HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan Suspended 3 Games For Elbow To Jamie Benn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2012, 10:30 PM
  #76
O23L
Worst tank ever.
 
O23L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Oh they are, and it's hilarious.
Hahaha you're right. This is more fun than watching Benn cry.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:37 PM
  #77
Muppet
Howlin' For You
 
Muppet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 3,688
vCash: 500
Bwahaha. Honestly, I expected five games, and he probably deserved it. As soon as I heard it was three, I knew the Dallas ******** and "Because his team is owned by the NHL" comments would flow.


Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
  #78
killcrypt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 288
vCash: 500
Doan needs the rest anyways.

killcrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:43 PM
  #79
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Bwahaha. Honestly, I expected five games, and he probably deserved it. As soon as I heard it was three, I knew the Dallas ******** and "Because his team is owned by the NHL" comments would flow.
They really need some better ammunition. The whole owned by the NHL, not going to have a team, it's so overused it's stale to this point.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:48 PM
  #80
O23L
Worst tank ever.
 
O23L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
Bwahaha. Honestly, I expected five games, and he probably deserved it. As soon as I heard it was three, I knew the Dallas ******** and "Because his team is owned by the NHL" comments would flow.


O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:52 PM
  #81
awfulwaffle
Registered User
 
awfulwaffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,721
vCash: 500

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:55 PM
  #82
O23L
Worst tank ever.
 
O23L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, Az.
Country: United States
Posts: 5,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Ok, I'm ready to die now.

O23L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
  #83
doaner
Registered User
 
doaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Flag
Country: United States
Posts: 3,757
vCash: 500
Doan better come back after the susp pissed and ready to contribute, other than to the emergency fund.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:06 PM
  #84
mitch27
Registered User
 
mitch27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,360
vCash: 500
God that Benn gif will never get old. I never thought I'd see the day where an NHL player would cry after being hit

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:18 PM
  #85
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler
 
SonicSpeedDash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Amarillo, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 3,455
vCash: 500
Dallas fan here, he got 3 games. Fair enough. Not mad or ********.

SonicSpeedDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:18 PM
  #86
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
An elbow is an elbow and there was nothing special about this elbow. It did not occur at speed and the little wimp didn't even have a red mark on his baby face. If we're going to agree that suspensions should be tossed out whenever the head is targeted, we'll be eliminating fighting.... or at least (over time) players that fight.

Think about it, a fight targets the head and no suspensions are implemented. Some common sense needs to be implemented here and I can't agree with this suspension, or the amount of the fine!

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
  #87
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?
 
Naych_PHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: phoenix
Posts: 5,671
vCash: 500
Uh... hitting someone with your bare fist is different that a flying cornered solid elbow pad. It was a cheap lil thing to do. 3 games is about what I figured. Benn still sucks.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:47 PM
  #88
MMDrumAZ
Registered User
 
MMDrumAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phx W. Valley
Country: United States
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Here's tonight's hit on Sedin, courtesy Duncan Keith. This one is blatant and looks intentional. Doan's hit pales in comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xz5tiYSHGY

MMDrumAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:17 AM
  #89
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Uh... hitting someone with your bare fist is different that a flying cornered solid elbow pad. It was a cheap lil thing to do. 3 games is about what I figured. Benn still sucks.

The game is chock full of little cheap shots, always has been and it ain't for wimps.

Who knows what the future holds.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:22 AM
  #90
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDrumMan View Post
Here's tonight's hit on Sedin, courtesy Duncan Keith. This one is blatant and looks intentional. Doan's hit pales in comparison. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xz5tiYSHGY

Agreed. You could make a case for a fine and perhaps suspension on the Keith hit. Shanabans own analysis can not muster any proof beyond a simple elbowing penalty, regarding Doans


Last edited by kihekah19: 03-22-2012 at 01:30 AM.
kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:42 AM
  #91
kihekah19
Registered User
 
kihekah19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 2,223
vCash: 500
First let me apologize to any of you who would like to see this league and great game taken over by a bunch of candy *** wimps, but the more I think about this, the more ridiculous the suspension becomes.

I am sick up and fed (thanks Cheech) with guys dropping to their knees in full dive mode. This is a game played by men, but not always men of honor. Oh I know diving has gone on for years and years. I've personally had team mates who were prolific at the art of the dive and I for one was never impressed. I also believe the exaggerated head jerk (upon being hit with an opponents stick), along with other exaggerations designed to guarantee a call are ridiculous... man up and play the game boys!

If Benn honestly can't handle what little was thrown his way last night, any better than he appeared to, perhaps he'd better find a less hazardous occupation!

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:59 AM
  #92
RemoAZ
Stugots
 
RemoAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Glendale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
First let me apologize to any of you who would like to see this league and great game taken over by a bunch of candy *** wimps, but the more I think about this, the more ridiculous the suspension becomes.

I am sick up and fed (thanks Cheech) with guys dropping to their knees in full dive mode. This is a game played by men, but not always men of honor. Oh I know diving has gone on for years and years. I've personally had team mates who were prolific at the art of the dive and I for one was never impressed. I also believe the exaggerated head jerk (upon being hit with an opponents stick), along with other exaggerations designed to guarantee a call are ridiculous... man up and play the game boys!

If Benn honestly can't handle what little was thrown his way last night, any better than he appeared to, perhaps he'd better find a less hazardous occupation!
I would love to see dives get scrutinized and penalized by the NHL. That certainly would help validate the stance of protecting players. Seeing how the officials are going after hard hits gives the cowards that dive even more encouragement. Let diving stay in the NBA where it belongs.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:11 AM
  #93
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Anxiety Closet
Country: United States
Posts: 3,735
vCash: 500
Was just looking at a slo-mo replay of the hit and came to the following conclusions.

1) Doan's elbow did get Benn's chin.
2) Benn embellished the contact afterwards.
3) Doan's suspension was warranted.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:56 AM
  #94
MIG
Undocumented User
 
MIG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: U.S. of A.
Country: United States
Posts: 525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Was just looking at a slo-mo replay of the hit and came to the following conclusions.

1) Doan's elbow did get Benn's chin.
2) Benn embellished the contact afterwards.
3) Doan's suspension was warranted.
1) Doan's elbow did get Benn's chin.
2) Benn embellished the contact afterwards.
3) Doan's suspension was warranted.
4) Doan is Captain Coyote, a not so mythical superhero who rescues damsels in distress and kittens stuck in trees.
5) Benn is a crybaby.

MIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
  #95
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Was just looking at a slo-mo replay of the hit and came to the following conclusions.

1) Doan's elbow did get Benn's chin.
2) Benn embellished the contact afterwards.
3) Doan's suspension was warranted.
I think the NHL is smart enough to look past any embellishment. I expected 2 games and he got 3; likely because of the reoccurring offender playing into it. It's fair. It's deserved.

As for the shots against Doan and his character. There's a lot of fans of other teams that don't like playing against Doan because he's a hard player to play against. You have to weed out those who just want the Coyotes eliminated from the playoff race or those who have a grudge against the Shanahan wheel of justice in general.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:23 AM
  #96
Kaizen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Prince George B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
I would love to see dives get scrutinized and penalized by the NHL. That certainly would help validate the stance of protecting players. Seeing how the officials are going after hard hits gives the cowards that dive even more encouragement. Let diving stay in the NBA where it belongs.
Embellishment is already penalized.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
  #97
texashockeyguy
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
All Boards are the same

All suspensions for your teams are not warranted and the guy who committed the attrocities against your team is a thug who does not warrant the right to continue to live. Let's face it, Doan threw the elbow, hit Jamie in the jaw, but it certainly was not a malicous hit by any means, if Doan wanted to he could have taken Benn's head of there, if Benn does not fall down, nothing happens--maybe a penalty but thats about it. However, let me be clear about one thing as I have watched this kid since he has been in Juniors. Benn does not dive. However, the Stars lately can't buy a call. The went a game and 1/2 without drawing one damn penaltly. Other than Otter (who does not get the calls anyway because everyone hates him--hehe), we don't have one guy on the team who dives. Which in all reality hurts us. My guess is that's why Jamie layed out on the play. It sucks that it caused your guy to get suspended, but if your smart, fighting for a playoff spot, it honestly is probably the right thing to do. I agree that something needs to be done to stop diving. But every team does it, and honestly, at least right now, the best teams/players at doing it are rewarded the most.

texashockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:17 AM
  #98
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashockeyguy View Post
All suspensions for your teams are not warranted and the guy who committed the attrocities against your team is a thug who does not warrant the right to continue to live. Let's face it, Doan threw the elbow, hit Jamie in the jaw, but it certainly was not a malicous hit by any means, if Doan wanted to he could have taken Benn's head of there, if Benn does not fall down, nothing happens--maybe a penalty but thats about it. However, let me be clear about one thing as I have watched this kid since he has been in Juniors. Benn does not dive. However, the Stars lately can't buy a call. The went a game and 1/2 without drawing one damn penaltly. Other than Otter (who does not get the calls anyway because everyone hates him--hehe), we don't have one guy on the team who dives. Which in all reality hurts us. My guess is that's why Jamie layed out on the play. It sucks that it caused your guy to get suspended, but if your smart, fighting for a playoff spot, it honestly is probably the right thing to do. I agree that something needs to be done to stop diving. But every team does it, and honestly, at least right now, the best teams/players at doing it are rewarded the most.

Good post. I actually really liked the comments made by Benn and the Stars coach afterwards. I think the matter is resolved but we'll see the next time these two clubs play (if Doan is still part of the franchise at that point). Doan deserved something no question. I really don't have an issue with the 3 games. Good luck to the Stars. It's going to be a fun final stretch if all the games have that much intensity.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:37 AM
  #99
Scottrocks58*
Six
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 3,066
vCash: 500
Benn looked like a Ballerina who took a punch to the head. He's a girl. While Doan's suspension was warranted, I hope that Benn has a target on his back next season.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:39 AM
  #100
hbk
Registered User
 
hbk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Benn looked like a Ballerina who took a punch to the head. He's a girl. While Doan's suspension was warranted, I hope that Benn has a target on his back next season.
It doesn't matter.

Honestly, I would take Benn on my team any day. He's a great player.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.