether he's better than Keith Yandle. It's an easy choice for those who have seen both of them play

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:47 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 402
I refuse to help someone that says Gunnarsson is a pilon. Besides, Yandle is better.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:49 AM
johnnyutah

even if yandle is better people are saying "phaneuf is an awful defenseman" and "yandle is better at every aspect of the game including hitting"

Old
03-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

his play lately deserves criticism and I've defended him a bit on this board. Who knows, maybe hes playing with an injury, he's not skating like he used to.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:50 AM
johnnyutah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
I refuse to help someone that says Gunnarsson is a pilon. Besides, Yandle is better.
your right that was a little harsh, but most number 1 d-men get to play with ppl who are much better than gunnar

Old
03-21-2012, 01:51 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyutah View Post
your right that was a little harsh, but most number 1 d-men get to play with ppl who are much better than gunnar
Dion isn't a num 1 d-man .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Carlzner

So.......
you make a thread asking who is better...
say who you think is better in the OP...
get mad at people disagreeing with you....
ask for help in the leafs board.......

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:58 AM
johnnyutah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
So.......
you make a thread asking who is better...
say who you think is better in the OP...
get mad at people disagreeing with you....
ask for help in the leafs board.......

They arn't just disagreeing with me, they are attacking our captain, calling him an awful defenseman and what not. Just because times are tough doesn't mean we can't still be proud fans

Old
03-21-2012, 02:00 AM
stavs

phaneuf is ****. I'm sick of this whole team and the ****hole burke has turned this into

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:04 AM
johnnyutah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
phaneuf is ****. I'm sick of this whole team and the ****hole burke has turned this into
ok your no longer a fan of this team I see. Don't come crawling back when the leafs start winning again. If your gonna abandon the team then abandon us forever, go cheer for the sens they are doing well right now. I however am gonna stick with this team no matter what because i bleed blue

Old
03-21-2012, 02:04 AM
PasDaSquini

Quote:
They arn't just disagreeing with me, they are attacking our captain, calling him an awful defenseman and what not. Just because times are tough doesn't mean we can't still be proud fans
But he is an awful dman. Look at tonight he just completely left the blue line when pressure in the offensive zone was not eve established. Kessel passes it back to the point where Phaneuf should be but it sails wide and the Isles score. At times Phaneuf looks like the sure thing and at other times he doesn't. Consistency puts Yandle as the better player.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Wendelstache

Phaneuf is a ****ing clown, did you see him put his tail between his legs when they play Boston??

worse captain since Rob Ramage, the ****er has no passion that bleeds blue and white.

It sucks when your captain is a lazy ****, not the best way to set an example to the rest of his teamates.

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Wendelstache

Quote:
ok your no longer a fan of this team I see. Don't come crawling back when the leafs start winning again. If your gonna abandon the team then abandon us forever, go cheer for the sens they are doing well right now. I however am gonna stick with this team no matter what because i bleed blue
who the **** are you to revoke someone's fan status?

or you 12???

Old
03-21-2012, 02:09 AM
hdtrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstache View Post
who the **** are you to revoke someone's fan status?

or you 12???
He's right though.

True fans don't give up. This team we love will reward us for our loyalty one day. If you can't wait, you don't deserve said reward.

hdtrax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:10 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
I have been in countless arguements about leaf players defending them, and I'm being flat out embarassed by that boston showing on monday. Getting very pissed with this team, would be very happy with a top 3 pick however

pooleboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:13 AM
Wendelstache

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
He's right though.

True fans don't give up. This team we love will reward us for our loyalty one day. If you can't wait, you don't deserve said reward.
so someone is not a true fan because they see reality, and not over rate every player we have?

gtfo, drink more kool aid

Old
03-21-2012, 02:25 AM
stavs

Quote:
the truth hurts doesnt it, Burke has maybe made this team marginally better, still have tons of holes in the lineup that stand out sorely in gameplay. AS far as Im concerned, Burke has grossly failed his tenure here in Toronto

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:26 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don Draper View Post
He's right though.

Lmao, gold, absolute gold!!! Made my night. Thanks.

In all seriousness though, Phaneuf is an idiot, he makes the biggest bone headed plays of all time. His hockey IQ is -100%. He has no heart and/or leadership, the worst captain I've ever seen (since the mid 80's). He is a good 3-4 dman on a solid team like Pitts. Play him only 15-18 a night 2nd pp and with a partner that can cover up for him in the d-zone and he would be fine making 3.5 mill a year.
In regards to Yandle it's not even close, I'd take Yandle 17 times out of 10.

BudMaster17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:32 AM
The K Man

It's impossible to even try to defend him, there are just too many haters of him.

I don't understand why anybody would say he isn't a number 1 d man. Looking at all the d-men with at least 40 points, either they are elite or purely offensive. Dion isn't purely offensive at all, not saying he's elite, but there's no way he shouldn't be considered a #1.

With his time as a Leaf he's mostly played with Aulie, who is right now playing 8 minutes a night on TB's blue line, and Gunnarsson who was not much more than a 4/5 D man last season, being a healthy scratch most of the time. Give Dion a legit #2 or even #3 to play with and he'll thrive.

I love seeing all the Leaf fans coming out now that the Leafs are playing like crap just to say Dion is terrible and Kessel needs to be traded.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:35 AM
Tak7

I've defended Phaneuf enough on these boards throughout the season, but he's been crap the past 2 months.

I don't really care how many big, monstrous bodychecks he can throw. I'd trade all of them in for some decent defensive play and positioning.

He's half a stride slow to so many lose pucks right now.

You want to compare Dion to one of the brightest young Dmen in the league, and yet completely overlook how much of a defensive liability this guy, AND THEN wonder why people are giving you a hard time?

Tak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:40 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
It's impossible to even try to defend him, there are just too many haters of him.

I don't understand why anybody would say he isn't a number 1 d man. Looking at all the d-men with at least 40 points, either they are elite or purely offensive. Dion isn't purely offensive at all, not saying he's elite, but there's no way he shouldn't be considered a #1.

With his time as a Leaf he's mostly played with Aulie, who is right now playing 8 minutes a night on TB's blue line, and Gunnarsson who was not much more than a 4/5 D man last season, being a healthy scratch most of the time. Give Dion a legit #2 or even #3 to play with and he'll thrive.

I love seeing all the Leaf fans coming out now that the Leafs are playing like crap just to say Dion is terrible and Kessel needs to be traded.
I don't think he's a number one on a team that has a chance to win a Cup. He has the tools, but doesn't have the tool box. To put it lightly he has the hockey iq of a brick. I think he'd be great for us if we had a Suter or other comparable steady defenceman to shelter him. Where he isn't the go to guy or Captain.

TheNorthFace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:43 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:

40 pts constitutes a #1 dman? Common dude, the guy plays 25 mins a night.... Schenn plays half that quth no pp time and has 20 pts, does that mean he is a number 1?

Phaneuf can't play d, has below avg hockey IQ, and in most nights expecially last year he couldn't hit the net. He isn't a number 1 on a cup winning team for freakin sure. Hell will freeze over before Phaneuf is a top 1 even 2 dman on a cup team, this I bet my season tickets on.

BudMaster17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Tak7

Quote:

Give your head a shake bud.

Allow me to make you understand why he isn't a number 1 D.

....he's not good in his own zone.

He doesn't read the play well, he doesn't have the agility and speed to react the way we need him to, and his play is entirely dependent on having a steady partner next to him.

That to me, isn't #1 D material. Look at #1 Ds in the league; Chara, Lidstrom, etc. They are guys, that boss the ice, and they are guys that make everyone else around them better regardless of who they are playing with.

Do you get that sense with Dion? Have you EVER had that sense with Dion?

Dion is a great 3-4 guy at best. But I'm sorry; people suggesting he's a top pairing Dman overrate the guy way too much.

Tak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:52 AM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
40 pts constitutes a #1 dman? Common dude, the guy plays 25 mins a night.... Schenn plays half that quth no pp time and has 20 pts, does that mean he is a number 1?

Phaneuf can't play d, has below avg hockey IQ, and in most nights expecially last year he couldn't hit the net. He isn't a number 1 on a cup winning team for freakin sure. Hell will freeze over before Phaneuf is a top 1 even 2 dman on a cup team, this I bet my season tickets on.
I never said that.

Playing 25 minutes a night is a good thing, is it not? I don't even understand the whole Dion can't play D. Constantly I see him winning battles and try to chip it to the forwards where they fail to get it out. His D zone coverage is the only thing I would complain about. Too much standing around at times, but like I said get him a reliable defenseman and he'll look much better. Even get some forwards who can play in their own zone because that seems to be one of the biggest problems to me (other than goaltending of course).

I don't know, the first quarter of the season everybody was calling him top 10-15 D man in the league, and now that the team has gone downhill seems like the top players have been scapegoats.

Playing against other teams top lines compromised of OV or Stamkos while playing with Gunnarsson who shouldn't be near the top line, and with our forwards who are awful in our own zone will make it difficult on anybody.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote