HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Offense: Slump or Problem?

Old
03-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Schenn10

vCash: 500
Flyers Offense: Slump or Problem?

The Flyers Goal totals in the last 9 games are as follows:

WSH: 1 (21st in G/A)
Det: 3 (4th in G/A)
Fla: 5 (15th in G/A)
Tor: 0 (1 for win in shootout) (28th in G/A)
NJD: 1 (10th in G/A)
NJD: 3 (10th in G/A)
NYI: 3 (27th in G/A)
Bos: 2 (6th in G/A)
Pit 3: (9th in G/A)
Fla: 1 (15th in G/A)

Total: 22
G/G: 2.44

2.44 goals per game (granted in a very small sample size) would put us 26th in the league in goals a game. We have managed to go 7-2-1 during this stretch based mainly on the strong play of the team defense and goaltending.

The question coming into this season after the trades of richards and carter, and the departure of leino were where was the flyers offense going to come from? Over the course of the season up till this recent stretch it has seemed as if the offense wasn't a problem at all. But since teams have started the stretch run before the playoffs, defenses havent tightened up (especially limiting the space of Giroux and Jagr), we seem to have an increased problem putting the puck into the back of the net.

Combine this with the fact that we have alot of rookies on the team that may be hitting the "rookie wall" late in the season, and it has started to worry me that this stretch of inconsistent offense may become the norm.

So the question I pose is: is this recent stretch of poor offense simply a slump? or do you feel it may be a problem continuing into the playoffs?

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Orange Crush 89

Routine. Seems like this happens every year.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Less aggressive. We're clearly better on defense as of late, I think we've sacrificed some offense to be better defensively. I think a lot of the teams have realized that we give the puck to Giroux, Jagr, Briere, or Voracek and let them try and skate into the zone...and all the teams are putting 4+ defenders at the blue line. Kinda want to see the dump-and-chase back, especially since we pride ourselves on being a fast, strong forechecking team...

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:01 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
We are playing more playoff type hockey instead of the run and gun we were playing earlier. Which is a good thing.

StandingCow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:16 PM
BrindamoursNose

Offense went down, Defense went up.

I'm okay with this

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Flyerfan4life

as long as we can find a way to stop making backup goalies look like superstars on the other teams im fine with low scoring games.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:20 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
We are playing more playoff type hockey instead of the run and gun we were playing earlier. Which is a good thing.
I think this is spot on. With the offensive depth we have, we shouldn't be slumping for too long though. I think it is time to split up Jagr and Giroux however, at least when we get JvR back.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
JvR-Read-Jagr
Simmonds-Couturier-Talbot
Wellwood-Schenn-Brière

the lines are not 1-4, but rather 2a,2b,3a,3b. I doubt we will see Read at center though, but I think I would prefer him over Brière or Talbot personally. If we need some more energy in the lineup, add in Rinaldo instead of Wellwood. Hopefully JvR and Jagr can connect, having a second line that would be a threat any time they are on the ice would be great. Couturier's line would be a fairly traditional third line (except being led by a rookie). Then you just hope that Brière will do his usual playoff routine.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:34 AM
BillDineen

Briere is showing signs of life, but Simmonds, Schenn and Read are still slumping. G is producing, but he has lost confidence and passes up too many shots for a needle nose passes IMO.

I would like to see:

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr --- Giroux or Jagr leading the rush
JVR-Briere-Simmonds --- JVR leading the rush (as he did last playoffs)
Wellwood-Schenn-Voracek --- Voracek leading the rush with Wellwood speed for support
Read-Couturier-Talbot --- Read and Couturier had good chemistry earlier in the season

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:16 AM
RoDu

what was our PP doing during this stretch?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:53 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Roughly -12%, I'd guess.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:35 AM
dawkins121

This really shouldn't surprise too many people. Before the season we all thought the only way we'd be successful is if our defense and goaltending carried us as our offense full of rookies tried to adapt to the NHL. I think the early play of Bryz and some early scoring spurts from guys having career years that couldn't realistically sustain their pace (Talbot, Read, even Simmonds) kind of flipped those expectations on their head a little bit but now that Bryz is back on track and some of our rookies look like they are hitting the wall things are back to the way we thought they would be.

That being said guys like Briere, Jagr, and Simmonds are due to snap out of their slumps eventually (even though it seems like Briere's has been going on all season) and hopefully guys like Read and Schenn can battle through the rookie wall and start producing a little more.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
FlyersFan61290

If JVR were healthy I would go:

JVR-G-Jake
Hartnell-Briere-Jagr
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Wellwood/Rinaldo-Coots-Talbot

Maybe giving Briere Hartnell and Jagr will jump start his offense. G might be able to recapture his magic with JVR and it seems like the more ice time Jake gets the better he plays and putting him with G equals more ice time. The Schenn line didn't look good yesterday but I just think they need a little more time and if that doesn't work out swap Schenn with Coots and hope him and Read can get it going again. Then you got a real hard working 4th line that can pot a few too.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:36 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Routine. Seems like this happens every year.
you expect this and injury issues with impact Dmen heading into the playoffs.

same thing, every year. still shake my head at 2004

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
4 for 22 or 18.18%

About our season average, slightly lower (1%). Thats still a number good enough for 12th in the league in PP% instead of our current place of 6th.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Keaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
If JVR were healthy I would go:

JVR-G-Jake
Hartnell-Briere-Jagr
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Wellwood/Rinaldo-Coots-Talbot

Maybe giving Briere Hartnell and Jagr will jump start his offense. G might be able to recapture his magic with JVR and it seems like the more ice time Jake gets the better he plays and putting him with G equals more ice time. The Schenn line didn't look good yesterday but I just think they need a little more time and if that doesn't work out swap Schenn with Coots and hope him and Read can get it going again. Then you got a real hard working 4th line that can pot a few too.
I don't think we should take Hartnell off of Giroux's line especially with his production there but maybe Vorachek instead of Jagr on that line would make it beastly.

Keaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:28 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaver View Post
I don't think we should take Hartnell off of Giroux's line especially with his production there but maybe Vorachek instead of Jagr on that line would make it beastly.
Someone else actually suggested moving Hartnell to Briere's line a little while ago and I said the same thing but for a couple games it couldn't hurt. If they plan on doing anything come playoff time IMO they need to have two solid scoring lines and right now they don't have that. Maybe they should just move Jagr and see if that works as you said but Briere is the key to a successful post season and they need to get him going somehow

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:35 AM
thelos
Bunk

I've been in support of moving Hartnell to Briere's line for awhile. Briere really needs to get kickstarted

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

stretches like the OP pointed out is why teams dont score 300 plus goals anymore and any prediction of that no matter how much depth you have makes little sense.
Every year people in the preseason prediction thread we have people predicting crazy team goal totals. Just doesnt happen. These are the types of games you are going to have to win in the playoffs.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm glad they have tightened things up team D wise and the goaltending has been playoff caliber. Having said this, I would like to see them finish better. At least they are getting/generating the chances for the most part. I think once the playoffs start they will ramp up their intensity on offense a bit more. The key was getting the team to play more responsibly in front of Bryzgalov...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:41 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
This. I would be much more concerned going into the playoffs if we were playing the run and gun hockey instead of this hockey. Now I have a little bit of faith they can make it as long as Bryz stands on his head.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

gotta find ways to score goals 5 on 5 tho. If you are relying on the PP to score all your goals in the playoffs 99/100 you are going to get beat.
I do like that the D is playing better and Bryzgalov has been really good since the break. I just hope they dont sit Wellwood when JVR comes back.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
gotta find ways to score goals 5 on 5 tho. If you are relying on the PP to score all your goals in the playoffs 99/100 you are going to get beat.
I do like that the D is playing better and Bryzgalov has been really good since the break. I just hope they dont sit Wellwood when JVR comes back.
Yeah hopefully they sit Rinaldo. Wellwood-Couturier-Talbot is a monster 4th line

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
BrindamoursNose

Am I crazy to say that I want Harry Z back??? What happened to him!

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:12 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Am I crazy to say that I want Harry Z back??? What happened to him!
Who would you sit? I don't think Scrabbles was bad, but I'd rather have Wellwood or Rinaldo on the team.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote