HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Are the Flames better off under Sutter than they were under Keenan?

Old
03-21-2012, 05:51 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
lol the definition of a word is not up for interpretation, especially one such as this. When describing a perennial plant do you no longer consider one perennial because one year it grew sideways and died early? Nope, you don't, its perennial as long as it sprouts out of the ground.
It can also be defined as; Lasting an indefinitely long time.

Which is certainly up for interpretation, especially given the context in which I used the word.

To me five years of consecutive playoff hockey is certainly a tough feat to accomplish and not easily achieved by the majority of the teams around the league(one would think).

Anyways....moving along.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:44 AM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
It can also be defined as; Lasting an indefinitely long time.

Which is certainly up for interpretation, especially given the context in which I used the word.

To me five years of consecutive playoff hockey is certainly a tough feat to accomplish and not easily achieved by the majority of the teams around the league(one would think).

Anyways....moving along.
the 5 years is a very long time, at the time we were only one of a handful of teams to make the playoffs that many consecutive years

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I don't understand why people think Iginla is suppose to be Wayne Greztky. Yes Iggy has a slow start, but so do a lot of players. Perry had a slow start, Kessel is having a slow finish, while Eric Staal had a disaterous start. Selanne and Geztlaf are having off years, so is Pat Kane and Marleau. Should these player's get traded?

Iggy is in the top 30 in points, top 15 in goals, and he's having a freaking career low. Iggy competes with the leagues best year after year after year after. And guess what?!? He's played for the Calgary ****ing Flames his entire career. Not the Detroit Red Wings, but the perpetual mediocre Calgary Flames that haven't been a favorite for anything since the 80's! He's the only elite talent we ever owned, and you guys jump down his throat like he's Matt Stajan! Spoiled *****es if I ever seen any.

Ugh. Maybe Iggy should be traded to a team that can appreciate what he brings. His own fans toss him aside like last week's leftovers after he spent his entire working career trying to win hockey games in this disrespectful city. From being a bloody teenager until his retirement, he has given this city absolutely everything he has. While Lebron James type players seek the big bucks and fame and don't give a **** about the fans. **** people, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Disgusting...
Nothing much needs to be said after this post...Great Job!

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:23 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
I don't understand why people think Iginla is suppose to be Wayne Greztky. Yes Iggy has a slow start, but so do a lot of players. Perry had a slow start, Kessel is having a slow finish, while Eric Staal had a disaterous start. Selanne and Geztlaf are having off years, so is Pat Kane and Marleau. Should these player's get traded?

Iggy is in the top 30 in points, top 15 in goals, and he's having a freaking career low. Iggy competes with the leagues best year after year after year after. And guess what?!? He's played for the Calgary ****ing Flames his entire career. Not the Detroit Red Wings, but the perpetual mediocre Calgary Flames that haven't been a favorite for anything since the 80's! He's the only elite talent we ever owned, and you guys jump down his throat like he's Matt Stajan! Spoiled *****es if I ever seen any.

Ugh. Maybe Iggy should be traded to a team that can appreciate what he brings. His own fans toss him aside like last week's leftovers after he spent his entire working career trying to win hockey games in this disrespectful city. From being a bloody teenager until his retirement, he has given this city absolutely everything he has. While Lebron James type players seek the big bucks and fame and don't give a **** about the fans. **** people, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Disgusting...
Well said.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
MarkGio did have a great post about Iggy, but I will say this. I think Iggy is a fantastic leader and great team guy, and everything that MarkGio said about him is bang on. But if Iggy and some of the other vets are not buying into the system every night for 60 minutes, then that is going to create inconsistent play.

If Iggy stays with the Flames until he retires, then Feaster needs to find a coach that will implement a system to Iggy's and the other core players strengths. IMO, its the coach or the players that need to change. Iggy has played a way better all around game the 2nd half of the season, but every now and again he gets away from the system (along with other guys) and that causes problems in the teams game. So a decision needs to be made for the overall good of the team.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
MarkGio did have a great post about Iggy, but I will say this. I think Iggy is a fantastic leader and great team guy, and everything that MarkGio said about him is bang on. But if Iggy and some of the other vets are not buying into the system every night for 60 minutes, then that is going to create inconsistent play.

If Iggy stays with the Flames until he retires, then Feaster needs to find a coach that will implement a system to Iggy's and the other core players strengths. IMO, its the coach or the players that need to change. Iggy has played a way better all around game the 2nd half of the season, but every now and again he gets away from the system (along with other guys) and that causes problems in the teams game. So a decision needs to be made for the overall good of the team.
It seems in big games when we need to win Iggy is willing to a chance or two and try to get us a goal I have no problem with that because if you don't score you can't win. He has played some pretty solid defensive hockey lately but I don't get what people are complaining about. Every team has offensive players that aren't great at defense they all seem fine with it. Sedins/Perry/Kessel.....etc.

But we expect Iggy to score us 50 goals lead the league in fighting and block every shot that is taken when he is on the ice. Last year we played a much more puck moving system and it played to Iggy's strength but this year Sutter seems to want to clog the neutral zone and try to generate offense by taking advantage of the other teams mistakes. The problem is we don't have a Datsyuk of a Toews who is elite enough at defense to force the turn overs and credit the odd man rushes. We need to play a up beat, puck moving system to be succesful.

Old
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
One would think, or they could just check it out and not be so impressed. Since the lockout there have been two teams to make the post season every year, San Jose and Detroit, for seven straight years. Pittsburgh is set to make it six. Washington, Boston and Philadelphia will all hit five straight this spring. Chicago is hitting its 4th year in a row and Montreal's streak of four in a row ends, which is what Calgary's post-lockout streak was. Those are contiguous streaks.

As for sheer success, the Flames made it four of seven years. For comparison, Buffalo and Chicago made it four of seven years as well. There are 11 teams that did better. San Jose and Detroit are going to be 7 for 7. Nashville, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New Jersey are all going to be 6 for 7. Anaheim, Vancouver, Boston and Montreal are going to be 5 for 7. Our perennials are looking like they need some water.

Quote:
Anyways....moving along.
Yes... moving along.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 02:01 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
He's the only elite talent we ever owned, ...
Wow. Someone has no memory. There was this team in 1989 that hoisted the Stanley Cup that had quite a few players considered elite. Nieuwendyk, Loob, Roberts, Gilmour, Mullen, Otto, Macinnis, Sutter, Vernon, etc. That's without touching on guys that had been international superstars like Hrdina and Makarov, or guys named Fleury or McDonald. All of those players were considered elite level talent, and they've all played for the Calgary Flames. A lot of them contributed to the greatest moment in franchise history, which was being a true championship team. Iginla is a great player, but not the only great player to have played for the team.

Quote:
I don't know where this whole "you love Iginla or you hate Iginla" stuff comes from. I also don't know why the hero worship. He's a hockey player and the city doesn't owe him anything. He's been paid handsomely for his efforts and has been treated exceptionally well. But there comes a time when a player likely needs to move on, for his and the team's best interests. Iginla will never be able to live up to the myth being written about him by certain fans, and it would really suck if his legacy decayed to that of Fleury in his last couple of years with the Flames.

The team needs to move forward and one of the things holding them back is Iginla and the affect he has on the club and in the dressing room. Like it or not, but the team lead by Iginla has been a perennial underachiever and that needs to be changed. That is not going to tarnish Iginla's history with the team, and would not preclude him coming back to finish his career with the Flames like Ryan Smyth in Edmonton, but it is becoming obvious that the team will not be able to move forward with Iginla in the lineup. We can all still like and cheer for Iginla, but it is likely best for all parties if he were traded for some assets that would help the team moving forward. That's actually quite the tribute to pay a guy, believing that at 35 he will still be able to return multiple assets to improve the team long term.

Old
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
One would think, or they could just check it out and not be so impressed. Since the lockout there have been two teams to make the post season every year, San Jose and Detroit, for seven straight years. Pittsburgh is set to make it six. Washington, Boston and Philadelphia will all hit five straight this spring. Chicago is hitting its 4th year in a row and Montreal's streak of four in a row ends, which is what Calgary's post-lockout streak was. Those are contiguous streaks.

As for sheer success, the Flames made it four of seven years. For comparison, Buffalo and Chicago made it four of seven years as well. There are 11 teams that did better. San Jose and Detroit are going to be 7 for 7. Nashville, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New Jersey are all going to be 6 for 7. Anaheim, Vancouver, Boston and Montreal are going to be 5 for 7. Our perennials are looking like they need some water.

Yes... moving along.
That is not what I am talking about, I specifically said that the Calgary Flames were a "perennial" playoff team before Brent Sutter was named head coach. Your argument was that you believed he inherited a below average team, and in my opinion that simply was not the case.

All your statistics proved is that it is incredibly difficult to string together five consecutive seasons of playoff hockey, which is what Calgary managed to do before Brent Sutter was brought into the organization. That to me certainly qualifies as "Lasting an indefinitely long time"

Clearly they can no longer be considered in that category having missed two, going on three seasons of post season hockey.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Wow. Someone has no memory. There was this team in 1989 that hoisted the Stanley Cup that had quite a few players considered elite. Nieuwendyk, Loob, Roberts, Gilmour, Mullen, Otto, Macinnis, Sutter, Vernon, etc. That's without touching on guys that had been international superstars like Hrdina and Makarov, or guys named Fleury or McDonald. All of those players were considered elite level talent, and they've all played for the Calgary Flames. A lot of them contributed to the greatest moment in franchise history, which was being a true championship team. Iginla is a great player, but not the only great player to have played for the team.

I don't know where this whole "you love Iginla or you hate Iginla" stuff comes from. I also don't know why the hero worship. He's a hockey player and the city doesn't owe him anything. He's been paid handsomely for his efforts and has been treated exceptionally well. But there comes a time when a player likely needs to move on, for his and the team's best interests. Iginla will never be able to live up to the myth being written about him by certain fans, and it would really suck if his legacy decayed to that of Fleury in his last couple of years with the Flames.

The team needs to move forward and one of the things holding them back is Iginla and the affect he has on the club and in the dressing room. Like it or not, but the team lead by Iginla has been a perennial underachiever and that needs to be changed. That is not going to tarnish Iginla's history with the team, and would not preclude him coming back to finish his career with the Flames like Ryan Smyth in Edmonton, but it is becoming obvious that the team will not be able to move forward with Iginla in the lineup. We can all still like and cheer for Iginla, but it is likely best for all parties if he were traded for some assets that would help the team moving forward. That's actually quite the tribute to pay a guy, believing that at 35 he will still be able to return multiple assets to improve the team long term.
It is true that we have had (historically) elite talents. However I'm sure MarkGio was talking about recent history.

I agree Iginla, IMO, should be moved this offseason. He'll always have to opportunity to come back and will always have a great legacy here regardless. Hopefully you get a couple of guys in return (or a pick) who can step in right away. If we keep Kipper and put a few solid young talents in the lineup, we may just be in solid shape if Iginla decides to return in a secondary scoring role.

I'd move Bouwmeester too. But that's a discussion for another day.

EDIT: Also if this lineup can get significantly younger in the offseason, and hand over leadership to Gio, I'm not adverse to keeping Sutter.

Old
03-21-2012, 06:30 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
It is true that we have had (historically) elite talents. However I'm sure MarkGio was talking about recent history.
He said ever. "He's the only elite talent we ever owned, ..." Seemed pretty clear to me, but he was in mid meltdown so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt once the 48 hour waiting period has expired.

Quote:
I'd move Bouwmeester too. But that's a discussion for another day.
It's another day, and I'd be open to moving Bouwmeester as well. Definitely have to get back a top four defenseman in return though, which makes dealing Bouwmeester difficult. Why would someone give up a top four to get a top pair guy, unless they had a whack of 3-4 guys? Maybe Toronto would be a good fit for Bouwmeester, for someone like Schenn who Toronto has slightly soured on.

Quote:
EDIT: Also if this lineup can get significantly younger in the offseason, and hand over leadership to Gio, I'm not adverse to keeping Sutter.
I'd actually like to go outside the organization for leadership. I'd make a Tonelli or Risebrough trade and bring in a guy known for his effort at both ends of the ice and is well respected. A guy like Francois Beauchemin, Willie Mitchell, Jarret Stoll or Barrett Jackman as examples.

Old
03-21-2012, 07:15 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Actually, I was trying to say the only elite player we can call our own. "Owned" was the key word. We had to share those elite players with other teams at some point in their respective careers.

The difference between Iggy and those other guys is that only the Flames can say they are entitled to retire Iggy's number. Look at L.A and Edmonton. I'm sure it pisses Oilers' fans to know that Gretzky's jersey is hung in L.A. If I was an Oilers fan, I'd feel that there's only one place where Gretzky's jersey truly belongs.

We got St. Louis fans, Stars fans, Toronto fans, etc. all claiming as the contributors for the careers of former Flames' greats. With Iggy, its not convoluted, up for debate, or shaded with grey. From day one, our organization built and fostered one of the greatest players who ever played the game.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Also if this lineup can get significantly younger in the offseason, and hand over leadership to Gio, I'm not adverse to keeping Sutter.
I'd be against handing captaincy to Gio. He just doesn't seem to be "that" player who will take centerstage. Fiery competitor who plays with his heart on his sleeve, but he hasn't shown me having NHL-captain leadership. Where he is now is probably best for him for the rest of his career; #3-4 with being a "supportive" core guy.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2012, 10:16 PM
mjw22

Quote:

WOW Finally some common sense on the subject . No one including me is saying Iggy sucked here it's just time to change the leadership and direction of this team. You can't do that with a guy of his presence in the room. He will bring back the best value for the team .Like I said before I would hope Iggy hasn't grown so comfortable in his role here that he wouldn't want to go somewhere for a shot at the cup.

mjw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:53 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
That is not what I am talking about, I specifically said that the Calgary Flames were a "perennial" playoff team before Brent Sutter was named head coach. Your argument was that you believed he inherited a below average team, and in my opinion that simply was not the case.

All your statistics proved is that it is incredibly difficult to string together five consecutive seasons of playoff hockey, which is what Calgary managed to do before Brent Sutter was brought into the organization. That to me certainly qualifies as "Lasting an indefinitely long time"

Clearly they can no longer be considered in that category having missed two, going on three seasons of post season hockey.
Sutter's results have been very similar to that of the other coaches in the past six years. You make it sound like he's driven the franchise into a tailspin when he has maintained a very similar point production of the other coaches. The 94 point mark is where the other coaches got the team and Sutter has been around that mark as well, missing low but one to two wins each year. Considering the challenges this team has faced with showing up in October and November that is a miracle.

I also just showed thatthe Flames playoff success was no where near as good as we like to think. We're in with a group of teams like Buffalo and Montreal, teams that have been sniffing around but not a perennial playoff team under any coach. We're no Florida, but we're no San Jose either. But who wants to be San Jose?

Old
03-22-2012, 09:11 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
I'd be against handing captaincy to Gio. He just doesn't seem to be "that" player who will take centerstage. Fiery competitor who plays with his heart on his sleeve, but he hasn't shown me having NHL-captain leadership. Where he is now is probably best for him for the rest of his career; #3-4 with being a "supportive" core guy.
I'm not here to say he is a leader in the dressing room or on the bench. I don't think anyone really has a good idea regarding that. But his on ice play is great captain material IMO. He does it all very well, and is fearless.

If he can lead the locker room I'd give it to him.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
He said ever. "He's the only elite talent we ever owned, ..." Seemed pretty clear to me, but he was in mid meltdown so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt once the 48 hour waiting period has expired.

It's another day, and I'd be open to moving Bouwmeester as well. Definitely have to get back a top four defenseman in return though, which makes dealing Bouwmeester difficult. Why would someone give up a top four to get a top pair guy, unless they had a whack of 3-4 guys? Maybe Toronto would be a good fit for Bouwmeester, for someone like Schenn who Toronto has slightly soured on.

I'd actually like to go outside the organization for leadership. I'd make a Tonelli or Risebrough trade and bring in a guy known for his effort at both ends of the ice and is well respected. A guy like Francois Beauchemin, Willie Mitchell, Jarret Stoll or Barrett Jackman as examples.
I wouldn't take any of these guys as captain instead of Gio, just my opinion.

Maybe we could move Bouwmeester and sign Suter...one can dream. I get the point though, moving Bouwmeester leaves a tremendous hole on our team. But the way I see it, is that I'd rather have a couple of legit top 3-4 guys then 1 Bouwmeester. Not an easy thing to accomplish.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
But the way I see it, is that I'd rather have a couple of legit top 3-4 guys then 1 Bouwmeester. Not an easy thing to accomplish.
You never know what you have until its gone. Remember how Butler was the whipping boy and people complained how bad he was? Now that Babchuk is in the lineup consistently we recognize how good Butler was and how much we miss him in the overall scheme of things. You move Bouwmeester you better have a couple really good 3/4 guys come back, because you just carved out a 30 minute a night guy who plays in the toughest situations. That would be a massive loss.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:14 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
You never know what you have until its gone. Remember how Butler was the whipping boy and people complained how bad he was? Now that Babchuk is in the lineup consistently we recognize how good Butler was and how much we miss him in the overall scheme of things. You move Bouwmeester you better have a couple really good 3/4 guys come back, because you just carved out a 30 minute a night guy who plays in the toughest situations. That would be a massive loss.
I agree Jbow is becoming so underrated defensively its not funny. I wish he was a bit more physical but he is still great defensively.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I agree Jbow is becoming so underrated defensively its not funny. I wish he was a bit more physical but he is still great defensively.
I'm not underrating him at all. Look through my post history on him and you'll see I've been a big supporter of him this year. But the truth is that he does not bring enough to the table to warrent his cap hit. It'll be hard to find replacement pieces if we traded him. But if it is possible to move his contract while replacing his prescence on our blueline through depth then I'm all for it.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I'm not underrating him at all. Look through my post history on him and you'll see I've been a big supporter of him this year. But the truth is that he does not bring enough to the table to warrent his cap hit. It'll be hard to find replacement pieces if we traded him. But if it is possible to move his contract while replacing his prescence on our blueline through depth then I'm all for it.
He is being greatly miss used if we move him to a team that allows its defense to jump into the offense than he will rebound and people will wonder why he couldn't do it here. His cap hit doesn't really hurt us and his contract ends soon we need to get a offensive minded coach to utilize Jbow and it will make us a much stronger team.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:37 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
He is being greatly miss used if we move him to a team that allows its defense to jump into the offense than he will rebound and people will wonder why he couldn't do it here. His cap hit doesn't really hurt us and his contract ends soon we need to get a offensive minded coach to utilize Jbow and it will make us a much stronger team.
Unless they stick him in front of the net on ther PP he is useless. I haven't seen a shot as bad as his in a while. He could be used more effectivly, but still...that shot is just brutal.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Unless they stick him in front of the net on ther PP he is useless. I haven't seen a shot as bad as his in a while. He could be used more effectivly, but still...that shot is just brutal.
He never had a great shot even in Florida if that is what Sutter expected then he did not scout him. Jbow is only effective when he uses his speed and when the plays the center of the box on the pp.

So he can pass the puck and wrist shot.

I also wasn't singeling you out when I said he was becoming underrated, it just seems people think he use to be a great pp shooter the truth is he never was.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:19 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
He never had a great shot even in Florida if that is what Sutter expected then he did not scout him. Jbow is only effective when he uses his speed and when the plays the center of the box on the pp.

So he can pass the puck and wrist shot.

I also wasn't singeling you out when I said he was becoming underrated, it just seems people think he use to be a great pp shooter the truth is he never was.
Exactly which is why I mentioned using him in the high slot. I do not understand why this has not been tried. He has no use on our PP otherwise.