HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 draft , what could have been

Old
03-22-2012, 07:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I'm with Tonelli Dean was going to take him no matter what.
There you are!!!

Welcome back. Happy to see your back on the boards.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

It was the 2003 draft, right after the Panthers moved up to take the player the Kings were supposedly set to select (Anthony Stewart). They sure did look unprepared. That draft still angers me. From the fans at the draft party chanting for Carter (not Jeff, but Anson Carter), and Taylor sitting on his hands not attempting to package his two first rounders to move up. The Devils moved up to draft Parise, and all they gave up was a 1st and a 2nd. The Panthers jumped ahead of the Kings at 25 by trading two 2nd round picks to Tampa Bay.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I distinctly recall Bob McKenzie alluding to Carolina being prepared to take Teubert at #14 (they took Zach Boychuk instead). Wasn't super thrilled with the Teubert pick at the time, but thought he fit in a specific spot with Doughty/Johnson/Hickey on board. With previous drafts, stay at home D tend to be the guys that get overslotted in hindsight.

Teubert was more or less ranked around that area all year. He helped lead Canada to Gold at the U-18s and led the club with a +8. It's not unusual for a player's stock to rise as the tourney is the last on ice impression that some players get to make. From the U-18, Jake Allen vaulted himself from a relative unknown to a high 2nd rounder.
My feeling is you never draft a stay at home defenseman in the first round. Look around the league there are many good stay at home defenseman and I am guessing only a very small pct were drafted in the first round. If your going to draft a D man early he better good on off and def.

Pucknut50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:08 PM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

vCash: 1015
I could Imagine pick 26 plus pick 44 equals Steve Bernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
It was the 2003 draft, right after the Panthers moved up to take the player the Kings were supposedly set to select (Anthony Stewart). They sure did look unprepared. That draft still angers me. From the fans at the draft party chanting for Carter (not Jeff, but Anson Carter), and Taylor sitting on his hands not attempting to package his two first rounders to move up. The Devils moved up to draft Parise, and all they gave up was a 1st and a 2nd. The Panthers jumped ahead of the Kings at 25 by trading two 2nd round picks to Tampa Bay.

drugold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
There you are!!!

Welcome back. Happy to see your back on the boards.
Thanks man! Good to see you too!

03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
HookKing

I'm rather amused that everyone seems to think DL would have taken Doughty number one when just a short time ago the arguments were that Doughty was not a guarantee as DL's first choice as a Dman!

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:47 PM
drbob

Hickey was DL's worst pick:

as a top 5 overall pick,

worse than Teubert,

Hickey wasn't considered a top 20 pick by most and DL went out on a limb, Hickey was big reach by any standards, and it hasn't paid off,

you can't get them all right, but Top 5 or Top 3 overall picks had better be successful cuz if you miss too many of them and miss with 1st round picks, you will have a mediocre team and get yourself fired,

fortunately for DL, he has made some good picks, like Simmonds, Quick, Bernier, etc.,

but I have to admit that I wish we had lost that last game and gotten Stamkos instead of Doughty, especially with DD being way overpaid...

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 09:58 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing View Post
I'm rather amused that everyone seems to think DL would have taken Doughty number one when just a short time ago the arguments were that Doughty was not a guarantee as DL's first choice as a Dman!
Huh?

I don't remember that at all.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:19 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Say wat?

Dean went to Doughty's house and interviewed him in his own home. That's where Dean saw the Kings phone and the poster of Gretzky in a Kings uni. It was stated by Dean that was when he knew Doughty was his #1 choice.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:19 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Huh?

I don't remember that at all.
From a Feb thread --

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing
Other than Simmonds and Doughty (no brainer) then who has done exactly what?

From SJMay:
First, Doughty wasn't a no brainer, for everyone that is saying he is, get your heads out of your collective *****, that has been debunked OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, there were a group of 3-4 Dmen that were CLOSE in age and skill and promise.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:20 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
From a Feb thread --

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookKing
Other than Simmonds and Doughty (no brainer) then who has done exactly what?

From SJMay:
First, Doughty wasn't a no brainer, for everyone that is saying he is, get your heads out of your collective *****, that has been debunked OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER again, there were a group of 3-4 Dmen that were CLOSE in age and skill and promise.
Just saying it is "debunked", don't make it so.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2012, 10:25 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Just saying it is "debunked", don't make it so.
True and is that the only person claiming that it was "debunked" because that isn't "everyone" saying that DL didn't think that DD was the true number one (over ZB and LS).

No offence to anyone but I agree, this isn't a smoking gun or anything like it to me.

Old
03-22-2012, 10:26 PM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Say wat?

Dean went to Doughty's house and interviewed him in his own home. That's where Dean saw the Kings phone and the poster of Gretzky in a Kings uni. It was stated by Dean that was when he knew Doughty was his #1 choice.
That was after we knew we had the #2 pick right?