HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Stralman has been a revelation (Appreciation thread)

Old
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

vCash: 500
What a transformation after the 1st game, in which he was tentative and shied away from contact. Now he's descisive, moves the puck out of the zone fast and efficiently, has a hard slapshot and love the way he nailed Clarkson the other night and knocked the wind out of him...definitely a pleasant surprise...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
What a transformation after the 1st game, in which he was tentative and shied away from contact. Now he's descisive, moves the puck out of the zone fast and efficiently, has a hard slapshot and love the way he nailed Clarkson the other night and knocked the wind out of him...definitely a pleasant surprise...
I agree about your comments and he even threw a clean hip check last night. Very pleased with his and MDZ's physical play.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
thepoeticgoblin

I'd hate to say that "I told you so", but I did, a lot. I always knew he had this in him. Thanks Torts for moulding him into a classic Torts player.

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:59 AM
mooseOAK*

Nice to see Stralman doing well. Always appreciated his talent but for some reason coaches in the past didn't like him very much.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Some people buy into what Torts preaches (Stralman) and some dont (Zherdev).

Very telling during 24/7 when Torts called out Stralman during the video session - said something to the effect of "we cant remind you all the time, you gotta be the one to push yourself".

He bought in - good for him.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Rangers4Life74

everyone could see the talent was there.now hes playing with alot of confidence and hes been terrific.everything they could ask for and a whole lot more.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Gatorade*

Leaf fans were very high on Stralman. There were a number of threads including a couple born from a Swedish article where Stralman was called "the next Lidstrom"

Anyway seems most Leaf fans were ultimately right... just took a little longer...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=403256

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
Great defense for sure if Sauer comes back but i'm not breaking up that McD - Girardi pair.
It's just nice knowing that if we decide to have McD out at the right point on the powerplay and Richards on the left, the next shift can be Staal Girardi without anyone worrying.

DEEP defense wins championships.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Raymones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Leaf fans were very high on Stralman. There were a number of threads including a couple born from a Swedish article where Stralman was called "the next Lidstrom"

Anyway seems most Leaf fans were ultimately right... just took a little longer...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=403256
It was a quote blown out of proportions. Getting drafted by the Maple Leafs didn't really help the case..

If I recall correctly, the quote was something like "I haven't seen a Swedish junior being able to dominate a shift like that since Lidström". The Swedish media spun on it, of course Toronto media and fans followed. I think it was the Swedish National Junior Team coach, Torgny Bendelin, who said it, but I'm sure my fellow Swedish fans can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've followed Strålman since juniors and always thought he had lots of talent, certainly enough to be a contributor at the NHL-level. I'm very glad he is doing well on the Rangers.

I've watched about ten Rangers games with him this season and it is obvious his defensive play is improved. He always had the smartness, but this season he also added a physical edge to his game. He uses his body more, wins battles, blocks shots, hits. Overall he's way more effective in his defensive game. The coaching staff has done a terrific job, and he seems to have responded big time to the "accountability" mentality (which I think was lacking in Columbus, and somewhat Toronto too). I'm very impressed by the fact that he, while making this change to his game, only collected 6 PIMs.

The last couple of games, IMO, he's started to look as comfortable and confident as he did when he established himself in the SEL and the Swedish National Team. I'm sure he will contribute more offensively as the season goes on. He's always done well in that regard, and hopefully the coaches give him more PP time.

Last edited by Raymones: 02-11-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Raymones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:51 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymones View Post
It was a quote blown out of proportions. Getting drafted by the Maple Leafs didn't really help the case..

If I recall correctly, the quote was something like "I haven't seen a Swedish junior being able to dominate a shift like that since Lidström". The Swedish media spun on it, of course Toronto media and fans followed. I think it was the Swedish National Junior Team coach, Torgny Bendelin, who said it, but I'm sure my fellow Swedish fans can correct me if I'm wrong.

I've followed Strålman since juniors and always thought he had lots of talent, certainly enough to be a contributor at the NHL-level. I'm very glad he is doing well on the Rangers.

I've watched about ten Rangers games with him this season and it is obvious his defensive play is improved. He always had the smartness, but this season he also added a physical edge to his game. He uses his body more, wins battles, blocks shots, hits. Overall he's way more effective in his defensive game. The coaching staff has done a terrific job, and he seems to have responded big time to the "accountability" mentality (which I think was lacking in Columbus, and somewhat Toronto too). I'm very impressed by the fact that he, while making this change to his game, only collected 6 PIMs.

The last couple of games, IMO, he's started to look as comfortable and confident as he did when he established himself in the SEL and the Swedish National Team. I'm sure he will contribute more offensively as the season goes on. He's always done well in that apartment, and hopefully the coaches give him more PP time.

Thx for this summary, was a good read!

I think Anton played really good hockey since he´s been here and became better and better. Hope he can hold this level untill the season ends!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:29 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
I agree, Anton has really stepped up with his physical play. The Clarkson play alone was really exciting and Stralman has hit more than a few other guys since coming to NY

It is quite likely because there was a book written on the guy which now has to be updated

its off thread but the hit on Dom Moore by Girardi last game was also a seat riser, and then Dom came right back for another hit

Love the physical play for NY, I have felt it was lacking over the last few seasons but its really a good feeling to see NY rattle the glass, outwork and outhit the opposition

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Chimp

I think this thread needs a bump. I don't agree with Torts to treat him this way because of a small slump. He was a top 4 D-man logging heavy minutes nightly earlier in the season when we needed him to take more responsibility. He's a great skater (especially his first stride), can pass the puck, play the point and is fine defensively when he's confident. We need puck distributors on the blue line. He has an awesome hip check which hammers guys most of the time. Has he committed mistakes? Sure, but who on this team hasn't lately when we were in a slump (yes, even Hank )? He was far from the only perp.

Give him a chance to play out of his slump dammit. We need him for the playoffs. Bickel is probably better than I give him credit for, I admit that, but I can't see how Strålman isn't a better D-man than Bickel in the long run and especially the playoffs. And oh, he could even be used on the PP if we need some more puck distribution and someone who is actually not afraid to fire from the point.

He was a great pickup and can possibly be another Girardi story (not saying he will ever be as good as Girardi, but they have similar stories, as many others - like Rozsival). Please don't waste that Torts.

Last edited by Chimp: 03-20-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I think this thread needs a bump. I don't agree with Torts to treat him this way because of a small slump. He was a top 4 D-man logging heavy minutes nightly earlier in the season when we needed him to take more responsibility. He's a great skater (especially his first stride), can pass the puck, play the point and is fine defensively when he's confident. We need puck distributors on the blue line. He has an awesome hip check which hammers guys most of the time. Has he committed mistakes? Sure, but who on this team hasn't lately when we were in a slump? He was far from the only perp.

Give him a chance to play out of his slump dammit. We need him for the playoffs. Bickel is probably better than I give him credit for, I admit that, but I can't see how Strålman isn't a better D-man than Bickel in the long run and especially the playoffs. And oh, he could even be used on the PP if we need some more puck distribution and someone who is actually not afraid to fire from the point.

He was a great pickup. Please don't waste that Torts.
Bickel has boosted his stock not only with his physical play and keeping it simple in the defensive zone, but also with his ability to know when to pinch and keep the puck in the offensive zone when it gets fired up the boards... I think Torts probably feels like Bickel is a better fit for the type of system or play that he wants out of the defensemen.... I could see Torts valuing Bickel's physical presence over Stralman's potential offensive contributions when it comes to the 'grind' of playoff hockey.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-20-2012 at 07:44 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Bickel has boosted his stock not only with his physical play and keeping it simple in the defensive zone, but also with his ability to know when to pinch and keep the puck in the offensive zone when it gets fired up the boards... I think Torts probably feels like Bickel is a better fit for the type of system or play that he wants out of the defensemen.... I could see Torts valuing Bickel's physical presence of Stralman's potential offensive contributions when it comes to the 'grind' of playoff hockey.
We need more scoring depth, I think we're fine with the current toughness. Strålman (Beam Man translated into English, what a wicked last name isn't that, like some Megaman boss ) has showed he can play Tort's system earlier in the system.

But I value your points. Torts probably sees it somewhat similar, so you're probably right. That doesn't stop me from thinking it's a shame though, I would've really liked to see what Strålman could bring to the table, after those stretches of playing like a really solid, versatile D-man, like the guy he was projected to become by scouts. Perhaps that's what intrigues me.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 07:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
We need more scoring depth, I think we're fine with the current toughness. Strålman (Beam Man translated into English, what a wicked last name isn't that ) has showed he can play Tort's system earlier in the system.

But I value your points. Torts probably sees it somewhat similar, so you're probably right. That doesn't stop me from thinking it's a shame though, I would've really liked to see what Strålman could bring to the table, after those stretches of playing like a really solid, versatile D-man, like the guy he was projected to become by scouts. Perhaps that's what intrigues me.
I said in another thread, Stralman deserves a lot of credit for stepping in and contributing and helping the Rangers play the way they did for a good chunk of the season while enduring the injuries to Sauer & Staal. I can see why some might feel bad for him but you have to figure that he knew coming into this season, that he was likely to be an extra d-man and I'm sure he could see the writing on the wall that he would likely be the first to get bounced from the starting rotation once the Rangers got healthy again. I agree that he has the best offensive upside of the remaining options, just unfortunately not consistent enough in bringing it.

Woywitka also gave us some meaningful minutes and he got the same deal. Eminger will likely also stay out of the line-up once he's healthy if Bickel is still holding up well.... Unfortunately just part of the nature of the business (can't be fair to everyone no matter how deserving). All these players seem like genuinely good guys though. Definitely bought into the team's identity and didn't complain about their roles, no matter how limited. Kudos to them for that.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:36 PM
JayQueensNY88*

I am def a fan of Bickel..Like his game solid and simple and hard nosed...

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:59 AM
NYR Viper

I honestly wonder if Stralman is a little banged up. I know he wasn't stellar the past few games he played but the re-call of Erixon over playing a player who was in the top-4 only a few weeks ago seems a bit excessive.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:15 AM
True Blue

Quote:
We need more scoring depth, I think we're fine with the current toughness.
The issue is that Sralman really provides not all that much of what is already here. His vaunted hip check has been on dislplay twice. His offense has been VERY pedestrian. Like others, I think that he was a very nice surprise and has filled in admirably and won the right to be in camp and compete for the last spot, but right now Bickel is the better player and deserves to be in the lineup. And that has nothing to do with a willingness to drop the gloves.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:16 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I know he wasn't stellar the past few games he played but the re-call of Erixon over playing a player who was in the top-4 only a few weeks ago seems a bit excessive.
On this, I agree. Erixon does not appear ready to me.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
WhiskeyDeke
Shut up, Keith.

Throws an old school nasty hipcheck, has a good point shot, and plays pretty solid D. Keep him, Glen!

WhiskeyDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Nosferatos

Any1 listen to blueshirt underground radio yesterday?

That one caller at the end was so in love with Stralman. Gushing praises all over him, comparing him with Staal, how he's the best D-man on the team and how Staal is not. And then there is the "speed", yes the "speed", the ever so important "speed"...

I was on the floor laughing my heart out. Stralman is good, but he ain't no Jesus.

Nosferatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:25 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Throws an old school nasty hipcheck, has a good point shot, and plays pretty solid D. Keep him, Glen!
What hip checks does he throw besides the one that he threw in one flyer game? And the half of one that he gave to Clarkson? Aside from that, where his his "nasty"
physical game?

And his good point shot has not really produced all that much in the offensive zone. I do not mean to disparage him and think that he should be in camp next year competing for a spot, but overall, I would judge him as a pretty mediocre player.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Tough to get out of chatteau bow-wow

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Vitto79

I still resign Stralman as a RFA under a million. He did well this yr and deserves a contract. Good back up to have if some kids falter

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I still resign Stralman as a RFA under a million. He did well this yr and deserves a contract. Good back up to have if some kids falter
Absolutely. I think that Emminger will seek his fortunes elsewhere, Erixon should commence the year in Hartford and Bickel and Stralman will be the 6th/7th defenseman, providing Sauer is healthy.