HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan Suspended 3 Games For Elbow To Jamie Benn

Old
03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
ducky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by texashockeyguy View Post
All suspensions for your teams are not warranted and the guy who committed the attrocities against your team is a thug who does not warrant the right to continue to live. Let's face it, Doan threw the elbow, hit Jamie in the jaw, but it certainly was not a malicous hit by any means, if Doan wanted to he could have taken Benn's head of there, if Benn does not fall down, nothing happens--maybe a penalty but thats about it. However, let me be clear about one thing as I have watched this kid since he has been in Juniors. Benn does not dive. However, the Stars lately can't buy a call. The went a game and 1/2 without drawing one damn penaltly. Other than Otter (who does not get the calls anyway because everyone hates him--hehe), we don't have one guy on the team who dives. Which in all reality hurts us. My guess is that's why Jamie layed out on the play. It sucks that it caused your guy to get suspended, but if your smart, fighting for a playoff spot, it honestly is probably the right thing to do. I agree that something needs to be done to stop diving. But every team does it, and honestly, at least right now, the best teams/players at doing it are rewarded the most.
Uhmm, Ribiero?

Diving is never "the right thing to do".

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Stars fan, coming in peace.

Just a couple things. I felt the suspension was just and fair. There wasn't any malicious intent, just a stupid, careless play that went bad.

Also, for those of you saying Benn embellished the hit, it's similar to getting high-sticked in the face. It's a natural instinct, can't really avoid that. He didn't sell it, he simply jerked away and went down, like most people would've done.

Also, he was hit in the nose a bit, which explains the tears on the bench. If you've ever been hit in the nose, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Uhmm, Ribiero?

Diving is never "the right thing to do".
It's extremely rare for anyone of the Stars' to dive. It's just a mentality of the team. Sure, he dove a lot in Montreal, but that was over 5 years ago. You won't see him dive now.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post

Just a couple things. I felt the suspension was just and fair. There wasn't any malicious intent, just a stupid, careless play that went bad.

Also, for those of you saying Benn embellished the hit, it's similar to getting high-sticked in the face. It's a natural instinct, can't really avoid that. He didn't sell it, he simply jerked away and went down, like most people would've done.

Also, he was hit in the nose a bit, which explains the tears on the bench. If you've ever been hit in the nose, you'll know what I'm talking about.

It's extremely rare for anyone of the Stars' to dive. It's just a mentality of the team. Sure, he dove a lot in Montreal, but that was over 5 years ago. You won't see him dive now.
Thanks for stopping by?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:53 AM

Two to three games was the general consensus from partial and non-partial parties prior to the ruling. This should come to no shock to most people.

I must admit, I've been wondering about Doan a bit though because he has been getting more suspensions and fines than in years past. I know everyone is, but Doan is not a guy I've ever considered to be that type of player despite his physical style. Shane Doan is not a dirty player, he is a physical player, and there is a difference.

Guest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
SweYote

Looks like that main board thread went full retard.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:29 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:

I guess you didn't see O'Reilly get high sticked against the Flames the other night, blood pouring out. He went off the ice, got the nost plugged up, and was back skating on the ice the very next shift. Not just his scheduled shift, but the next shift period that was on the ice after the refs were talking.

Appreciate the drive by though!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:47 AM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

We still havn't talked about the real problem. Jamie Benn needs a hair cut.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:49 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Mod note: don't copy posts from another forum thread over to this thread with the intent of making the quoted poster look bad. That can run afoul of the site trolling rules.

If you want to engage a poster in another thread/forum please do it there.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:14 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
We still havn't talked about the real problem. Jamie Benn needs a hair cut.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:52 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
if your smart, fighting for a playoff spot, it honestly is probably the right thing to do. I agree that something needs to be done to stop diving. But every team does it, and honestly, at least right now, the best teams/players at doing it are rewarded the most.
Smart? Let's call a lack of integrity out for the very cowardice that it is. Best teams/players?.... rewarded cowards and a damn shame.

Last edited by kihekah19: 03-22-2012 at 01:02 PM.
kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:25 PM
TJinAZ

True... some teams better than others

Quote:
if your smart, fighting for a playoff spot, it honestly is probably the right thing to do. I agree that something needs to be done to stop diving. But every team does it, and honestly, at least right now, the best teams/players at doing it are rewarded the most.

Hint look at the teams that ride power plays to the playoffs and beyond.

A little hint.

bigger hint

TJinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Let's not pretend to be aghast at an embellishment by another player, its not like we don't have guys that haven't played it up as well. (Watch Yandle when anything gets close to his head). Its sad but thats the way the younger players in the league are trending. For now at least I'd think both Phoenix and Dallas fans should be happy that both our teams aren't full of players that do it like some other teams are (see TJ's post above).

Quote:
But I know I can say for sure Fiddler does cause the man did it all the time when he played for us and was pretty effective at it At the end of the day do agree about Ribero and Dallas in general. Bottom line is PHX/DAL game tend to be pretty chippy so we probably see the worst in some of each others players come out more often than they normally do. But to me that just makes the games againt the Stars all the more fun to watch and why I both love and hate playing them.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:47 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
Let's not pretend to be aghast at an embellishment by another player, its not like we don't have guys that haven't played it up as well. (Watch Yandle when anything gets close to his head). Its sad but thats the way the younger players in the league are trending. For now at least I'd think both Phoenix and Dallas fans should be happy that both our teams aren't full of players that do it like some other teams are (see TJ's post above).

But I know I can say for sure Fiddler does cause the man did it all the time when he played for us and was pretty effective at it At the end of the day do agree about Ribero and Dallas in general. Bottom line is PHX/DAL game tend to be pretty chippy so we probably see the worst in some of each others players come out more often than they normally do. But to me that just makes the games againt the Stars all the more fun to watch and why I both love and hate playing them.
Hey now, like the person said, they do NOT do stuff line that. They probably made fids stop that business that the coyotes taught him. Lol

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 02:49 PM
awfulwaffle

TJinAZ wins this thread.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
TJinAZ wins this thread.
Nobody wins.

However there are losers....any Coyote fan who can't accept that it was an illegal hit and/or a justified suspension, WITHOUT spinning it against Benn or any other player.

Man up people.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
Nobody wins.

However there are losers....any Coyote fan who can't accept that it was an illegal hit and/or a justified suspension, WITHOUT spinning it against Benn or any other player.

Man up people.
I haven't seen much in the way of support for Doan's actions. That Benn took the dive of the year is a separate, but relevant issue.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:15 PM
TJinAZ

that seems to be the lesson here

Quote:
I haven't seen much in the way of support for Doan's actions. That Benn took the dive of the year is a separate, but relevant issue.
I don't think any Coyote fan condone's Doan's actions. He was going for the hit Benn moved and Doan extended. Bad decision. Now we all can agree that players on both team will "embellish" when hit near the head. Whether it is a natural or trained reaction is irrelevant. It happens.

Doan is a veteran and he let his emotions get the best of him. There were some questionable hits on both sides but hey... everyone is playing hard to get to the playoffs. Us fans are in the same boat. We tend to see things with "our" team in mind. Dallas only sees the extended elbow and the Coyotes fans see the late head snap. They are not mutually exclusive.

Reminds me of the whole Hatcher/Roenick incident but this time we are the bad buy and no one got hurt. I don't hate Dallas and think they have some fine players that play hard nosed hockey. That they stole Fiddy from us aside. I think both teams fans can be proud that we don't have divers. Although I will say I find it a bit Hypocritical when Ribero speaks of sportsmanship.

And one more dig on the Nucks. Is it just me or does Salo's melon look like the model for megamind?

Old
03-22-2012, 08:19 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinAZ View Post
I don't think any Coyote fan condone's Doan's actions. He was going for the hit Benn moved and Doan extended. Bad decision. Now we all can agree that players on both team will "embellish" when hit near the head. Whether it is a natural or trained reaction is irrelevant. It happens.

Doan is a veteran and he let his emotions get the best of him. There were some questionable hits on both sides but hey... everyone is playing hard to get to the playoffs. Us fans are in the same boat. We tend to see things with "our" team in mind. Dallas only sees the extended elbow and the Coyotes fans see the late head snap. They are not mutually exclusive.

Reminds me of the whole Hatcher/Roenick incident but this time we are the bad buy and no one got hurt. I don't hate Dallas and think they have some fine players that play hard nosed hockey. That they stole Fiddy from us aside. I think both teams fans can be proud that we don't have divers. Although I will say I find it a bit Hypocritical when Ribero speaks of sportsmanship.

And one more dig on the Nucks.

Except Benn's ego, he'll see the video of him crying for the rest of his life

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
TJinAZ

That is going to haunt him.

Quote:
Except Benn's ego, he'll see the video of him crying for the rest of his life
That was unfortunate. I think Benn has been pure class through this whole incident. He accepted the NHL's ruling and Doan's apology and hasn't whined or griped at all.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:23 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Nobody wins.

Man up people.
2 seperate issues.

Last edited by awfulwaffle: 03-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old
03-23-2012, 01:00 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Nobody wins.

Man up people.

Men have disagreed with the establishment since the dawn man. To imply that "walking the line" is to "man up" is nothing short of idiotic.

Old
03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJinAZ View Post
Correct, it would seem all agree to the initial elbowing penalty as called on the ice.... bad decision.

Personally I can also agree that many players (regrettably most anymore) will embellish on many hits. I don't think it's irrelevant however, as it's increased frequency speaks of the game, it's players and what they are becoming.

Old
03-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think it's pretty much ******** that Keith only got 2 more games that Doan. Not only was his elbow much worse, it was %100 intentional, it was premeditated and Sedin is likely done for the season and could even miss playoff games! ****ing retarded!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:52 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
I think it's pretty much ******** that Keith only got 2 more games that Doan. Not only was his elbow much worse, it was %100 intentional, it was premeditated and Sedin is likely done for the season and could even miss playoff games! ****ing retarded!
Doan likely would have gotten 2 games had he not been a repeat defender so Keith technically got more than double what Doan did plus he loses $350 K in salary.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Doan likely would have gotten 2 games had he not been a repeat defender so Keith technically got more than double what Doan did plus he loses $350 K in salary.
I.e. he got off pretty clean.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote