HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neverending Toughness Thread: Desharnais endorses White / Staubitz

Old
03-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Patty Roy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Staubitz has done his job well here, don't have a problem bringing him back next year for cheap. Just play him against more physical teams and we're fine, I'd much rather play him for 4-5 minutes a game than dress 7 defenseman.
At this point i'd think that he's earned a new contract. I'd have no problem bringing him back for a year at $600k and have him play as our 12th/13th forward depending on the opposition.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Alot of posters seemed to totally buy into what Gauthier was spoon feeding them.

Team toughness is obviously important in today's NHL and is clearly important to Habs players. I like some of the changes we've made in the last few weeks but i still think we have more work to do in that area.

Ideally i'd like to see us add a tough bottom pair d-man to split duties with Diaz, and one more physical forward (assuming Moen and Staubitz are brought back).
Gauthier has consistently added bigger, tougher players since taking over as GM. After JM was fired(JM liked using 4 lines and probably would scratch an enforcer) he got one in Staubitz.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
I still think we need another guy. White is a good lightweight, Staubitz is a good middleweight, Moen too, but we don't have anybody that can hang with the heavies.
Look at the progress we've made in the toughness department over the last 2 months, it's insane. Staubitz can hang in there and play hard hockey, there's not much more you can ask for a guy like him IMO. The Habs are 1 Jarred Tinordi away from being perfect in the toughness department.

I'm just happy players are now claiming what we have been claiming for the last couple months, if not years.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:08 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
We don't need enforcers, we need guys that are willing to drop the gloves if necessary but that can play the game as well. Habs need to do what the Avs did and target players similar to Downie and McGinn in the future.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
We don't need enforcers, we need guys that are willing to drop the gloves if necessary but that can play the game as well. Habs need to do what the Avs did and target players similar to Downie and McGinn in the future.
White can play hockey as well, drops the gloves a good fore checker and kills penalties, can't ask for that much more from your 4th line

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
White can play hockey as well, drops the gloves a good fore checker and kills penalties, can't ask for that much more from your 4th line
Yeah I like White, he should stick around on our 4th line, but we need more toughness on our scoring lines.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Yeah I like White, he should stick around on our 4th line, but we need more toughness on our scoring lines.
Definitely need to add a tough player to complete the top 6 cause Bourque has been nothing but a disappointment and isn't that player we thought he was

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Definitely need to add a tough player to complete the top 6 cause Bourque has been nothing but a disappointment and isn't that player we thought he was
I would make calls about Clowe if I was PG (or whoever is running the show), it seems like he's near his end of the line in SJ and if they miss the playoffs he could easily end up on the block.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:39 AM
habitue*

Quote:
I would make calls about Clowe if I was PG (or whoever is running the show), it seems like he's near his end of the line in SJ and if they miss the playoffs he could easily end up on the block.
Chris Stewart is loosing his time in St-Louis.

Maybe we can have him for Price ()

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm glad we both agree that DD's obvious intent here is to toe the company line, as any player in the NHL would.

I suggest picking up Les Canadiens magazine for other in-depth, hard-hitting scoops.
After we were knocked out by the Flyers in our cinderella run, I remember it being reported that players went to BG requesting we add size and toughness to the team. Let me be clear, I want guys who can play 8-10 minutes, not be a liability, bring energy, and be able to hit alot. In addition to all that, being willing and able to fight would be good. And no, if a player brought the rest of it to the table I wouldnt dump him just because he couldnt or wouldnt fight. People here have discussed Staubitz and Im on the fence with him because though he fights and seems ok at it, and importantly does hit, hes only getting 5 min or so , whereas Blunden is trusted enough to get double that. Staubitz needs to prove he can play regular shifts. To me the most important thing he did was when Malone went nuts on Emelin, Staubitz grabbed Malone , even though he was on the bench. I read on these Boards that Emelin has a plate in his face from a fight a few years ago and dont think it would have been good for him to have taken any punches there, which I think is why Emelin wouldnt drop them. You need players to step up for their teammates like Staubtiz did.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Chris Stewart is loosing his time in St-Louis.

Maybe we can have him for Price ()
Stewart isn't a PWF, people seem to have a picture of him as a big hulking winger that punishes physicly, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He fights and that's about it, he plays a very soft game and he really isn't all that willing to pay the price to score goals from the dirty area in front of the net. His forte is playing of the rush where he can use his speed and a really good shot. He also has a knack for floating and he does it way too much for my liking.

Quite frankly I was very happy when he was traded from Colorado and I don't want to see him wearing a Habs jersey.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:55 AM
sampollock

wow what a concept, toughness in the line up, and the small guys play better,

huh, who would figure that, that a team with every player under 5 feet, would get pushed around

gainey?

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:56 AM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
You need a fourth line to bang bodies, create energy and intimidate the other team. I think Ryan White centering the fourth line is a fantastic start. He can hit well, can scrap with any middle-weight in the league and knows how to play decent hockey. Staubitz on his wing will allow White to play more tough, knowing if the heavyweights start to chase him, Staubitz can drop them and deal with those type.

I'd love Moen on the other wing but he has the defensive qualities to play on the third line. If the Habs could keep him there and sign another big winger - or insert Blunden on the other wing - the Habs fourth line will be really tough to handle. Play these guys 10 minutes or less, send them out there and tell em to make something happen.
I think Blunden has been a good surprise, I wouldnt mind trying the line you suggest at all. Need to see White be good at face-offs though. Gustaud would be great, hes big, hits and is a face-off ace, but hed cost alot. Don t know much about this guy but theres a centre for the Jets named Slater whose playing about 14min a game, hits alot with his size being average, has been great at face-offs this year, is turning UFA and is making $1M this year. Hes 30 and has 10 goals this year.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

you know staubitz has not hurt us when he's on the ice, seems to have a great relationship with white (the I got the next fight bud relationship).

guys we're getting bigger finally.

what sucks is that had we kept AK we knew our 3rd for next year. ak-eller-moen

if gionta and DD are our smallest players i'm not going to complain cause both play like they're 6'6 and take a hit and keep ticking. But we cant afford to have any other players that size or who play small

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Really, you're using this as your validation? What did you expect Desharnais to say? "Yeah those two guys who are my teammates and share a locker room with me...I don't think they need to be here"?

Come on...it's a nothing article.
I don't know Hoto... I don't recall any comments from habs players after the acquisition of guys like Noke, D'ago, Maxwell...

of course, it may be simply that they were never asked the same leading question, but even a guy like Darche, whose emotion and intensity has been positively commented on by other players, I haven't seen him described in such an "inspirational" (as in his play directly leading to player X feeling more confident on the ice) way.

I'm no fan of fighting in the NHL, completely unnecessary were it properly sanctioned as it is in any other competitive contact sport (aside from combat sports, of course), but given that it is a part of the game, and that teams with big/physical/intimidating-type players will go to great lengths to use that element to their advantage, it's no surprise that adding players capable/willing to match "fire with fire" are much appreciated in the locker room.

you can dismiss the article as much as you want, but I can almost guarantee that a skill player like DD much prefers having a "dur des dur" backing him up than some other random 4th liner who may otherwise be a better "hockey" player.

if anything, it's a pretty candid and not exactly self-flattering comment on DD's behalf. He's not just applauding his teammates, he's acknowledging that he plays "smaller" without them... essentially admitting to the intimidation effect that some try to dismiss.

until the NHL decides to truly make the NHL a showcase of hockey skill first and foremost, fighting & physical intimidation beyond the scope of the rules (i.e legal checks) will remain an important aspect of the game... nice to see us finally have a few bodies capable of playing "that" game.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:11 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
you know staubitz has not hurt us when he's on the ice, seems to have a great relationship with white (the I got the next fight bud relationship).

if gionta and DD are our smallest players i'm not going to complain cause both play like they're 6'6 and take a hit and keep ticking. But we cant afford to have any other players that size or who play small
hey

a new GM and coach AK tests FA we could end up back here

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post

I could see Bourque-Eller-Moen as a 3rd line.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Stewart isn't a PWF, people seem to have a picture of him as a big hulking winger that punishes physicly, but that couldn't be further from the truth. He fights and that's about it, he plays a very soft game and he really isn't all that willing to pay the price to score goals from the dirty area in front of the net. His forte is playing of the rush where he can use his speed and a really good shot. He also has a knack for floating and he does it way too much for my liking.

Quite frankly I was very happy when he was traded from Colorado and I don't want to see him wearing a Habs jersey.
He and his brother alike. They don't drill people, but they sure as hell can beat the **** out of people.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I'm glad we both agree that DD's obvious intent here is to toe the company line, as any player in the NHL would.

I suggest picking up Les Canadiens magazine for other in-depth, hard-hitting scoops.
Post of the year!!

Love it

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

If true that the question was..."So David, is it true that you become bigger the day you have a "goon" in your team", why would DD HAD to say that it was true? He could have said, if he wanted to be on a company line, that while it's fun to see, he doesn't feel the need based on the fact that nobody ask him to go, that it doesn't bother him, that we've played all this time with that team toughness concept yadi-yada.....Nope. He went out of his way to emphasize the fact that he liked it. Just like MaxPac did in another interview. Was the question "Do you like to have White defend you" or something like that.....'Cause frankly, DD talks about White. Yet, you'd think he'd talk about Staubitz, 'cause White doesn't need to be refered as "a fier--bras". He's much more than that. And then you have White who says that it wasn't really needed. So is he going on a company line? Shouldn't he say also that a guy like Staubitz was deeply needed? He just says that it gives the team another kind of image.

Did players went out of their way to use that team toughness supposed concept? When asked if they would prefer to have a tough guy, they did really convinced people by talking about team toughness or "we'll make them pay with our PP", especially in a time when the PP was abysmal?

Yet, just read that article and you will be convinced that DD likes it very much. And if you played the game, you know that it is freakin true.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Look at the progress we've made in the toughness department over the last 2 months, it's insane. Staubitz can hang in there and play hard hockey, there's not much more you can ask for a guy like him IMO. The Habs are 1 Jarred Tinordi away from being perfect in the toughness department.
Perfect? Hardly. We need guys that can take care of themselves on four lines and on three pairs of defensemen to be considered perfect. Also Tinordi has had toughness issues.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Mynameismark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
And your intent is pretty obvious as well. You are content to see a very passive Canadiens team that is easily pushed around by every team in the NHL. Sorry hototogisu, but that approach has been proven to be a losing proposition.

Why do you want more of that?
You're arguing with a guy that wants the roster filled with more Palushajs and Darches and Campolis...or basically, going against the history of the game and plugging the 4th line with softies. Or maybe inserting a soft defenseman like Weber onto the 4th line from time to time.

Guys like White and Stauby are some of the most well liked and popular guys on the roster, especially by their peers and teammates. You need guys who will go to war. Hockey isnt a creampuff sport.

Mynameismark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:34 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I could see Bourque-Eller-Moen as a 3rd line.
forget about Moen... he can get the same $ playing for a good team next season.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Perfect? Hardly. We need guys that can take care of themselves on four lines and on three pairs of defensemen to be considered perfect. Also Tinordi has had toughness issues.
Tinordi has FIGHTING issues. Don't mix up the two.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Hugo Sham

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...121/story.html

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote