HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Friedman's thoughts on the Habs

Old
03-21-2012, 10:58 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I didn't like the way Molson handled the language thing. There had to be a way he could tell the media(in a nice way) that winning is more important than language.

That being said Cunneyworth did get a great opportunity. There are thousands and thousands of hockey coaches and maybe 80-100 of those will get an NHL head coaching job in their lifetime, in that sense he is VERY lucky. He had things go against him, but I personally have not been super impressed with him from a technical standpoint. I like some things he has done(looking for a bigger, meaner lineup) but dressing 7 d-men and a poor PP worked against him.
Let's face it dressing 7 dmen is a tradition in Montreal, he is not the first to do it.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Markov hasn't really looked all that great since coming back. Not criticizing him at all, but I agree with Andrei that he's a step behind. Hopefully he improves over the summer but right now he just doesn't look close to the player he was.

That pass to MaxPac in his first game back though was amazing.
Markov has actually looked a lot better than I expected, considering he missed basically two years I really expected him to look completely out of place.

He's a step behind right now but he still looks like he belongs in the NHL which is very good news. In fact even right now he's probably better than Kaberle and Campoli defensively.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Teufelsdreck

Randy Cunneyworth may not be up to coaching an NHL team in such a pressure cooker situation but he did a creditable job in the circumstances. At least the players weren't in revolt against him, as they seemed to be against Guy Carbonneau, who lost control of them in his second season. It was obvious from Day 1 that RC would be replaced by a bilingual coach. After all, this is Montréal, and the atmosphere is reminiscent of an arena in which a partisan crowd agitated by the media votes thumbs up or down on a gladiator's life.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 03-21-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: eliminate words
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Randy Cunneyworth may not be up to coaching an NHL team in such a pressure cooker situation but he did a creditable job in the circumstances.
Only if by "creditable" one really means "the worst we've seen in a long while".

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Randy Cunneyworth may not be up to coaching an NHL team in such a pressure cooker situation but he did a creditable job in the circumstances. At least the players weren't in revolt against him, as they seemed to be against Guy Carbonneau, who lost control of them in his second season. It was obvious from Day 1 that RC would be replaced by a bilingual coach. After all, this is Montréal, and the atmosphere is reminiscent of an arena in which a partisan crowd agitated by the media votes thumbs up or down on a gladiator's life.
yup.

I won't be shocked at all to see him get another head coaching job in the near future.

Some people really fail to grasp just how dismal a situation he was thrust into. Dealing with ego's & managing the "human" side of an NHL locker room is one of the most difficult aspects of being a head coach, & thanks to PG/Molson, RC stepped into his first taste of being an NHL bench boss with his legs completely cut out from under him.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:15 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post

He's a step behind right now but he still looks like he belongs in the NHL which is very good news. In fact even right now he's probably better than Kaberle and Campoli defensively.
Probably? I'd say definitely

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Markov has actually looked a lot better than I expected, considering he missed basically two years I really expected him to look completely out of place.

Campoli and Markov do not belong together in any reference........Campoli's brain is in worse condition than Markov's knee.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Craig71

Chris Campoli is to hockey what Jackie Chan is to acting.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Markov is one step behind, but he's still so poised with the puck and his decision making is getting better game after game. His amazing passes haven't gone away.

Edit: Anyone remember this sequence? Campoli is pure comedy.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Good job by Molson to make sure that Cunneyworth would have not a whole lot of power...
I still cannot get over how pathetic that entire situation was handled.

It seriously makes you wonder what has been going through Cunneyworth's head for the past few months.

03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Markov is one step behind, but he's still so poised with the puck and his decision making is getting better game after game. His amazing passes haven't gone away.
I would rather have Markov on one leg than Chris Campoli on three.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
#22 I think RC wants Campoli to play a safer game especially when he is with Kaberle, who is the more skilled guy, and he has still played a higher risk game.
RC wants everybody to play a safer game and it's overly annoying. His system is pathetic and he won't coach in the NHL again unless he adapts, which he has failed to do so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Disagree, yes he was given a chance to coach the team but within a couple of weeks he was turned into a lame duck and basically given no chance of coming back thanks to gauthier's and molson's comments. So yes the team showed little class in the way they treated him and worries more about appeasing certain french media and french sectors of Quebec.
I think Molson and Gauthier's comments were overblown. They said RC is currently the interim coach, they apologized if anybody was offended, also added that the french culture is important and will be respected when they reevaluate the situation next summer and choose the head coach.

Now people just assumed this meant ''Bye bye RC'', but as they also previously mentioned, languages are made to be learned, so what if RC did learn it as he mentioned he would?
RC will be let go because he's done a putrid job. The media did what they do best and speculated after their own interpretation on the matter/speech.

I'm sorry, but RC is not a victim. He's a man that had a chance, and he failed.
I don't even care if management came out and flat out said ''RC will not be our coach next year'', it's irrelevant because for the next 50ish games, he was the coach. Had he proven himself, he could have made management reconsider, and at the very least, he would have impressed other teams. Instead, he's been horrible.

Quote:
Let's face it dressing 7 dmen is a tradition in Montreal, he is not the first to do it.
That just reflects our players/teams that we've had over the years. We always started the year with an abundance of Dmen.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Dandoullion counted as one dman.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I still cannot get over how pathetic that entire situation was handled.

It seriously makes you wonder what has been going through Cunneyworth's head for the past few months.
Well, I can tell you, what SHOULD have been going through his mind is ''I'll make myself indispensable to this team'', but clearly, he failed to do that.

I mean, let's not exaggerate here, it's not like RC has a bunch of players that simply don't give a crap. If you've watched the games, then you know the players he has still play their heart out. They all play hard. RC just failed because of the poor coaching decisions he's made and his lack of system knowledge.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Dandoullion counted as one dman.
Oh man! I had forgotten about Dandouillon! That is classic. the two headed monster!

Camperly? Kaboli?

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well, I can tell you, what SHOULD have been going through his mind is ''I'll make myself indispensable to this team'', but clearly, he failed to do that.

I mean, let's not exaggerate here, it's not like RC has a bunch of players that simply don't give a crap. If you've watched the games, then you know the players he has still play their heart out. They all play hard. RC just failed because of the poor coaching decisions he's made and his lack of system knowledge.
Oh, I'm not defending or saying anything about the guys coaching skills. I was just stating that I think the situation has been handled poorly by both Gauthier and Molson.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
RC wants everybody to play a safer game and it's overly annoying. His system is pathetic and he won't coach in the NHL again unless he adapts, which he has failed to do so far.

I think Molson and Gauthier's comments were overblown. They said RC is currently the interim coach, they apologized if anybody was offended, also added that the french culture is important and will be respected when they reevaluate the situation next summer and choose the head coach.

Now people just assumed this meant ''Bye bye RC'', but as they also previously mentioned, languages are made to be learned, so what if RC did learn it as he mentioned he would?
RC will be let go because he's done a putrid job. The media did what they do best and speculated after their own interpretation on the matter/speech.

I'm sorry, but RC is not a victim. He's a man that had a chance, and he failed.
I don't even care if management came out and flat out said ''RC will not be our coach next year'', it's irrelevant because for the next 50ish games, he was the coach. Had he proven himself, he could have made management reconsider, and at the very least, he would have impressed other teams. Instead, he's been horrible.

That just reflects our players/teams that we've had over the years. We always started the year with an abundance of Dmen.
Quite the vendetta you have going here with RC.... the problem is that you won't acknowledge the good things he has done, measure it against where he has fallen short and then come up with conclusion.

It's cheap, opportunistic bashing... like we often see, and not just with RC.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 01:57 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Quite the vendetta you have going here with RC.... the problem is that you won't acknowledge the good things he has done
Such as?

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:39 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
Anybody have a clip of cunneyworth yelling at Campoli? I missed it.
What happened to cause all of this? I missed the last 4 games, was down in Jamaica...can anyone shed some light for me?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:45 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Such as?

As if anyone on here knows a thing about coaching an nhl team.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Quite the vendetta you have going here with RC.... the problem is that you won't acknowledge the good things he has done, measure it against where he has fallen short and then come up with conclusion.

It's cheap, opportunistic bashing... like we often see, and not just with RC.
I'm not a cheap opportunistic basher, so I don't see why I'd start being one now.
I also don't have a vendetta against RC, I think he's done a horrible job and I've brought forth the many reasons why in various threads.

As MM just said, what are the good things he's done really?

Old
03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
yup.

I won't be shocked at all to see him get another head coaching job in the near future.

Some people really fail to grasp just how dismal a situation he was thrust into. Dealing with ego's & managing the "human" side of an NHL locker room is one of the most difficult aspects of being a head coach, & thanks to PG/Molson, RC stepped into his first taste of being an NHL bench boss with his legs completely cut out from under him.
The problem is LOFT. Some people are caught in the notion that the team is only a line combination or a timeout away from winning every game, but the situation is dire from a talent point of view. That's why I don't agonize over the coaching situation, that position becomes more critical only after the more important things are addressed.

First one being replacing the guy who needs to replace the talent that needs to be coached.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I didn't like the way Molson handled the language thing. There had to be a way he could tell the media(in a nice way) that winning is more important than language.

That being said Cunneyworth did get a great opportunity. There are thousands and thousands of hockey coaches and maybe 80-100 of those will get an NHL head coaching job in their lifetime, in that sense he is VERY lucky. He had things go against him, but I personally have not been super impressed with him from a technical standpoint. I like some things he has done(looking for a bigger, meaner lineup) but dressing 7 d-men and a poor PP worked against him.
You are not going to appease the mass by saying that winning is more important than language. Language IS important and people believe you can also win in the process. Now, Molson didn't have to say what he said the way he said it. Should have just go with "We needed to make a change, we believed that it was preferable to stay within the organization and go with the guy that knew the players the most. So let's concentrate on this season and take it one step at a time. Now go on his tirade about he NEEDS to speak french and all even if we know that's how it's going to be. Sometimes, less is more.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Estimated_Prophet

The Canadiens need a private owner like Gillette to run this team. Molson panders to the masses due to the fact that they are trying to promote their product. It was because of Gillette's ownership that Gainey was able to lash out at the "fans" who were abusing Brisebois.

The xenophobic media and fanbase are able to manipulte the team through politics when it is corporately owned. I would love to see a private owner thumb his nose at all of the political whiners and hire the best man for the job.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Macbeth

Quote:
Disagree, yes he was given a chance to coach the team but within a couple of weeks he was turned into a lame duck and basically given no chance of coming back thanks to gauthier's and molson's comments. So yes the team showed little class in the way they treated him and worries more about appeasing certain french media and french sectors of Quebec.
"French sectors of Quebec", as in, uh, "English sectors of Ontario" ?

Dood...

Macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote