HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Schenn or Couturier ??

Old
03-19-2012, 12:45 PM
DrHamburg

vCash: 500
Couturier is so sound defensively right now. I would say right now he is Jordan Staal but a worse skater and obviously not as strong offensively but he can certainly get there. He is so strong defensively right now at the age of what 18-19? Couturier might be our best defensive forward right now which is incredible. He has some rookie mistakes needs to get a bit stronger but I would stay in 2 years (maybe even next year) he will be the Flyers Jordan Staal.

I think Schenn is a little harder to peg right now. A lot of people were saying he is the next mike richards and that maybe so (without the intangibles). I think most are right saying he is going to be a solid 2 way player probably around 50-60 points a season.

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Cooter has been great. He struggled for around 10 games in the middle of the season but seems back on track.

Schenn is finding it tough coming back from so many injuries in a short space of time. He's a solid player, makes great defensive plays and can play a physical game.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 02:52 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Couturier>>>>Schenn.

Schenn's been stepping up, but Couturier is amazing. Wow, he's even the same height as Staal.... Weird. I think Couturier can put up more points than Staal though.

brucewaynegretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 03:04 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

if this thread is asking which i would prefer..

it's couturier.

he's got a pretty good lock on being at the very least a very capable shut down center. He has the potential to be a 60-70 player as well. Schenn has the potential to be a better offensive player, but he's more of an unknown in terms of his ability to reach that potential. He's had a poor season with injuries, so i'd like to give him a full healthy shot to show us what he can do before i start calling him out on being a bust.

they both can become great players, but couturier is probably the easier of the two to predict. so right now, couturier is the more valuable asset to this team. With giroux our #1 center and franchise player with elite offensive production, Couturier is our futurer #2 shutdown center with, perhaps, 60-70 point upside.

IMO Giroux and Couturier will be the staple 1,2 centers on this team for a long time. Schenn is a little bit harder to judge what his place on this team is right now and in the future.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 06:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Love Couturier's game. He is the total package. People seem to think he's going to top out at 60 to 70 points, but if he gets to play with good wingers, there's no reason to believe he can't hit 85 - 90 points. And to think, he's just 19 and he hasn't even grown into his body. That's what's scary. Once he hits the 225 pound mark, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with. Watching Couturier play, he reminds me so much of Ronnie Francis. Just a smart player.

As for Schenn, his game seems to be coming around. It's still inconsistent right now, but that can be expected when you consider he's missed a big chunk of time due to injury and concussion. The jury is still out on him. I think he's a lot like Mike Fisher, but with a better offensive game. However, he needs to start producing soon. People talk about how Nazem Kadri is going to bust, but Kadri has actually produced better numbers in less games than Schenn has produced so far (I'm talking total numbers: Kadri has played 49 games and produced 18 points, Schenn has played 53 and has produced only 13 points).

Anyways, it's a good situation to have in Philadelphia. Yes, Giroux will be top dog, but the nice thing is that once Couturier and Schenn hit their stride, all three can be interchanged amongst lines if need be and it will drive the opposition nuts because they won't know who to focus on.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Mgkibbles

Schenn hasn't impressed me. His skill set is lackluster for such a highly touted player, and his hockey sense is ok, but not enough to make up the difference the way Mike Richards could. I think Schenn will still be a solid player, but Couturier appears to be a pure stud in the making, could even give Giroux a run for #1 center in a few years.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:25 PM
zrep

thanks a lot for all your answers !!!

zrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:44 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Giroux
Schenn
Couts
Talbot

That is our future, and the future looks good.
Also, having watched Schenn on the Wheat Kings for the majority of his junior career , It seems that in order for him to be at his best, he needs the top line minutes. Time and again ive seen him, calvert (CLB) and Glennie (Dal - bet they wish they had a mulligan) hem opposing teams in their own zones, turn pucks over, backcheck like demons, score and with schenn the occasional fight.
We've only scratched the surface with this guy, see world juniors. Led Canada in plus/minus, goals and points. His 18 points tie the record for most ever by a member of Team Canada in the tournament. He scored eight goals and was plus-10 in seven games.
And then there is Giroux and Couturier...

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2012, 12:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

I suspect Schenn's going to end up being the more Jordan Staal-esque player despite being smaller.

I'm continuing with my Eric Staal comparison for Couturier.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:18 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Flyers thrilled with rookie Couturier's development

Quote:
Couturier, always tough on the puck and very reliable in his own end during his junior-hockey time, is ranked among the top 10 on the Flyers in hits (10th, 73), takeaways (second, 38), face-off wins (third, 305), face-offs taken (third, 648), plus/minus rating (second, plus-17) and shooting percentage (eighth, 12.1 percent). He's certainly learned to make the most of his 13:41 of ice time each game, including 2:43 on the penalty kill -- second among the team's forwards.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...medium=twitter

Everyone thinks this rookie is going to be a great two way player i think he is going to be better then that give him a year or two of learning and to bulk his frame up i think he has the tools to be a threat for the scoring title. When he starts playing with some good wingers watch out.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
Couturier>>>>Schenn.

Schenn's been stepping up, but Couturier is amazing. Wow, he's even the same height as Staal.... Weird. I think Couturier can put up more points than Staal though.
I am gonna go look at their offensive numbers in juniors.

EDIT: Staal's most productive year in juniors, offensively at least, was 68 points in 68 games. Not too shabby, but hopefully Couturier's 90 something points (I know, I know, he also did that with mono, ebola, and half a leg) is indicative of greater NHL offensive potential. That said, if he peaks at Jordan Staal, I would be very happy with that. Jordan Staal is a damn fine player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I suspect Schenn's going to end up being the more Jordan Staal-esque player despite being smaller.

I'm continuing with my Eric Staal comparison for Couturier.
Eric Staal came into the league and put up 100 points. I think that's an optimistic comparison.

I think Schenn is one of those guys who is going to succeed in the NHL on decent skill and outstanding work rate. His WJC performance was impressive, but not something you could reliably forecast his NHL potential on (which I think is what has happened to him). He worked like hell to use what was a real (but not massive) talent gap between him and the rest of the juniors in that tourney, to get massive production.

The problem is that everyone in the NHL is very talented, and everyone works. I think he's looking a lot like a second or third line tweener right now. It's so hard to gauge with his concussion though. Look at how long it took Bergeron and Crosby to get back into form. Hopefully it's just that, and he does end up being the force everyone anticipated.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:17 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Eric Staal came into the league and put up 100 points. I think that's an optimistic comparison.
He did not.

He dropped 31 points in 81 games (0.38 PPG) as an 18-year-old fresh off the draft playing limited minutes in a two-way role.

Then there was a lockout, and then the year of inflated offense where he dropped 100.

Sean Couturier has dropped 24 points in 68 games (0.35 PPG) as an 18-year-old fressh off the draft playing limited minutes in a two-way role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think Schenn is one of those guys who is going to succeed in the NHL on decent skill and outstanding work rate. His WJC performance was impressive, but not something you could reliably forecast his NHL potential on (which I think is what has happened to him). He worked like hell to use what was a real (but not massive) talent gap between him and the rest of the juniors in that tourney, to get massive production.

The problem is that everyone in the NHL is very talented, and everyone works. I think he's looking a lot like a second or third line tweener right now. It's so hard to gauge with his concussion though. Look at how long it took Bergeron and Crosby to get back into form. Hopefully it's just that, and he does end up being the force everyone anticipated.
He'll be alright. His physicality and effort will assure that his skill is not wasted. That's the difference between Schenn and Kadri.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
He did not.

He dropped 31 points in 81 games (0.38 PPG) as an 18-year-old fresh off the draft playing limited minutes in a two-way role.

Then there was a lockout, and then the year of inflated offense where he dropped 100.

Sean Couturier has dropped 24 points in 68 games (0.35 PPG) as an 18-year-old fresh off the draft playing limited minutes in a two-way role.
You're correct, I remembered incorrectly. When I thought back to it that just felt like his rookie year to me. Maybe due to the lock out. I still think that may be a bit optimistic because I think Staal is and was a better athlete than Couturier, which could hold Couturier from reaching Staal's level (but there are a lot of reasons why that doesn't have to remain true). I hope you're right about him though, of course.

Quote:
He'll be alright. His physicality and effort will assure that his skill is not wasted. That's the difference between Schenn and Kadri.
I agree. To put it simply, I feel like he exploited his skill advantage to it's absolute maximum at the junior level to get the production he did. At the NHL level I just don't think that outstanding production is going to carry over, I do think his work rate on the ice is going to earn him a spot as a very solid producer on an NHL roster though.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:59 AM
BernieParent

Right now, there's no comparison between Couturier and Schen regarding their on-ice contribution. Couturier has been such a pleasant surprise all season. Schen hasn't really found his stride, but I think we've been blessed with so many rookies and other young players stepping up that this makes Schen stand out in a negative way.

Patience with Schen should prove to be well invested.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote