HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

[WSH/COL] Varlamov for a 1st in '12, 2nd in '12 or '13

Old
03-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
With all the effort you're putting towards complaining about the trade, you could be building a time machine to go back and stop it or something...

Nice zinger. But false. I've spent about 5min total on this. Not near enough effort to build a time machine.

Mundus vult decipi.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
He did earn it.
Had he been more stout late in the Montreal series I'd agree and in all likelihood he'd still be on the team.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 05:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Had he been more stout late in the Montreal series I'd agree and in all likelihood he'd still be on the team.
easily forgotten is his play v montreal. he didnt give up a lot of goals, but nearly all of those he did were unscreened and from distance. clean shots he should have had. these goals almost always set the caps behind and created the conditions for montreal to hunker down and try to hold the lead.

varly was awful in game 7 v pittsburgh when the caps really needed the opposite.

varly certainly outdueled lundqvist under pressure and deserves credit for that, but there's more to the story than just his ups.

i really have not concluded anything about any of the three baby goalies except that i think neuvirth is better than many here are convinced he can be and that holtby is needs to grow up and figure out what kind of goalie he wants to be. varly forced and issue that wasnt necessary. i hope he is happy with the outcome.

the caps were going to have to give up one of the three and a 1st and a 2nd is a good return.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

It seems like it. But there was a clash between Varly and Boudreau that was really deep. For Varly to get no games against Tampa last playoffs was nuts.

I can't prove it but I strongly suspect that Varly being the golden boy #1 pick and given the easy path to the NHL ruffled Boudreau's feathers at the subconscious level. Boudreau as a player, we know, was "stuck" in the AHL year after year and had a grueling career riding the bus. BB was stubborn to a fault (Flash, T-Sloan, Varly, I'm pretty sure Nylander). He thought he could win with Sloan, with Flash, with Neuvy. He couldn't.

There are primadonnas but Varly wasn't like that at all. He was professional and mature as you could want. But anyway, that ship has sailed. If he is to be a top NHL goalie it won't be with the Caps. The search for an elite goalie continues.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:19 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
It seems like it. But there was a clash between Varly and Boudreau that was really deep. For Varly to get no games against Tampa last playoffs was nuts.

I can't prove it but I strongly suspect that Varly being the golden boy #1 pick and given the easy path to the NHL ruffled Boudreau's feathers at the subconscious level. Boudreau as a player, we know, was "stuck" in the AHL year after year and had a grueling career riding the bus. BB was stubborn to a fault (Flash, T-Sloan, Varly, I'm pretty sure Nylander). He thought he could win with Sloan, with Flash, with Neuvy. He couldn't.

There are primadonnas but Varly wasn't like that at all. He was professional and mature as you could want. But anyway, that ship has sailed. If he is to be a top NHL goalie it won't be with the Caps. The search for an elite goalie continues.
Bolded absolutely confuses me....

03-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Yea same here that makes no sense at all being that he said he wanted to be given the starting role without earning it.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:26 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
I can't believe some Caps fans are happy about this trade. The club traded a future franchise goalie who has seen it all at his age (regular season, playoff, international) and who succeeded at some degree everywhere.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:41 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
I can't believe some Caps fans are happy about this trade. The club traded a future franchise goalie who has seen it all at his age (regular season, playoff, international) and who succeeded at some degree everywhere.
Exactly what has he done up to this point to make you think he is a franchise goalie?

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You don't get it...Google translate acting up? Seriously, because it's clear he wanted out, so yes, we're happy we got something for a guy who wanted out. That he's very talented just makes it more frustrating that he forced his way out of town.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
Yea same here that makes no sense at all being that he said he wanted to be given the starting role without earning it.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Exactly what has he done up to this point to make you think he is a franchise goalie?
I said "future franchise goalie", didn't say he's already one.

He led his KHL team to the playoffs final at age of 20, then he came to the NHL and was brilliant in the playoffs playing as a rookie. Then he had his injuries, now he's back to his great form. All indicates that he has the potential to be a franchise goalie.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
I'm a draftnik so hate drafted prospects leaving but it was the right move 10 times out of 10. Looking at his body of work at the time around when he was trade and his absolutely unreasonable demands at the time (which IMHO did not show very much integrity per say).

Still though I believe it was a win/win trade for both Col and the Caps. Varly was heading back to the KHL and the caps get a 1st round pick and a 2nd.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:06 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

You ever date a girl who was just perfect, but the timing was off?

That's Varly. It's ok. Sometimes it happens.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:

He led his KHL team to the playoffs final at age of 20, then he came to the NHL and was brilliant in the playoffs playing as a rookie. Then he had his injuries, now he's back to his great form. All indicates that he has the potential to be a franchise goalie.

Assuming you haven't already, why don't you start a business with that talent of yours... your knowing the future thing you've got going...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 10:26 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Assuming you haven't already, why don't you start a business with that talent of yours... your knowing the future thing you've got going...

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
easily forgotten is his play v montreal. he didnt give up a lot of goals, but nearly all of those he did were unscreened and from distance. clean shots he should have had. these goals almost always set the caps behind and created the conditions for montreal to hunker down and try to hold the lead.

varly was awful in game 7 v pittsburgh when the caps really needed the opposite.

varly certainly outdueled lundqvist under pressure and deserves credit for that, but there's more to the story than just his ups.

i really have not concluded anything about any of the three baby goalies except that i think neuvirth is better than many here are convinced he can be and that holtby is needs to grow up and figure out what kind of goalie he wants to be. varly forced and issue that wasnt necessary. i hope he is happy with the outcome.

the caps were going to have to give up one of the three and a 1st and a 2nd is a good return.
He's clearly slitting his wrists making 2x what he would be here while playing for a playoff bound team that was his childhood favorite and a coach who doesn't treat him like trash. His recent play certainly reflects that.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:42 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
He's clearly slitting his wrists making 2x what he would be here while playing for a playoff bound team that was his childhood favorite and a coach who doesn't treat him like trash. His recent play certainly reflects that.
Wow, bitter...

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Wow, bitter...
Naw I'm thrilled that Boudreau forced out our future franchise goaltender so Neuvy would have more room to crap himself.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:13 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Naw I'm thrilled that Boudreau forced out our future franchise goaltender so Neuvy would have more room to crap himself.
How does Boudreau force him out by telling him he needs to earn his starting role? He forced himself out the day he decided that he deserved to be the starter regardless of his performance on the ice.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:34 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

I think Varly decided Washington wasn't for him sometime during that Tampa series last year. While Neu played well last year, I believe Varly (albeit between injuries) and Holtby both did as well.

Do the caps have a disproportionately high number of unhappy, exonerated, outcast, et. al. players, compared to other teams?

Yonkman Eminger Nylander Sjogren types?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:08 AM
CapsCast

Quote:
I will be very surprised if Varlamov is ever a franchise goaltender.

CapsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
I must have missed the details surrounding how BB forced out Varly. Can you fill me in?

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
txpd

Quote:

i think a case can be made that neuvirth's post season experience has been at least as successful as varly's.

he has the potential to be a franchise goalie, but so do both neuvirth and holtby.

varly didnt want to play for the capitals. had the caps not traded varly, where do you think he would be now?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think a case can be made that neuvirth's post season experience has been at least as successful as varly's.

he has the potential to be a franchise goalie, but so do both neuvirth and holtby.

varly didnt want to play for the capitals. had the caps not traded varly, where do you think he would be now?
As harsh as this might sound he could easily be dead considering the Lokomotiv tragedy.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
NeilYoung

Not sure why this is issue when the trade was announced most on here were expecting a high second round pick or something in that ball park.

Varly had and still has a ton of faults and his time to go came.

I love how he stays healthy for 70 games or so and everyone acts like his injury problems are behind him.

He's had major groin issues every year since he was 14, seriously think of that that's almost impossible. If you think those problems are gone you're very ignorant

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote