HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank on Habs lose 3-0

Old
03-22-2012, 05:48 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
No, the must win game is against the Leafs the final game of the season. Habs do not want to lose the season series. Series stands at 3-2 Leafs. Let's tie 'er up so no bragging or flaming rights by leaf fans. I'll never hear the end of it from Leaf fans if we lose that game.
They want to tank. If we lose the final game of the season and solidify ourselves with the better pick. We get to brag.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
really... one pick and everything is a-ok ?
Obviously not, but which is better: This team + 'awesome pick' or this team + 'average pick'.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:39 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not only it's weak, it's non-existant. He was signed knowing the possible consequence. Even if they didn't know about the setbacks, they know about the possibility of being re-injured. And Gauthier build his D knowing full well about it too. There is NO excuse. Yes, of course, we'd be a better team with him. Just like the Bruins would be a better team with Savard. One day, you need to move on. Now, WE have the chance to have him back and hopefully healthy next season. But there will always be a question mark for him and you HAVE to build a stronger D with in mind that he could go any day. That's the choice you made by signing him.
And that is true for any players, not just Markov. You have to build a D that will be good even when the 7th and 8th players are in. And I feel that's the main thing this management didn't do. We were often left with playing 3-4 rookies-sophomore(Subban, Emelin, St-Denis, Weber, etc) all year, no matter the talent of these guys, it's a big risk to take. I hope we don't repeat the same mistake and expect Nathan and Jarred to step up as savior next year.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
and whats crazy is the success we had two years ago and how close we were from beating the eventual champs last year ..to this
In the NHL it's a fine line between making the playoffs and making some noise or being a bottom 4 team

Boston win the cup last year, in 05-06 they finished 26th overall, in in 09-10 they blew a 3-0 series lead against Phillie after sneaking into the playoffs on the last week with 91 points.

Overall I think this year's Habs are much better than their current record. Are they potentially a top 10 team(in the NHL) probably not but had the season taken a few different turns they could easily be 5th or 6th best team in the conference like last year.

There is a solid base in place, frontline #1 goalie, pretty solid group of centers 1-3, a couple of big wingers that can score a guy like Gionta that can score 25-30. Bourque even in a bad year is on pace for 20. On defense we have the potential of a good top 4 and some solid depth. There are some young players who could get a taste next year and be ready in 13-14(Kristo Quailer Bournival Gallagher Ellis Tinordi Pateryn Beaulieu).

In order to bounce back I think this off season we need...

1-to dump Gomez and his cap hit(trade or waivers), no buouts(unless there is an amnesty one)
2-trade Kaberle(should be doable once the big name UFA's are gone)
3-sign a top 6 winger but only for 2-3 years, to play with Gionta and Plekanec
4-re-sign Moen for a reasonable rate(1.5-1.75 mil/year for 2-3 years), obviously extending Subban and Price is a priority along with Diaz and Emelin
5-sign a solid stay at home #3-4 d-man for 3-4.25 mil, preferably no longer than 3 years...maybe 4 if he is realtively young.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Yes, but I'm still shocked at how it all turned out.

He added Cole, and we had DD and Pacioretty for the full season. That's one badass line we didn't have. Hammer got replaced by Gorges. In theory, we should have done as good as last year even with a less experienced and injured D.

I don't understand how we couldn't make 2 more good lines with Plekanec, Cammy, Gomez. Gionta, AK, Eller and Moen. Well, I do. Gionta got injured, Gomez still sucked and Cammy .. I dunno what was wrong with him but yeah..

But really, at the beginning of the season I was definitely not expecting a huge struggled like that.

What I really blame Gauthier for is scrambling to salvage the bad situation and getting Kaberle and Bourque instead of trading Spacho and Cammy for picks/prospects saddling us with yet more horrible contracts and players with zero heart.
Good post. I look at this year and this is what I see:

A massive implosion by Gionta, Gomer and Cammy. The three vets who were expected to lead this team. Unreal. I've never seen anything like it before. 40 years of watching the Habs, I've never seen 3 important vets fail like this before.

PG should have seen this. He should have known last summer. There was something wrong with these three, individually and collectively.

What actions he could have taken, I'm not sure. But that's not my job. There was a big problem, and it should have been recognized.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:44 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Obviously not, but which is better: This team + 'awesome pick' or this team + 'average pick'.
TEAM + AVERAGE PICK. Obviously.

Awesome < Average.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Why is it so hard for people to grasp this.

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:48 PM
habitue*

Quote:
This team with a trade of its 1st pick for a proven - still young - player.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Yes, but I'm still shocked at how it all turned out.

He added Cole, and we had DD and Pacioretty for the full season. That's one badass line we didn't have. Hammer got replaced by Gorges. In theory, we should have done as good as last year even with a less experienced and injured D.

I don't understand how we couldn't make 2 more good lines with Plekanec, Cammy, Gomez. Gionta, AK, Eller and Moen. Well, I do. Gionta got injured, Gomez still sucked and Cammy .. I dunno what was wrong with him but yeah..

But really, at the beginning of the season I was definitely not expecting a huge struggled like that.

What I really blame Gauthier for is scrambling to salvage the bad situation and getting Kaberle and Bourque instead of trading Spacho and Cammy for picks/prospects saddling us with yet more horrible contracts and players with zero heart.
Yeah, that's the worst thing that happened. It seems like gauthier was first in salvage mode with the addition of kaberle and firing parts of the coaching staff, but then he went into cost cutting and future mode with the gill, and kostitsyn moves. Whether Gauthier had a free reign or whether he was complying with molson's orders, I dont know. But the whole process looks bush league. Their team philosophy has been in constant flux all year.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:08 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
In order to bounce back I think this off season we need...

1-to dump Gomez and his cap hit(trade or waivers), no buouts(unless there is an amnesty one)
2-trade Kaberle(should be doable once the big name UFA's are gone)
3-sign a top 6 winger but only for 2-3 years, to play with Gionta and Plekanec
4-re-sign Moen for a reasonable rate(1.5-1.75 mil/year for 2-3 years), obviously extending Subban and Price is a priority along with Diaz and Emelin
5-sign a solid stay at home #3-4 d-man for 3-4.25 mil, preferably no longer than 3 years...maybe 4 if he is realtively young.
Bold: I would sooner buy out kaberle than take the chance he comes back next season if no one will trade for him.
3: Good idea, but most players want length attached to their deals.
4: Yes please

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:15 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Bold: I would sooner buy out kaberle than take the chance he comes back next season if no one will trade for him.
3: Good idea, but most players want length attached to their deals.
4: Yes please
Kaberle really isn't as bad as people say and he could still bounce back next year. Buying him out would be a terrible mistake.

We should trade him if we can get some assets but otherwise he should be given a chance. Move him at the deadline next year if he's still not a good fit.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
No, the must win game is against the Leafs the final game of the season. Habs do not want to lose the season series. Series stands at 3-2 Leafs. Let's tie 'er up so no bragging or flaming rights by leaf fans. I'll never hear the end of it from Leaf fans if we lose that game.
Would you settle for a win in OT if that meant getting a higher draft pick?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 06:56 PM
teh doors
worst habs poster

Question, thinking out loud, is Markov-Kaberle a viable pairing next year? Or is my brain just stuck in a 2008 time warp?

teh doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:03 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Question, thinking out loud, is Markov-Kaberle a viable pairing next year? Or is my brain just stuck in a 2008 time warp?
Brain is completely stuck, might even be stuck in reverse

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 07:09 PM
teh doors
worst habs poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikizaz View Post
Brain is completely stuck, might even be stuck in reverse
Imagine the repetitiveness of them coming up the ice. Markov to Kaberle, to Markov, back to Kaberle, to Markov, to Kaberle, to Markov!

teh doors is offline   Reply With Quote