HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles Reportedly to Begin Negotiations With Nabokov

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
  #326
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Ummmm, because we wouldn't have been getting rid of an unwanted player contract in the process, which we did by moving Hunter.
my point was that we essentially netted a 3 million pickup (i forget the exact number..might have been 2 million)...we could have used that money much more wisely

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
  #327
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
If Charles mails this off season in like last one I think Islander Nation will finally be pissed off enough to start getting ugly.
In the mailbag, Compton mentioned that we'll see additions made one way or the other because they HAVE to be made in order to meet the cap.

Hmm?

Of course, since we dunno if everything will be put on pause due to upcoming CBA discussions, I wouldn't be surprised if Snowang kind of just put things on pause a bit - although I do expect them to make a hard, hard push to retain Nabby and PAP.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
  #328
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
my point was that we essentially netted a 3 million pickup (i forget the exact number..might have been 2 million)...we could have used that money much more wisely
Yes, we could have.

I think he felt he was hitting four birds with one stone:
A) Adding leadership
B) Adding a 3rd liner who could still get 30 points
C) Trading a two year contract for a player he could no longer use for a one year contract for one he prolly could
D) Reaching the cap floor

At the end of the day, the move did not help our on-ice success.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:24 PM
  #329
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I think because Frans was drafted by the Isles and in the organization for several yrs, he had deep ties to the franchise,a loyalty to the franchise.

I doubt Nabokov or Parenteau feel such loyalty to the organization.
I'm hoping that because there won't be a lot of teams looking for a #1 goale and the Isles will be able to offer Nabokov 2 yrs,that he'll sign an extension.

I think it's extremely unlikely Parenteau returns Some team will pay him way too much $ this summer.

I'm not impressed by Snow's trade deadline moves...
Feel the same away about Nielsen, Nabby and PAP and those dynamics you mention.

Nabby is the more likely signing, but I still think it's gonna be hard.

I believe he'd like to know if a winner can offer him something he likes, but we won't know until the UFA period comes.

PAP is as good as gone in my book. I've enjoyed his play this year, but he has far too much to gain by going the UFA market route.

Still feel the deadline could have been made good use of to do something for this team both now and in the future.

Say the following could have been done. Would Isles fans have been disappointed?

- PAP to CHI for 3rd, Marcus Kruger, Ben Smith
- Nabby to TOR for 4th, Holzer, D'Amigo
- Eaton to PHO for 4th, Goncharov
- Jurcina to BOS for 4th, Bartkowski

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
  #330
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
In the mailbag, Compton mentioned that we'll see additions made one way or the other because they HAVE to be made in order to meet the cap.

Hmm?

Of course, since we dunno if everything will be put on pause due to upcoming CBA discussions, I wouldn't be surprised if Snowang kind of just put things on pause a bit - although I do expect them to make a hard, hard push to retain Nabby and PAP.
That might be where he does it. Offer PAP a big contract, offer Nabby a big contract (this last one I DO expect, 199.999%). But in the end, the floor should still be out of reach.

BTW, Brian Compton's completely unwarranted glass half full analysis of a drought situation aside, you can expect a strong chance we resign one or more of Eaton, Jurcina, etc. You can also expect that if we don't, other guys, but on the same skill level, with different faces and names will fill in the holes.

Compton... I have a very low opinion of Mr. Compton. When push comes to shove he nestles down into the excuse making, talking about "Well they will do XXX because they have to do XXX," but right after the Isles don't, nothing. Silence. Instead he waits 3 to 6 months to look back in time to then demurely razz the Islander Org. when no one really remembers how he was personally assuring everyone back when it mattered in Islander land that this or that would happen. Did you hear Botta's podcast today? The same thing went down again. Sure, NOW he says Garth should have done this or that, but then what happens next? He says it's going to change this time!? Really Brian?

"Oh, this year things will be different because he has to spend to fill in the short fall" can not be what he really thinks. No, logic would say that good UFAs all know that Wang will not add the amount of depth the club requires to be playoff contenders, and thus, we will get stuck with C level additions, walk ons, and winners of the carnival "shoot the puck into the outhouse" freak contest because no one good will want to come here. Brian is not a mental patient. He sees what is going on. That's why I find his carefully worded half chides, half excuses wrapped in a grinning goofball "Everything will be ok Islander fans" facade vomit inducing.

You watch his shtick next time and tell me I am not dead on 100% correct about his act. He will throw in, lightly, some things the org did wrong (kind of like saying the Chicago fire was an oversight), then follow it up with tapioca pudding assurances that "But they have to do it right THIS time, by golly, hur dur."

EDIT: And add Botta to the Islander Propaganda team, talking about someone who SHOULD know better but who still sells us Islander Kool Aid:
Quote:
Via Twitter: Nothing wrong with Garth doing little today. Needs to get offseason right after wreck last summer. I believe he will.
Et Tu Chris?


Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 03-01-2012 at 12:05 AM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:04 PM
  #331
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
No great offers? But there were surely offers that would help this team in the future much more than him playing 20 some games and then walking.
Why does Nabokov waive his NTC for that and leave a situation he likes? He and his agent already said Nabokov didn't want a trade from the Islanders. They said it again at the deadline. Why is everyone ignoring that and saying that Snow should have traded a guy who already said he did not want a trade? Look at things from Nabokovs POV: He is having a good season here and he will have a nice long off season to work out a new contract. He doesn't necessarily help his situation by moving when he doesn't want to move and if he goes somewhere and doesn't do as well he can even hurt his value.

The other thing is how Islanders fans are getting so mad they think Nabokov will leave for nothing. Well you got him for nothing remember so who really cares?

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 09:29 PM
  #332
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Why does Nabokov waive his NTC for that and leave a situation he likes? He and his agent already said Nabokov didn't want a trade from the Islanders. They said it again at the deadline. Why is everyone ignoring that and saying that Snow should have traded a guy who already said he did not want a trade? Look at things from Nabokovs POV: He is having a good season here and he will have a nice long off season to work out a new contract. He doesn't necessarily help his situation by moving when he doesn't want to move and if he goes somewhere and doesn't do as well he can even hurt his value.

The other thing is how Islanders fans are getting so mad they think Nabokov will leave for nothing. Well you got him for nothing remember so who really cares?
no offense, but that is terrible rationale....we have him and should make the most out of his worth, whether that be resigning him or trading him at the deadline

we got moulson off of waivers too....should we have traded him at the deadline before his contract was signed for a 4th round pick?

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 11:12 PM
  #333
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
no offense, but that is terrible rationale....we have him and should make the most out of his worth, whether that be resigning him or trading him at the deadline

we got moulson off of waivers too....should we have traded him at the deadline before his contract was signed for a 4th round pick?
That isn't rationale, it's just true. The whole point is that the Islanders were not free to trade Nabokov to anybody for anything, so how does it make any sense to complain about the Islanders not doing something they could not do? They couldn't possibly "make the most out of him" all they can do is either re-sign him or watch him walk away those are their only 2 choices.

And I don't know where you got the Moulson waivers thing from but that didn't happen.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:54 AM
  #334
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Why does Nabokov waive his NTC for that and leave a situation he likes? He and his agent already said Nabokov didn't want a trade from the Islanders. They said it again at the deadline. Why is everyone ignoring that and saying that Snow should have traded a guy who already said he did not want a trade?
Because you can't take anything/everything written in the press at face value.

Quote:
The other thing is how Islanders fans are getting so mad they think Nabokov will leave for nothing. Well you got him for nothing remember so who really cares?
Because getting an asset off of waiver wires doesn't mean you have to give it away again.

A GM should always be looking to maximize or shifting an asset. That would be an ideal required of that job description.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:56 AM
  #335
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
we got moulson off of waivers too....should we have traded him at the deadline before his contract was signed for a 4th round pick?
Uhhh, yep, Moulson was signed as a UFA.

Are you thinking of Grabner, even if the contract you're referring to doesn't apply?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:28 AM
  #336
blitzkriegs
Registered User
 
blitzkriegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Beach & Mtn & Island
Posts: 8,786
vCash: 500
How are those negotiations coming Garth?

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 11:36 AM
  #337
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
How are those negotiations coming Garth?
I smell a June 29th trade for a 3rd round pick.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 07:31 PM
  #338
Hockify
Registered User
 
Hockify's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Because you can't take anything/everything written in the press at face value.
You think it makes more sense to think that a player and his agent said over and over that they do not want to move because they secretly want to move. If Nabokov wanted to go to another team he would be on some other team right now. For the exact reason you say, Snow wouldn't keep him where he doesn't want to be and get nothing for him if he wanted out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Because getting an asset off of waiver wires doesn't mean you have to give it away again.

A GM should always be looking to maximize or shifting an asset. That would be an ideal required of that job description.
The Islanders weren't in the position to give him away or not, the only one who could decide if Nabokov moved or not is Nabokov.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 08:34 AM
  #339
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
You think it makes more sense to think that a player and his agent said over and over that they do not want to move because they secretly want to move. If Nabokov wanted to go to another team he would be on some other team right now. For the exact reason you say, Snow wouldn't keep him where he doesn't want to be and get nothing for him if he wanted out.
Again, one shouldn't take everything one reads in the press at face value - especially not what is being said when it comes to player negotiations. Everybody uses the press to help suss out or establish a position in the negotiation process.

Who knows for certain how much speculation and statements are spot on or to what end.

For me, it was FAR TOO FISHY that an article on Nabby looking to resign came out a week before the trade deadline. Seemed more like a typical use-da-media ploy in increase the guy's value.

Now, this being said, I agree that if Nabby goes to Snow and emphatically requests being traded at the deadline, then chances are that Snow would usually look to accomodate him. However, after how things went down with Nabby not reporting last season, the last thing I feel Nabby and his agent felt was appropriate was looking to demand a move now - or not.

Much more likely was that the agent and Snow discussed a contract extension and ballpark numbers and that Nabby's attitude was that if he and Snow wouldn't be in for business with that knowledge, then he'd have been A OK with a move to a number of playoff-bound teams, cost what it may.

Rest assured, he's gonna get a nice fair to above fair contract this summer, one way or the other.

Dunno why people take these articles - be they local or national - with more than a grain of salt. Nothing in them is written in stone, much less to be seen as the end all, say all.

Quote:
The Islanders weren't in the position to give him away or not, the only one who could decide if Nabokov moved or not is Nabokov.
In that he waived an NTC... Maybe you can write his agent and ask if that would have been an issue?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
  #340
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
I'll run around the street naked if he gets re-signed.



(possible adult content, I dunno....it's blurred, so mods have at it)

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.