HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#73 KINGS v SHARKS, 3/20/12 ... Kings Win 5th (5-2) move into top 8 !!!

Old
03-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Remember when people were penciling in Trevor Lewis as a healthy scratch for next years roster? I just don't see it, the kid is getting better everygame. He's an NHL player no doubt.
To be fair Lewis had done pretty much nothing in the NHL before these last few games. Now all of the sudden he looks like a legit NHL center. I think the Kings season as a whole is like one of those mall posters where you have to stare at it for a really long time to see what it is. It's like, oh, now I see Lewis, Penner and Stoll. Now I see Kopitar attacking the middle of the ice. Now I see Brown doing the little things he has to do when he's not scoring goals. I think it has more to do with Sutter behind the bench and the Carter trade, those 2 moves and the addition of Voynov to the lineup and the subtraction of Johnson who is not a sound NHL defenseman has really helped the Kings turn the corner. Now when I turn on the game I expect to see 3-4 goals and a King win, unbelievable turnaround.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Maximus

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Maximus
Kopitar

Ranger fan here from NJ areas but loving the tight race out west as every game is life and death which includes pretty much every King game.

Anyways, Kopitar and J Williams poolie owner as well and so I've watched your boys a ton this year on NHL Center Ice back. Is it me and I'm on an island here but does Kopitar not look quicker, faster than he has all year long in the past couple of games? Seriously, I've noticed he definitly is getting to pucks faster, he's firing shots on net and is looking like the Kopitar that I thought I drafted before season began. Now I don't know if it's my imagination or if maye he was hiding an injury or maybe even due to Carter and Richards starting to jell, his line is getting less checking against it providing him more room to do his thing.

I don't know and maybe its a combination of these things but whatever it is, a Kopitar playing the way he is right now, is IMO a Top 10 type overall player in the NHL and I would not be suprised if your Kings made it to the playoffs and if y'all get in, will be a very tough out once you get there.

Good luck rest of the way of fellas and let me get back to my own worries which I know are different than yours but they are worries nonethless as my boys have to figure out a way to hold off the en fuego Penguins....yikes!

Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:52 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
To be fair Lewis had done pretty much nothing in the NHL before these last few games. Now all of the sudden he looks like a legit NHL center. I think the Kings season as a whole is like one of those mall posters where you have to stare at it for a really long time to see what it is. It's like, oh, now I see Lewis, Penner and Stoll. Now I see Kopitar attacking the middle of the ice. Now I see Brown doing the little things he has to do when he's not scoring goals. I think it has more to do with Sutter behind the bench and the Carter trade, those 2 moves and the addition of Voynov to the lineup and the subtraction of Johnson who is not a sound NHL defenseman has really helped the Kings turn the corner. Now when I turn on the game I expect to see 3-4 goals and a King win, unbelievable turnaround.
I'd say Lewis has played like an NHL center since Sutter came to town. Lewis always had the hustle, and I think Sutter giving him confidence and using him properly has let us see what Lewis can do. Either way, I'm so happy to see him succeed. I've always had a soft spot for Lewie

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Ranger fan here from NJ areas but loving the tight race out west as every game is life and death which includes pretty much every King game.

Anyways, Kopitar and J Williams poolie owner as well and so I've watched your boys a ton this year on NHL Center Ice back. Is it me and I'm on an island here but does Kopitar not look quicker, faster than he has all year long in the past couple of games? Seriously, I've noticed he definitly is getting to pucks faster, he's firing shots on net and is looking like the Kopitar that I thought I drafted before season began. Now I don't know if it's my imagination or if maye he was hiding an injury or maybe even due to Carter and Richards starting to jell, his line is getting less checking against it providing him more room to do his thing.

I don't know and maybe its a combination of these things but whatever it is, a Kopitar playing the way he is right now, is IMO a Top 10 type overall player in the NHL and I would not be suprised if your Kings made it to the playoffs and if y'all get in, will be a very tough out once you get there.

Good luck rest of the way of fellas and let me get back to my own worries which I know are different than yours but they are worries nonethless as my boys have to figure out a way to hold off the en fuego Penguins....yikes!

Thanks for the well wishes. I don't know about other Kings fans, but this is the Kopitar we see in spurts. I hope he can continue to play this way. Right now he has a TON of confidence, which is why he seems to be faster, etc. When Brown got going a few games before Kopitar, I think it gave the Kings team a ton of confidence and showed what they needed to do to score. This is the Kings team we knew they could be at the start of the season.

I also think now that the Kings have 2 (and the last few games, 3) lines that score, the opponent isn't just matching up with Kopitar and shadowing him while he's out there. If you shut down the 1st line and Kopitar, you have to go up against the Richards line. Not fun when they all feel they can score when we're in the zone. Heck, even our 4th line is scoring/getting chances.

I think it all started with bringing up King and Nolan. It brought fresh blood onto the team who were young and had jump. The team was in a funk, and the rookies brought it out of them with their enthusiasm. Then Carter came to town and showed the Kings that if you pick your spots, but also shoot the puck at the net whatever you stick touches it, good things happen. I've never seen Kopi snipe like this for this many games. I'd say watching Carter do it has showed Kopi that it can be done.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

I think Lewis and penner are becoming hella close, the way they celebrate when penner scores Lewis literally jumps on penner and penner is smiling while crushing Lewis in his arms... Maybe he needed a good friend ? Both got confidence in eachother ? Did you guy notice their expressions after the recent 2 goals of penner

KingKopitar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Awesome:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=89

*from the post game thread on the Sharks board.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:10 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Awesome:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1&postcount=89

*from the post game thread on the Sharks board.
I was going to post this as well, it's genius.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Kings coach Darryl Sutter delivered the line of the night when he said of Penner that "He looked like Mark Messier."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011021096

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Ron
Kings Fan Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
I think Lewis and penner are becoming hella close, the way they celebrate when penner scores Lewis literally jumps on penner and penner is smiling while crushing Lewis in his arms... Maybe he needed a good friend ? Both got confidence in eachother ? Did you guy notice their expressions after the recent 2 goals of penner
Even before the last couple of games the third line has been clicking very well, even without scoring goals.

They have kept the puck in the offensive zone for large periods of time, and well, if you do that, the other team has a hard time scoring.

I think the chemistry fits perfectly for that third line. Even Stoll is playing better. And as Nick said on the postgame last night, the third line players seem to be playing better because the pressure is NOT on them to score...so what have they done lately? You got it.

And the fourth line is just ****ing nails. The way they kept the puck in the offensive zone in the second period last night was off the charts.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
With the next back-to-back being next week against Edmonton on Friday and Minnesota on Saturday, which game should Bernier get?

I would play Quick on Friday and Bernier on Saturday.

Edmonton again in LA on Monday. This would give Quick both Edmonton games and an extra day off with the travel back to LA.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
With the next back-to-back being next week against Edmonton on Friday and Minnesota on Saturday, which game should Bernier get?

I would play Quick on Friday and Bernier on Saturday.

Edmonton again in LA on Monday. This would give Quick both Edmonton games and an extra day off with the travel back to LA.
I think Edmonton has the better offense so I would agree that it should be Quick in net against them.
I hope we can get 4 out of 6 points in our next three games. I think 4 woulld be considered a huge win looking at the teams we are against.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post

Also, keep in mind Kopi had a very serious ankle injury at the end of last year. I had the exact same injury (torn ligaments plus a fracture), and while I was back on the ice in 9 months, I didn't feel explosive for 12-15 months after the injury. Obviously Kopi is a better athlete and has better resources to heal and get back in shape, but fact of the matter is he had a very serious injury. It's been 12 months +/- a week since the injury.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
To be fair, when Kopitar went down last year and Lewis centered a line of Brown and Smyth for about 6 games he looked fantastic.

but yea that's only like 6 games of a whole career heh.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:19 PM
The Butcher
**** your team

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller1 View Post
Also, keep in mind Kopi had a very serious ankle injury at the end of last year. I had the exact same injury (torn ligaments plus a fracture), and while I was back on the ice in 9 months, I didn't feel explosive for 12-15 months after the injury. Obviously Kopi is a better athlete and has better resources to heal and get back in shape, but fact of the matter is he had a very serious injury. It's been 12 months +/- a week since the injury.
While Kopi has better resources, doctors, etc. I also think the normal bumps and bruises throughout an 82 game NHL season could extend the time table a bit also.

But I think what you are saying might have some validity to it.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
While Kopi has better resources, doctors, etc. I also think the normal bumps and bruises throughout an 82 game NHL season could extend the time table a bit also.

But I think what you are saying might have some validity to it.
The fact that on NHL 36 with Richards Kopi was icing that ankle on the bed in the trainer's room tells me it still bothers him.
He has been unreal this year and will be even better next.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I think Edmonton has the better offense so I would agree that it should be Quick in net against them.
I hope we can get 4 out of 6 points in our next three games. I think 4 woulld be considered a huge win looking at the teams we are against.
Yep, that's how I'd go with it. I feel like Bernier plays well against Minny, too. Is my memory serving me right?

Old
03-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Yep, that's how I'd go with it. I feel like Bernier plays well against Minny, too. Is my memory serving me right?
I think he was in net when we lost 1-0 in a SO. Had to feel for the guy. Hacket stood on his head is what I remember from that one.

Old
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
KopitarstheKing
Overrated

nice effort by Kopi Richards and everyone good thing we won that game was a must win

KopitarstheKing is offline   Reply With Quote