HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Connor McDavid - Erie Otters, OHL (2015 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2012, 11:39 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
It will come out approximately a week before the draft. That's normally around the time when the draft media guide is released.

Old
03-22-2012, 01:50 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
He says he is not required to report but no one is going to kidnap and drag him there if he really doesn't want to be there. At no point does that say he doesn't have to report and can play for another team.
No, he has said that he can report and be traded.

Someone on Twitter:
Quote:
BrianHuddle @SeanLafortune @GoErieHockey I was under impression one of the stipulations of "exceptional status" requires him to report wherever drafted.
http://twitter.com/BrianHuddle/statu...34411789672448

Fernandes' reply:
Quote:
GoErieHockey @BrianHuddle @seanlafortune I thought so too, but OHL VP Ted Baker said there are no stipulations attached to exceptional status.
http://twitter.com/GoErieHockey/stat...35335102787585

Someone else:
Quote:
EarlWangler @GoErieHockey so he can't trade the pick like a similar situation that the Rams did with the number 2 for players and additional picks
http://twitter.com/EarlWangler/statu...58385617645568

Fernandes' reply:
Quote:
GoErieHockey @EarlWangler it's either pick the kid and trade if he doesn't report or pick another kid.
http://twitter.com/GoErieHockey/stat...65362141900803

Old
03-22-2012, 04:18 AM
scoutman1
Twitter - scoutman33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Hmm... I don't know about that because EliteProspects is very very very strict about Statistics reporting.

Humble Ryan O'Reilly was drafted #1 overall and drudged out to North Western Pennsylvania to play for an American team in a small town. This kid is legit.
I think they probably just put his stats on there from say seeing them in an article or something because other players from mcdavids team like Ho-Sang do not have points listed.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
mapleleaf979

Mcdavid stats:

Regular Season 33G+39A= 72 points in 33 games played
Playoffs - 15G + 16a= 31 points in 14 playoff games
Fitzsimmons Tourney- 7G+3A= 10 points in 5 games
ohl cup- 11G+8A = 19 points in 7 games
CCT- 2G+9A- 11 points in 7 games

Totals 68G+75A= 143 points in 66 games.

**not including Silver Sticks and Marlboros classic.

Old
03-22-2012, 11:34 AM
hockeykid87

I really can't believe some of these kids refusing to go to where they could potentially be drafted. Yea it might be a bit strange to go to the US to play your junior hockey, but deal with it. Where does a 15 year old kid get off refusing to play where he gets drafted 1st overall? It's something any hockey player would love, getting taken 1st, and some of these kids refuse to play for the team that picks them. Just my opinion, but I think it's pathetic

Old
03-22-2012, 11:55 AM
SPORTSMANIAC

Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid87 View Post
I really can't believe some of these kids refusing to go to where they could potentially be drafted. Yea it might be a bit strange to go to the US to play your junior hockey, but deal with it. Where does a 15 year old kid get off refusing to play where he gets drafted 1st overall? It's something any hockey player would love, getting taken 1st, and some of these kids refuse to play for the team that picks them. Just my opinion, but I think it's pathetic
You may not like it, but lets face it kids have options and they use it as leverage. While I think Mcdavid plays in the OHL next season because he wouldn't have applied for exceptional status if he didn't. He could say for example he is thinking about attending Shattuck St. Mary's in Minnesota next year (He couldn't play in the USHL next year or an Ontario Jr. A League because of Hockey Canada's transfer rules). That leaves Erie in a pickle you are damned if you don't you are damned if you do. You can't pass up a talent like him but if you choose him he may not report.

The OHL has fixed that problem a little bit by allowing teams have a window to trade first round draft selections and receiving a compensation pick in the 1st round in the following year.

Why did the OHL do that? Simple. They want all the kids drafted in the first round to report. They don't care what team and if it's just the same teams getting all these high profiled kids so be it because they just don't want them to go to their competitor, the USHL/NCAA.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:11 PM
bsmith14

what am i missing here? other than erie being the worst team in the o this past season is it a **** place to live?

Old
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Tigers1992

The worst part of this speculation, is that there is nothing to it. Those who have never talked with the familiy assume the worst. The family is very, very quiet and dont look to the future. People are making leaps that dont need to be made.

Ive talked with the kid and his parents, they dont want him looking ahead to anything other then today, hense what you heard in that press conference.

Hes going to be an Erie Otter next year.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid87 View Post
Ive said this 3-4 times over, but ill do it again.

As someone who has been involed in the OHL in the past, its not black and white. Some teams treat their players with respect and provide them with everything they need to in order to become better players, but also better people.

Then, there are some organizations that dont. They dont provide tutors on the bus, they dont do police checks on billets, they have players billetting 3-4 per home. It's not a positive envorinment.

Ill never understand why the onus is put on 15 year old kids to do what they are told, yet there never is any onus put on million dollar corperations to raise their standards. Why is that? Seems backwards, no?

Old
03-22-2012, 12:38 PM
mlechtner13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
what am i missing here? other than erie being the worst team in the o this past season is it a **** place to live?
Not at all. I'm friends with several of the Otters this past year. Erie may not be the best place to live, but it definitely isn't the worst. None of them complained to me about living in Erie. If the Otters every start winning again, the hockey atmosphere is awesome at the games.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
mlechtner13

Also, good article from todays paper. I really hope the Otters draft him and he reports to the team. Erie has the young talent and depth. They just need another superstar type player to rally the team.

http://goerie.com/article/20120322/H...or-Erie-Otters

Old
03-22-2012, 01:16 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Ive said this 3-4 times over, but ill do it again.

As someone who has been involed in the OHL in the past, its not black and white. Some teams treat their players with respect and provide them with everything they need to in order to become better players, but also better people.

Then, there are some organizations that dont. They dont provide tutors on the bus, they dont do police checks on billets, they have players billetting 3-4 per home. It's not a positive envorinment.

Ill never understand why the onus is put on 15 year old kids to do what they are told, yet there never is any onus put on million dollar corperations to raise their standards. Why is that? Seems backwards, no?
That does seem backwards (enlightening, by the way). Naturally, being HFBoards, everyone here is looking at it from a very external, draft-oriented point of view rather than an actual life point of view. We miss a lot of factors and considerations around here.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
That does seem backwards (enlightening, by the way). Naturally, being HFBoards, everyone here is looking at it from a very external, draft-oriented point of view rather than an actual life point of view. We miss a lot of factors and considerations around here.
No problem.

Ill never argue that fans shouldn't react passionately. They do it all the time. When a referee makes a call against them, they argue it. When a team looses, they look for blame. Its how the game is, the passion is what makes it great.

I just feel that way to many people react to these players passing on their programs without looking in the mirror. Why did they pass? What about your program makes them not want to go? Sometimes its simply geography. Sometimes its a personal matter that reams respect (sickness in the family), but alot of the time is because the program just is not up to snuff.

Why doesn't your program offer tutors for the road trips? Why do you put 3-4 players in one billet house? Why do you make the players pay for food on the road? Why dont you do police checks on billets? Its rare that fans do it, but looking at their own program and what they dont do will tell the story.

Once every program is equal, and offer the same programs to help player become better students and better people, then lets have the discussion about why players pass on programs, lets put the onus on the players then.

Until that happens, we need to put heat on the programs.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:43 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
No problem.

Ill never argue that fans shouldn't react passionately. They do it all the time. When a referee makes a call against them, they argue it. When a team looses, they look for blame. Its how the game is, the passion is what makes it great.

I just feel that way to many people react to these players passing on their programs without looking in the mirror. Why did they pass? What about your program makes them not want to go? Sometimes its simply geography. Sometimes its a personal matter that reams respect (sickness in the family), but alot of the time is because the program just is not up to snuff.

Why doesn't your program offer tutors for the road trips? Why do you put 3-4 players in one billet house? Why do you make the players pay for food on the road? Why dont you do police checks on billets? Its rare that fans do it, but looking at their own program and what they dont do will tell the story.

Once every program is equal, and offer the same programs to help player become better students and better people, then lets have the discussion about why players pass on programs, lets put the onus on the players then.

Until that happens, we need to put heat on the programs.
I certainly agree with what you are saying but I think the league needs to do a little to change this as well. There is no question the programs could improve but it makes it difficult to improve when the best players refuse to report. Erie is a perfect place for junior hockey when the team is competitive but that's the problem they haven't been in most recent years and the league is risking losing a good fit because fans are getting tired of watching a losing team. I know for a fact if Mcdavid reports and they draft well this team will be competitive and easily make the playoffs next year. With the renovations and a good team Erie would have no problem averaging 4500 fans a game.

Old
03-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I certainly agree with what you are saying but I think the league needs to do a little to change this as well. There is no question the programs could improve but it makes it difficult to improve when the best players refuse to report. Erie is a perfect place for junior hockey when the team is competitive but that's the problem they haven't been in most recent years and the league is risking losing a good fit because fans are getting tired of watching a losing team. I know for a fact if Mcdavid reports and they draft well this team will be competitive and easily make the playoffs next year. With the renovations and a good team Erie would have no problem averaging 4500 fans a game.
Why?

What do road tutors have to do with players reporting? What does making players pay for their lunch on the road have to do with players reporting? Nothing to be honest with you, its just an attitude that a program will have. They would rather save the money then invest in the team.

Not saying that any of those things are issues in Erie, but nothing stops a team from doing the basics, other then not being interested. Those that dont do the basics, usually struggle with players committing. And the questions fans should ask is why dont they do the basics?

I dont think Erie is that bad, and McDavid WILL report there.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-22-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old
03-22-2012, 03:14 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Why?

What do road tutors have to do with players reporting? What does making players pay for their lunch on the road have to do with players reporting? Nothing to be honest with you, its just an attitude that a program will have. They would rather save the money then invest in the team.

Not saying that any of those things are issues in Erie, but nothing stops a team from doing the basics, other then not being interested. Those that dont do the basics, usually struggle with players committing. And the questions fans should ask is why dont they do the basics?

I dont think Erie is that bad, and McDavid WILL report there.
I was referring more so the last part when you said a lot of the time the program is not up to snuff. I know some of the organizations are cheaper but maybe that is because can not afford the things that the higher end programs can such as the tutors and paying for lunch. There is no question the higher end teams have more money to spend which makes access to those things a little easier.

I really like reading the last part when you said McDavid WILL report there as I value what you say because I know you have a lot of knowledge and more so than me and almost all the posters on this site. Im sure Erie is doing everything in their power to make Connor come to Erie and make sure he is happy here.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I was referring more so the last part when you said a lot of the time the program is not up to snuff. I know some of the organizations are cheaper but maybe that is because can not afford the things that the higher end programs can such as the tutors and paying for lunch. There is no question the higher end teams have more money to spend which makes access to those things a little easier.

I really like reading the last part when you said McDavid WILL report there as I value what you say because I know you have a lot of knowledge and more so than me and almost all the posters on this site. Im sure Erie is doing everything in their power to make Connor come to Erie and make sure he is happy here.
Believe me, every program can afford it, some choose not to do it out of a bottom line mentality.

Those who are worried about McDavid reporting have never had a conversation with him and dont know the parents. All season they kept their cards close to the vest. Limited interviews, focus on the next game and dont worry about April. Thats how they are. Until hes drafted or he agrees in principle to an education packege, they wont comment publically. Because of that, people make leaps. Irrisponsable leaps in my opinion.

And although its not on official requirement, they do ask about reporting and willingness to go anywhere. They woudlnt pass anyone who was not willing to do so. The Otters are under no obligation to pick him. Of course the OHL is not going to say publically that McDavid is going to be forced to report, thats bad PR, but trust me, Hockey Canada would not approve the application for someone who doesnt want to play in Erie. Its all part of the process.

Old
03-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Vikke
ViktorAllvin twitter

vCash: 685
First round picks aren't tradable in the OHL, though, right?

Old
03-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
First round picks aren't tradable in the OHL, though, right?
No Sir, they are not. Only defected draft picks are (ie. Max Domi and Adam Bateman)

Old
03-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

i have 7 mutual friends with him on facebook ... im a boss

Old
03-22-2012, 04:21 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Believe me, every program can afford it, some choose not to do it out of a bottom line mentality.

Those who are worried about McDavid reporting have never had a conversation with him and dont know the parents. All season they kept their cards close to the vest. Limited interviews, focus on the next game and dont worry about April. Thats how they are. Until hes drafted or he agrees in principle to an education packege, they wont comment publically. Because of that, people make leaps. Irrisponsable leaps in my opinion.

And although its not on official requirement, they do ask about reporting and willingness to go anywhere. They woudlnt pass anyone who was not willing to do so. The Otters are under no obligation to pick him. Of course the OHL is not going to say publically that McDavid is going to be forced to report, thats bad PR, but trust me, Hockey Canada would not approve the application for someone who doesnt want to play in Erie. Its all part of the process.
That is great for all Otters fan to hear. I believe your opinion on this more so than any other poster that I have recently read on this matter. From what I hear Connor is not only of phenomenal talent on the ice but is a excellent person off the ice as well. I hate saying that he will for sure be in Erie even after reading your post because Im more of a I will believe it when it is written in stone kind of person, but if Erie is lucky enough to get him he is going to be absolutely loved here and treated the best way possible. Brad Boyes was the best player to play for Erie and everyone in the city knows his name and to this day he is still talked about. I remember the playoffs the year they won the title and every team in the league said the atmosphere in Erie was unmatched compared to other teams and of how loud the crowd was. The year they retired his jersey the team was not very good and it was a sellout crowd that night at least 5 years after he played here. With all due respect to Boyes Connor is a much better player at this point in his career so imagine how he would be treated here.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:06 PM
mlechtner13

Quote:
That is great for all Otters fan to hear. I believe your opinion on this more so than any other poster that I have recently read on this matter. From what I hear Connor is not only of phenomenal talent on the ice but is a excellent person off the ice as well. I hate saying that he will for sure be in Erie even after reading your post because Im more of a I will believe it when it is written in stone kind of person, but if Erie is lucky enough to get him he is going to be absolutely loved here and treated the best way possible. Brad Boyes was the best player to play for Erie and everyone in the city knows his name and to this day he is still talked about. I remember the playoffs the year they won the title and every team in the league said the atmosphere in Erie was unmatched compared to other teams and of how loud the crowd was. The year they retired his jersey the team was not very good and it was a sellout crowd that night at least 5 years after he played here. With all due respect to Boyes Connor is a much better player at this point in his career so imagine how he would be treated here.
Yeah. The past two years before this year, the arena wasn't usually sold out, but those who were there made the atmosphere great. Erie is a great hockey town and I'm glad they just extended the arena lease. The Otters will continue to rebuild and keep getting better each and every game next season. They have the young talent with guys like Harper, Fox, Pelech, Brown, Donnay, and Maaskant.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Dhockey16

If Connor McDavid ends up somewhere other than Erie it's because he doesn't want to play here, I think that much is clear. I don't particularly like when players manipulate the draft and force teams to make selections based on who will report rather than skill. I do understand that some situations are not ideal and parents want the best for their children. I wouldn't object to a player being drafted to a team and asking for a trade because they honestly believe they won't benefit from their time in city x. Nathan Mackinnon had a legitimate argument as to why Baie-Comeau would not work, he was drafted and traded accordingly. Max Domi however, lied (strong word, but the truth) about his intention to play College Hockey; he then manipulated the draft all the way to London's pick. I really hope McDavid and his family see the potential on the Erie squad and actually give the city and program a chance, if he comes to the Otters the entire town will embrace him. There'll be a billboard or two with his name on it and he will receive plenty of attention but also be able to attend a relatively good public school (Mcdowell) or a very good private school (Cathedral Prep) and have room to breathe. I'd imagine in a hockey crazy town like London he'd be swamped with reporters and kids all around town. Connor McDavid playing for Erie or not playing for Erie could ultimately determine the Otter's long-term future. Hope the kid gives the us a shot, only time will tell.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Dhockey16

Also, any reason as to why OHL teams can't trade 1st round picks? Baie-Comeau seemed to get a pretty good mix of players and picks for Mackinnon, not sure why it wouldn't work in the O. Some insight would be appreciated.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:50 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhockey16 View Post
If Connor McDavid ends up somewhere other than Erie it's because he doesn't want to play here, I think that much is clear. I don't particularly like when players manipulate the draft and force teams to make selections based on who will report rather than skill. I do understand that some situations are not ideal and parents want the best for their children. I wouldn't object to a player being drafted to a team and asking for a trade because they honestly believe they won't benefit from their time in city x. Nathan Mackinnon had a legitimate argument as to why Baie-Comeau would not work, he was drafted and traded accordingly. Max Domi however, lied (strong word, but the truth) about his intention to play College Hockey; he then manipulated the draft all the way to London's pick. I really hope McDavid and his family see the potential on the Erie squad and actually give the city and program a chance, if he comes to the Otters the entire town will embrace him. There'll be a billboard or two with his name on it and he will receive plenty of attention but also be able to attend a relatively good public school (Mcdowell) or a very good private school (Cathedral Prep) and have room to breathe. I'd imagine in a hockey crazy town like London he'd be swamped with reporters and kids all around town. Connor McDavid playing for Erie or not playing for Erie could ultimately determine the Otter's long-term future. Hope the kid gives the us a shot, only time will tell.
I agree with both previous posts. Only time will tell and we will see what happens. Erie has the utmost potential with the core they have and Connor can turn them into a title contender in two years. The education here really is just as good if not better than other cities. I have lived here my whole life and went through the education system in Millcreek. Which is the school district he would most likely be in.

Closed Thread