HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tank on Habs lose 3-0

Old
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
“@Richardlabbe: #Habs R.White told me he wanted to fight T.Myers twice for Gomez cheap-shot. Both times Myers said no.”
Why not send him a fax... Seriously, why ask him. Myers was probably expecting someone to go after him anyway.

Bourque had to fight Hendricks in his first shift in his first game with the Habs for elbowing Backstrom.

If White really wants to revenge Gomez, just do it, don't ask for permission.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
You know earlier this year when people wrote " worst game of the season " but they were all emotional and overreacting .

Tonight they would be right because it was the worst game of the season
What's sad about this is that you can apply that line to so many games this year.

Man I can't wait for this season to end already. I can't watch this team anymore. They are so limited in talent and to make it all worse, there is absolutely nothing interesting being offered by the coaches. Just god awful. Can't believe how bad Gauthier has transformed this team over a year. I don't get it. It's as if he listened to all the idiots in the media and did whatever they wanted.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:31 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
What's sad about this is that you can apply that line to so many games this year.

Man I can't wait for this season to end already. I can't watch this team anymore. They are so limited in talent and to make it all worse, there is absolutely nothing interesting being offered by the coaches. Just god awful. Can't believe how bad Gauthier has transformed this team over a year. I don't get it. It's as if he listened to all the idiots in the media and did whatever they wanted.
No worries Kriss, as you probably know already, we'll get a top pick this summer and will go straight into contention... as soon as next season

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:38 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
No worries Kriss, as you probably know already, we'll get a top pick this summer and will go straight into contention... as soon as next season
well, it does improve our chances, does it not?

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
People who think a top pick will transform us from a bottom feeder to a top contender are at risk of being severely disappointed. I hope that i'm wrong but we need at least 2-3 years minimum to sort all this mess. Maybe less if we get a competent a pro active GM who know what he's doing.

That said getting the best possible pick this year is still the best course of action and a small step in the good direction. That's why the tank shall go on

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:42 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Enjoy yourselves gentlemen.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:42 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Leaf fans aren't happy the Habs lost tonight hurting their tank and to top it off they hope Burke offer sheets Price this summer..
Burke won't do an offer sheet. He's outspoken against them. The only way a team pries Price away by offer sheet is to offer an absurd salary, likely well over 7m.

In that case Price might accept if it came from a contender, Habs may not meet it, and compensation would be 2 firsts, a second and a third.

In the unlikely scenario two or more teams were involved, there is a small and bizarre chance the bid could go over 7.8m where the compensation is 4 firsts.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:46 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Getting a high pick is good but let's not do this again for a while
I don't think I can take 2 back to back years tanking

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
People who think a top pick will transform us from a bottom feeder to a top contender are at risk of being severely disappointed. I hope that i'm wrong but we need at least 2-3 years minimum to sort all this mess. Maybe less if we get a competent a pro active GM who know what he's doing.

That said getting the best possible pick this year is still the best course of action and a small step in the good direction. That's why the tank shall go on
I think you're right on all counts. It probably will take a couple of years to get this sorted out and actually become contenders. I'm just worried that we're going to do more stupid quick fix moves next year instead of just being patient and rebuilding properly.

As for this year's pick, let's just hope it's a good one regardless of where we get him from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
Getting a high pick is good but let's not do this again for a while
I don't think I can take 2 back to back years tanking
Next year is a total crapshoot. Dealing away Cammy and Ak won't help our playoff chances next season. Bourque is looking more and more like the player Calgary couldn't wait to get rid of and we still have huge holes on defense.

We've got some excellent young pieces to build around though. Price, Subban, Emelin, Max are all great. Gorges is still young and we've got some other good young players and prospects that we can develop. I just hope we stick to actually PLAYING those younger players.

People who keep talking about us finally having a good line and that will get us into the playoffs next year? Well, that line has produced well THIS season and we've still sucked. What happens if they slump next year? We could easily find ourselves in the same situation.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Et le But

The biggest problem right now is how terrible the FA class is.

We aren't doing a multi-year tank. This is Montreal, there will be blood on the streets if we act like the Oilers. But at this point next year seems more like an audition than anything else; so much went wrong that I just don't know who on this awful team is worth keeping.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:52 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Burke won't do an offer sheet. He's outspoken against them. The only way a team pries Price away by offer sheet is to offer an absurd salary, likely well over 7m.

In that case Price might accept if it came from a contender, Habs may not meet it, and compensation would be 2 firsts, a second and a third.

In the unlikely scenario two or more teams were involved, there is a small and bizarre chance the bid could go over 7.8m where the compensation is 4 firsts.
I'd say Montreal would match anything unless it was as ridiculous as something over $7.8M.

Depending who would make an offer, I might even be happy about it. Cellar dwellers welcome!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:52 PM
haayward

Leafs fan here, watched the whole game tonight hoping for a MTL win. I really hope we are within 1 point of each other for game #82 just because our two boards will be full of people cheering for the other team. Might stop by here to rub it in you dirty habs fans once you guys beat us! Good luck with the tank guys, hopefully we can split Grigo, Galenychuk and we'll all be happy.

haayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:53 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

The current situation is a resultant of :

1. Injuries (Markov, Gionta)
2. Player paid big bucks under performing (Cammy, Gomez most notably)
3. Absolutely horrible asset management by the habs who have lost a lot of talent without getting anything in return
4. Absolutely terrible development of young players
5. Goalies not standing on their heads to steal games this season
6. Cunneyworth being an idiot

The biggest blunders that have led the habs to this situation are Gainey's mistakes (2-3 and 4).

I don't see how people look at this and see Gauthier as the main culprit.

E = CH² is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:55 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

3. Absolutely horrible asset management by the habs who have lost a lot of talent without getting anything in return

The biggest blunders that have led the habs to this situation are Gainey's mistakes (2-3 and 4).

Goat was Gainey's asisstant all throughout his regime.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:57 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Glad I didn't watch. Good night for the tank.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:

At the helm for 2 1/2 years. I mean come on.

You're also conveniently omitting replacing Hamrlik and Wisniewski with 2 rookies. Last year's D was miles ahead of the one this year, and that had a huge part to do with it (2 quality big minute d-men). Maybe the tradeoff would've been better if Markov had played, but he didn't, and we were stuck with the result. That's partially Gauthier's fault.

Overall, the team's been slowly gutted over his regime, it was bound to come to this at one point.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The biggest problem right now is how terrible the FA class is.
Good. Hopefully that prevents us from the usual stupidity of trying to build our core via the FA method.
Quote:
We aren't doing a multi-year tank.
We could very well do a multi-year tank whether we want to or not.
Quote:
This is Montreal, there will be blood on the streets if we act like the Oilers. But at this point next year seems more like an audition than anything else; so much went wrong that I just don't know who on this awful team is worth keeping.
Well, is there blood on the streets now? We just kept making more and more dumb moves as the season went on.

The FA market won't help us. Our pick this year probably won't help us. So what's going to change next year to make us that much better? Markov is a wildcard but he doesn't look great right now. We could very well be in the same situation again next season man. I just hope we don't do something stupid like starting to deal away our prospects for short term gains again. I'm sad enough watching McD develop for NY, I don't want to see it happen again.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:02 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Fair enough. But now Gainey is Goat's advisor.

Fact of the matter is that if you're going to blame Gauthier, you absolutely need to blame Gainey too. You can't just lay it at the feet of Gauthier, that's silly.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Pretty much .Same regime , same reactive personnas , same mentality.

In retrospective Gainey has been the biggest culprit but i don't trust Gauthier with any type of rebuilding or retooling. And let's not forget that Gainey is STILL with the team and sometimes seen sitting right by Gauthier during games so he obviously still has some influence.

We need a sweep and a clean state.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Fair enough. But now Gainey is Goat's advisor.

Fact of the matter is that if you're going to blame Gauthier, you absolutely need to blame Gainey too. You can't just lay it at the feet of Gauthier, that's silly.
I just refer to them as management. They are a pair, and now Carriere is also part of the package as he's the assistant GM.

I agree with your previous post, there's many things you can blame on Gainey.
But, as average one might say we were last year, the decisions management have taken over the past year have made us worse.

Even if we do lack a lot of talent right now, I think a coaching change alone would improve us because RC is just absolutely clueless.
But coaching+management need to go, and the first thing we need to fix is player development. Having guys like Palushaj or Leblanc play with Blunden, White, Staubitz, Noke, under 5-10min, is absolutely useless.

Boy, things are so not looking good in Habs land right now.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Hugo Sham

i think there are problems but i disagree about the lack of talent. at this point they have been playing relatively **** since vegan skeletor hung cunneyworth out to dry + traded cammy mid-game. it became a ****ing circus and guys have been playing half-ass ever since.

having lazy cupcakes like blowmez and thomas cadbury around doesn't help either. they need a tough D man, a healthy gionta and another scoring option in the top 6 + a high pick and we're ****ing back baby

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:17 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueinmtl View Post
Why bother asking? Just go at him, if he turtles so be it.

That's Laraquian stuff by RW, disappointing. Someone get the man a steak.
to be fair, I think it had something to do with Shanahan's pre-game tweet. He might have come down on White for starting **** with him even though it would have been well within the confines of the "rules".

Then again, I also agree with what RC said when asked about Myers, which is that he's paid his fine and he legitimately regretted his reckless play. If you listened to his (Myers') response to the suspension, you might agree. I think it's more important to police the real cheapshots that sometimes aren't as obvious.

What do you guys think of Staubitz in the role that he's been put? He's definitely not a big guy but will fight when called upon. That's great and all, but I really don't want to see a Hab lose a fight every game just for the hell of it. Kudos to Staubitz for doing the job, but if we're going to have to get a fighter, can we get a better one? I actually don't even think Staubitz is that bad of a hockey player for a fighter. Minny fans said he's atrocious. Not that much worse than some of our 3rd line and isn't incompetent with the puck nor without it. White also falls in the "will fight, still a middleweight" category. I'm not saying we NEED a fighter, but that's asking a lot from those two (or just White if staubitz is gone after this year) given they'll be targets.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
E = CH²

I don't actually want to defend Gauthier here because he's made mistakes. But here's the thing ... the team Gauthier inherited was terrible. What we're seeing right now is the result of a Gainey squandering the best drafting in the league and throwing all of our cap room at heartless midgets like Cammy and Gomez. Gauthier had zero room for errors because the previous regime (Gauthier + Gainey) made too many mistakes.

In the end, to me, Gauthier and Gainey are almost like one entity. House needs cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
At the helm for 2 1/2 years. I mean come on.
You can't be serious, that's an insanely short time to be GM. You can't put your stamp on a team in 2 and half years at all.

But like I said, it's hard to consider Gainey's regime as its own entity and Gauthier's as another. They're both intertwined.

Quote:
You're also conveniently omitting replacing Hamrlik and Wisniewski with 2 rookies.
He was the one who got Wiz in the first place, so kind of a wash.

As for Hammer, you'd have signed him for 2 years ? He was done. He sucks in Washington. Besides, Hammer was to be replaced by Gorges, and Wiz by Markov.

Quote:
Last year's D was miles ahead of the one this year, and that had a huge part to do with it (2 quality big minute d-men). Maybe the tradeoff would've been better if Markov had played, but he didn't, and we were stuck with the result. That's partially Gauthier's fault.
The only difference is Hammer.

And we had Gorges/Markov coming back to offset it.

Gorges-Spacek
Gill-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Diaz-Weber
St-Denis

Two of Emelin, Diaz and Weber were never supposed to play that much and to be honest that was a very very deep D. You can't expect your 9th dman to be Shea Weber. Proof is that we stayed afloat with Martin 1 game over .500 with these kids on D.

Quote:
Overall, the team's been slowly gutted over his regime, it was bound to come to this at one point.
What was the core of the team Gainey assembled ? His 3 midgets who all combine for one heart ? Hammer who was done for ? I mean, how has he gutted the team I don't get it. The team has always pretty much sucked and never played like a great team at all. Carried by great goaltending performances - Halak 2 years ago, Price last year, and now no one is standing on their head in nets and the team explodes.

If he gutted it, then all he did was gut a fish that was almost already dry and had flopped for the last time. Good riddance. Hope whoever follows "guts it" even more. It was an utterly pathetic team that Gainey assembled, and it was never gonna win jack ****.

Old
03-21-2012, 10:23 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by haayward View Post
Leafs fan here, watched the whole game tonight hoping for a MTL win. I really hope we are within 1 point of each other for game #82 just because our two boards will be full of people cheering for the other team. Might stop by here to rub it in you dirty habs fans once you guys beat us! Good luck with the tank guys, hopefully we can split Grigo, Galenychuk and we'll all be happy.
woah woah woah, what's with that?

You guys have been trying to "rub it in" most of the season until the inevitable happened. I'm not so sure you deserve a lottery pick for the bad karma. I'm hoping you guys are 6th or higher, no sympathy for you guys after the ~5 months of dickishness (not you personally, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about).

Early season gloatin?

No tank for you!

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I don't actually want to defend Gauthier here because he's made mistakes. But here's the thing ... the team Gauthier inherited was terrible. What we're seeing right now is the result of a Gainey squandering the best drafting in the league and throwing all of our cap room at heartless midgets like Cammy and Gomez. Gauthier had zero room for errors because the previous regime (Gauthier + Gainey) made too many mistakes.

In the end, to me, Gauthier and Gainey are almost like one entity. House needs cleaned.

You can't be serious, that's an insanely short time to be GM. You can't put your stamp on a team in 2 and half years at all.

But like I said, it's hard to consider Gainey's regime as its own entity and Gauthier's as another. They're both intertwined.

He was the one who got Wiz in the first place, so kind of a wash.

As for Hammer, you'd have signed him for 2 years ? He was done. He sucks in Washington. Besides, Hammer was to be replaced by Gorges, and Wiz by Markov.

The only difference is Hammer.

And we had Gorges/Markov coming back to offset it.

Gorges-Spacek
Gill-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Diaz-Weber
St-Denis

Two of Emelin, Diaz and Weber were never supposed to play that much and to be honest that was a very very deep D. You can't expect your 9th dman to be Shea Weber. Proof is that we stayed afloat with Martin 1 game over .500 with these kids on D.

What was the core of the team Gainey assembled ? His 3 midgets who all combine for one heart ? Hammer who was done for ? I mean, how has he gutted the team I don't get it. The team has always pretty much sucked and never played like a great team at all. Carried by great goaltending performances - Halak 2 years ago, Price last year, and now no one is standing on their head in nets and the team explodes.

If he gutted it, then all he did was gut a fish that was almost already dry and had flopped for the last time. Good riddance. Hope whoever follows "guts it" even more. It was an utterly pathetic team that Gainey assembled, and it was never gonna win jack ****.
It is a short stint as GM and he did walk into a bad situation... but in that time PG has taken a bad situation and made it worse so I completely agree with you that he should be replaced.