HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings’ Anze Kopitar: Just Another Streak, Or...?

Old
03-22-2012, 07:16 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:35 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
boring with 50% of that article based your opinions that drive the players to their quotes alla Patrick O'Neal interviews. Sorry doesn't cut it for me.

Still keep up the good work for others.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
boring with 50% of that article based your opinions that drive the players to their quotes alla Patrick O'Neal interviews. Sorry doesn't cut it for me.

Still keep up the good work for others.
"opinions that drive the players to their quotes?"

Could you elaborate please? Thanks.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
"opinions that drive the players to their quotes?"

Could you elaborate please? Thanks.
Interviews based on statements for example like:
Q:Coach your team had a productive 4th line tonight. How did you like Clifford scoring?
A:That's what we are preeaching, blablabla, that's what we need, right?

Q:King is looking great on the 2nd line. What do you think about him, what does he add to the 2nd line play?
A:Winning puck battles, yadayada, succesfull line, we need it, right?

//I hate when journalists/questioneer first make an answer to the question that follows.

In your case I personally don't like the way the article is formulated:
Example:
Quote:
Perhaps the greatest beneficiary of Carter’s presence on the Kings’ second line has been center Anze Kopitar, who has played like a superstar of late, scoring seven goals and adding seven assists for 14 points in the last twelve games. He has also scored four goals with three assists for seven points in his last four games, which includes a four-game goal scoring streak, tying a career-high.

“With Jeff in the lineup, he’s been giving us some scoring that we needed, and everybody else picked it up, too, including myself,” said Kopitar. “It’s fair to say the scoring has come around [for himself], and the playmaking ability is there. I’m a lot more relaxed out there than I was before, and that certainly helps.”
You already state the same thing (green) that's gonna follow by a players quote (orange).

I appreciate you putting up the hard work to make them.
No hard feelings, eh?

ps: Me, being fed up today doesn't help either.

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Weep for yourself, my Gann,
You'll never be what is in your heart
Weep little lion Gann,
You're not as brave as you were at the start
Rate yourself and rake yourself,
Take all the courage you have left
Waste it on fixing all the problems
That you made in your own head

But it was not your fault but mine
And it was your heart on the line
I really ****ed it up this time
Didn't I my dear?
Didn't I my...

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:09 AM
no name

Come on Gann. That's a tabloid title.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
johnjm22

Thanks for the article Gann.

Kopitar's longest scoring drought this season is 3 games. Yet he gets classified as a streaky player.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:13 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Thanks for the article Gann.

Kopitar's longest scoring drought this season is 3 games. Yet he gets classified as a streaky player.
And that 3 game drought has only happened once, at the end of November. Last year he only had one 3+ game pointless streak as well, at 4 games. 09-10 he had two (one 3 and one 4 game).

For all of our talk about his consistency, he manages to put points on the board pretty damn consistently. I know that the real consistency people talk about is the difference between streaks like 14 points in 11 games (current) versus 11 points in 15 games (December), but all players are a bit streaky like that. Hitting PPG doesn't mean you're actually scoring a point every game, there's always great streaks and light times.

Last edited by FootKnight: 03-22-2012 at 11:20 AM.
FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Again too much focus on statistics. No one expects Kopitar to get a point in every single game, but having his longest point scoring drought be only 3 games doesn't mean he is doing the job he should be doing at all times.

During his long periods of "absence" he simply does not move his feet in the offensive zone, nor does he take the puck to the middle of the ice with authority. He has been doing that now for the last 10-12 games and the results are fantastic.

Now I don't expect him to play every game of an 82 game schedule like some kind of demon, but it's not acceptable for him to play on the perimeter for half the games in the regular season. More of what we are getting now and less perimeter play in the future would be fine.

I don't mind at all when he takes a goalie interference penalty. He can get called for that 10-15 times a season as far as I'm concerned, because it means he has put himself in a position to do some damage.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Again too much focus on statistics. No one expects Kopitar to get a point in every single game, but having his longest point scoring drought be only 3 games doesn't mean he is doing the job he should be doing at all times.
Do you dislike the numbers because they don't agree with you? Well, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a player who never has hot and cold streaks, plus has the energy to kill as many penalties as he does, take on tough defensive assigments, and carry the scoring.

How about the Kings start using him more like Malkin, and less like Jordan Staal? As we've seen since Carter's arrival, that helps.

Every player can improve, but it seems like he's constantly underappreciated. It's strange to me.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:53 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Weird how Brown and Kopitar seem to be playing much better, more consistent hockey AFTER they were criticized in the press.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:56 AM
damacles1156

Again some of you guys are not seeing the Beef people have with Kopitar turninig himself into a passive player.

When your team struggles, Kopitar needs to do more than skate the puck to safe areas and pass it off(offense wise).

So he had some assists during his goaless streak, great....The Kings needed more from him.

It's not ok for Mike or Kopitar to not score goals for 15+ games a year.

They both need to bring it nightly.

See how the Sharks had trouble handling Kopitar's size and speed ?

Kopitar can do that nightly if he wanted too.

Last edited by damacles1156: 03-22-2012 at 12:05 PM.
damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Pucknut50

Funny to me is how everybody is defending Kopitar now that the Kings are winning and he is scoring goals again. Kopitar is streaky, when people say streaky is means "Scoring goals" not points. When you play over 20 min a game as a center on the #1 line you can pick up an assist here and there just being on the ice. When you go 17 games without scoring a goal that is not considered consistent.

Guys a couple of weeks ago there were replies a plenty about Kopi and his play or lack there of. People replied about his love of the half boards.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Do you dislike the numbers because they don't agree with you? Well, you'd be hard pressed to come up with a player who never has hot and cold streaks, plus has the energy to kill as many penalties as he does, take on tough defensive assigments, and carry the scoring.

How about the Kings start using him more like Malkin, and less like Jordan Staal? As we've seen since Carter's arrival, that helps.

Every player can improve, but it seems like he's constantly underappreciated. It's strange to me.
At 6-5 and 235+ lbs., with the kind of speed and agility Kopitar has, his numbers are not all that. He isn't underappreciated and I am all for cutting his PK time a bit it that's what it takes to get him driving the middle like he is now on a more consistent basis.

That crap he was doing before in terms of entering the zone along the boards, staying there, then going behind the net before throwing a pass back to the point was almost useless.

Old
03-22-2012, 01:43 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
At 6-5 and 235+ lbs., with the kind of speed and agility Kopitar has, his numbers are not all that. He isn't underappreciated and I am all for cutting his PK time a bit it that's what it takes to get him driving the middle like he is now on a more consistent basis.

That crap he was doing before in terms of entering the zone along the boards, staying there, then going behind the net before throwing a pass back to the point was almost useless.
I would be in favor of Cutting his PK time too ZERO; if he would go to the net more.

Kopitar is too big, too strong/fast, to be playing a passive behind the net game.

Like I said it's not ok for Mike, Drew, Kopitar, to go 15+ games a year with no goals.

The Kings can't afford these guys to do that yearly.

I hope this is the new Kopitar.

Sutter has had a player like him before, Iginla has said Sutter was great for his career.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Choralone

Quote:
Q:Coach your team had a productive 4th line tonight. How did you like Clifford scoring?

Q:King is looking great on the 2nd line. What do you think about him, what does he add to the 2nd line play?

//I hate when journalists/questioneer first make an answer to the question that follows.

Example:

You already state the same thing (green) that's gonna follow by a players quote (orange).

No hard feelings, eh?

He has short paragraphs that introduce the quote and place it in context. That doesn't mean he (or someone else) actually made those leading statements to the player, which seems to be what you're inferring.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Scottkmlps

I really don't think this is a streak. He's playing more relaxed since the addition of Carter. In my opinion, the addition of a 30+ goal scorer has taken a lot of pressure off him to be the offensive catalyst every night. It's also taken teams top pairing d-men off him on many nights because the addition of Carter to the 2nd line.
Kopi's having fun again playing the game. In my opinion, he's playing the best he ever has in a Kings uni, and a motivated, excited and fun playing Kopi equals trouble for other teams.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Weird how Brown and Kopitar seem to be playing much better, more consistent hockey AFTER they were criticized in the press.
Would they be criticized in the press if they were playing well? And if they were criticized by the press, they must have been playing well at some point before that to warrant the criticism of their dropoff in play. And if they were playing well at this point, was it a shot fired through the media that spurred them on before that?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:52 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Funny to me is how everybody is defending Kopitar now that the Kings are winning and he is scoring goals again. Kopitar is streaky, when people say streaky is means "Scoring goals" not points. When you play over 20 min a game as a center on the #1 line you can pick up an assist here and there just being on the ice. When you go 17 games without scoring a goal that is not considered consistent.

Guys a couple of weeks ago there were replies a plenty about Kopi and his play or lack there of. People replied about his love of the half boards.
Well blow me down -- who new? And just how many players in the league have managed at least one puny assist (or an occasional goal) every game? Ten. That's it. Ten ppg players. It is hard to score anything in the NHL and there aren't any pity points out there.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
Well blow me down -- who new? And just how many players in the league have managed at least one puny assist (or an occasional goal) every game? Ten. That's it. Ten ppg players. It is hard to score anything in the NHL and there aren't any pity points out there.
And Kopitar can be one of those 10 next season if he gets his ass off the boards and drives the middle of the ice.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Well blow me down
Holy ****! It's Popeye!

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:47 PM
HookKing

Quote:
And Kopitar can be one of those 10 next season if he gets his ass off the boards and drives the middle of the ice.
We all want to desperately believe that don't we?

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:04 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
We all want to desperately believe that don't we?
Only thing stopping him is the mind and will of Anze Kopitar.

Old
03-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Asheru

Quote:

I really think you take wanting Kopitar to be better to such an extent that you dismiss all the good things he does for this team even when he's not scoring. I don't get it, and I never will, I suppose. He could score a goal per game if he only tried harder! Why aren't you Jordan Staal with 40 goals!? Pfft.

Our GM finally gets us depth at forward (Gagne and Penner and Hunter and Moreau didn't work out sadly). That will help.

But they could have asked Kopitar to focus solely on offense at any point in his career. Terry Murray had a dynamic player and remolded him.

The Kings will always overload their best players and then sit around wondering why their scoring isn't higher. They could turn Stamkos into a 23 goal player. And everyone would be tutting about his potential.

Asheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:40 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:

Example:

No hard feelings, eh?

Appreciate the feedback. However, perhaps you've got me pegged as a beat writer, rather than being more of a columnist?