HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
One of our scouts weighs in:

Quote:
“McDavid is the most impressive prospect that I have seen in my five years of viewing minor midget hockey,” Future Considerations scout Sean Lafortune said. “He’s impressed me more then (Tyler) Seguin, (Jeff) Skinner, (Erik) Gudbranson and other soon to be NHL Stars.”
http://futureconsiderations.ca/mcdav...tional-status/

Old
03-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
I can only assume that Erie is going to pick this young kid. They need him they can't get any worse. Same as Barrie with Eckblad have him for 4 full years.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:10 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
I swear Cherry is going senile

Old
03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
StormSurge9

What would be a reasonable expectation for his rookie year? Max Domi like impact?

Old
03-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
What would be a reasonable expectation for his rookie year? Max Domi like impact?
No I think if he plays a 65 game season he could get 30+45=70

Old
03-21-2012, 02:51 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
He's better than Domi. Im thinking he'll have a greater impact, he'll be probably used a lot more than Domi was.

Old
03-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Albeit he does have about half the points Tavares did when he was coming out of the GTHL

McDavid at 14/15 - 33+39=72 in 33 (2.18 ppg)
Tavares at 13/14 - 91+67=158 in 72 (2.19 ppg)

Wait.. hold on... why did McDavid play 33 games but Tavares play 72?

Old
03-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Wronskian

Is it reasonable to expect him to turn Erie into a playoff team? Is he that much of a game breaker? Definitely exciting with all the great young forward talent in the CHL next year (McDavid, Ho-Sang, Mackinnon, Virtanen). I'd love to see if anyone who has watched these guys rank these players.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wronskian View Post
Is it reasonable to expect him to turn Erie into a playoff team? Is he that much of a game breaker? Definitely exciting with all the great young forward talent in the CHL next year (McDavid, Ho-Sang, Mackinnon, Virtanen). I'd love to see if anyone who has watched these guys rank these players.
He wouldn't be able to turn Erie around single handidly, but since only 2 teams miss the playoffs I could see them making it, but it won't be only because of McDavid.

And it's not like he's going to put up 100 points and save the day. Probaby a bit less than Tavares had when he came in, not because McDavid isn't as good but because scoring in the OHL isn't as high as it was then.

Also, are we even sure McDavid will report to Erie? I know Ho-Sang said he would go anywhere but we haven't heard anything from McDavid. Erie is a decent organization but with how many kids say they'll only go to Windsor/London/Kitchener/Ottawa it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not expecting it. Just wondering if it's even a possibilty.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Eamonn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
He wouldn't be able to turn Erie around single handidly, but since only 2 teams miss the playoffs I could see them making it, but it won't be only because of McDavid.

And it's not like he's going to put up 100 points and save the day. Probaby a bit less than Tavares had when he came in, not because McDavid isn't as good but because scoring in the OHL isn't as high as it was then.

Also, are we even sure McDavid will report to Erie? I know Ho-Sang said he would go anywhere but we haven't heard anything from McDavid. Erie is a decent organization but with how many kids say they'll only go to Windsor/London/Kitchener/Ottawa it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm not expecting it. Just wondering if it's even a possibilty.
Why do players get to choose where they play? Wouldn't that just make tons of teams stacked?

Old
03-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamonn View Post
Why do players get to choose where they play? Wouldn't that just make tons of teams stacked?
As much as I hate it and have been verbal about it, it's just the unwritten politics of CHL hockey.

EDIT: See Nathan MacKinnon and Drakkar, Gabriel Landeskog and Plymouth, etc.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

And Erie was the team that had to suit up a forward as a goaltender this season

They are in pretty miserable shape.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Not saying I think it's right, even though my team definitely benefits from it, but it's because some organizations just don't have a good track record among other things.

Tiger1992 usually has some good posts on the issue.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Not saying I think it's right, even though my team definitely benefits from it, but it's because some organizations just don't have a good track record among other things.

Tiger1992 usually has some good posts on the issue.
Usually kids like to play close to home or in Landeskog's case he was already grooming a good relationship with Kitchener's head coach.

On a very unrelated note I wish Rimouski had gotten MacKinnon.

I can guarantee that Erie will talk to McDavid and his family prior to the draft to see what his position is on playing for them... I bet Erie would be fine trading away that pick for a king's ransom.

But to be honest McDavid seems like a pretty humble kid from the interviews I've read. I bet he'll be in Erie next year.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
They don't really get to choose where they play but they'll make it known that the only way they'll play in the chl is if it's for one of the stronger organizations. It happens every year.

Old
03-21-2012, 04:49 PM
kyle44

Quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Mcdavid have to report to Erie to play in the OHL next year as part of a provision in the exceptional status agreement?

Old
03-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle44 View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Mcdavid have to report to Erie to play in the OHL next year as part of a provision in the exceptional status agreement?
I thought it was he has to get drafted 1st overall but he can get traded after that.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

Quote:
Because they are kids and want to grow up with their friends and family. These aren't 18-19 year olds, they are 14-15-16 year olds. They want to stay in the same high school or stay close to their parents. Especially if they have a legit shot at the NHL, where they will most likely be away from friends and family for long periods of time.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
I thought it was he has to get drafted 1st overall but he can get traded after that.
They definitely don't have to be picked 1st overall. They can be drafted wherever.

Hockey Canada has never explictly said what the stipulations about being granted exceptional player status are but people connected to the CHL have said in the past that one of them is that the player has to report to the team who has his rights if he wants to play this season.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:18 PM
OHLFan8771

According to the otters radio broadcaster and head of public relations it is required a player granted exceptional status be drafted first overall. He may have been wrong but he is highly knowledgeable and seemed certain on this issue.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:21 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle44 View Post
Yup your correct as an agreement with the exceptional status the player must report to the team that drafts him. In this case only players are not able to manipulate the draft. If he doesn't report to Erie, he cannot play on any other team in the OHL. That said he has played fantastic all year and I'm sure he's excited just to get the opportunity to play in the league.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Torts

Erie has lots of young players and some really good pieces right now (Pelech, Brown, Williams). Adding this guy and some other young prospects and some other players over the offseason and you could see this team in the playoffs next season.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:46 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

McDavid doesn't seem like the player that would request a move like MacKinnon. Landeskog was a European player coming over so I give him benefit of the doubt.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
McDavid doesn't seem like the player that would request a move like MacKinnon. Landeskog was a European player coming over so I give him benefit of the doubt.
He had already forged a relationship with Kitchener's head coach.

The import draft is a shady thing already.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:58 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Yup your correct as an agreement with the exceptional status the player must report to the team that drafts him. In this case only players are not able to manipulate the draft. If he doesn't report to Erie, he cannot play on any other team in the OHL. That said he has played fantastic all year and I'm sure he's excited just to get the opportunity to play in the league.
That's not what the Otters say:
Quote:
GoErieHockey OTTERS UPDATE: OHL VP Ted Baker says the Otters aren't required to pick McDavid #1; McDavid isn't required to report to team that picks him.
http://twitter.com/GoErieHockey/stat...92319164018688

Closed Thread