HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver police chief to Canuck fans: 'Don't come downtown'

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2012, 06:20 PM
fogducker

vCash: 500
Vancouver police chief to Canuck fans: 'Don't come downtown'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...t.html?cmp=rss

Quote:
The City of Vancouver is putting the final touches on its plan for the upcoming Stanley Cup playoffs in hopes of preventing a repeat of last year's riot.

This year will be different, he says. Instead of one large site in the downtown core, the city wants to create a number of small neighbourhood-based celebration sites

"That's one of the things we are looking at as opposed to the large, large celebrations all in one place."

Johnston wouldn't say whether they'll allow street closures and downtown live sites, but did say plans are to limit the number of people, and the amount of alcohol, coming into the downtown core.

http://www.vancourier.com/life/Vanco...668/story.html

Quote:
If the Canucks make the Stanley Cup playoffs, Vancouver Police Department Chief Jim Chu has a warning for fans: “Don’t come downtown is going to be the philosophy.”

Chu said Wednesday at a Vancouver Police Board meeting the city is against downtown celebrations and wants them replaced with regional festivities parties at community centres.

Chu’s comments echo those of former VPD spokesperson Const. Anne Drennan who famously told Vancouverites looking to celebrate the dawn of the new millennium, “Don’t think you’re going to come down and party on the street.” Her comment was widely seen as a low point in Vancouver’s reputation as “No Fun City,” a moniker finally shed by the 2010 Winter Olympics.

City manager Penny Ballem will speak about plans for the 2012 Stanley Cup playoffs at a regular council meeting March 27.

Last edited by fogducker: 03-22-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old
03-22-2012, 06:22 PM
VanEric

We've clearly demonstrated as a city that we're not allowed to have nice things.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
theripper

translation - " we are incompetent"

Old
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Not surprised at all. Thanks to all the ****ing goons downtown June 15th and people wonder why all the fun has to be taken from us, IT'S BECAUSE WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS! WHEN WE DO THE MORONIC MINORITY ****S IT UP!

I was well conducted throughout the entire ordeal, despite being in the middle of the riot. I'm so angry, frustrated for the people that ruin the fun for all the real fans that skipped work, school to go down to CBC Plaza on that day to enjoy themselves and then idiots disguised as Canucks fans ruin it all. I hope they had fun destroying our city and our fun events, I'll sure as hell have fun watching them pay their dues for being classless *******s.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:28 PM
OgoBoHo

vCash: 265
You can thank all the morons that live near Vancouver (Surrey etc) for that.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
You can thank all the morons that live near Vancouver (Surrey etc) for that.
when was the last time surrey had a riot over a hockey game again?

Old
03-22-2012, 06:34 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Old
03-22-2012, 06:36 PM
OgoBoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Last time I heard, there was at most 1-2 Vancouverites charged. The rest were from Surrey, Abbotsford etc. This was a while ago, but still. People close to Vancouver, came to riot in Vancouver, only makes sense.

EDIT: Just did a quick search, and 10 Vancouverites were charged, 2 from Burnaby, 2 from Maple Ridge, 1 from Richmond, Seattle and Delta, and 9 from Surrey. Of course, this may be old, but still. Only 9 Vancouverites out of how many people living there?

Old
03-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Todds Chiropractory

Soooooo who wants to have a riot to protest this?

Old
03-22-2012, 06:39 PM
aandbreatheme

I've actually never been down there. Didn't really want to during the Cup run because I felt like I would be watching half a screen from 30 miles away.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Kagee*

I'd rather there be a military like presence downtown with lineups of cops/canadian military/snipers(rubber bullets/bean bags obviously) and paddy wagons everywhere.
Go ahead and try to flip a car, you would all be sniped down instantly.
lol

Old
03-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Timmer44

Why not open up BC Place and charge an entrance fee that would go to charity? The crowd could be much easier controlled and the idiots would be hesitant to pay for an entrance into a viewing party.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:44 PM
OgoBoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
Why not open up BC Place and charge an entrance fee that would go to charity? The crowd could be much easier controlled and the idiots would be hesitant to pay for an entrance into a viewing party.
Then once the game is over, they can riot.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
fogducker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
What about after the game? How would you control 50,000 people celebrating coming out of BC place

Old
03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
I've actually never been down there. Didn't really want to during the Cup run because I felt like I would be watching half a screen from 30 miles away.
It was actually really well set-up (outside of the fact that it was really easy to smuggle booze in) but having to leave 6 hours before game time to get decent seats was kind of annoying and awesome in it's own way.

If they ever did that again, I would go. One of the best experiences in my life.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
OgoBoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
What about after the game? How would you control 50,000 people celebrating coming out of BC place
Plus, if it's a home game, all of the people in Rogers Arena coming out at the same time.

It'd just be Riot round 2 all over again here.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Last time I heard, there was at most 1-2 Vancouverites charged. The rest were from Surrey, Abbotsford etc. This was a while ago, but still. People close to Vancouver, came to riot in Vancouver, only makes sense.

EDIT: Just did a quick search, and 10 Vancouverites were charged, 2 from Burnaby, 2 from Maple Ridge, 1 from Richmond, Seattle and Delta, and 9 from Surrey. Of course, this may be old, but still. Only 9 Vancouverites out of how many people living there?
Ever notice that dogs don't have a habit of crapping in their own bed/where they sleep? Same principle at work pretty much during that riot.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:49 PM
nutbar

Last time I checked, we have freedom of movement in this country.

Old
03-22-2012, 06:49 PM
OgoBoHo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Ever notice that dogs don't have a habit of crapping in their own bed/where they sleep? Same principle at work pretty much during that riot.
Exactly. Why trash your own city when you can do it to someone else's?

Old
03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
Kagee*

Old
03-22-2012, 06:59 PM
express

Quote:

Vancouver has 603,000 and Surrey has 468,000

so really not that big of a difference. Sure Surrey might have more of the 'thug' demographic, but you can't claim Vancouverites were innocent of the whole thing and put all the blame on the goons from the burbs.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:02 PM
theripper

these people are so incompetent. they let that happen. it is their fault. there are bad guys everywhere,and they just sat there until the inevitable happened. what did you think was going to happen? everyone was going to hold hands and skip home? what a joke

Old
03-22-2012, 07:20 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by express View Post
Vancouver has 603,000 and Surrey has 468,000

so really not that big of a difference. Sure Surrey might have more of the 'thug' demographic, but you can't claim Vancouverites were innocent of the whole thing and put all the blame on the goons from the burbs.
All the blame? no. but there is no denying that people who live in the downtown core or very close to it (ie. in the city of Vancouver) would have to be riled up to another level to destroy the city they inhabited.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:25 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Plus, if it's a home game, all of the people in Rogers Arena coming out at the same time.

It'd just be Riot round 2 all over again here.
BC Place and GM place would both have security which searched everyone for alcohol on them, and employees at the game who would be responsible for not serving alcohol to people who are too inebriated. It would also add a delay, from which people could be dispersed. Add in extra bus service from the arenas when the game is out (block a few streets to make them transit only on game nights or something?) and you can do a good job of breaking up the crowds.

If the city had looked at how the Olympics prevented such things from happening (live viewings needed you to go through searches in LiveCity's and split people into manageable groups), they would have been much more successful after the Stanley Cup loss.

Old
03-22-2012, 07:30 PM
theripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
All the blame? no. but there is no denying that people who live in the downtown core or very close to it (ie. in the city of Vancouver) would have to be riled up to another level to destroy the city they inhabited.
usually rioting involves people destroying their own city. what makes vancouver so special? rioters couldn't care less,even if they know they have to live in it tomorrow.i think its wrong to point the finger at surrey for example,and say "we would never do such a thing". people from all over were involved so we should just keep it that way.

Closed Thread