HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Staal and signing Ryan Suter

Old
03-22-2012, 09:28 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBorat View Post
funny enough, the things the NYR org has said seem to contradict what you say.
At the beginning of last offseason they said they were looking to add 1-2 elite pieces that would supplement the core. They added Richards. They will bring in 1 more.
Sather said he felt the top LW spot can be filled within the organization last year, too.

iamitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Why exactly would a player that wants to go to Boston spend his own money to workout with the Rangers before the season just to get a chance to meet some of his future teammates?

Going further, why would he try to graduate early so he can go up to the NHL sooner rather than later?

Going even further, why would Kreider go to a Bruins game, the only one I think he's been at this year, that happens to have the Rangers in it, and while at that game spend time with his fellow Rangers?

Seems like a guy determined to be a Bruin if you ask me.
People have done crazier things. The Bruins look at that and say "he was committed to being a pro and a good teammate to the team that owns his rights." Not so much committed to being a Ranger. If he waits out until June of next year and goes back to BC, he could very well end up being a Bruin, and denying that fact is insanity. Now if he decides to come here instead next year instead of BC, then this speculation is meaningless, but at this point it has merit. He might not be going back to BC to screw the Rangers, but out of loyalty to BC. Then after the season is over, if he wants to sign with the Rangers for a playoff run he can, or he can hold out and go join his childhood team. The ball is totally in Kreider's court and as of now, nobody knows if he is going back to BC or not.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Not advocating trading Staal but hypothetically if you were going to do so, you would want to target Weber on the open market, who is a right-handed shot and gives your team a blast from the point on the PP:

McDonagh - Weber
Del Zotto - Girardi
Erixon - Sauer

Staal + 1st to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan...

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:30 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Sather said he felt the top LW spot can be filled within the organization last year, too.
AKA Hagelin

Old
03-22-2012, 09:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
AKA Hagelin
As good as Hagelin has played he is by no means the top line impact Lw'er that this team needs, and I am a huge fan of Hagelin. Hagelin will never be a 40-40 guy. What Hagelin is is another great young player that will eventually add to this team's depth when were reading to make that run. I've said it all along, we still need another impact forward in order for this team to be legit. The offense isn't there yet IMO.

03-22-2012, 09:38 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
As good as Hagelin has played he is by no means the top line impact Lw'er that this team needs, and I am a huge fan of Hagelin. Hagelin will never be a 40-40 guy. What Hagelin is is another great young player that will eventually add to this team's depth when were reading to make that run. I've said it all along, we still need another impact forward in order for this team to be legit. The offense isn't there yet IMO.
I definitely think Hagelin can be a 40 goal scorer. Then again, that might be a pipe dream but with a full season and offseason under his belt, he could very well be a 75-80 point player. If he'd played here for all 82 games he could have been a 60 point player in his rookie season.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

No thanks.

I like my team.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:46 PM
ltrangerfan

RE Nash

I also believe that there will be more bidders for Nash next year.

Anyone interested will be able to arrange Cap space in the summer.

I looked at the rumored deals put out by the media and thought that none looked like it would get the deal done. Does Columbus look at Dubi with his contract a plus or a minus? Perhaps Columbus might take less if Dubi wasn't offered?

Surely, if Nash says he's only interested in going to the Rangers the terms will change but... does he sound like the player who is looking to hurt Columbus?

How much teams will truly pay to get Nash will somewhat depend on how teams end the season. Could Nash put a franchise over the top? Is Toronto his childhood love?

Do I believe he'll end up a Ranger? Not really. I don't believe that Sather can pull the trigger on a risky trade (giving up the future for a possible Stanley cup champion). Maybe the deal could have been done when Sather arrived in NY. Can a blockbuster deal get done near the end of his career?

Just one man's opinion.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:07 PM
BroadwayHustle

I honestly think though what we are missing is the big shot on the point for the power play, and even 5 on 5 play. We cycle the puck well and get the puck back to the defense, where they try to shoot the puck.

BroadwayHustle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Trident61494

I dunno WHERE you guys think we're getting all this money from. How do you all plan on signing guys like Cally, MDZ, McD...just to name a few...down the road? These are guys we wanna keep (assuming everyone doesn't want to trade them away when they have a bad game) in the future. Our youngest guys on defense who have the brightest futures are on their last or next to last years of their contract...

And what about Hank? Next year is the next to last year of his contract...hope you guys don't think we're going to pay him with smiles and Applebees Gift cards...especially when we make it to finals either this year or next.

Trident61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
I definitely think Hagelin can be a 40 goal scorer. Then again, that might be a pipe dream but with a full season and offseason under his belt, he could very well be a 75-80 point player. If he'd played here for all 82 games he could have been a 60 point player in his rookie season.
You have very lofty expectations for Hagelin.

I see Callahan-like production in Hagelin's prime: 20-30-50 or 30-30-60.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:16 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Rick Nash remains number one on my list. Don't think he will be a Ranger though.

03-22-2012, 11:31 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

our cap could not take it. we are better off going for Parise for that $$$.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 11:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
AKA Hagelin
he didn't say LW can be filled from within THIS season did he? he was probably talking about Kreider.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Excellent point about Hagelin. In my opinion, the Rangers issues going forward are twofold:

1) We definitely need another impact goal scorer no matter when Kreider gets here and what he ends up developing into as goal scorer.
2) We have four defensemen(Staal, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Erixson) who play the left side and whose games are for the most part pretty similar.
That leaves us with a need for a big, physical crease clearing defenseman who preferably plays the right side. Hopefully, McIIrath develops into that player.

I firmly believe that there should be a sense of urgency to at least attempt to make a deal for an impact goal scorer because the window of opportunity for the current group of players here won't remain open for more than 3-5 years tops.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
I really think that's a bit of a stretch for Hagelin. I can see him more in the 18-25 goals/25-30 assist range which would be awesome production for a guy drafted in the 6th round.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:30 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Not advocating trading Staal but hypothetically if you were going to do so, you would want to target Weber on the open market, who is a right-handed shot and gives your team a blast from the point on the PP:

McDonagh - Weber
Del Zotto - Girardi
Erixon - Sauer

as delicious as that sounds, Ryan + Weber = collapsed salary cap, dontcha think? Or "see you later <insert RFA name>"

Old
03-23-2012, 12:57 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

McDonagh - Weber
Del Zotto - Girardi
Erixon - Sauer

Suter is likely gone, so I don't see them letting Weber walk.

They're going to have to pay one of them this summer. Don't see it being both. I think Suter is DET bound.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:03 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
They're going to have to pay one of them this summer. Don't see it being both. I think Suter is DET bound.
Anywhere but Philly.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 02:44 AM
egelband

Staal's value is lower-than-ever now. Not the time to trade him. And regardless, I really like him as a Ranger and as a player so would prefer the Rangers kept him.
The team's still developing. The offense will get a bit better going forward. If its not quite there yet - and I agree they need another scorer - Sather can find it without moving a key guy, I bet.

egelband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:14 AM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
I really think that's a bit of a stretch for Hagelin. I can see him more in the 18-25 goals/25-30 assist range which would be awesome production for a guy drafted in the 6th round.
Like I said, in an 80 game season he's on pace for 55-60 points and that's in his rookie year. Barring some setback you would expect him to improve.

Old
03-23-2012, 04:43 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

McDonagh - Weber
Del Zotto - Girardi
Erixon - Sauer

I am not advocating this either. Just looking at it... economically. I DO NOT THINK we trade 2 homegrown core pieces - but for the sake of argument say we did.

Capwise it could work if the following happened:
  • Trade Staal, Dubinsky, mid prospect, NYR 1st 2012 to Anaheim for B Ryan, Anaheim 1st 2012, signing rights to J Schultz
  • Sign free agent R Suter for 7,5 M for 6 years

FORWARDS
Bobby Ryan ($5.100m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Marian Gaborik ($7.500m)
Chris Kreider ($1.750m) / Derek Stepan ($0.875m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Carl Hagelin ($0.875m) / Artem Anisimov ($1.875m) / Mats Z.-Aasen ($0.951m)
Michael Rupp ($1.500m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Brandon Prust ($1.350m)
John Mitchell ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($1.300m) / Ryan Suter ($7.500m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.300m) / Daniel Girardi ($3.325m)
Tim Erixon ($1.750m) / Mike Sauer ($1.250m)
Stu Bickel ($0.660m)

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.100m)

BUYOUTS
Chris Drury ($1.667m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,893,834; BONUSES: $2,362,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,406,166

I guess this on paper would make us a better team. Next year. But as a team unit - dunno??? But we would still also face cap HELL the next year (after next season) trying to resign McD, Stepan, Hagelin, AA & Sauer as RFAs. That is gonna cost us plenty! Regardless...

PROSPECTS
Prospects in the pipeline would be:
Schultz, McIllraith, Parlett, Ceresnak in Hartford on D
Thomas, Yogan, JAM (I think he will be signed), Bourque up front in Hartford

Noreau in juniors on D
Miller, MSC and McColgan in juniors
Fogarty in NCAA

Fasth & Lindberg in Europe

DRAFT 2012
Anaheims 1st rounder 2012 (presumably a much better player than our pick) plus our other picks (#2, #3, #4). Our #5 (Chicago for Scott!), #6 (Nashville for Ceresnak) & #7 (Toronto for Mitchell) are all gone now...

That is quite a solid prospect Park, I must admit... Maybe something to hopefully build off when all our RFA contracts need to be resigned. I dunno???
Very, very unlikely scenario though

Last edited by BBKers: 03-23-2012 at 04:53 AM.
BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:47 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
How about we just go back in time and pick Anze Kopitar instead of Staal?
Nah it's better to go back and draft Giroux

Back to topic, I don't know if Suters salary would be especially good for the Rangers, when we already got one of the best defense in the league and some solid prospects aswell. Rangers need high end quality in the top six, let's focus on that please.

Last edited by EuroFlair: 03-23-2012 at 05:53 AM.
EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:50 AM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
Quote:
Reality checks:

Parise, Nash, and Ryan will not be on NYR.
Another reality check. Staal will not be traded and Suter will not be a NYR.
Biggest offseason move will be a Gaustad like signing.
Thank you Buzz Killington

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 06:55 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I what world will Suter get $7.5 million BBker's?!?!

That's elite money for a non-elite Dman. That's thae same money Gaborik is signed for.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote