HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Energy drinks and their repercussions...

Old
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

vCash: 500
Energy drinks and their repercussions...

Hey guys, I just saw a horrible story on the Today Show this morning about a young girl who drank 2 Monster Energy drinks and died of cardiac arrest. I used to drink only 1/2 can cut with water before a game. I'm not thinking this is such a great idea any more. What do you guys do for energy before a game? I don't want to drink just coffee because it bothers my stomach. Any suggestions or experiences you want to share?

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:18 AM
Droid6

My games are always late and it's hard enough for me to come down after a game and go to sleep as it is. If I drank an energy drink before my game I'd be up all night.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Meal and a nap. Works like a charm.

Hansen 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Ozz

We all have different tolerances and body conditions. Ephedra was able to be used safely but there were some back in the day who abused it and that was the end of that for everybody.

Me, I've had 9 Monsters within a couple hour span once at Mayhem Festival and was able to get to bed as soon as I got home as usual.

Most the time if I have one before a game, I don't even feel any different. I just hope for the placebo effect if nothing more, I don't want to be doubling my expenses to have 2 for every game.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
My games are always late and it's hard enough for me to come down after a game and go to sleep as it is. If I drank an energy drink before my game I'd be up all night.
yeah, unfortunately I end up getting to sleep around 2am or so. The downside...

Old
03-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Meal and a nap. Works like a charm.
That sounds pretty sensible unfortunately I usually don't have much time to get much rest before gametime; Its usually just lying down for about an hour before getting dressed.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
We all have different tolerances and body conditions. Ephedra was able to be used safely but there were some back in the day who abused it and that was the end of that for everybody.

Me, I've had 9 Monsters within a couple hour span once at Mayhem Festival and was able to get to bed as soon as I got home as usual.

Most the time if I have one before a game, I don't even feel any different. I just hope for the placebo effect if nothing more, I don't want to be doubling my expenses to have 2 for every game.
9! Wow, I think if I had 9 in one day my chest cavity might blow up in a pink mist. Me, I eat light before a game so even a 1/2 to 3/4 of a large can gets me going.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sad story. I'm guessing she had a heart condition beforehand though.

I used ephedrine and caffeine back in the day to drop about 20 pounds, worked pretty well, but yeah I wouldn't touch it again as I'm not sure the long-term effects.

For me, a cup of coffee or a diet soda before a game seems to work just fine. I don't need a crapload of sugar beforehand because I try and keep my diet pretty clean most of the time.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:16 AM
pshort

Whatever happened to fueling your body with the right food? ... and activating your muscles before you dress for a game?

pshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshort View Post
Whatever happened to fueling your body with the right food? ... and activating your muscles before you dress for a game?
For me, the energy drink is more of a metal sharpness boost than actual energy. Obviously (you'd think...) true energy comes from food.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:57 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

All I know is that two Finnish SM-liiga teams banned their juniors from using energy drinks and that the ones I have ever tasted, were awful (Red Bull and Battery).

For kids that aren't allowed to drink yet in Finland, energy drinks have become the substitute. Annoying site to see kids with their cheap energy can drinks all over the place acting like they're drinking alcohol (and usually throwing the cans away, aka littering).

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Yuck on energy drinks. They taste terrible and you're putting a lot of junk into your body.

Stories is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:07 AM
SouthpawTRK

Definitely very sad for a girl to die so young; no parent should have to bury their kid.

Here is the link to the story: http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.c...-energy-drinks

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Malreg

I drink maybe 1-2 redbulls a week. They are more for helping me get through that long boring afternoon at work. Personally, the effects seem to last about an hour to an hour and a half. I've had one and then be able to take a nap 2 hours later.

I started having one before hockey a few weeks ago. I play Tuesday nights from 10:30 p.m to midnight, so I'm usually feeling exhausted before I even leave for the arena. Napping beforehand isn't really an option for me, because every time I've tried, I wasn't able to fall asleep afterwards until about 3 a.m, which isn't good when you have to wake up at 7 a.m for work.

So I started drinking a redbull before the game. I've noticed that it helps (whether it's a placebo effect or not I have no idea) and I can still fall asleep after the game as I usually do (around 2 a.m.).

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK View Post
Definitely very sad for a girl to die so young; no parent should have to bury their kid.

Here is the link to the story: http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.c...-energy-drinks
Terrible. My wife was yelling at me this morning for drinking Monster Energy before games. I used to drink Red Bull before lifting weights and eventually I stopped due to chest discomfort. I know this stuff is bad for you.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
I drink maybe 1-2 redbulls a week. They are more for helping me get through that long boring afternoon at work. Personally, the effects seem to last about an hour to an hour and a half. I've had one and then be able to take a nap 2 hours later.

I started having one before hockey a few weeks ago. I play Tuesday nights from 10:30 p.m to midnight, so I'm usually feeling exhausted before I even leave for the arena. Napping beforehand isn't really an option for me, because every time I've tried, I wasn't able to fall asleep afterwards until about 3 a.m, which isn't good when you have to wake up at 7 a.m for work.

So I started drinking a redbull before the game. I've noticed that it helps (whether it's a placebo effect or not I have no idea) and I can still fall asleep after the game as I usually do (around 2 a.m.).
Sounds like we're in a similar situation. I get tons of ice time and we always have a short bench but I need to find another way to keep my legs moving throughout 3 periods.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I see it as three main factors affecting my energy:

Caffeine (short term) - this affects my mental alertness, mostly for early or late games. Not more than a cup of coffee or a soda. Like someone said, more mental than physical, and too much makes you jittery and for me makes me anxious.

Diet (mid term) - this fuels the game or workout. Diet over a few days is the biggest consideration. If I'm out drinking the night before, I'm usually pretty bad, but if I've been eating right for a week, I have lots of energy throughout, especially late in the game.

Conditioning (long term) - this affects how quickly I become worn down and how quickly I recover. The better shape I'm in, the more I recover and the better I am after long shifts or late in the game. Think about avoiding the burn and being able to do those quick starts/stops and attack the puck carrier after being stuck out on the ice for an entire PK in your end.

Caffeine or energy drinks are just a quick fix that wear off and don't help all that much. Diet you can clean up and notice a difference within a few days. Conditioning though takes several weeks to start making a difference, but it makes the biggest difference overall.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Makes sense Jarick; I know I should definitely slow down on the high salt/sugar foods. One tough aspect is late game times.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
ean

These drinks are disgusting. I couldn't even imagine having one before a game.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Makes sense Jarick; I know I should definitely slow down on the high salt/sugar foods. One tough aspect is late game times.
I don't really know salt makes a difference unless you're dehydrated. But sugary foods tend to spike then crash energy and may muck with your hormones.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

People need to be careful with these drinks. My dad is a cardiologist, and he was telling me how lots of kids are coming in these days with heart problems from too many energy drinks. I know people that live on that stuff.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:45 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I usually drink an 8oz sugar free Red Bull on my way to the rink. No sugar and contains about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. If you read the story the girl had a heart condition, knew about it and decided to drink the equivalent of 14 cans of Coke. So to just broadly label all energy drinks as bad for you is incredibly dumb and uninformed. I don't care what you look like or what kind of shape you're in-if you drink 14 cans of Coke you're putting yourself at risk.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I usually drink an 8oz sugar free Red Bull on my way to the rink. No sugar and contains about as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. If you read the story the girl had a heart condition, knew about it and decided to drink the equivalent of 14 cans of Coke. So to just broadly label all energy drinks as bad for you is incredibly dumb and uninformed. I don't care what you look like or what kind of shape you're in-if you drink 14 cans of Coke you're putting yourself at risk.
Just two cans of Monster Energy equals those 14 cans.

Old
03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Caffeine Table

8oz drip coffee ~ 100mg
8oz Starbucks/etc ~ 150mg
8oz tea ~ 50mg
12oz soda ~ 50mg
16oz Monster ~ 160mg
8.3oz Red Bull ~ 80mg

This girl drank 48oz of Monster, 480mg. A LOT. But for those who drink say 3 cups of strong coffee per day, that's the same amount. And I have coworkers who drink that much.

Mayo Clinic Guidelines:

Quote:
For most healthy adults, moderate doses of caffeine — 200 to 300 milligrams (mg), or about two to four cups of brewed coffee a day — aren't harmful.
Key words "healthy adults".

I dunno, makes me think about my caffeine consumption. Usually two diet sodas plus a drip coffee and sometimes another diet soda or green tea. It's in that 200-300mg range, but higher than I expected. Might have to pick up some decaf tea instead and try more water.

Old
03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
Just two cans of Monster Energy equals those 14 cans.
Correction:

16oz Monster = 160mg

She had two 24oz cans = 480mg

Coke 12oz = 54mg

So it's actually a bit under 9 cans of Coke.