HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

how can we aquire a top defenceman

Old
03-21-2012, 02:09 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
There's no link. It was reported he quietly put the word out to GM's he has no intention of playing in Canada by Bob Stauffer the closest guy in the media to the Edmonton Oilers.
That's bs, no Player in their right mind would come out and say that for soooo many diffrent reasons. Least of all he plays with a bunch of Canadians, even if he felt that way makes zero sence to put a slight against half your teammates country. Bargaining power... Being perceived as a bigot... Closing 7 options on himself without hearing or looking into what they can offer...

How does a writer from Edmonton know what's going on with Suter? If this story had any validity to it it would come from Nashville and probably a few other sources as well, not Edmonton. Funny how you google 'Bob Stauffer, Ryan Suter' and the only mention that comes up about Suter not wanting to play in Canada is from you.

BudMaster17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:12 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
That's bs, no Player in their right mind would come out and say that for soooo many diffrent reasons. Least of all he plays with a bunch of Canadians, even if he felt that way makes zero sence to put a slight against half your teammates country. Bargaining power... Being perceived as a bigot... Closing 7 options on himself without hearing or looking into what they can offer...

How does a writer from Edmonton know what's going on with Suter? If this story had any validity to it it would come from Nashville and probably a few other sources as well, not Edmonton. Funny how you google 'Bob Stauffer, Ryan Suter' and the only mention that comes up about Suter not wanting to play in Canada is from you.
I'm not saying that the story is correct, but it could be plausible that Suter made such comments around the deadline, when it was discussed whether or not to trade him considering his decision to test free agency.

"If you are looking to trade me, I would prefer it not be..." etc

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 50
Quote:

fwiw, Stauffer is more connected with the hockey world than most journalists. He's got an direct link with the Oilers organization and often hints at things on his show before they go down. Obviously he can't come outright and pass along everything he hears, but he's definitely got credibility and the credentials to back it up.

Joseppi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:16 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Compare the contract he got in New York, to the one that the Calgary Flames were offering him. Then come and tell me that they are very different scenarios.

Like I said, you don't know what you are talking about, in July Suter will get his money, at which point you will still have no idea what you are talking about, and then we will discuss how reducing his options by 23% "never resulted in a good outcome".
Richards never said he didn't want to sign with a Canadian team. Where are you going with this?

He signed with the better team who offered him slightly less than the worse off team did. Big surprise!

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
Richards never said he didn't want to sign with a Canadian team. Where are you going with this?

He signed with the better team who offered him slightly less than the worse off team did. Big surprise!
Was suggested many times he didn't want to play in Canada.

He had almost identical deal in Calgary compared to what he eventually took in New York

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:20 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Was suggested many times he didn't want to play in Canada.

He had almost identical deal in Calgary compared to what he eventually took in New York
He listened to offers which means he contemplated it. Suter, allegedly, will not entertain offers.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:08 AM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseppi View Post
fwiw, Stauffer is more connected with the hockey world than most journalists. He's got an direct link with the Oilers organization and often hints at things on his show before they go down. Obviously he can't come outright and pass along everything he hears, but he's definitely got credibility and the credentials to back it up.
Thats fine, but I'm sure he hears bs too. Not everything going his way can possibly be true if it's roumored or gossip. Unless Suter himself or his agent Or mutiple media heads come out and say it I'm not inclined to believe something that isn't even written down anywhere, or an audio quote floating around. Like I said too many reasons to believe its just bs at this point like 95% of the stuff that is thrown around.

BudMaster17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:09 AM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

Quote:
He listened to offers which means he contemplated it. Suter, allegedly, will not entertain offers.
so what, when Kovalchuk hit free agency he said he didn't want to live or play in Canada and yet he still got his 100 million, last Summer Parise said he has no interest in playing for a Canadian team but he'll probably still cash out this summer

Suter will get his money

MountainGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:36 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

what would suter want?

7.5 for 7 yrs ?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:39 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Schultz or Suter are the best hope

Plus you have Schenn and Gardiner developing

Underdog Blacker

no need to waste assets.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Ometheus

Develop one of the many we have on our team and in our system.

The only one on our team that's rounding over the hill is Komisarek.

Ometheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Flea90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
Nothing.

Cash to Ryan Suter in four months. Done.
this

Flea90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:40 PM
Smif

We really can't afford to give more money to our back end. If we want Suter we need to get rid of Komisarek and Phaneuf.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccio1980 View Post
what would we have to trade to aquire a #1 defenceman
Trade Phaneuff for the cap space to sign Suter as a UFA.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
I'm not saying that they don't have money but effectively reducing your potential suitors by roughly 23% is never a good outcome.

Brad Richards was in a very different scenario, one which saw the Toronto Maple Leafs loft the largest offer to him. Richards, however, had different goals in that he wanted a retirement contract and an NMC and Burke wouldn't budge on the length of the contract.
you shouldnt make stuff up, and not expect people to call BS on you, because the Leafs did not make the largest offer

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:59 PM
landeskog11

sign Matt Carle and draft Ryan Murray

landeskog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Give him 7.5 mill

Give him your 1st born.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:09 PM
ponder

a) Draft one
b) Hope Gardiner develops into one
c) Try to sign/trade for an up and coming dman with high end potential (like Schultz)
d) Try to sign a top notch UFA (like Suter)

Drafting one is the surest bet, because once teams get their hands on a #1 dman, they'll generally do everything in their power to keep said dman around. I think Gardiner has #1 upside, who knows if he gets there, but I'm pretty high on his future. Same goes for Schultz, and while I think we probably do not land him, I could see us having a shot.

As for Suter, I cannot see why he'd want to play for the Leafs at all, I'd give us close to a 0% chance of signing him, but hey, you never know. Seriously though, Nashville are way better than us, he likes it there, he's American so there's no special lure to playing in Canada, and we literally never land the top free agents, why would he want to sign here and suffer through a struggling, directionless franchise? If he leaves Nashville (and that's a big "if"), I have to think it'll be to go to a team that are BETTER than the Preds, not a team that's way worse.

One last option is to hope Phaneuf develops into a steady #1 dman. He has the offense to be a #1 dman, and he's got size and physicality on his side, but he has a LONG way to go in terms of playing at a high level in his own end. His defensive positioning needs work for sure, and more than that I think he's actually a pretty poor backwards skater. He's quite mobile going forwards, but going backwards guys simply walk around him like he's standing still all the time, I can't count the number of times that Phaneuf is defending in a 1 on 1 situation, and the opposing forward simply skates right around him with no semblance of a move, just blowing by him like he's standing still. If he improves his backwards skating, and generally improves his defensive positioning, he could be a legit #1 dman. Sounds like a long shot, but he is only 26, and it's not that uncommon for dmen to really have it all "click" around their late 20s/early 30s.

Last edited by ponder: 03-21-2012 at 01:18 PM.
ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
MessierII

Quote:

Stauffer is very well connected. Oilers fans heard about the Johnson Carter trade almost an hour before it was reported by any major media. You don't have to believe me but don't be suprised if you start hearing this reported by by Bob Mackenzie and the gang as July 1st approaches.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
a) Draft one
c) Try to sign/trade for an up and coming dman with high end potential (like Schultz)

Drafting one is the surest bet, because once teams get their hands on a #1 dman, they'll generally do everything in their power to keep said dman around. I think Gardiner has #1 upside, who knows if he gets there, but I'm pretty high on his future. Same goes for Schultz, and while I think we probably do not land him, I could see us having a shot.

As for Suter, I cannot see why he'd want to play for the Leafs at all, I'd give us close to a 0% chance of signing him, but hey, you never know. Seriously though, Nashville are way better than us, he likes it there, he's American so there's no special lure to playing in Canada, and we literally never land the top free agents, why would he want to sign here and suffer through a struggling, directionless franchise? If he leaves Nashville (and that's a big "if"), I have to think it'll be to go to a team that are BETTER than the Preds, not a team that's way worse.

One last option is to hope Phaneuf develops into a steady #1 dman. He has the offense to be a #1 dman, and he's got size and physicality on his side, but he has a LONG way to go in terms of playing at a high level in his own end. His defensive positioning needs work for sure, and more than that I think he's actually a pretty poor backwards skater. He's quite mobile going forwards, but going backwards guys simply walk around him like he's standing still all the time, I can't count the number of times that Phaneuf is defending in a 1 on 1 situation, and the opposing forward simply skates right around him with no semblance of a move, just blowing by him like he's standing still. If he improves his backwards skating, and generally improves his defensive positioning, he could be a legit #1 dman. Sounds like a long shot, but he is only 26, and it's not that uncommon for dmen to really have it all "click" around their late 20s/early 30s.
This^ ....Suter may sign with Nashville now that they are looking like a real good team.

Drafting one is the only way. There are a few in the Draft.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
a) Draft one

I think he needs to take shorter shifts, he always looks exhausted and that's usually when players beat him.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:30 PM
landeskog11

hire me as general manager ill get it done and done.

landeskog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Orbital

Somehow package Komi + Kadri+Schenn for B.Seabrook.Sign Schultz!

Last edited by Orbital: 03-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Orbital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by landeskog11 View Post
hire me as general manager ill get it done and done.
Would you trade for Landeskog?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Morlu

Draft one of become a contender. No one will sign in this mess.

Morlu is offline   Reply With Quote