HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryz First Star of the Week..... Again

Old
03-21-2012, 09:03 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i'll trade 1 CUP for the entire 9 year deal. if I see Bryz hoist it as our #1, then I will be satisfied with the deal.
Me too.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
your right, i apologize. I went back and saw some of your posts. You did defend. don't gloat tho. Even though you were right. I agreed btw. The thing that is most overlooked in this argument between the dudes that believed and the guys that didn't' is that it proves that you were really never gonna give him a chance based on how fast the insults started flowing in. Anyone who saw him play in the playoffs in 2006 and then watched him a lot in phoenix knew that it couldn't be HIM by himself that is the problem, it had to be other factors causing his crappy play earlier in the season. To jump on him that early proved that you didn't have high expectations to begin with and that you were ready to say "told you he sucked" before he unpacked his bags. The WHOLE team sucked and has adjusted and HE in the meantime has doubled up on his first star of the week honors. don't gloat but its a beautiful thing to be right.
Thanks! I do appreciate the correction. I had to gloat bc of all the crap I got. But since 06 I wanted us to get him so I am extremely happy. And yes, it did appear that Philly fans almost wanted him to fail...which I don't get. Everyone gave up so quickly.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:13 PM
hockeyfreak7

The only thing I have a problem with is the people who were saying that Bryzgalov could never live up to his contract simply because of the term. I believe many even said Bryzgalov still would not be worth the deal even if he won a Cup.

Suddenly, they've stopped complaining while Bryz has been hot. That's my problem. Many on here explicitly said that it would be a bad contract even if he was playing well...

That logic seems to be gone though. The fact of the matter is, if Bryz plays well, everyone is happy.

There was reason to be upset, but many took it overboard by suggesting that Bryzgalov could absolutely, positively, never be worth his contract. It was a knee jerk reaction, and I guess it was understandably so...but regardless, his hot streak and the subsequent disappearance of Bryz hate proves that people will be happy if the team is successful. As simple as that.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I'll be happy to complain about his contract if you want.

03-21-2012, 09:40 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It is fun to keep this goin. It does get pretty lame when everything's going great. go ahead. stir some shiz up.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 09:43 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
As long as you still believe the things you were saying earlier in the season, I will still respect your opinion

I'll just say this-- if Bryz wins a Cup as the starting goalie...whether it be in 1 year or 7 years...Flyers fans shouldnt care if his contract is an albatross in 2020

Old
03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Speaking of which...has anybody on these boards ever asked whether they think Bryz will ever be worth his contract?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Speaking of which...has anybody on these boards ever asked whether they think Bryz will ever be worth his contract?
That's an excellent point. What is his cap hit?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Flyersfan1493
Formerly Go For It

Quote:
i'll trade 1 CUP for the entire 9 year deal. if I see Bryz hoist it as our #1, then I will be satisfied with the deal.
Quote:
Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
As long as you still believe the things you were saying earlier in the season, I will still respect your opinion

I'll just say this-- if Bryz wins a Cup as the starting goalie...whether it be in 1 year or 7 years...Flyers fans shouldnt care if his contract is an albatross in 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I'm sorry, but this is the same reasoning behind the Briere and Pronger deals, and we've seen the results those deals have brought us. Great while they're productive, but once they start to tail off (Pronger towards the beginning of the season) or just completely implode (Briere), they become a huge problem.

Also, those of you saying "If X gets a cup, I'll be satisfied with the deal," many people said that about the 2008 Phillies team. That lasted about a year.

Flyersfan1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:35 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I'm sorry, but this is the same reasoning behind the Briere and Pronger deals, and we've seen the results those deals have brought us. Great while they're productive, but once they start to tail off (Pronger towards the beginning of the season) or just completely implode (Briere), they become a huge problem.

Also, those of you saying "If X gets a cup, I'll be satisfied with the deal," many people said that about the 2008 Phillies team. That lasted about a year.
Pronger and Briere have led us to within two games of the Cup. I dont care how cumbersome their contracts become, it has been worth it.

And Pronger can very easily be LTIR'd, and Briere's contract will be over before he becomes too bad. Besides, he's had a bad year...the last time he had a bad year, he broke records in the playoffs. He might not turn the switch again, but it's still pretty early before you start calling the contract a mistake. As far as I'm concerned, the Briere contract has definitely been a success.

All I care about is being competitive for the Cup. If this team wins a Cup with Bryz as its starter, the contract is worth it. Period. We gave him the money and th term because we desperately needed a talented goalie. Well, if he plays like a talented goalie, and he solves the issue of the team being "good, but not good enough", then I'll be satisfied.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:39 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:

The 08 Phillies are beloved by Phillies fans. You're hearing the dillweeds who have been watching them since that year who expect them to win every year.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:45 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
don't gloat but its a beautiful thing to be right.
it beats the alternative, that's for sure!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:51 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The other goalie also got a shutout despite facing significantly more shots
I know, I remember that argument, it didn't make any sense then either, really.

Much of the Bryz hate has been ruse to obfuscate substandard play and subpar coaching (not that I blame people - sometimes it is hard to criticize one's idols).

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I will deal with 10 years of playing like the isles if we win the cup!

Honestly would trade just about anything in the hockey world for the cup.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I will deal with 10 years of playing like the isles if we win the cup!
Honestly would trade just about anything in the hockey world for the cup.
I am in the same boat .

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
I'm sorry, but this is the same reasoning behind the Briere and Pronger deals

i think a stud goalie can be much more responsible for winning a CUP by himself, compared to any other player.

he's the only player who will / can [in theory] play every minute of the playoffs.

that's why we'll trade 1 CUP for the goalie contract.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

Much of the Bryz hate has been ruse to obfuscate substandard play and subpar coaching (not that I blame people - sometimes it is hard to criticize one's idols).
You clearly don't have any idea what you're talking about. Bryz's play earlier in the season had nothing to do with coaching. It had everything to do with Bryz playing horrifically. If anything, his excellent play now serves as a contrast to show us just how terrible he was before he turned it around. Nobody criticized Bryz because it was some odd mass conspiracy to protect Lavi. They criticized Bryz because he flat out sucked.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post

Who would you replace Lavy with? Im just curious to see who you think is better then him right now that is available?

Lavy has lead a team to a cup victory and also to another cup final. I can say their is only a handful of coaches right now in the NHL that I would rather have then Lavy.

Also it's funny how you blame Lavy for Bryz giving up goals on wrist shots from the blue line. Christ if Lavy was the goalie he could have stopped some of the crap Bryz was giving up

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:25 PM
BernieParent

One more star for Bryz and he can make Orion's Belt.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Bryz's play earlier in the season had nothing to do with coaching.
Lavi pulling him early in the year absolutely contributed to the problem.

proof?:

when he played poorly after the flu, Lavi left him & Bryz's confidence went up, since he knew he didn't have to look over his shoulder for the quick hook.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:

proof?:

when he played poorly after the flu, Lavi left him & Bryz's confidence went up, since he knew he didn't have to look over his shoulder for the quick hook.
Lavi also left him in for a few stretches to try and build his confidence, and it failed. Bryz kept on sucking. So much for that, then.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

proof?:

Lavy is in the game to win it. Bryz is the only one responsible on himself getting pulled. Yes sometimes in games goalies aren't at fault when they get pulled, but the majority of the time it was Bryz's fault he was yanked.

If you leave a goalie in there to get schalaked, his confidence will get destroyed. His job is to stop the puck, he wasn't doing it. Now it just isn't Briere's fault in this whole episode, but Lavy is getting the blame too.

Edit: Sorry Beef this is your argument, but it boggles my mind how many excuses these people can make for Bryz. Instead of just laying it all on him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Lavi stopped pulling Bryz in games he struggled in. WPG / CAL for example.

earlier in the year, he would have pulled him. this was the change Lavi made.

he changed this, and Bryz gained confidence & turned it around.

not the only reason for Bryz's improvement, but a distinct change in coaching philosophy.

Old
03-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Xegiie

i don't think Lavi caused that.. he might actually kicked bryz in the nuts by letting him sit the WC game.. bryz started to play better after the WC not before.

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
i don't think Lavi caused that.. he might actually kicked bryz in the nuts by letting him sit the WC game.. bryz started to play better after the WC not before.
totally agree. deserved to be benched. and save the few games after the flu, has been much different, and lately extraordinary.