HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Question from a Wild fan

Old
03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qurpiz View Post
"I don't think the Wild are going to"
I'd say it like that.
Wild is the same as singular and plural and as we call the other teams in plural (Nucks, Avs, Habs) "are" is certainly the way to go.

Also, it's always "The Avalanche have a tough schedule....etc" so I would put the "the" there in as well.

Nzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Risebrough was an abhorrent GM. Even though Fletcher has had his share of ****-ups (trading Leddy for Barker, hiring Todd Richards) he's mostly done good.

Russo (one of my fave sportswriters) said with 100% certainty Granlund will be in the opening night lineup next season. There's a chance Jason Zucker will be there as well.

If Minny made absolutely no moves this offseason (which I doubt):

Heatley - Koivu - Setoguchi
Zucker - Granlund - Cullen
Powe - Brodziak - Clutterbuck (GOD would I hate this line)
Kassian - Peters - Johnson

Scandella - Gilbert
Spurgeon - Falk
Kampfer - Prosser

Backstrom/Hackett

That's actually not a terrible lineup. And that's also assuming Latendresse and Bouchard will not be ready by next season.

Absolutely love Mike Yeo...but the honeymoon phase is over. Now he's gotta prove he can get his team to win and stay in the win column. As an Avs fan, I unfortunately have to hope he fails.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:04 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

They do need to draft a bluechip defenseman, which they certain will in the upcoming draft.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
As long as your GM doesn't continue to take guys like AJ Thelen, Benoit Pouliot, and James Sheppard, Colton Gillies, and Tyler Cuma with your top picks. You guys lost a lot of ground by drafting guys who simply didn't pan out.

But hey, at least you guys have some players that SHOULD pan out come up soon. You'll really reap the benefits of a youth movement once all those guys are ready to play.

And yes, getting guys like Duchene, Landeskog, and O'Reilly certainly feels good.
Whoa, whoa there. Don't lump this kid in with the other guys. I still feel Cuma can turn out to be a good d-man, he's still only 21 years old and just because he's not a mainstay on their roster at this point, doesn't really mean anything. I haven't seen him play since his draft year but I'm still confident in this kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
They do need to draft a bluechip defenseman, which they certain will in the upcoming draft.
They already have that in Brodin but yeah, they do need more.

It's tough to gauge the Wild but I think they will be solid starting next season if only for having depth down the middle in Koivu and Granlund. I thought it was a mistake to trade Schultz for Gilbert though because all these years, I've never really been impressed with Gilbert at all. Maybe it was a 'ploy' to try and get his best buddy Ryan Suter to sign there and if that's the case, it would probably end up being a good move.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I thought it was a mistake to trade Schultz for Gilbert though because all these years, I've never really been impressed with Gilbert at all. Maybe it was a 'ploy' to try and get his best buddy Ryan Suter to sign there and if that's the case, it would probably end up being a good move.
I thought so too but a friend accurately pointed out Schultz has been buoyed by better goaltending and defensive system, while Gilbert has played on the league's worst defensive corps nearly his entire career. I think you will see him rebound nicely now that he isn't the end-all-be-all on the blueline. Schultz is good IMO, but we'll see just how good now that he plays for the NHL's most incompetent general manager.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Whoa, whoa there. Don't lump this kid in with the other guys. I still feel Cuma can turn out to be a good d-man, he's still only 21 years old and just because he's not a mainstay on their roster at this point, doesn't really mean anything. I haven't seen him play since his draft year but I'm still confident in this kid.

They already have that in Brodin but yeah, they do need more.

It's tough to gauge the Wild but I think they will be solid starting next season if only for having depth down the middle in Koivu and Granlund. I thought it was a mistake to trade Schultz for Gilbert though because all these years, I've never really been impressed with Gilbert at all. Maybe it was a 'ploy' to try and get his best buddy Ryan Suter to sign there and if that's the case, it would probably end up being a good move.
When Cuma was drafted he was supposed to be a solid two-way defenseman. But his offense has regressed badly since being drafted, and he had that really terrible injury last season, as well. And even with shortcomings on MIN defense, he still hasn't received a callup just to see how he'd do. I'm still skeptical as to what he can bring.

Gilbert has been brutal the past few seasons. I always thought that at least he had some offensive game, but his offense has completely dried up after his great 08-09 season. And it's not as if Edmonton is hurting offensively this year, either. I suppose he is still an adequate puck mover...

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
Rielly to the Wild. Book it.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote