HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off day topic- Braun and his impending RFA status

Old
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Oh that's what you meant. I meant it as he is not as mobile as Burns/Boyle.
He's about Vlasic level skater. Average and excellent positionally.

It would be a significant upgrade over Murray.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 01:06 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksrule04 View Post
Demers on the other hand should be traded IMO. I don't see him value rising much higher than it is now. Package him at the draft or during the offseason to get Nash.
Why exactly? He's nearly two years younger than Braun, and has all the tools to be a good offensive defenseman. He showed a lot of promise by how well he played last season, and this season just seems like an off year (mix of playing LD, and it looks like he had a horrible off-season regiment). Hopefully, he doesn't take the Setoguchi route and actually matures into a well-trained athlete.
And you aren't going to get Nash with a Demers package, unless that package included one of Pavelski or Couture. Why would they even want him anyway? Their top-4 D is pretty set.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Sharksrule04

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Why exactly? He's nearly two years younger than Braun, and has all the tools to be a good offensive defenseman. He showed a lot of promise by how well he played last season, and this season just seems like an off year (mix of playing LD, and it looks like he had a horrible off-season regiment). Hopefully, he doesn't take the Setoguchi route and actually matures into a well-trained athlete.
And you aren't going to get Nash with a Demers package, unless that package included one of Pavelski or Couture. Why would they even want him anyway? Their top-4 D is pretty set.
Because he never really shows much in terms of being better than he is now. He is going to be a career 4-6 D-man. Nothing better. His offensive ability is solid but not breath taking, and he sucks defensively. Braun on the other hand keeps getting better and shows a skill set that could lead to him being a top 4 d-man. Age doesn't necessarily matter. Plenty of players plateau at a young age and I think Demers is one of them. He will never be as good offensively as Burns or Boyle and isn't good enough defensively to make him worth keeping IMO.

As for trading him to Columbus for Nash, I didn't mean him as the focal point, I meant including him in the package. Maybe Pavelski, Demers and a pick.

Sharksrule04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:52 PM
freddypuck

25 year old Braun has more trade potential than 23 year old Demers , so i would move Braun, he is another softy shark defensemen , on the other hand I see loads of potential in a younger prospect like Demers ....statistically Braun has not been good lately his plus/minus is on a decline...IMO

freddypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:57 PM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksrule04 View Post
Because he never really shows much in terms of being better than he is now. He is going to be a career 4-6 D-man. Nothing better. His offensive ability is solid but not breath taking, and he sucks defensively. Braun on the other hand keeps getting better and shows a skill set that could lead to him being a top 4 d-man. Age doesn't necessarily matter. Plenty of players plateau at a young age and I think Demers is one of them. He will never be as good offensively as Burns or Boyle and isn't good enough defensively to make him worth keeping IMO.
Your bias is showing. How can you even judge that? You simply don't know if Braun is going to continue to get better or if Demers is going to plateau. Not to mention you're completely ignoring the huge improvement in Demers' game going from the 09-10 season to the 10-11 season. To think a defenseman has plateaued at the ripe age of 23 is just ridiculous.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Chief Brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Likely will get a Demers type deal.

Although, funny you mention Vlasic, because I was thinking last night how Braun's development reminds me a lot of Pickle's early years.
Bruan is older than Vlasic.

Chief Brody is offline   Reply With Quote