HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worse Trade?

View Poll Results: Worse Trade in recent Habs History
Gomez - Bad contract for Stud defenseman 31 17.71%
Roy - Franchise goalie for 3 average players 125 71.43%
Savard - Denis on back end of his career Chelios was defenseman of the '90s 12 6.86%
Turgeon - Habs never recovered his 100 points 2 1.14%
Langway - Hall of Fame defenseman, Engblom and Jarvis were worth Green and Walter 2 1.14%
Lemieux - A decade of good playoff hockey left in Claude for virtually nil in return 3 1.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-22-2012, 06:10 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

vCash: 500
Worse Trade?

With Gomez talk lately wondering what was worse trade in Habs history?

Last edited by FiveForDrawingBlood: 03-22-2012 at 06:18 AM.
FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:11 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Off the top of my head: Roy AINEC.

And what adds salt to the wound is the fact that Keaner was a part of that trade as well.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Easily the Roy trade. Not so much that they traded him but they should have shopped him around the league and gotten a WAY better return. It was brutal.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Actually it's Leclaire, Desjardins, Dionne for Dr. Recchi (and 3rd rnd pick). Team has still not recovered.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Easily the Roy trade. Not so much that they traded him but they should have shopped him around the league and gotten a WAY better return. It was brutal.
It should never have gotten to that point...you know letting him in for 8 goals and having him force a trade. Thibeault was a good young goalie, but they should ahve gotten a 1st and a top prospect instead of Rucinsky and Kovalenko(neither were bad players but not great long term value).

Tremblay and him never got along, Tremblay was as a bad a coach as Houle was a GM, thanks dumbass Corey.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:42 AM
Estimated_Prophet

The Leclair/Desjardins for Recchi was brutal as was the Chelios for Savard trade.

Hard to argue with the Roy trade though......I think everyone knew that Thibault was going to be targeted as he was easily the top goaltending prospect in hockey at the time but I thought that Nolan and Deadmarsh should have been the forwards coming back to us.

There have been 4 trades that caused me to nearly throw up in my mouth when they were announced.......the three that I just mentioned and the Gomez trade.

Honorable mention to the Kaberle trade as I absolutely abhor him as a player and was looking forward to seeing Spacek's cap hit off of the books.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Schooner Guy

Chelios and 2nd for Savard

Habs brass were worried Chelios was on the verge of becoming injury prone. He only played until age 46 with some Norris trophies and a couple more rings.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:02 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Chelios and 2nd for Savard

Habs brass were worried Chelios was on the verge of becoming injury prone. He only played until age 46 with some Norris trophies and a couple more rings.
Serge Savard was told directly by the doctors that Chelios wouldn't have a long career. Savard acted on that report. Yet, surely, he could have done better than that.

The Leclair-Desjardins for Reechi is bad....but not awful bad. Reechi did end up giving us some good seasons despite Leclair being lights out and all but it's not like we didn't receive anything. But we had to be more patient with a guy like Leclair. Great news about that is that the future management learned and ended up being more patient with the kids...

The Roy one will always be the worst.

The Gomez one will be top 5. Yet, it can move up in the rankings based on how great a career McDonagh will have. What if McDo wins the Norris one day?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:06 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Gomez trade didn't have an impact like the Roy to colorado one

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

If not for the salary cap I don't think anybody would have questionned the Gomez trade. It's the 7.35 mil cap hit that made it bad. Obviously he's struggled the last 2 years, but the weight of his contract surely had an impact on that.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Beakermania*

Turgeon-Corson trade was horrid too. Should be in the top 5 or so.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Serge Savard was told directly by the doctors that Chelios wouldn't have a long career. Savard acted on that report. Yet, surely, he could have done better than that.

The Leclair-Desjardins for Reechi is bad....but not awful bad. Reechi did end up giving us some good seasons despite Leclair being lights out and all but it's not like we didn't receive anything. But we had to be more patient with a guy like Leclair. Great news about that is that the future management learned and ended up being more patient with the kids...

The Roy one will always be the worst.

The Gomez one will be top 5. Yet, it can move up in the rankings based on how great a career McDonagh will have. What if McDo wins the Norris one day?
How ironic that a Habs GM gets bad info from Habs doctors. Trading Chelios again would not have been bad if we hadn't gotten a guy on his last legs.

Leclair would not have been the player he was in Phillie here, playing with Lindros(and Renberg also contributed) made him into a 50 goal scorer. I think he would have been a 75-80 point guy in Montreal at best.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

I would definitely replace the Turgeon trade on the list. That one wasn't anything like some of the other disasters up there. I don't even want to think about most of those long enough to decide which was worst.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Turgeon-Corson trade was horrid too. Should be in the top 5 or so.
Nah......Turgeon was a soft floater.

Great skill but he was not a winner. For me it was kind of a meh trade.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Actually it's Leclaire, Desjardins, Dionne for Dr. Recchi (and 3rd rnd pick). Team has still not recovered.
This is the correct answer and my avatar cries with you. It is my hope that Max Pacioretty is the reincarnation of the guy to my left. Please God let it be, and also god, make some way for us to get Radulov.

Craig71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

/thread

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:13 AM
Sam I Am

Right up there with the Patrick Roy and Chris Chelios massacres there's this:

Ryan Walter was traded to the Montreal Canadiens in a blockbuster trade in 1982. He went to Montreal along with Rick Green in exchange for Doug Jarvis, Rod Langway, Craig Laughlin and Brian Engblom.

Ouch. Walter played a minor role in the Habs winning the cup in 1986. Green, though painfully slow and prone to gaffes, settled down and stabilized the defence. Langway flourished in Washington, winning Norris trophies in the following two seasons. Engblom and Jarvis provided many more years of good service.

In the post-lockout, it's more complicated. Trades must be evaluated through the prism of the salary cap. The Scott Gomez deal is a double threat: as awful as it is from a hockey point of view, it's even worse when you begin to think about the cap implications. A terrible, terrible trade.

Last edited by Sam I Am: 03-22-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:30 AM
habitue*

The Roy trade was bad (adding Keane on top of that). As was the Chelios one. You just don't ****ing trade warriors like that.

But the second worst one must be the Ribeiro trade. With Ribeiro withe the team, you don't need the next one................Gomez !!!

As for Gomez, just taking his sick contract was dumb as hell. It just happened that McDonagh came up as advertised - a top-two d-man !!!

The mismanagement of our younger assets is sickening too: Lapierre, Latendresse, the Kost Bros, Grabovski, O'Byrne... And I might add, promoting Price too early and trading Halak !

Letting Ryder and Streit go as UFA was bad enough.

And now they are ruining Leblanc.

The return on Cammy's and AK's deals are questionable.

How much more damage can they do ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Nah......Turgeon was a soft floater.

Great skill but he was not a winner. For me it was kind of a meh trade.
Corson was good for half a year

I'm no huge Turgeon fan, and I agree he was a soft floater but we got nothing for him.

Shouldve got more for a 90 pt guy

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:50 AM
DenverHabsFan

I voted Roy because that clearly marked the end of the glory days. Other trades listed were awful but with Roy gone, so did the identity of this franchise.

I guess it all depends on how far back your memories of the Habs go. I've been watching since the early 80's. The Chelios trade was awful but the team won a cup after and was still competing.

The Desjardins-Leclair debacle is a close 2nd because it happened after the 93 cup and close to the Roy trade so you could argue that the combination of those two trades sank the franchise.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Depends on how you measure "worst."

The worst trade in terms of impact was Patrick Roy. Complete ripoff for a HOF player in his prime. Basically set the team back to the stone age, plus we never did a proper rebuild after that.

The worst trade in terms of 'wrongheadedness' though? It's got to be the Gomez trade.

At least with Roy management HAD to trade him. The return was pitiful, it was an awful trade and killed us forever, but at least management could claim that Roy forced their hand into a deal. The Gomez trade on the other hand is a complete mystery as to why it was made in the first place. It was completely unecessary. We deal for a grossly overpaid player that NY couldn't wait to get rid of PLUS we give up Higgins. We could've just kept Koivu for a fraction of the money and similar production. Instead we provide cap space for a rival to go after a UFA that we could've gone after ourselves. That alone makes it a really bad trade. But... to throw in a guy who was considered our best prospect at the time for absolutely no reason? WTF was Gainey thinking here? People talk about how Burke screwed the Leafs with his deal (and they're right) but at least you can see the rationale behind the move. He gambled and lost on that trade. In our case there's just absolutely no defense for needlessly throwing in McD into a deal that was ALREADY bad. McD is already a top pairing guy over in NY and is a stud. There's a very real possibility that we might've even been able to make the playoffs this season with him in the lineup vs. Gomez who has turned out to be absolutely useless.

So, Roy trade vs. Gomez trade? I refuse to vote one over the other because both of these moves were so mindblowingly stupid that I can't bring myself to vote against either one of them. Let's just say that we are where we are today largely because of these two moves.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
I think it comes down to the Gomez trade vs. the Roy trade. In my opinion, the Roy trade was a disaster that set the Canadiens back over a decade. The Gomez trade, while awful, was actually a byproduct of a past mistake made. One that was even worse than the Gomez trade itself.

Ribeiro for a guy who's ten seconds of fame was looking at the camera while a photo was taken. If Ribeiro had not been traded and this organization had the patience to deal with Ribeiro's attitude and realized his skill-set, the Habs would not have had to replace him at centre by bringing in Gomez later on. With Ribeiro here, Gomez would have not been an option and McDonaugh would be tearing it up on the blue-line.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
No way. Recchi was at least a good player for us. Highly, highly doubt that LeClaire ever would have broke out had he stayed in Montreal.

The Roy trade is easily the worst.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:04 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
At least with Roy management HAD to trade him. The return was pitiful, it was an awful trade and killed us forever, but at least management could claim that Roy forced their hand into a deal.
I remember that night like it was yesterday and I still don't understand why they had to trade him right away. Yes, the blow up was public and he asked for a trade but a more mature management group would have told him to calm down and see if they can work out differences. If they couldn't work things out, they should have waited for the best time to maximize the return.

Blow ups happen all the time and sometimes things can be resolved. Always more drama here. Heck, as bad as Howson is with CBJ, he held firm in the Nash derby hoping to get an insane return.

It seems to be a pattern with this organization to panic and dump players because they show the finger, say or do something bad in public or are rumored to have slept with the president's wife. You would think they could tough it out until they can get fair value.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:07 AM
Erik Estrada

The Gomez trade has some aggravating circumstances...
-Cap didn't exist before
-You could pick up a guy worth several millions and cover you mistake by spending more money.
-It was much easier to make trades back then.
-You were only limited by your pocketbook.
-Gomez was a hugely overpaid vet, McDonagh was a stud first round D on an entry-level contract.
-The draft cleared room for another team in our Conference to sign Gaborik.
-Trade helped the Rangers become a Stanley Cup contender.
-Trade helped us to become one of the worst teams in hockey.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote