HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#73 KINGS v SHARKS, 3/20/12 ... Kings Win 5th (5-2) move into top 8 !!!

Old
03-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Inner Turbulence

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I have no idea what Williams was arguing about on that call. No one covered the puck, not Niemi and certainly not Doug Murray.
He probably THOUGHT Murray had covered it. The puck was lose, Murray was twitching his hand and the puck disappeared out of sight. It wouldnt be the first time an athlete argued for a call/non-call on incorrect terms.

keep in mind Williams doesn't get the benefit of multiple slowmotion replays from different angles.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Fair enough man but to me its not really about eating crow. I know we all want to see these guys succeed.

I was starting to think you might be right about this team as the season went on but lately I've seen a noticeable difference in the teams ability to funnel pucks toward the net with traffic and continuing to push forward late in games. I must say I'm really starting to believe again. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself but the Carter trade, so far, is giving me a similar feeling to the Felix Potvin run.

You're only as good as your last game and tonight the Kings are a pretty solid hockey club.
Well the team did have huge issues earlier in the year. The Carter trade was huge, as were the call-ups of King and Nolan.

There were good chunks of the year the Kings were a one line team, there wasn't much to be excited about. Terry Murray was in charge, Mike Richards was centering Jarret Stoll and Dustin Penner, Trent Hunter was on the PP, Ethan Moreau was skating a regular shift. The Kings bottom 6 was laughably bad

That trade and the call-ups, I think coupled with Sutter opening things up have really turned this team for the better.

And it's funny you mention 2001, I text my buddy during the game that this is starting to feel like 2001 where another huge trade shook up the team all the way to within a period of knocking off the 2 best teams in the NHL and probably playing in the finals.

There is not a single team I am seriously worried about with the exception of Pittsburgh, and well I think all of us would happily find a way to deal with that if we were fortunate enough to get that far.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
I honestly look at the schedule and fear nobody. This team has come a long way and is what I expected it to be at the beginning of the season, because I foolishly thought Moreau, Parse, and Hunter could fill roles for the year, that Penner would be able to get back to scoring in a second line role, and they clearly couldn't. There are still some flaws that could be exposed during playoff time, namely that this team doesn't pick up trailers now, just like they didn't against SJ last postseason, but this coach will figure that one out, he's no dummy. There have been major changes to the system, namely the activation of defensemen, and much more emphasis on carrying the puck through the middle, but I suppose that's for another topic. The team is also much more comfortable in their own zone without Jack and that's something that has to be noted because it's the absolute truth.

Even the move of putting our three worst forwards (who aren't currently scratches) on one line has panned out. I don't really like that line very much, but they aren't doing a lot that harms the team on the scoreboard and are oddly beginning to find ways to contribute positively on the scoreboard. As long as we can kill Stoll's penalties I can accept it. All these lines have defined roles it seems, including that one....which is weird and something I'm not used to. There's none of this constant juggling lines ******** and that's helped this team a lot.

As for Nolan, I think he has the same potential as somebody like Simmonds and that will be showcased next season. He's comfortable handling the puck, has good touch around the net, skates well, hits, and could beat down a lot of guys. His role will eventually expand and he'll flourish, I think.

It also helps that the captain is playing like he never really has in his career (IMO). The St. Louis game will be a tell-tale type game.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:42 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Turbulence View Post
He probably THOUGHT Murray had covered it. The puck was lose, Murray was twitching his hand and the puck disappeared out of sight. It wouldnt be the first time an athlete argued for a call/non-call on incorrect terms.

keep in mind Williams doesn't get the benefit of multiple slowmotion replays from different angles.
Exactly. Murray put his hand over the puck, but it ended up squirting out and underneath him. From where Williams was watching, he wouldn't have seen that. I enjoyed the fire coming from Williams. He was tenacious on that play.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:45 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Even the move of putting our three worst forwards (who aren't currently scratches) on one line has panned out. I don't really like that line very much, but they aren't doing a lot that harms the team on the scoreboard and are oddly beginning to find ways to contribute positively on the scoreboard.
Whoever called these guys the "misfits" on here got it exactly right. I think the fact that these guys have all struggled to find their role and effectiveness this year has brought them together and they play hard for each other. Stool is flying around out there, giving up the body to try and shake pucks loose; Lewis carries the puck up the ice and makes the little plays; and Penner is like Bowser in Mario Kart. It might take him a while to reach top speed, but he can have a powerful shot and when he is mad and takes the body it's awesome.

Like you said, all the lines have really solid identities now. I agree that Nolan has huge upside, maybe somewhere in between Simmonds and Clifford in terms of potential.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Just got home from the game; everything has already been said, that was ****ing great. Kopi and Rick were just awesome. **** YES, keep it rolling boys. So happy.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:45 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Anyone else notice that Kopi kept shaking and looking at his hand all night? Maybe minor injury.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:59 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Anyone else notice that Kopi kept shaking and looking at his hand all night? Maybe minor injury.
"So, these are what I need to score goals"

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:12 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
"So, these are what I need to score goals"
haha

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:35 AM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
I hope not !
Would be kinda' odd, considering how he's been dead-on-balls-accurate with his snap shots the last couple of games.

Maybe he is just looking at his own hands wondering - "why didn't you do that earlier in the season ?"

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:39 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Nice score sheet the Kings had for this game.

Penner with back to back games with goals?

I must be dreaming.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:24 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I honestly look at the schedule and fear nobody.

It also helps that the captain is playing like he never really has in his career (IMO). The St. Louis game will be a tell-tale type game.
That's the one team I want nothing to do with in the first round. St. Louis.

Win the division please.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:23 AM
timmeh

Wait... Has Penner scored twice in two games?! How has he looked as of late?

timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:25 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Good luck in the playoffs, fellas. With the likelihood that my guys will be teeing it up in 2 weeks, I'll hope you get out of the west.

03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmeh View Post
Wait... Has Penner scored twice in two games?! How has he looked as of late?
Chubby

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:34 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Can you give couple of examples when that happens?

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Remember when people were penciling in Trevor Lewis as a healthy scratch for next years roster? I just don't see it, the kid is getting better everygame. He's an NHL player no doubt.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Remember when people were penciling in Trevor Lewis as a healthy scratch for next years roster? I just don't see it, the kid is getting better everygame. He's an NHL player no doubt.
Depending on what Dean wants to do with the third line with Penner and Stoll UFAs, I wouldn't mind Lewis on the 4th line with Clifford and Nolan.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

This team's goal need be nothing less than the Pacific Division champion.

03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Richards got while trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone shoot the puck into Kopitars right hand. Kopitar was fine the last few minutes so I guess nothing serious about that...

Minor Boarding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Kings man 4 life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
What a game. From top to bottom we played great. We let our foot off the gas a little in the 3rd which had me nervous, but it's crazy, with the way we're playing, I knew we could put up another goal. Amazing what a few games of scoring will do to ones mind. Imagine what it does to the players when it makes us, on our couches, more confident.

Voynov was shaky in the first but I give him full props for picking it back up in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Richards showed that he shows up in huge games and Kopitar is a beast. I thought Lewis quietly had a great game. We stayed out of the box (we only had like, 2 penalties, right?) and dominated plays. An absolute joy to watch. Well done, Kings!
Still think Richards is playing injured, he doesn't have that pop in this stride when the season started, he looks very much like something is holding him back.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
I noticed. There was a point in the game that one of our guys shot the puck and it hit him on it's way to the net around the hands. Hopefully it's okay.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:27 AM
fyrescorp

Did anyone catch Kings talk after the game and hear Nick Nickson give a statistic regarding the Kings record w/Voynov in the lineup and w/o? I can't remember but it was pretty interesting.

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Well this game pretty much ended our playoff hopes this season. Enjoy the post season and at the very least make sure Dallas doesn't win the division.

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Richards got while trying to keep the puck in the offensive zone shoot the puck into Kopitars right hand. Kopitar was fine the last few minutes so I guess nothing serious about that...
Thanks for putting my mind at ease. We don't want to see anything happen to those hands...

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote