HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks/Kings talk continued

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM
  #176
Derick*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,624
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Yeah but instead of going 0-4 we went 1-4. Improvement!
We're 2 - 8 with Nabokov = )

Same ratio

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
  #177
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Obviously it's not required for a steal, all that is required of a steal is for the goalie's team to get outplayed, yet win as the sole result of his efforts. However we have seen many goalies make unsavable saves, and we have seen many golden chances turn into near-misses because game-stealing goalies get into peoples' heads.

EDIT: That Seguin goal was 99.5% unsavable probably, however it is worth noting that it was physically possible for Niemi to have saved that. His glove hand, however, is nowhere near good enough to make a circus save there.



The puck is arriving at Seguin in this image. Seguin roofed it but he did shoot toward the middle of the net, and it went over Niemi's glove.
there is nobody in the league past or present that has the glove hand that good enough. that goal is scored 10 times out of 10 on every single goalie past and present.

the only way that goal is ever stopped is if the goalie comes back from the future multiple times to try every single scenario that could of happened on that play to realize just what the best way to stop that puck would be.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:54 PM
  #178
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,207
vCash: 500
Oh god this thread is still alive and kicking. Some of you guys may be what some physiologists refer to as "re-livers"

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
  #179
jwhitesj
Registered User
 
jwhitesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
there is nobody in the league past or present that has the glove hand that good enough. that goal is scored 10 times out of 10 on every single goalie past and present.

the only way that goal is ever stopped is if the goalie comes back from the future multiple times to try every single scenario that could of happened on that play to realize just what the best way to stop that puck would be.
You changed the argument from stealing a game to having games where Niemi had a good save percentage. Juantimer tried to make that clear earlier but you than sidetracked the argument again. That's a strawman argument.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:24 AM
  #180
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding
 
Barrie22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitesj View Post
You changed the argument from stealing a game to having games where Niemi had a good save percentage. Juantimer tried to make that clear earlier but you than sidetracked the argument again. That's a strawman argument.
a good save% is .915-.930, a great save% is anything above. especially when you are reaching .950+ for a good chunk of games.

in the games i picked, he has allowed 12 goals.

in the 12 games that i said he stole he has a 1.00 goals against average. (give or take since that doesn't count over time periods). and a .968 save% in those 12 games.

and those 12 games isn't even all that i could of chosen from, i could of chosen his january 4th game against the ducks (26 saves, .963 save%), jan 7th against the caps (28 saves, .933 save%), jan 12th against the jets (shutout on 24 shots), feb 23rd against toronto (29 saves, .967 save%).

oh and another thing, how did i change the subject by bringing up stats of games where i think niemi was great in? ever hear of difference of opinions?

edit: and arguing over points made against my post, isn't changing the subject either. it is just a conversation/argument over details about another area of the conversation.


Last edited by Barrie22: 03-22-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:53 AM
  #181
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ
 
Brent Burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Coming in hot
Posts: 6,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
there is nobody in the league past or present that has the glove hand that good enough. that goal is scored 10 times out of 10 on every single goalie past and present.

the only way that goal is ever stopped is if the goalie comes back from the future multiple times to try every single scenario that could of happened on that play to realize just what the best way to stop that puck would be.


Never say never homie


Last edited by Brent Burns: 03-22-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
  #182
jwhitesj
Registered User
 
jwhitesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
a good save% is .915-.930, a great save% is anything above. especially when you are reaching .950+ for a good chunk of games.

in the games i picked, he has allowed 12 goals.

in the 12 games that i said he stole he has a 1.00 goals against average. (give or take since that doesn't count over time periods). and a .968 save% in those 12 games.

and those 12 games isn't even all that i could of chosen from, i could of chosen his january 4th game against the ducks (26 saves, .963 save%), jan 7th against the caps (28 saves, .933 save%), jan 12th against the jets (shutout on 24 shots), feb 23rd against toronto (29 saves, .967 save%).

oh and another thing, how did i change the subject by bringing up stats of games where i think niemi was great in? ever hear of difference of opinions?

edit: and arguing over points made against my post, isn't changing the subject either. it is just a conversation/argument over details about another area of the conversation.
That's a rediculous argument. I'm not even arguing with or against you or juantimer at this point, just your method of evidence. A one game sample size is too small to use a statistic like save % anyways. even over the course of an entire season it has been argued that save % alone is not an ideal statistic to use for judging a goalies performance. Variance will play a huge role in save % over a 20-40 shot sample size, it's not even until you get to atleast 500 saves that you can even begin looking at save % as a meaningful stat, even then the sample size is pretty small. On top of that you are picking and choosing saves you want to include in the sample and you pick out 12 games from a ~60 starts for Niemi.

jwhitesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:07 AM
  #183
maryb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
odd.

actually liking a ray ratto article.

maryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:32 AM
  #184
SJSharksfan39
Registered User
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,972
vCash: 438
You know there is a ton of talk about how there is 9 games left and the Sharks still have a shot. I'm thinking about this team today and hearing various comments and I think my problem with the team is I don't see them improving and really getting out of this slump. Perhaps I'm wrong because I haven't looked at the stats, but I see players like Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Clowe not do anything and they are the core players on this team. Marleau and Thornton are the seasoned veterans and they have either been really inconsistent, or just invisible. I looked at the schedule today and the last time they scored 4 or more goals was the game against Tampa Bay, and they lost 6-5 in OT. That was 18 games ago and now with 9 games left, I don't have confidence they will improve.

Also, I'm almost leaning towards the direction of hoping the Sharks don't make the playoffs. They make the playoffs, the status quo is in tact. They don't make the playoffs, and there might be some meaningful soul searching with this franchise and maybe moving in a new direction. I don't want T-Mac to come back, I want the team to get younger, and I really want to see a change in direction. Until then I just see more of the same for the next 9 games and that's really unfortunate.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:36 AM
  #185
Iron Chef
Registered User
 
Iron Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
They make the playoffs, the status quo is in tact. They don't make the playoffs, and there might be some meaningful soul searching with this franchise and maybe moving in a new direction. I don't want T-Mac to come back, I want the team to get younger, and I really want to see a change in direction. Until then I just see more of the same for the next 9 games and that's really unfortunate.
I have to respectfully disagree. The goal for this team is to at the very least make the cup finals, because that's an improvement over the past 2 years. The way I see it, making the conference finals again will mean more tweaking, but anything short of that means much bigger changes. So I don't think people should be hoping that we don't make the playoffs if thats their reasoning behind it.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:41 AM
  #186
SJSharksfan39
Registered User
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,972
vCash: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The goal for this team is to at the very least make the cup finals, because that's an improvement over the past 2 years. The way I see it, making the conference finals again will mean more tweaking, but anything short of that means much bigger changes. So I don't think people should be hoping that we don't make the playoffs if thats their reasoning behind it.
But I want them to make bigger changes. Like you say, the team has always come up short in the playoffs and this year they might not even make it. After so many years of this, it's time to take the team in a new direction.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:41 AM
  #187
Arz1
Registered User
 
Arz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
You know there is a ton of talk about how there is 9 games left and the Sharks still have a shot. I'm thinking about this team today and hearing various comments and I think my problem with the team is I don't see them improving and really getting out of this slump. Perhaps I'm wrong because I haven't looked at the stats, but I see players like Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and Clowe not do anything and they are the core players on this team. Marleau and Thornton are the seasoned veterans and they have either been really inconsistent, or just invisible. I looked at the schedule today and the last time they scored 4 or more goals was the game against Tampa Bay, and they lost 6-5 in OT. That was 18 games ago and now with 9 games left, I don't have confidence they will improve.

Also, I'm almost leaning towards the direction of hoping the Sharks don't make the playoffs. They make the playoffs, the status quo is in tact. They don't make the playoffs, and there might be some meaningful soul searching with this franchise and maybe moving in a new direction. I don't want T-Mac to come back, I want the team to get younger, and I really want to see a change in direction. Until then I just see more of the same for the next 9 games and that's really unfortunate.


It sure feels like most of the fans here don't want to accept the fact that this core is pretty much done, and I mean done what it comes to contending. Too bad we are stuck with their NMC's for a few more years because I just don't see them coming back next year or the year after and winning it all. Im glad if they prove me wrong though.

Arz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:37 AM
  #188
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Perhaps I'm wrong because I haven't looked at the stats,
You're partially wrong, because you haven't looked at the stats. JT and Marleau have been beasts for a while and through the slump from hell. Lately though Marleau has had an off game, and those were the 2 crap games just recently ... maybe Marleau has more effect on this team than we give him credit for?

I believe it is often said that he draws top defensive attention rather than Thornton ...

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:40 AM
  #189
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular combo
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
I believe it is often said that he draws top defensive attention rather than Thornton ...
If TMac gets his way, Marleau will get the top defensive attention most of the the time. It depends on the coach they are facing though. I know Babcock always sends out his top-unit to face whatever line Thornton is on.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:43 AM
  #190
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
If TMac gets his way, Marleau will get the top defensive attention most of the the time. It depends on the coach they are facing though. I know Babcock always sends out his top-unit to face whatever line Thornton is on.
I suppose it does make sense to put the top D on the best goalscorer we have.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.