HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Friedman's thoughts on the Habs

Old
03-20-2012, 11:09 PM
sharks9

vCash: 500
Friedman's thoughts on the Habs

Was just reading Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts and there were some pretty interesting ones about the Habs.

Quote:
22. That shot from the Montreal/Ottawa game last Friday of Canadiens head coach Randy Cunneyworth and Chris Campoli going at each other didn't go unnoticed. Guys who've played for Cunneyworth say that never happens with him.
Looks like Campoli will be looking for a job overseas or in the AHL next year.

Quote:
23. As tough as this season's been for Montreal, the Canadiens do play hard for Cunneyworth. They killed nine Ottawa power plays Friday night. He's done his best with a bad hand, while Canadiens fans kill a kitten each time Kirk Muller's Carolina Hurricanes win a game.
It was pretty nice to see our PK doing that great that game. Hopefully that keeps up next year even though we won't have Gill for the whole year.

Quote:
24. The Canadiens look like a totally different team with Andrei Markov in the lineup. He controls the game whenever he's on the ice. Ask the players how much of a difference he makes and they don't say anything at first. They just roll their eyes. Common sentiment: "Passes always hit the tape of your stick." And with that stone-eyed look, it's all business when he's around.
Great to hear this about Markov. Our blueline will be so much more stable if he's healthy for all of next year. Imagine how many 3rd period leads we would've been able to hold on to if he had played more this year...

Quote:
25. For his part, Markov says he's nowhere near the pace he wants to be, adding he's noticed he's a step behind several times. Considering Montreal didn't want him playing on back-to-back nights last weekend, I can't see any way the organization allows him to play in the worlds. Too much at stake.
I don't really get this one. Shouldn't they let him play in the Worlds to gain that pace back? Or do they expect him to just get in shape by working out during the off-season? Weird...

Here's a link to the full article http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Was just reading Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts and there were some pretty interesting ones about the Habs.

It was pretty nice to see our PK doing that great that game. Hopefully that keeps up next year even though we won't have Gill for the whole year.

Great to hear this about Markov. Our blueline will be so much more stable if he's healthy for all of next year. Imagine how many 3rd period leads we would've been able to hold on to if he had played more this year...

I don't really get this one. Shouldn't they let him play in the Worlds to gain that pace back? Or do they expect him to just get in shape by working out during the off-season? Weird...

Here's a link to the full article http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html
Markov hasn't really looked all that great since coming back. Not criticizing him at all, but I agree with Andrei that he's a step behind. Hopefully he improves over the summer but right now he just doesn't look close to the player he was.

That pass to MaxPac in his first game back though was amazing.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Nice read.

I like the "stone-eyed / all-business" comment about Markov

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:28 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Anybody have a clip of cunneyworth yelling at Campoli? I missed it.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'd like to know who are the guys Friedman spoke to. RC has never coached in the NHL, so it's kind of useless to know that never happened in the AHL.
In the NHL, within a couple of months, we've seen this current coaching staff have these ''discussions'' with Campoli, Gomez and PK. Twice it was RL, once RC, but in the end they are the coaching staff. Doesn't seem all that uncommon with them.

Quote:
Our PK has been doing great all year, nothing new. Whether it's 2 or 3 penalties, or 7-8-9, we take pride in killing penalties. It's the only thing we do better than others.
It has nothing to do with ''playing hard for RC''. That's BS.

Quote:
Yes, our blueline will be better with a healthy Markov. Everybody knew this.
Even with a few steps behind, he is still better than most. With another 2 handful of games+summer training+preseason next year, it'll help.
Quote:
Well, they are protecting their asset, pretty understandable. MaxPac was going to be cleared last POs had we made it to the 2nd round if rumors were true. A lot of people were saying to bench him even if we did go through and he was ready. Same thing here.
I personally don't really care whether he goes or not.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Protest the Hero

If Markov had only gotten in 1 or 2 games before the end of the season I'd say let him play the Worlds, but now I don't want him to. No point in playing there. He can regain his game shape in training camp next season, that's what it's for.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:36 PM
SB164

30. Karlsson had two goals in his first 33 games, 17 in the last 39. Why? He stopped trying to slap it, choosing to get it through with wrist shots. He's incredibly deceptive, always keeping his head up and constantly aiming for different targets. Hrudey and PJ Stock couldn't believe Karlsson fooled Ryan Miller last week with a 25-foot wrister.

Take note PK, you've got a hell of a wrist shot.

SB164 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'd like to know who are the guys Friedman spoke to. RC has never coached in the NHL, so it's kind of useless to know that never happened in the AHL.
In the NHL, within a couple of months, we've seen this current coaching staff have these ''discussions'' with Campoli, Gomez and PK. Twice it was RL, once RC, but in the end they are the coaching staff. Doesn't seem all that uncommon with them.

Our PK has been doing great all year, nothing new. Whether it's 2 or 3 penalties, or 7-8-9, we take pride in killing penalties. It's the only thing we do better than others.
It has nothing to do with ''playing hard for RC''. That's BS.

Yes, our blueline will be better with a healthy Markov. Everybody knew this.
Even with a few steps behind, he is still better than most. With another 2 handful of games+summer training+preseason next year, it'll help.

Well, they are protecting their asset, pretty understandable. MaxPac was going to be cleared last POs had we made it to the 2nd round if rumors were true. A lot of people were saying to bench him even if we did go through and he was ready. Same thing here.
I personally don't really care whether he goes or not.
Exactly. I rarely find anything original said by Elliot.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
If Markov had only gotten in 1 or 2 games before the end of the season I'd say let him play the Worlds, but now I don't want him to. No point in playing there. He can regain his game shape in training camp next season, that's what it's for.
That depends how you run your camp.

I'm hoping our next coach will do a better job. We came into the season unprepared.
It's obviously difficult to keep one single team here when you play so many games in so little nights. But, I think putting veterans with youngsters that have no chances of making it is just a waste of time. I want us to use the preseason to find our trios for the season with our NHLers. I want them to practice the PP as well. I don't care about the guys that will go back to the juniors. Maybe a few of the younger ones that will get called up during the year can get tried with some vets a little bit, just to see what they can do, but otherwise, keep the NHLers together.
I feel the training camp has been as useless as can be for quite some time now.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:17 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

I kinda want Cunneyworth to stay as an assistant. Maybe get rid of the other assistants and get ones who can work a PP properly. I kinda like Cunneyworth, he's honest and defends his players and they seem to like him.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

You'd hope that the Campoli argument is NOT the sole reason why this guy wouldn't be back with us....Come on.

Oh and Markov HAS to play in the Worlds. If it breaks now, it would break later. We need to know. And he needs to have fun playing hockey. And he needs to play with Emelin so they'd build more chemistry.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 06:33 AM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I kinda want Cunneyworth to stay as an assistant. Maybe get rid of the other assistants and get ones who can work a PP properly. I kinda like Cunneyworth, he's honest and defends his players and they seem to like him.
If i was in his place, considering how i got treated, i would leave the organization as soon as the season ends, right after i took a **** in front of my office door. Knowing how classy he is, he wouldn't take it that far though

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

As much as you'd hope that professionnals are just that....professionnals...it is human nature to treat a guy like that when you know that he's just a part-time guy. Good job by Molson to make sure that Cunneyworth would have not a whole lot of power...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Markov hasn't really looked all that great since coming back. Not criticizing him at all, but I agree with Andrei that he's a step behind. Hopefully he improves over the summer but right now he just doesn't look close to the player he was.

That pass to MaxPac in his first game back though was amazing.
It's not a big surprise considering he's been away from high level competition for most of the last 2 years.

I am surprised they won't let him play in the Worlds, you'd think it would be great for him to get more high level games. I guess next year he starts camp with everybody else so he gets to get his timing back with everybody else instead of trying to catch up in February.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
30. Karlsson had two goals in his first 33 games, 17 in the last 39. Why? He stopped trying to slap it, choosing to get it through with wrist shots. He's incredibly deceptive, always keeping his head up and constantly aiming for different targets. Hrudey and PJ Stock couldn't believe Karlsson fooled Ryan Miller last week with a 25-foot wrister.

Take note PK, you've got a hell of a wrist shot.
Imagine how good PK can be if he learns some of the intricacies of the game and doesn't have to overpower goalies. I think Markov can really help him in that aspect.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
That depends how you run your camp.

I'm hoping our next coach will do a better job. We came into the season unprepared.
It's obviously difficult to keep one single team here when you play so many games in so little nights. But, I think putting veterans with youngsters that have no chances of making it is just a waste of time. I want us to use the preseason to find our trios for the season with our NHLers. I want them to practice the PP as well. I don't care about the guys that will go back to the juniors. Maybe a few of the younger ones that will get called up during the year can get tried with some vets a little bit, just to see what they can do, but otherwise, keep the NHLers together.
I feel the training camp has been as useless as can be for quite some time now.
I have no problem playing so many games, as long as you have Squad A that's most of your regulars and B is guys on the bubble and prospects and you alternate on back to back nights. Then the last 3 games you go with a 24-25 player roster and play mostly regulars(minus injuries).

Old
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You'd hope that the Campoli argument is NOT the sole reason why this guy wouldn't be back with us....Come on.

Oh and Markov HAS to play in the Worlds. If it breaks now, it would break later. We need to know. And he needs to have fun playing hockey. And he needs to play with Emelin so they'd build more chemistry.
I also think that Markov would benefit from the worlds and the IIHF rules would help him out also (I think that they can dress up to eight defencemen per game).

I don't think the Russian coach will be that dumb either and will be considerate of Markov's condition when managing his ice time. Hopefully, he'll give him easy minutes and matchups and a lot of PP time.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Burke the Legend

Campoli has been let go from like 4 teams in the past 4 years (including the habs...). The guy is definitely not a NHL starter at this point, he is just a known quantity that lucks into NHL jobs cuz GMs get desperate for a (supposedly) NHL capable bottom pairing or #7 dman.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:21 AM
MathMan

#22: Apparently it had to do with a transversal pass in the defensive zone. High-risk play, certainly, and probably something to avoid, but... at some point, you have to try something other than "chip it out" especially once the opponent wises up and systematically blocks that zone exit.

#23: The problem with Cunneyworth has never been work ethic or getting guys to play for him. The problem is that he's in over his head strategically. At no point this season did the players "give up" on anything, really. But at this point, Montreal's simplistic and highly predictable tactics are killing them.

#24: Markov is a fantastic player. He's in a weird spot right now -- you can tell he has elite skills, but the timing is off so he looks stupid sometimes. It'll come back.

#25: If I was the Montreal GM and he's invited, I'd send Markov to the WC so that he can get his timing back and so that I can see what I've got.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
#22: Apparently it had to do with a transversal pass in the defensive zone. High-risk play, certainly, and probably something to avoid, but... at some point, you have to try something other than "chip it out" especially once the opponent wises up and systematically blocks that zone exit.

#23: The problem with Cunneyworth has never been work ethic or getting guys to play for him. The problem is that he's in over his head strategically. At no point this season did the players "give up" on anything, really. But at this point, Montreal's simplistic and highly predictable tactics are killing them.

#24: Markov is a fantastic player. He's in a weird spot right now -- you can tell he has elite skills, but the timing is off so he looks stupid sometimes. It'll come back.

#25: If I was the Montreal GM and he's invited, I'd send Markov to the WC so that he can get his timing back and so that I can see what I've got.
#22 I think RC wants Campoli to play a safer game especially when he is with Kaberle, who is the more skilled guy, and he has still played a higher risk game.

I agree on #23, the Pp has gotten worse since he took over, he oversimilified it to "pass to the point and shoot away" without having much of a threat down low.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveTheKing View Post
If i was in his place, considering how i got treated, i would leave the organization as soon as the season ends, right after i took a **** in front of my office door. Knowing how classy he is, he wouldn't take it that far though
I've had enough of the ''RC got mistreated'' comment. The guy was given a NHL team, boohoo, poor guy, let me go cry for him...
Sure, it was about 30 games in, so what? It's called ''A Chance''. You could sympathize with him at the beginning, because you don't change things over night. He also didn't inherit a bottom place team, we were playing for .500 when he took over. He screwed up, big time. Case closed.
Organization was classless because they gave him a chance to run the most storied franchise in the NHL? Wow, if that's classless, then I wish people in this world were a lot more classless than they are.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

When I was watching the game on NHL center ice, they said that Campoli had told them he didn't think there would be a place for him with the Habs next year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:49 AM
blueinmtl

I'm stunned there is even an inkling that Campoli could be back next year with us.

His body of work has been one of the worst defensive performances for us in a long time. His contract is up. No way I want a guy that clueless anywhere near our stable of young d-men.

Even in the games where he plays alright he is still a comedy of errors in his own end. A lot of it is unforced with better options everywhere. Zero physical presence and zero defensive presence of mind. My only question is that RC hasn't been screaming at him on a nightly basis. Then again RC looks hopelessly lost tactically.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
I've had enough of the ''RC got mistreated'' comment. The guy was given a NHL team, boohoo, poor guy, let me go cry for him...
Sure, it was about 30 games in, so what? It's called ''A Chance''. You could sympathize with him at the beginning, because you don't change things over night. He also didn't inherit a bottom place team, we were playing for .500 when he took over. He screwed up, big time. Case closed.
Organization was classless because they gave him a chance to run the most storied franchise in the NHL? Wow, if that's classless, then I wish people in this world were a lot more classless than they are.
Disagree, yes he was given a chance to coach the team but within a couple of weeks he was turned into a lame duck and basically given no chance of coming back thanks to gauthier's and molson's comments. So yes the team showed little class in the way they treated him and worries more about appeasing certain french media and french sectors of Quebec.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Disagree, yes he was given a chance to coach the team but within a couple of weeks he was turned into a lame duck and basically given no chance of coming back thanks to gauthier's and molson's comments. So yes the team showed little class in the way they treated him and worries more about appeasing certain french media and french sectors of Quebec.
I didn't like the way Molson handled the language thing. There had to be a way he could tell the media(in a nice way) that winning is more important than language.

That being said Cunneyworth did get a great opportunity. There are thousands and thousands of hockey coaches and maybe 80-100 of those will get an NHL head coaching job in their lifetime, in that sense he is VERY lucky. He had things go against him, but I personally have not been super impressed with him from a technical standpoint. I like some things he has done(looking for a bigger, meaner lineup) but dressing 7 d-men and a poor PP worked against him.