HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neverending Toughness Thread: Desharnais endorses White / Staubitz

Old
03-20-2012, 11:26 PM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Neverending Toughness Thread: Desharnais endorses White / Staubitz

good article for those who read French.
http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...ite-goon.shtml

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:30 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
I definitely agree having a couple of guys that can fight&play rough really helps. Not saying we should reshape the team's identity or anything but having a guy like White adds another dimension that was lacking to this team.

I've changed my opinion slightly on the matter. We need more emotion on the ice and we need to answer to be able to answer to intimidation. I'm not sold on Staubitz as a regular but even as a 13th forward he could be useful.

Bravery and determination are attributes that have sticked to the Habs trougthout history and White has those in good supplies. Balls too.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

If you have to walk through a really nasty looking alley at night, with some sketchy dude standing around, would you be more comfortable going through it with two bigger and stronger friends by your side?
It's the same damn thing. Of course players are gonna love those teammates, they are there to protect them and keep the opposing ''meanies'' at bay.

I don't care who's on our team next year. All I care about is this team winning games. If we do that with 6 goons, then by all means, do it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

First, I think Ryan White is an ideal energy player. Exactly the kind of guy you want for the 4th line. As for Staubitz... I like him too. Just seems like since we picked him up the club has been playing a lot more loose. A little sandpaper isn't a bad thing and I hope we hang onto him.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
First, I think Ryan White is an ideal energy player. Exactly the kind of guy you want for the 4th line. As for Staubitz... I like him too. Just seems like since we picked him up the club has been playing a lot more loose. A little sandpaper isn't a bad thing and I hope we hang onto him.
They might be playing looser because they're dead last in the conference.

Loved your post in the Price thread btw, the haters are plain ridiculous.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It's all about the brotherhood. You want to have guys that are going to go to war for you no matter what. We've had so many cases in recent years of Habs players getting manhandled and their teamates pretty much ignoring it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:51 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
It's all about the brotherhood. You want to have guys that are going to go to war for you no matter what. We've had so many cases in recent years of Habs players getting manhandled and their teamates pretty much ignoring it.
Maybe Gauthier watched the movie Goon?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

And I kept reading here how it was not important. Some knew that this supposed "team toughness" was a total bunch of crap. And you know hear the players saying exactly what they're thinking. Surely, nobody wants to have 20 goons. But you need some of those guys in a regular lineup. And if you can actually find some of those guys and that they could play hockey as high as on a 3rd line, so be it.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:05 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And I kept reading here how it was not important. Some knew that this supposed "team toughness" was a total bunch of crap. And you know hear the players saying exactly what they're thinking. Surely, nobody wants to have 20 goons. But you need some of those guys in a regular lineup. And if you can actually find some of those guys and that they could play hockey as high as on a 3rd line, so be it.
I think that I still have bruises from getting beat up so often on this board for advocating having guys like Staubitz on this team.

And now Desharnais is saying the same thing that I was saying. Are we now going to see DD bashing because he feels that way?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:06 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Really, you're using this as your validation? What did you expect Desharnais to say? "Yeah those two guys who are my teammates and share a locker room with me...I don't think they need to be here"?

Come on...it's a nothing article.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:14 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Really, you're using this as your validation? What did you expect Desharnais to say? "Yeah those two guys who are my teammates and share a locker room with me...I don't think they need to be here"?

No, the better answer DD could have given is that he enjoyed watching his teammates get pummeled without anyone standing up to anyone on the other team. And then he could have added that he misses Jacques Martin and his pacifism.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

No, the better answer DD could have given is that he enjoyed watching his teammates get pummeled without anyone standing up to anyone on the other team. And then he could have added that he misses Jacques Martin and his pacifism.
I'm glad we both agree that DD's obvious intent here is to toe the company line, as any player in the NHL would.

I suggest picking up Les Canadiens magazine for other in-depth, hard-hitting scoops.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:18 AM

I still think we need another guy. White is a good lightweight, Staubitz is a good middleweight, Moen too, but we don't have anybody that can hang with the heavies.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:22 AM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I'm glad we both agree that DD's obvious intent here is to toe the company line, as any player in the NHL would.

I suggest picking up Les Canadiens magazine for other in-depth, hard-hitting scoops.
And your intent is pretty obvious as well. You are content to see a very passive Canadiens team that is easily pushed around by every team in the NHL. Sorry hototogisu, but that approach has been proven to be a losing proposition.

Why do you want more of that?

Old
03-21-2012, 01:18 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I still think we need another guy. White is a good lightweight, Staubitz is a good middleweight, Moen too, but we don't have anybody that can hang with the heavies.
Paging Laraque at the moment

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:24 AM
OneSharpMarble

I believe the players were asking Gainey for years to get some toughness into the lineup but like most common sense it fell on deaf ears. Nice to see Gauthier is addressing all of the needs that were staring this team in the face for the past 10+ years
- Toughness
- Size
- #1 centre (soon hopefully)

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Beendair Donedat

Lol and the pacifists disparage YET another Habs player who says having tough guys is a good thing. It's amazing how much more the pacifists know than the guys actually playing the game. Hilarious.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
And your intent is pretty obvious as well. You are content to see a very passive Canadiens team that is easily pushed around by every team in the NHL. Sorry hototogisu, but that approach has been proven to be a losing proposition.

Why do you want more of that?
Well he's right. He didn't argue whether we need enforcers or not. He just said that validating the need for enforcers via this article is dumb. Desharnais wasn't going to say otherwise.

That said, Im a big White fan and I don't hate Staubitz. After the Laraque debacle, I wanted nothing to do with enforcers, not only because he wouldnt fight, but because he had no other hockey skills, at least at that point in his career.

I'd rather not give a roster spot to a player who does nothing but fight. Im against fights in hockey. But guys like White and Staubitz can do more than fight. They play hard. They bring energy. They Can bring in *some* offense. Perfect 4th liners, and White can even play the pk. All good with me!

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:47 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

midget DD likes to have tough guys on his side... shocking!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:35 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post

I would be fine with adding guys. Hopefully some that can play on the first, second and third line too.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Just compare the sincerity of the responses when they were asked about the lack of compared when they asked about the addition of. Please do. Then, how about the clear message Pacioretty sent not that long ago when he went OUT of his way to get his message through? That was also company oriented?

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Staubitz is a legit enforcer, a guy that will fight anybody in the NHL. We haven't had that since Laraque...plus Staubitz strikes me as a guy that would go after anybody that "messed" with our best players, fighter or not. Laraque stuck to staged fights.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Staubitz has done his job well here, don't have a problem bringing him back next year for cheap. Just play him against more physical teams and we're fine, I'd much rather play him for 4-5 minutes a game than dress 7 defenseman.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
You need a fourth line to bang bodies, create energy and intimidate the other team. I think Ryan White centering the fourth line is a fantastic start. He can hit well, can scrap with any middle-weight in the league and knows how to play decent hockey. Staubitz on his wing will allow White to play more tough, knowing if the heavyweights start to chase him, Staubitz can drop them and deal with those type.

I'd love Moen on the other wing but he has the defensive qualities to play on the third line. If the Habs could keep him there and sign another big winger - or insert Blunden on the other wing - the Habs fourth line will be really tough to handle. Play these guys 10 minutes or less, send them out there and tell em to make something happen.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Alot of posters seemed to totally buy into what Gauthier was spoon feeding them.

Team toughness is obviously important in today's NHL and is clearly important to Habs players. I like some of the changes we've made in the last few weeks but i still think we have more work to do in that area.

Ideally i'd like to see us add a tough bottom pair d-man to split duties with Diaz, and one more physical forward (assuming Moen and Staubitz are brought back).

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote