HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey pants for Plus-sized women?

Old
03-14-2012, 05:07 PM
goalie29

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
I have played hockey for about 15 years now and I have never worn the protective part of a jill short. .
I don't wear mine, either. Even when I play in net. Only once has that been a problem - on a slapshot from a guy when I had old beater junior pants. Left a bruise, but didn't disrupt my game at all.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 12:44 AM
SCritical

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
I found the same one that I tried on at the store in an XL, only an XXL. It was $12.99 on eBay, so not too big a loss if it's not quite right.

Good news, the pro shop called and they have my pants now! I had tried on a pair yesterday that were good, but they weren't the low-end beginner package, so they needed to have them brought over from the other location. I should be ready with everything by Sunday when I have my first class!
Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Ah, I know alot of women don't wear a pelvic protector but...the one time I played without mine, I got butt ended hard in that area (by another female player!) and...yeah. I don't want a repeat of that

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2012, 10:06 PM
beth

I always wear my protector - makes those superman slides a lot less painful!

I have these jill shorts:
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...rt-womens.html

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:22 AM
shoeshine boy

so awesome that you're doing this! I was you 12 years ago. I started with the local women's team and now I play on 4 different teams. it's been a wild and wonderful 12 years.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
so awesome that you're doing this! I was you 12 years ago. I started with the local women's team and now I play on 4 different teams. it's been a wild and wonderful 12 years.
I had a blast, I'm looking forward to going again.

How long did it take you to feel like you were actually contributing to your team(s)? We just did a scrimmage the second half of our ice time and it was totally unorganized, people just took a shift at whatever position the person coming off the ice had just played. I did both RW, LW and center. I had a general idea of what I should be doing (trying to get the puck, pass the puck, shoot the puck, and stay on approximately the right or left side, or in the centerish area).

I got the puck once, missed a pass a bunch of times, had one SOG and I'm sure we all looked crazy chasing it around like a bunch of cats trying to chase a laser pointer beam. I didn't expect much since it was only my first time, but at some point I'd really like to be an asset rather than a liability!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:30 PM
SouthpawTRK

Quote:

How long did it take you to feel like you were actually contributing to your team(s)? We just did a scrimmage the second half of our ice time and it was totally unorganized, people just took a shift at whatever position the person coming off the ice had just played. I did both RW, LW and center. I had a general idea of what I should be doing (trying to get the puck, pass the puck, shoot the puck, and stay on approximately the right or left side, or in the centerish area).

I got the puck once, missed a pass a bunch of times, had one SOG and I'm sure we all looked crazy chasing it around like a bunch of cats trying to chase a laser pointer beam. I didn't expect much since it was only my first time, but at some point I'd really like to be an asset rather than a liability!
Congratulations on taking up hockey; sounds like you are having a blast!

The next time that your class has a scrimmage, you can figure out who wants to play where. This will create a sense of where people should be and will make it easier when it's time to come off the ice. Usually, the way that the bench is set up, the players on defense sit nearest their goalie and the forwards sit on the other end. When coming off the ice, simply raise your stick and call out your position. Use the door to come off the ice (since you should be tired), but go over the wall when going onto the ice.

Contributions to your team can come in many forms; from scoring to setting up plays. However, it's always great to get players on the team to contribute by playing (and knowing) their position and what's expected of that position, keeping shifts short, leaving it all on the ice, not taking unnecessary penalties, getting to the game on time, communicating with your team mates and being a team player (playing the position that the captain assigns you).

Keep taking your classes, attend public sessions and get out to stick and puck sessions to work on your skating and hockey basics.

Best of luck with with everything!

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:10 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:

How long did it take you to feel like you were actually contributing to your team(s)?
it kind of depends on who you're playing with. I have never been a great skater but I've got really good hands. I may not be getting any breakaway goals but when the puck is loose around the net I can usually bury it. I can also make good, crisp tape-to-tape passes. one thing that coaches might forget to tell you, you've GOT to use the strength in BOTH arms when shooting and passing. too many people, especially women only use the strength in their top hand. to really get zip on the puck you have to use both.
remember, hockey is the hardest sport to pick up as an adult because it's impossible to hide the fact that you suck. you will get better though so just stick with it!

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote