HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A draft poll...

View Poll Results: Which do you do armchair GMs?
Draft a franchise center + shift Desharnais to wing 33 17.84%
Draft a franchise winger + keep Desharnais at center 15 8.11%
Doesn't matter - draft BPA 137 74.05%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I don't get the Grigorenko love, guys. Seems like he gained a little following here and now people call for him without knowing why. In my opinion you can make a better pick where you will be slotted. Grigorenko has been putting up points against weaker teams and isn't consistent whatsoever.
Love for Grigorenko isn't unanimous here. In fact, slightly more Hab fans here probably prefer a guy like Galchenyuk over Grigorenko, if anything.

That being said, it has been statistically shown that Grigorenko has been putting up points against strong opposition as much as he has against weaker opposition in the Q. I don't get how these factually incorrect ideas permeate.

Slew Foots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:54 AM
DenverHabsFan

It looks like we're going to end up 3rd and I like it. That gives us decent odds to win the lottery. If we don't, since there is no clear can't-miss prospect, then we have CBJ and EDM speaking ahead of us and that takes some of the pressure to pick the best guy in the draft off. CBJ's draft record is so bad I would rather let them pick ahead of us.

I'm mostly concerned with the TBL and TOR games in April. They are the only real threat to us picking 3rd at this point.

DenverHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

For all we know, the rumors that Timmins doesn't like Grigo that much may only be misinformation. This isn't as far-fetched than it sounds; it has happened in the past (I think I read it in Future Greats and Hearthbreaks), and maybe the habs actually like him a lot but fear he'll be snatched before we can pick him.

One thing for sure: we are the team in the best position to have the best read on him. He's playing right in our neighbour, for a team with great exposure and for a coach who is close to the organisation (and who very well could also coach our team next season). All the team scouts were probably able to see him multiple times over the season. I don't know what their decision is going to be, but we can be certain it will be an informed one.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:03 PM
DenverHabsFan

Galchenyuk and Yakupov are supposed to play tomorrow night for their series opener. Is there a stream / TV coverage for that series?

Old
03-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Carey Chant

vCash: 800
If we can't get Yakupov then I want Grigorenko, I don't care if people are not sold on him, I'm willing to take the risk on that type of player since we haven't had someone with that size/potential in the middle since...well, I can't even remember. He reminds me a little of Jagr, slowing down the game etc, in 2-3 years he will dominate. Not to mention the Roy factor.

If we can't get either of those guys I'm all in for BPA, including a dmen, I'd just go hard after Radulov in the off season to satisfy our "Russian" fever.

Carey Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
When that center comes up, we can shift the most versatile center, Desharnais, to the wing. The new guy, Pleks and Eller makes a great top 3 while Desharnais adds center depth as well whenever one of those 3 guys is injured. You do that and you start competing. A line of Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Desharnais is a great 1st line. He'll still be setting up two goal scorers. And it gives us a power forward, Cole, to play with Plekanec.
While it might look good on paper, I don't see DD as a winger at all. He's got 2 guys with him atm that take care of the work along the boards and I'm not sure he can handle it as well as Cole, Pacioretty and the like.

Then again, I might be wrong, he's the type of player that tends to prove a lot of people wrong.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 12:31 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
While it might look good on paper, I don't see DD as a winger at all. He's got 2 guys with him atm that take care of the work along the boards and I'm not sure he can handle it as well as Cole, Pacioretty and the like.
In a scenario where he would play wing DD would likely not be facing top-line opposition (as MaxPac, Cole and Gionta at least would be ahead on the depth chart) which would help. He's not big, but his escapability is great and his low center of gravity has allowed him to steal a few pucks from bigger players. It would also reduce his defensive responsibilities, which isn't really his strong suit.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post

Then again, I might be wrong, he's the type of player that tends to prove a lot of people wrong.
I know what you mean. The problem is that keeping him at center kills our remaining lines. Drafting one of the two centers available will likely have them in the lineup before Forsberg, who is only 17. We really have nobody to play with Plekanec or Eller right now. At least this way, Desharnais who is proving people wrong, can still make his impact on the top line.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:09 PM
phillytennis

Russians Disappear During Crunch Time!!!

Russians generally don't perform well during crunch time...final twenty games
and playoffs...few exceptions...Bure, Malkin and Datsuyk...major risk picking
Grigs second overall...can he take the pressure in Mtl?
Grigorenko...might be a great pick in the 7th to 10th spot.
Matt Dumba...appeals to me...smart with the puck...great skater and puck-handler.
Imagine...Dumba, Subban and Beaulieu...match these offensive defencemen with
a defensive minded defencemen...like Emelin, Thinordi and Gorges.
Impressive backline!!!!!
Regarding Plekanek...he needs to certainly up his game. A good centre makes
others around him much better. Remember, Gretzky was able to make Semenko
a very productive player...Crosby makes Dupuis look like a threat all the time.

Last edited by phillytennis: 03-22-2012 at 08:31 PM.
phillytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Chant View Post
If we can't get Yakupov then I want Grigorenko, I don't care if people are not sold on him, I'm willing to take the risk on that type of player since we haven't had someone with that size/potential in the middle since....
Doug Wickenheiser?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Shadyone33

So here's a scenario. Say we go on a good streak to end the year. Say we pass 4 more teams and end up with the 7th pick. Do you

A) Think our current or new GM tries to move a few of our D prospects as well as our 1st to get the 1st pick?

B) would you be willing to do so?

C) Maybe try to move our pick and see if we can get one of the Anaheim big 3?

Personally I'd like to see us do something AGGRESSIVE for once. I wanna see a bold move instead of just picking from our spot and hoping it works. I want to make a move and get more of a "can't miss" prospect.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:47 AM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
So here's a scenario. Say we go on a good streak to end the year. Say we pass 4 more teams and end up with the 7th pick. Do you

A) Shoot yourself in the ****** head?
Yes.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 08:27 AM
Fozz

I'm pleasantly surprised by the results of this poll. I though more fans were caught in the big first-line center fantasy. I'm happy and relieved to see it's not the case.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
So here's a scenario. Say we go on a good streak to end the year. Say we pass 4 more teams and end up with the 7th pick...
Let's be positive. Our remaining games this month are OTT-PHI-FLA-NYR-WAS. All teams trying to improve their position in the standings and crucial game for WAS.

I found this bit of research (didn't check if accurate): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/37.../137030/public

Looks like in the past decade, the last team in the standings won the lottery LESS than 50% of the time. We have a 1 in 5 chance to pick 1st. If we pick 3rd or 4th, BPA is still going to be a major contributor in 2-3 years. That player would be on an inexpensive ELC and we can always get experience on the UFA market.

I really hope the Habs don't trade that pick for some so-called impact player in their late 20's early 30's who might not be a good fit in this city. I'd rather see us build a new identity around homegrown prospects for once.

Old
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
thunderthighs

Quote:

A) Think our current or new GM tries to move a few of our D prospects as well as our 1st to get the 1st pick?

B) would you be willing to do so?

C) Maybe try to move our pick and see if we can get one of the Anaheim big 3?

Personally I'd like to see us do something AGGRESSIVE for once. I wanna see a bold move instead of just picking from our spot and hoping it works. I want to make a move and get more of a "can't miss" prospect.
I'd be happy if the Canadiens traded their 2nd or third overall pick with a prospect or another pick so that we can draft Yakupov. I think he will be the best player out of this year's draft.

thunderthighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderthighs View Post
I'd be happy if the Canadiens traded their 2nd or third overall pick with a prospect or another pick so that we can draft Yakupov. I think he will be the best player out of this year's draft.
If it's CBJ, Howson was rumored to be asking for the moon for Nash so I doubt the price for their 1st pick would be reasonable.

He may not be the sharpest knife on the block but he got badly burned with the Carter trade and I expect them to be more cautious going forward.

I think a package for Huberdeau is more realistic. Maybe FLA would be happy with our pick if it lands them a franchise D + something else thrown in. All depends what they think they need the most. Worth a call in my opinion.

Am I the only one who trusts Timmins with our pick? I think people are dwelling too much on past failures and forget we generally draft well. Plus, it's not like we're one player away from being a contender. We need to do well with those 2nd round picks as well.

Old
03-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up trading one or more of our picks - including maybe our 1st - for a roster player. Especially if the players we are interested in get drafted before us.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 01:11 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Let's be positive. Our remaining games this month are OTT-PHI-FLA-NYR-WAS. All teams trying to improve their position in the standings and crucial game for WAS.

I found this bit of research (didn't check if accurate): http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/37.../137030/public

Looks like in the past decade, the last team in the standings won the lottery LESS than 50% of the time. We have a 1 in 5 chance to pick 1st. If we pick 3rd or 4th, BPA is still going to be a major contributor in 2-3 years. That player would be on an inexpensive ELC and we can always get experience on the UFA market.

I really hope the Habs don't trade that pick for some so-called impact player in their late 20's early 30's who might not be a good fit in this city. I'd rather see us build a new identity around homegrown prospects for once.
Good points. I am hoping we have a decent finish to start next year off right, but you are correct, teams will be looking to improve their position.

I also agree with NOT trading the pick and having a big time prospect.

Old
03-24-2012, 01:12 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderthighs View Post
This is exactly what I'm getting at. Move up at all costs!

Old
03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we end up trading one or more of our picks - including maybe our 1st - for a roster player. Especially if the players we are interested in get drafted before us.
Me too. If it's for a winger like Nash or Bobby Ryan, or for Huberdeau, no problem.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:06 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Here's an issue for you. We have two needs in the top 6 - a big center and a top 6 winger. So here's the question:

Would you prefer to draft a franchise center (Grigorenko / Galchenyuk) and shift Desharnais to wing, or draft a franchise winger (Forsberg) and keep Desharnais at center?

What's our bigger draft need going forward?

Mods, feel free to merge with the draft thread.
How about draft the big center and trade Plekanec?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:12 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytennis View Post
Russians generally don't perform well during crunch time...final twenty games
and playoffs...few exceptions...Bure, Malkin and Datsuyk...major risk picking
Grigs second overall...can he take the pressure in Mtl?
Grigorenko...might be a great pick in the 7th to 10th spot.
Matt Dumba...appeals to me...smart with the puck...great skater and puck-handler.
Imagine...Dumba, Subban and Beaulieu...match these offensive defencemen with
a defensive minded defencemen...like Emelin, Thinordi and Gorges.
Impressive backline!!!!!
Regarding Plekanek...he needs to certainly up his game. A good centre makes
others around him much better. Remember, Gretzky was able to make Semenko
a very productive player...Crosby makes Dupuis look like a threat all the time.
Don't agree on Dumba. Defensemen drafted this high usually underachieve. Subban, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Emelin, Ellis and Gorges signed long term our D should be set.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
BPA. (Hopefully not a defenseman lol)
Problem (at least with my rankings) is that 3 of the top-5 are defenseman.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:33 PM
OneSharpMarble

I don't understand this poll at all, why does who we draft have any bearing on DD?

Eller should be on Pleks wing with Gionta on the other side, leave DD's line alone and let the rookie get his legs under him on the third line with Bourque/Leblanc/Moen/White etc.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:40 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

I voted for the draft franchise center. But I dont see a need to move DD to wing.

DD, Gal or Grig, Pleks and White for the 4th line.

Eller being move to wing or traded makes more sense.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote