Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikko Lehtonen, some news ?

Old
03-22-2012, 06:06 AM
zrep

vCash: 500
Mikko Lehtonen, some news ?

i don't find anything about his future...

back to NHL ?

zrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:35 AM
Keeptdos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrep View Post
i don't find anything about his future...

back to NHL ?
The only way he would return is if he got a one-way contract which he isn't going to get with the Wild.

He will most likely stay around Europe.

Keeptdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:03 AM
sioux210

i wish he would come back and try to earn a spot, would be another good young player to add to are system. a 1 way? ha that makes no sense, why would he thinks he would deserve that is beyond me

sioux210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:16 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux210 View Post
a 1 way? ha that makes no sense, why would he thinks he would deserve that is beyond me
He makes more money playing in KHL, and is closer to his home country. He also already played two seasons with Providence Bruins.

Haite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 03:24 PM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
He makes more money playing in KHL, and is closer to his home country. He also already played two seasons with Providence Bruins.
well ya obviously he makes more money but hes really not doing much in the khl,i think he did have a decent season in the sel a few years ago but has really hit a wall scoring wise in the khl, khl has much bigger ice, more room to move and make things happen, if he cant score there theres no way he deserves a 1 way. its a privilege to even have the opportunity the play in the nhl, take the 2 way contract and earn your spot and stop being a baby, your selling yourself short if your not gonna even try to play in the best league in the world

Old
03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make 'em drink blah blah blah. If his ultimate goal as a hockey player isn't to win a Cup then no magical combination of words are going to convince him otherwise. Wild priorities and Lehtonen priorities are too asymmetrical to even bother thinking about the guy. If he want Cup, he need to put in work necessary.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
well ya obviously he makes more money but hes really not doing much in the khl,i think he did have a decent season in the sel a few years ago but has really hit a wall scoring wise in the khl, khl has much bigger ice, more room to move and make things happen, if he cant score there theres no way he deserves a 1 way. its a privilege to even have the opportunity the play in the nhl, take the 2 way contract and earn your spot and stop being a baby, your selling yourself short if your not gonna even try to play in the best league in the world
It has absolutely nothing to do with "what he deserves to earn." He can play in the KHL for KHL money, or he can play in the AHL for AHL money with the chance to make an NHL team where he might earn NHL money some day in the future. Those are his choices, and he's choosing the one that pays better now. Maybe it would be a privilege to work for [company x] but if [company y] offers me 3 times the pay for the same job, you bet your ass I'll do it, even if the commute isn't quite as nice.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
I'll bet this guy doesn't even know the Wild hold his rights.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
se7en
infamous...

If what you guys are saying is true, why did the Wild trade for him then? GMCF must have known before hand that this guy has no plans on furthering his career so why would we trade a capable goalie away for virtually nothing in return. I know that we're somewhat deep at goalie prospects but I would imagine that there was no immediate need to make this trade. It kind of seems like we gave our goalie away for nothing.. Am I missing something?

We already did that with Nystrom haha

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Tree-hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Maybe it would be a privilege to work for [company x] but if [company y] offers me 3 times the pay for the same job, you bet your ass I'll do it, even if the commute isn't quite as nice.
You are right, but the salary difference between AHL and KHL is effectively, given their artist status and all, something like 20:1 in his case. Lehtonen had his chance in Boston - did not make it, and that's the end of it.

Tree-hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:37 PM
sioux210

Quote:
It has absolutely nothing to do with "what he deserves to earn." He can play in the KHL for KHL money, or he can play in the AHL for AHL money with the chance to make an NHL team where he might earn NHL money some day in the future. Those are his choices, and he's choosing the one that pays better now. Maybe it would be a privilege to work for [company x] but if [company y] offers me 3 times the pay for the same job, you bet your ass I'll do it, even if the commute isn't quite as nice.
usually you play hockey because you love the sport and want to compete, growing up its every players dream to play in the nhl (at least in north america)so for me the money would be irrelevant, but with some of these european players i dont think they were exposed to the nhl game as much when they were younger as opposed to their home countries top league, probably why many will take the money over a chance at the nhl. but i do realize they have to secure themselves financially if hockey doesnt work out for the long term. but Lehtonen probably would have seen time with the wild this year if he just wouldve signed, id prefer him playing over peters...

Old
03-22-2012, 05:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
If what you guys are saying is true, why did the Wild trade for him then? GMCF must have known before hand that this guy has no plans on furthering his career so why would we trade a capable goalie away for virtually nothing in return. I know that we're somewhat deep at goalie prospects but I would imagine that there was no immediate need to make this trade. It kind of seems like we gave our goalie away for nothing.. Am I missing something?

We already did that with Nystrom haha
Goalies have little value and I want to say Khudobin was a free agent at the end of the year. Can't think too many people want to pay that much for a third string goalie (and that's what he was/stlll is in Boston - they picked up Turco ahead of him). Picking up Lehtonen was more of a gamble than anything and probably a better player than the late-round draft pick Khudobin would have fetched.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

We'll just send Koivu and Granlund to Russia to "convince" him to come play for us.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:01 PM
sioux210

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
We'll just send Koivu and Granlund to Russia to "convince" him to come play for us.
yes! u would think with so many finns in our system he would want to be here

Old
03-22-2012, 06:35 PM
YARR123

Quote:
i wish he would come back and try to earn a spot, would be another good young player to add to are system. a 1 way? ha that makes no sense, why would he thinks he would deserve that is beyond me
Not sure if he thinks he would deserve it but tbh it makes sense for him to say that. He probably doesn't want to play 3 years shifting between AHL and NHL (the most likely scenario) when he could be playing in a solid role in KHL and make a lot more money.

I'd love for him to try to make it in the NHL because I think there's a small chance he could become something special, but I doubt he'll ever come over.

edit: there's a nice 94-born defenseman prospect also called Mikko Lehtonen who is eligible in the next draft, maybe Minny should draft him so that the chances of a Mikko Lehtonen becoming an NHLer increases

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:41 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
a little something about Khudobin: he's a friggin loon. even for a goalie the guy was unstable.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
a little something about Khudobin: he's a friggin loon. even for a goalie the guy was unstable.
He was also terrifying to watch. He could make some great saves but my god I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Dampland

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
He was also terrifying to watch. He could make some great saves but my god I thought I was going to have a heart attack.
Doby will never make it as an NHL goalie ...his style is horrible, and NHL teams will quickly learn how to score on him. The Wild brass knew this, and figured might as well try to get something for him.

But I never expect Mikko L. to play for the Wild ever.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Speaking of Khudobin, I would love to see some highlights of his plays and some evidence of his apparent "loony" character.

He sounds intriguing.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:33 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
and if your plane crashes??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Your family is financially set for life, and you died doing what makes you happy. End of story.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Kari Takko

Mikko L wouldn't crack our top 6, especially with the influx of young talent. As a scorer, I'm not sure he could change his style of play to play a bottom 6 role.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:30 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'm waiting for the day a couple years from now when we've all completely forgotten about him and out of nowhere Russo comes out with an article saying "Lehtonen signs with Wild".

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:56 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
You base your decisions upon normal events, not extremely low probability ones. You're far safer flying a plane in Russia than you are driving down the road in Minneapolis.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:43 AM
vitogor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Doby will never make it as an NHL goalie ...his style is horrible, and NHL teams will quickly learn how to score on him. The Wild brass knew this, and figured might as well try to get something for him.

But I never expect Mikko L. to play for the Wild ever.
Tim Thomas would argue with you, but he can't hear you because his Stanley Cup ring is plugging his ear, and he can't read your post because the glare from his Conn Smythe and his Vezinas is blinding his eyes

vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote