HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank on Habs lose 3-0

Old
03-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
People who think a top pick will transform us from a bottom feeder to a top contender are at risk of being severely disappointed. I hope that i'm wrong but we need at least 2-3 years minimum to sort all this mess. Maybe less if we get a competent a pro active GM who know what he's doing.

That said getting the best possible pick this year is still the best course of action and a small step in the good direction. That's why the tank shall go on
QFT.

However, we are not a bottom feeder team. With Markov healthy and other big and small pieces back from injuries (Gionta, Moen, Darche), this team is surely at least a middle of the pack team. So, with an awesome pick and more maturity with the Ds, it can make this a good team. Get a better coach and another solid defensive D and we're in business.

Speaking of coach, will stupid Conny break up that DD line now that it has gone cold for a few games? Experiment and collect datapoints for next season, even if your chances of coming back is low; you'd do that if you are truly professional.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It is a short stint as GM and he did walk into a bad situation... but in that time PG has taken a bad situation and made it worse so I completely agree with you that he should be replaced.
Yes, but I'm still shocked at how it all turned out.

He added Cole, and we had DD and Pacioretty for the full season. That's one badass line we didn't have. Hammer got replaced by Gorges. In theory, we should have done as good as last year even with a less experienced and injured D.

I don't understand how we couldn't make 2 more good lines with Plekanec, Cammy, Gomez. Gionta, AK, Eller and Moen. Well, I do. Gionta got injured, Gomez still sucked and Cammy .. I dunno what was wrong with him but yeah..

But really, at the beginning of the season I was definitely not expecting a huge struggled like that.

What I really blame Gauthier for is scrambling to salvage the bad situation and getting Kaberle and Bourque instead of trading Spacho and Cammy for picks/prospects saddling us with yet more horrible contracts and players with zero heart.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
QFT.

Speaking of coach, will stupid Conny break up that DD line now that it has gone cold for a few games? Experiment and collect datapoints for next season, even if your chances of coming back is low; you'd do that if you are truly professional.
I agree with this. On the western road trip, Pleks-Paches-Cole looked dynamite and went head to head against great lines. That line looked scary good, but I guess the organization doesn't want the French media to crap their pants removing their only Franco player away from the team's best wingers. It's a shame though, cause given enough time together, I can see Pleks centering those two can be one of the best lines in the NHL. I'm
Sick of this Kovalevesque line that Desharnais centers, who shows up once every 3 games.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:51 PM
Protest the Hero

Try Desharnais at wing at least once. Maybe Bourque-Eller-DD, and give Plekanec a chance with the big two. See if DD can get Bourque going, see how he and Eller play off each other. Nothing to lose at this point.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

He added Cole, and we had DD and Pacioretty for the full season. That's one badass line we didn't have. Hammer got replaced by Gorges. In theory, we should have done as good as last year even with a less experienced and injured D.

I don't understand how we couldn't make 2 more good lines with Plekanec, Cammy, Gomez. Gionta, AK, Eller and Moen. Well, I do. Gionta got injured, Gomez still sucked and Cammy .. I dunno what was wrong with him but yeah..

But really, at the beginning of the season I was definitely not expecting a huge struggled like that.

What I really blame Gauthier for is scrambling to salvage the bad situation and getting Kaberle and Bourque instead of trading Spacho and Cammy for picks/prospects saddling us with yet more horrible contracts and players with zero heart.
You forgot a crucial aspect: PP. This is the difference. Markov was supposed to be the key for that. We all know how that turned out. This made the Habs a team at the doorstep of a playoff spot.

The coach change made it a disaster.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:58 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Try Desharnais at wing at least once. Maybe Bourque-Eller-DD, and give Plekanec a chance with the big two. See if DD can get Bourque going, see how he and Eller play off each other. Nothing to lose at this point.
I like that, but can you imagine the bourque bashing that will happen if Desharnais doesn't produce.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:09 AM
coolasprICE

The Markov-injury excuse is weak.

Any fan that banked on Markov this year was out of their mind.

The fact that our GM banked on Markov's health for this season proves that he is actually a bigger idiot than the crazy fans. Which means that the average crazy habs fan would make a better GM than him since most can agree that the moves he made afterwards were pretty dumb.

What I laugh at the most is when our own GM used the telling fact that X percent of our cap was injured as an excuse to the teams struggles... as if he isn't to blame here.

Mister Gauthier, maybe if you ate something once in awhile you would have better judgement and wiser excuses... Just saying.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
I agree with this. On the western road trip, Pleks-Paches-Cole looked dynamite and went head to head against great lines. That line looked scary good, but I guess the organization doesn't want the French media to crap their pants removing their only Franco player away from the team's best wingers. It's a shame though, cause given enough time together, I can see Pleks centering those two can be one of the best lines in the NHL. I'm
Sick of this Kovalevesque line that Desharnais centers, who shows up once every 3 games.
Yes, but that would render Desharnais virtually useless. DD is an obligate parasite. While he contributes offensively to Pacioretty and Cole the line is defensively porous. If the Habs had greater depth at forward it could be spotted sgainst the most vulnerable offensive lines. I empathize with poor Plekanec for having to cover for DD. He has to sacrifice his own offense.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

We could have had 2 good lines. We had Eller-AK-Moen working really well earlier.
We tried some things early in the year, but by the time we stayed with DD-MaxPac-Cole, the Eller line got dismantled, for some reason, and then Martin got fired.

But let's not forget the importance of Wiz last year. It's not just Hammer we needed to be replaced, we had to replace Wiz too. Management counted on Markov to do that. It backfired. We should have went into this year with the expectation of this happening, we obviously weren't prepared for it. That was the first mistake. It made us start the year with our #7-8-9 Dmen (Gorges-PK-Gill-Spacek-Campoli-Markov-Weber-Diaz-Emelin).
That was bad, but still, it can be forgotten. It happens to rely on the wrong pieces and suffer from it in a season. That's alright, we could move on from it.
But the decisions he's made because of it through the year are inexcusable. Firing the coaches, going for Kaberle, moving Cammy, even moving AK, have all been mistakes imo.
Too many to just ignore.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:30 AM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Been following this team since 86. Worst season I have EVER experienced.
and whats crazy is the success we had two years ago and how close we were from beating the eventual champs last year ..to this

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:30 AM
pachorella

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post

The fact that our GM banked on Markov's health for this season proves that he is actually a bigger idiot than the crazy fans. Which means that the average crazy habs fan would make a better GM than him since most can agree that the moves he made afterwards were pretty dumb.

What I laugh at the most is when our own GM used the telling fact that X percent of our cap was injured as an excuse to the teams struggles... as if he isn't to blame here.

Mister Gauthier, maybe if you ate something once in awhile you would have better judgement and wiser excuses... Just saying.
and i would say only a crazy average fan would claim that he knows hockey more then a nhl team management group

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:34 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachorella View Post
and i would say only a crazy average fan would claim that he knows hockey more then a nhl team management group
that might be their official title, but one would have to be crazy to think they are deserving of it.

I would say quite a few posters in here would make a better GM than Gauthier; myself being at the very top of that list.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:38 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
and whats crazy is the success we had two years ago and how close we were from beating the eventual champs last year ..to this
which means next year we could easily surprise a lot of people. The NHL is conducive to rapid turnarounds, but it does require the right pieces to fall into place. With good coaching and managament, we're in great shape. If those aren't addressed, tank teams stay tank teams. If you look at the ones who turned their fortunes around, it's clear that the coaches and GMs were integral as well as some smart moves.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:06 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Correction: 7 more losses. There is one "must-win" game left and that is to be the Flyers game.
No, the must win game is against the Leafs the final game of the season. Habs do not want to lose the season series. Series stands at 3-2 Leafs. Let's tie 'er up so no bragging or flaming rights by leaf fans. I'll never hear the end of it from Leaf fans if we lose that game.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
windycity

great night for the tank - Canes and Ducks win

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
“@Richardlabbe: #Habs R.White told me he wanted to fight T.Myers twice for Gomez cheap-shot. Both times Myers said no.”
Somehow I don't think it would have prevented Nilan, Corson or Chelios smashing him in the face. You think the Bruins asked the Habs' numbers when they attacked them last year? White is too nice.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
that might be their official title, but one would have to be crazy to think they are deserving of it.

I would say quite a few posters in here would make a better GM than Gauthier; myself being at the very top of that list.
Please tell us you forgot the sarcasm icon.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:50 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
34 points in his last 36 games and he only shows up once every three games

Imagine how good he'll be when he starts giving some effort

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-22-2012 at 03:09 AM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:51 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
QFT.

However, we are not a bottom feeder team. With Markov healthy and other big and small pieces back from injuries (Gionta, Moen, Darche), this team is surely at least a middle of the pack team. So, with an awesome pick and more maturity with the Ds, it can make this a good team. Get a better coach and another solid defensive D and we're in business.

really... one pick and everything is a-ok ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Vinc360

This season is the most embarrassing ever. It's painful. If Gauthier isn't fired at the end of the year, my loss of interest will almost be impossible to repair. I've never been this bored watching hockey. This year is worse than the last lockout for **** sake...

The only thing hockey-related that excites me right now is the possible comeback of the Nordiques... at least I'd have a B-team to cheer for when the habs play like they did this season.

Can't wait for the playoffs... at least RDS/CBC/TSN will focus on exciting teams so I can get excited about hockey again.

It's really painful to be a Habs fan right now. I don't even feel... anything... for the team.

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:59 AM
ReVeuF

Crossing fingers for a Edmonton winning streak, 2nd overall still accessible !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:03 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reem View Post
Now i know that apparently he has off ice issues .
What issues are that?

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Honestly, I'm not even watching the games anymore ... Just waiting for the season to end and Gainey, Gauthier and Cunneyworth to be fired.

That will be one happy day!
Come on. A little gospel this mornin'! For better days to come! Hallelujah!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Not only it's weak, it's non-existant. He was signed knowing the possible consequence. Even if they didn't know about the setbacks, they know about the possibility of being re-injured. And Gauthier build his D knowing full well about it too. There is NO excuse. Yes, of course, we'd be a better team with him. Just like the Bruins would be a better team with Savard. One day, you need to move on. Now, WE have the chance to have him back and hopefully healthy next season. But there will always be a question mark for him and you HAVE to build a stronger D with in mind that he could go any day. That's the choice you made by signing him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:28 AM
onice

Quote:
QFT.

However, we are not a bottom feeder team. With Markov healthy and other big and small pieces back from injuries (Gionta, Moen, Darche), this team is surely at least a middle of the pack team.
Look again. If we don't have a major influx of talent during the summer, we're not going to be any better next season.

Patches DD Cole
Palushaj Pleks Gionta
LeBlanc Eller Bourque
Moen White Blunden

Geoffrion
Stubitz
Darche

Markov Emelin
Georges Subban
Diaz Kaberle

Gionta needs to go while his value can still bring in something. We need two wingers for Pleks. I don't know how that third line can compete. Le Blanc needs time to develop in the A. Bourque has shown nothing. So we need another two wingers for Eller. Hurray we finally have a 4th line.

On defense we need to ship out Kaberle and bring in at least a 4th d-man although Suter would be nice.

So we need at least two wingers - preferably 4 - and a top d-man. Otherwise, we will be a lottery pick team next year.

And we haven't got much to work with. Gainey/Gauthier have screwed up big time.

Going after Parise & Suter would be a nice start. That only gets us 2 of the 5 pieces we need.

We would have to trade Kaberle, Weber & Gionta for those 3 other pieces. Good luck with that.

Last edited by onice: 03-22-2012 at 06:40 AM.
onice is online now   Reply With Quote